Avalon Tulip Time Tranquility II April 30, 2023 - semi live

YoungDubFan

This morning was the included walking tour of Antwerp. They had shuttle buses to take us closer to the center of the old town. We made our way past guild houses, the city hall & Grote Markt. Then we had a guided tour of the Onze Lieve Vrouwekathedral. There are quite a few Rubens painting in this church. We then had free time to explore a bit. There was a bus back to the boat at noon or you could stay in town. Buses left from the ship at 1:30 & 2:30 for those who wanted to return to Antwerp and returned to the ship at 2, 3, & 5 pm. I think I’m going to relax on the ship for the afternoon. I am on vacation after all. All of the food has been great so far. 

• Like 5

So fun to read about the tulips, on my bucket list for sure, did you pick the Avalon for any particular reason? I'm surprised that the tulips are in full bloom right now as I thought they started blooming earlier last month. I booked Crystal last year only for them to go under, my Dad ended up passing away at that time so it wasn't meant to be. But I plan to fulfill my bucket list in the coming years, thanks for posting your trip.

kleencruise - This is my 3rd Avalon cruise. I’ve previously done Basel to Amsterdam in 2012 and Paris to Normandy in 2016. I really like Avalon and like the way they proactively take care of their guests if anything goes wrong. On the day we had to spend the full day at Keukenhof, they gave every passenger €30 for lunch. That day one of the buses had an accident on the way to Keukenhof and the passengers on that bus were delayed almost 1.5 hours to get to Keukenhof. To make up for the inconvenience, Avalon gave everyone on that bus a free optional excursion. Avalon just has great customer service. I also picked Avalon because they waive the single supplement on select cruises on every itinerary. I”m traveling solo so that made this cruise much more affordable.

Due to the cold / cool spring, tulips this year didn’t start blooming at Keukenhof (in the outside gardens) until April 13. The cooler weather delayed the start of the blooms and will allow the blooms to last longer. It was very lucky for us as the flowers were at peak when we were there. 

I’m off for the included tour of Ghent. 55 of the 89 passengers are taking the full day optional excursion to Brugge. 

• Like 2

This morning was the included walking tour of Ghent. 55 of the 89 passengers chose to go to the all day tour of Brugge. I did the tour of Ghent. It was a nice walking tour. We went into the Cathedral at the end then had about 30 min of free time. Back to the ship for lunch and I have signed up for the optional Canal cruise, beer & Chocolate tour that leaves at 2pm this afternoon. 

• Like 1

Guest ldtr
8 hours ago, kleenrcruise said:

So fun to read about the tulips, on my bucket list for sure, did you pick the Avalon for any particular reason? I'm surprised that the tulips are in full bloom right now as I thought they started blooming earlier last month. I booked Crystal last year only for them to go under, my Dad ended up passing away at that time so it wasn't meant to be. But I plan to fulfill my bucket list in the coming years, thanks for posting your trip.

Just a few days ago

20230428_153239.jpg

20230428_151549.jpg

I have noticed here in my warm valley that nature is a little behind compared to last year. Our tulips are now fading, it depends on the variety really. Late bloomers still looking lovely.

On 5/3/2023 at 1:37 PM, YoungDubFan said:

I think I’m going to relax on the ship for the afternoon. I am on vacation after all.

Sounds great. Me falling asleep on the sun deck on the Danube one afternoon - I remember it well, bliss. Needs a repeat. 🙂

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

I enjoyed the afternoon excursion. We did the chocolate before the beer, which was a good thing. The shops were right next to each other. I am not a big beer drinker so was happy that I was able to try the Kriek (cherry lambic) & a Huberlus Wit (wheat) beer. I liked both of these much better than the 2 they were pouring for the rest of the group. 

Once back on board, the string trio La Stravda played for 1 hour in the lounge. Then we had happy hour for 1 hour and a delayed dinner at 7:30. We are sailing to MIddleburg for tomorrow morning. 

3 hours ago, kleenrcruise said:

LOVE this! thanks for sharing, to see them in person what a dream. Looks like you have to dress somewhat warmly.

We were there 5 years ago May 10, and we found it quite hot for wandering around. They had an ice cream cart out that we may have visited a couple of times. 🙂 Weather this year has been cooler, which is good for the gardens as the flowers last longer, but varies yearly. 

4 hours ago, kleenrcruise said:

LOVE this! thanks for sharing, to see them in person what a dream. Looks like you have to dress somewhat warmly.

Not necessarily. When I was there in 2010 I started with a light windbreaker but by lunch time I was in a 3/4 sleeve top.

Guest ldtr
11 hours ago, Daisi said:

We were there 5 years ago May 10, and we found it quite hot for wandering around. They had an ice cream cart out that we may have visited a couple of times. 🙂 Weather this year has been cooler, which is good for the gardens as the flowers last longer, but varies yearly. 

This year cool and overcast. High temp in the low 60s on the day we were there. Fortunately it did not rain.

We were in MIddelburg this morning. We had a walking tour of about 1.5 hours. We then had about 45 min of free time but not much was open this morning so I came back to the ship. Unfortunately we weren’t able to go inside any of the churches or the abbey, but it was a nice tour. It rained for about 15 min at the start and then stopped. We sail to Veere for this afternoon. 

• Like 1

Had an afternoon excursion from Veere to the Delta Works. We went to a museum dedicated to the Feb 1, 1953 flood, which is located in the upper portions of the caissons used to plug the dikes. It was very interesting. Then we had a short walk through Veere - very cute town. Tonight is the Captain’s Gala dinner. We are in Willemstad tomorrow. Having a great time and can’t believe it ends on Sunday morning. 

• Like 3

Sat morning we had a 2 hour walking tour of Willemstad. It was a very cute town. We were treated to a 1/2 hour organ concert in the Protestant church. It was nice, but a bit too long for me. Back on the ship we had a genievre & Dutch cheese tasting. I learned I am not a fan of genievre but it was fun. We had lunch and started sailing back to Amsterdam at 12:45. We were scheduled to arrive between 9-10 pm.

My flight is at 7:55 am Sun. Morning. The staff on the ship recommended leaving the ship about 3.5 - 4 hours before the flight. My cab was scheduled for 4am but came early so I left the ship just after 3:45 am. I was at the airport by 4:10. KLM doesn’t open for check in until 4:30 so I was first in line. No waiting at security. I got to my gate just about 4:45 so I have quite a wait. No shops are open this early. I’ll get a light bite if they open around 6am. 

I had a great trip and will post some photos once I’m home and have downloaded from my camera. 

• Like 2

Flight to US was uneventful. We actually landed a bit early and Customs / Immigration at Detroit weren’t open yet so had to wait on plane for about 5 min. Sailed through with Global Entry / PreCheck. Now I’m waiting on my connecting flight home. I’ll try to post some pics once I’m home. 

• Like 5

Here are some pics from the Aalsmeer flower auction. Photos don't come close to capturing how large the facility is. Unfortunately since COVID, you don't get to see any of the auction, but it was still fun. 

DSCF5078.JPG

DSCF5079.JPG

DSCF5080.JPG

DSCF5081.JPG

DSCF5082.JPG

DSCF5084.JPG

DSCF5095.JPG