Thoughts on taking entire pizzas from the buffet

6 hours ago, casofilia said:

Easy thing, if that bothers you don't eat in the buffet where you could be offended by the actions of others, eat in a serviced restaurant.   We always do!!

I'm with you there, every meal in the restaurants, Breakfast, lunch & dinner. If its a port day and we cant go for lunch it's the pub for table service.

On 4/28/2023 at 9:22 PM, OrangeCatRamblers said:

It was this - it happened at lunchtime, when the focaccia-style pizza pictured above was put out.

My family really liked this pizza! It had a decent amount of "char," which is 👍👍👍 for us. 

I've been reading this thread and it's beyond humorous, so thanks for the laugh!!

I do have a couple of questions though. 

How many of you were waiting in line for pizza when this "gang" approached? I've never really seen a line for pizza in all of my sailings but I guess it can happen at the busiest of times.

Also, how many were in this group that cut the line? "They" said there was 21 in their group, but how many were actually cutting and taking all the pizza? Did they take the spatulas right out of your hands?

This leads me to my last question. How many pizzas did they take? I've only seen pizza pre-sliced so how did they get all of this pizza back to their group? One person can only really carry two plates and you can only fit a few slices on each plate. The logistics of your story makes little sense to me.

And, the only real issue is the cutting in line as, technically, you can take as much as you can fit on your plate at a buffet.

And, there had to be new pizza brought out within 5 - 10 minutes as I've never seen a cruise ship run out of pizza ever!

I've seen many rude things on a cruise ship over the years and this wouldn't even make my top 10 list.

I'd have been annoyed for maybe 30 seconds and then I would have laughed and gotten one of the hundred other things available until new pizza was deployed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

I've been reading this thread and it's beyond humorous, so thanks for the laugh!!

I do have a couple of questions though. 

How many of you were waiting in line for pizza when this "gang" approached? I've never really seen a line for pizza in all of my sailings but I guess it can happen at the busiest of times.

Also, how many were in this group that cut the line? "They" said there was 21 in their group, but how many were actually cutting and taking all the pizza? Did they take the spatulas right out of your hands?

This leads me to my last question. How many pizzas did they take? I've only seen pizza pre-sliced so how did they get all of this pizza back to their group? One person can only really carry two plates and you can only fit a few slices on each plate. The logistics of your story makes little sense to me.

And, the only real issue is the cutting in line as, technically, you can take as much as you can fit on your plate at a buffet.

And, there had to be new pizza brought out within 5 - 10 minutes as I've never seen a cruise ship run out of pizza ever!

I've seen many rude things on a cruise ship over the years and this wouldn't even make my top 10 list.

I'd have been annoyed for maybe 30 seconds and then I would have laughed and gotten one of the hundred other things available until new pizza was deployed.

Oh. My. Gosh. Do you work in HR? This sounds like my day. Every. Single. Day. Quizzing employees on whatever stupid thing they did. Asking about 1,000,000 until I can sus out the actual truth. BTW, is sus/sussed still used by the kiddos? Now that us older Millennials are using it? I can't imagine they are. 🙂 I'm with you, though. I would have been annoyed and may have thrown an elbow to make them drop the pizza, but then would have laughed about it later. 

@OrangeCatRamblers, there's a certain poster that you responded to who always, always posts in the same manner as you described. Do your best to ignore those posts. I don't "ignore" them officially, but I do generally scroll on by.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Oh. My. Gosh. Do you work in HR? This sounds like my day. Every. Single. Day. Quizzing employees on whatever stupid thing they did. Asking about 1,000,000 until I can sus out the actual truth. BTW, is sus/sussed still used by the kiddos? Now that us older Millennials are using it? I can't imagine they are. 🙂 I'm with you, though. I would have been annoyed and may have thrown an elbow to make them drop the pizza, but then would have laughed about it later. 

@OrangeCatRamblers, there's a certain poster that you responded to who always, always posts in the same manner as you described. Do your best to ignore those posts. I don't "ignore" them officially, but I do generally scroll on by.

