Help with husband who isn't into going to Europe.

12 hours ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

he doesn’t hate hot weather, per say, but he works out in it for 10+ hours all spring, summer, and fall here. But it’s not the hot weather, he just has no desire to go somewhere and sit on a beach. Which I don’t either, at all. That’s why Alaska is our favorite cruise destination. He could definitely be swayed by Norway and Iceland. 

Actually, places like Italy, Turkey, and Greece are about a lot more than sitting on a beach.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Actually, places like Italy, Turkey, and Greece are about a lot more than sitting on a beach.

You got that right🙂.....they are about history, architecture, people, places......I just got back from a cruise that sailed around Greece and Turkey for 2 weeks  What beach? LOL.......none...now I realize it was April but even in the summer, going to the beach when I am on a European cruise is the last thing I ever think about doing. Then again, I sail solo so no concerns about what someone else wants to do, eat, see, etc.......

To the OP, here's hoping you can get hubby to open his mind up a bit....seeing new places is such a fantastic thing🙂.....there is so much more to the world than just our "small corner" of it.

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

You got that right🙂.....they are about history, architecture, people, places......I just got back from a cruise that sailed around Greece and Turkey for 2 weeks  What beach? LOL.......none...now I realize it was April but even in the summer, going to the beach when I am on a European cruise is the last thing I ever think about doing. Then again, I sail solo so no concerns about what someone else wants to do, eat, see, etc.......

To the OP, here's hoping you can get hubby to open his mind up a bit....seeing new places is such a fantastic thing🙂.....there is so much more to the world than just our "small corner" of it.

Yes, and some of the sites are incredibly awe inspiring such as standing in front of the Acropolis or being in the Sistine Chapel. And there are many more.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, and some of the sites are incredibly awe inspiring such as standing in front of the Acropolis or being in the Sistine Chapel. And there are many more.

I agree😀

• Like 1

look at Viking Ocean for very good trips to Norway and/or Brit'. We did one beginning in London/Greenwich .. hit a couple of ports in British Isles then cut over to Norway and bounced up and down the coast.  Come this July we're staring in Bergen, Norway bouncing up the coast to WAY north <78N .... Arctic Circle is 66.5 north .... HOT is NOT expected!> Then ends in Iceland.  

Map of Iceland & Norway's Arctic Explorer itinerary

Map of British Isles Explorer itinerary

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 1

On 5/1/2023 at 4:29 PM, Mountaineer0313 said:

Norwegian Fjords is also on my short list, and I actually was perusing the Anthem one today. We sailed Anthem to New England a few years ago and loved her. Unfortunately, the absolute only months we can go in 2024 is August (and that's pushing it) or September, and there's one in August but it sails from Copenhagen and not Southampton.

We have cruised twice from Copenhagen. As far as the language barrier goes, most of the Danish people we met spoke very good English. Also, Copenhagen is a really nice city to visit, and when we were there in August, the weather was very pleasant temperature wise.

50 minutes ago, Mrs.Dukes said:

We have cruised twice from Copenhagen. As far as the language barrier goes, most of the Danish people we met spoke very good English. Also, Copenhagen is a really nice city to visit, and when we were there in August, the weather was very pleasant temperature wise.

I am so happy to read this😀 I am staying in Copenhagen for a day post cruise before flying home. I have heard it is very pedestrian friendly and your reply is such a good one to see as well!🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

I am so happy to read this😀 I am staying in Copenhagen for a day post cruise before flying home. I have heard it is very pedestrian friendly and your reply is such a good one to see as well!🙂

One thing to watch for in Copenhagen is that the weather changes. We stayed a day after a cruise, and when we left out hotel it was beautiful out, and we dressed accordingly. Later it changed several times including raining. We know we stood out as tourists the way we were dressed.

14 hours ago, ontheweb said:

One thing to watch for in Copenhagen is that the weather changes. We stayed a day after a cruise, and when we left out hotel it was beautiful out, and we dressed accordingly. Later it changed several times including raining. We know we stood out as tourists the way we were dressed.

Thanks for the tip🙂I know I am a tourist though LOL....doesn't really bother me.

45 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Thanks for the tip🙂I know I am a tourist though LOL....doesn't really bother me.

One more Copenhagen tip---Rick Steves has called The Little Mermaid the most overrated tourist attraction in the world. And I totally agree with him!

44 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

One more Copenhagen tip---Rick Steves has called The Little Mermaid the most overrated tourist attraction in the world. And I totally agree with him!

I must be totally out of the loop because I have no clue about The Little Mermaid attraction and I can't recall following anything by Rick Steves in years. I know a lot people think  he is "The Man" but I am not in that category. It sounds like that is not an attraction that I would be interested in though LOL.....I never even saw the movie.

Cruising in Europe is not a beach vacation, it's more of a series of one day city breaks. Have a look at the itineraries of some cruises and you'll see that they take in some of the most historic cities in Europe. There are a few that do the odd beach day but not many. You won't find many sea days either on the itineraries. Language is not a barrier either as English is widely taught throughout Europe, you'll even find the likes of Germans speaking English in popular tourist areas. English is becoming a universal language.