Lmao! No, I'm not in HR.

I was discussing this thread with my 23yo daughter, who's going on Escape in less than 3 weeks, and we couldn't picture how something like this would/could happen.

That's actually where the questions came from.

My daughter has been on many cruises with her mother and I, so she's as well versed with all the crazies as I am.

These are stories you crack up about later at dinner or after returning from your sailing. 

It's like a rite of passage to see people do stupid things. Lol!!!!

And sus/sussed is something my daughter has never heard before (I just asked her). How's that for a large sample size?

Lmao!!

38 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

And sus/sussed is something my daughter has never heard before (I just asked her). How's that for a large sample size?

In my experience, "sus" is chiefly a British usage. I'm American and I never heard it growing up.

They were a group of four 50 somethings. They cut in front of 3 of us getting pizza. You may not have seen yet the focaccia pizza on the Prima, they are more of an oblong shape. They just piled it on plates. 

I say sussed all the time but I lived in the UK in my twenties and a lot of vernacular stuck. I say knackered, too. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

They were a group of four 50 somethings. They cut in front of 3 of us getting pizza. You may not have seen yet the focaccia pizza on the Prima, they are more of an oblong shape. They just piled it on plates. 

I say sussed all the time but I lived in the UK in my twenties and a lot of vernacular stuck. I say knackered, too. 

I saw a pic of those pizzas right here on this thread. They look good and I don't remember if I saw them on Joy last year, but I'll look for them in July when I return to Joy.

I'm a 50 something and I certainly don't appreciate other 50 somethings giving us a bad name. If it had been me cutting the line, I would have left at least one or two slices. Lol!!

BTW, how long did it take for new pizza to be brought out?

2 hours ago, bkrickles1 said:

Lmao! No, I'm not in HR.

I was discussing this thread with my 23yo daughter, who's going on Escape in less than 3 weeks, and we couldn't picture how something like this would/could happen.

That's actually where the questions came from.

My daughter has been on many cruises with her mother and I, so she's as well versed with all the crazies as I am.

These are stories you crack up about later at dinner or after returning from your sailing. 

It's like a rite of passage to see people do stupid things. Lol!!!!

Lmao!!

Well then! You might just have a knack for a career change then. Haha

Hmm, interesting about "sus/sussed". About a year ago I heard it being used by middle school/high school kids all the time. Maybe it's a western/central NY thing! 

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

In my experience, "sus" is chiefly a British usage. I'm American and I never heard it growing up.

Oh, I never heard it growing up either! I've only started hearing it over the last two'ish years. 

1 hour ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

That focaccia "bread" is very good. I'm a NY'er, so I can't call it pizza! But the taste is very yummy. And the focaccia itself is good. Stilll.....not pizza haha

I suppose it does come from the Brits then, eh? 

On 4/30/2023 at 1:51 PM, OrangeCatRamblers said:

"We ordered ahead" was told to me as they moved to the front of everyone in line to take pizza. It was told to all of us waiting. Your tone is very patronizing, I don't appreciate this paternalistic take. I have every right to ask any questions I'd like about policy and practice, and to me, this is no different than registering annoyance at chair hogs or people who lounge barefoot on furniture in the Observation Lounge.

You think this is silly, fine, move on. I'm sure you gripe about things that I'd think are silly as well. 

If more food will be there soon enough, including their "order," shouldn't they have been the ones to wait? 

How can you hear my 'tone' reading a post?  LOL  It is fine that you appreciate or do not appreciate anything.  That is your choice and not under my control.  The fact they told any number of people is irrelevant whether it was sarcasm or not.  I'm not trying to start a fight or anything but you posted in a public forum and specifically asked for THOUGHT ON TAKING A WHOLE PIZZA and in doing do invited replies form the public.  I replied giving my thoughts.  It is noting that I would have gotten even slightly upset about.  At a buffet it is all you can eat.  Their group could eat a whiel oen of those small pizzas so they took one and went to eat.

I actually find very little at all to gripe about when I cruise.  If I find myself in a situation that I am not happy with, I just move on and go elsewhere.  Much easier and much more enjoyable that way!

Hope your next cruise is better and you have 10-12 pizzas all to yourself to make up for this one.

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Hmm, interesting about "sus/sussed". About a year ago I heard it being used by middle school/high school kids all the time. Maybe it's a western/central NY thing! 

Its recent popularity likely comes from the video game Among Us. It became very popular in mid-2020, and that's when I remember that word becoming commonplace online as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Antimony said:

Its recent popularity likely comes from the video game Among Us. It became very popular in mid-2020, and that's when I remember that word becoming commonplace online as well.

From memory, at the risk of being completely wrong, I read once upon a time that “sus” or “suss” dates from the early 19th century as a shortened version of “suspect” or “suspicion.” The word in the sense of “figure out,” which is now the more common usage, appeared in the mid-1960s, primarily as British (maybe just English?) expression. 

• Like 2

Obviously the cutting was wrong. The harder question is the etiquette of taking many more than 1 serving. I go to Sam's Club once a month and get 4 of their rotisserie chicken; which i go home portion up for salads for the rest of the month. Very often there is line for the chickens to come out of the oven. Most people want 1, or 2 a the most. So I feel quite awkard taking so many. I usually take two and wait for the rest of the line to go before I "re-enter" it and take 2 more. 4 people taking enough pizza for 21 people is alot. I find that rude if they didn't make special arrangements for extra pizzas to be made. If 21 people need lunch then they should all just go to the buffet - take turns if they need to hold seats; and grab what they each want. Not expect 4 people to load up plates with all the available pizza. 

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/1/2023 at 12:27 PM, cruiseny4life said:

I'm in Central CT and my nine year old B/G Twins use it all the time.  My nieces, who are 10 and 7, and live in MA also use it.  Apparently it means suspect...

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Redsky5292 said:

Apparently it means suspect.

In today's lingo it does.  I do recall hearing the phrase 'suss things out' (or similar), meaning to figure them out.  I've lived in the US my entire life.

• Like 2

By the looks of the pictures of the pizzas in question are of a size that it woudl not take m,any peopel at all to be able to eat an 'entire' one.  They look closer to the size of a personal pizza than a 'normal' size pizza.  Of getting pizza for more than one person, taking an 'entire' pizza is what many would do.

4 hours ago, Redsky5292 said:

I'm in Central CT and my nine year old B/G Twins use it all the time.  My nieces, who are 10 and 7, and live in MA also use it.  Apparently it means suspect...

It's commonly used in either context in the UK.
A person can be sus - meaning a suspicious or dodgy
You could sus something out or say "I sussed it out" - to solve a problem
I can even say "That pizza looks sus" again suspicious (or bad pizza 😂 )

• Haha 1

On 5/1/2023 at 10:21 AM, OrangeCatRamblers said:

Interesting report about the buffet.

Do you have a report about sharing  a pizza or meal with the UDP as you asked about in a post before your cruise?  Specialty dining in general?  If sharing is possible, we would enjoy a meal much more - for us one meal is plenty for two people. 

Thanks.

18 hours ago, cmecruise1962 said:

I was in the Vibe last year and a group of 50 something’s would go down and bring plates piled with pizza and eat it in the hot tub…yuck!  I never questioned it, but I could see them saying it was “pre-ordered” to take it all!

OK... that is REALLY gross.  What's next?  Eating the pizzas in the public bathrooms?

Edited by lgdesign
  • Haha 1

Cutting the line is wrong. I have been guilty of seeming to take more than my fair share when traveling with my grandchildren. The options are take a plate and put 6 pieces of pizza on it or have them stand there with me with their own plates and fill them which would hold up people even more. Sometimes sending one person to get food makes the line move faster and the same amount of food would have been taken.