As for weird food someone has already made the point you are likely just to be snacking ashore. American commerce has conquered the world, you will find all of the major chains from home throughout Europe although you would probably be missing out by not trying some of the local food. Nobody is expecting you to eat frogs legs, snails, squid or anything else that looks weird. Although if you do want to try something different you can find these sometimes on the menu on the cruise ship.

If you can persuade the husband to actually get on a plane to Europe I'd suggest a Mediterranean cruise rather than the British Isles. You'll have better weather, you'll visit more countries and you'll experience different cultures. 

37 minutes ago, JimmyTheSaint said:

Cruising in Europe is not a beach vacation, it's more of a series of one day city breaks. Have a look at the itineraries of some cruises and you'll see that they take in some of the most historic cities in Europe. There are a few that do the odd beach day but not many. You won't find many sea days either on the itineraries. Language is not a barrier either as English is widely taught throughout Europe, you'll even find the likes of Germans speaking English in popular tourist areas. English is becoming a universal language.

As for weird food someone has already made the point you are likely just to be snacking ashore. American commerce has conquered the world, you will find all of the major chains from home throughout Europe although you would probably be missing out by not trying some of the local food. Nobody is expecting you to eat frogs legs, snails, squid or anything else that looks weird. Although if you do want to try something different you can find these sometimes on the menu on the cruise ship.

If you can persuade the husband to actually get on a plane to Europe I'd suggest a Mediterranean cruise rather than the British Isles. You'll have better weather, you'll visit more countries and you'll experience different cultures. 

So, I don't eat in chain restaurants anywhere, least of all on vacation. Also, we always eat off the ship, even though ship food is already paid for.

I will eat anything, but as long as my husband has chicken, steak, some form of potato, he'll manage. 

The Med cruise is on the list for the family cruise we're planning in 2025, so the one for just my husband and I, I am limiting to British/Norway/Iceland, etc. And only out of Southampton as we can get a direct flight from PIT to Heathrow. I need to ease him into Europe. We can visit the more "foreign" places in 2025 when we're with my family and he'll be otherwise occupied hanging out with his brother in laws.

17 hours ago, ontheweb said:

We once docked near the alternate "Little Mermaid" statue. We were the only ones that visited it. We then walked to the "Little Mermaid" statue and had to use my son's wheelchair, as a metaphorical battering ram, just to get any where near the real "Little Mermaid" statue.

18 hours ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

And only out of Southampton as we can get a direct flight from PIT to Heathrow.

You'll also find it easy to get from Heathrow to Portsmouth and Tilbury so you can widen your options. And Dover would be only a little further.

12 minutes ago, Mountaineer0313 said:
31 minutes ago, Harters said:

You'll also find it easy to get from Heathrow to Portsmouth and Tilbury so you can widen your options. And Dover would be only a little further.

Are those cruise ports?

Yes.

Tilbury is actually the main cruise terminal for London. The terminal there is formally called the London Cruise Terminal. Only a small number of relatively small ships actually come up the river into London proper.

Dover has a very well-established and long-standing cruise terminal, and my impression is that Portsmouth has become busier in recent years, although usually only with smaller ships.

17 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

Yes.

Tilbury is actually the main cruise terminal for London. The terminal there is formally called the London Cruise Terminal. Only a small number of relatively small ships actually come up the river into London proper.

Dover has a very well-established and long-standing cruise terminal, and my impression is that Portsmouth has become busier in recent years, although usually only with smaller ships.

hmm. They must not be used by celebrity as I’ve only ever heard of the Southampton port. 

25 minutes ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

hmm. They must not be used by celebrity as I’ve only ever heard of the Southampton port. 

The vast majority of cruise lines use Southampton.  

1 hour ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

Are those cruise ports?

Yes (as detailed by Globaliser).

We were actually recently looking at an Oceania cruise from/to Portsmouth but, in the end,  the dates didnt suit.

Looking at the Dover port website, it's visited by quite a number of cruise lines in the next couple of months with Seabourn, Saga, Hurtigruten, HAL and Carnival having turnround calls. Of course, most folk will know the town as a ferry, rather than cruise, port, which I've use dit for several times.

Edited by Harters

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

The vast majority of cruise lines use Southampton.  

We did a Princess cruise out of Dover. We also had one booked out of Southampton that never sailed due to the Covid shutdown in 2020.

Princess definitely treats the Southampton cruises as more of a priority. They have transfers to Southampton both from the airports and from London, while there were only transfers to Dover from the airports.

4 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

We did a Princess cruise out of Dover. We also had one booked out of Southampton that never sailed due to the Covid shutdown in 2020.

Princess definitely treats the Southampton cruises as more of a priority. They have transfers to Southampton both from the airports and from London, while there were only transfers to Dover from the airports.

In the whole of 2024, Princess have only one cruise leaving from Dover. Coral Princess on June 25th, as part of her world cruise.