Live solo report from the 22 day European Splendor and Voyage of the Midnight Sun on N. Statendam

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

cruising sister was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Good morning,

I will be embarking on my first solo cruise on N. Statendam May 6th - 28th. I have cruised many times mainly on Celebrity and RC. I have had one previous HAL cruise in 2018 on Zuiderdam in the Baltics.  I booked this cruise 3 months ago requiring final payment so there was no turning back. I was impressed reading how @kazuand @Scrapnananavigated their solo cruises and decided to venture out on my own. This will be bittersweet as this is a cruise my late DH wanted to do but I know he would have wanted me to keep traveling.

I will be flying out today in style. I had a ton of miles on United so it is business class for me. There has been an active roll call and I am looking forward to putting faces to the names.  I booked club orange and I want to see how I like the smaller dining room. I am thoroughly impressed with HAL for refunding me $1900 after final payment when prices dropped!  

Off to walk the dog and then head to the airport.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 5

16 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

This will be bittersweet as this is a cruise my late DH wanted to do but I know he would have wanted me to keep traveling.

You are absolutely right!  He would and he will be smiling as he looks down on you.

Keep that in your mind and heart.

• Like 18

I am so glad you are doing a LIVE report on this cruise especially since I was unable to go.  It’s as close as I will get this year 😉 

Thank you.  I’ll gladly be following along all of your adventures and hope you have an absolutely fantastic time!

• Like 13

I made it to Barcelona safe and sound. We were delayed out of Kansas City by over an hour. I had a 3 hour layover so I could absorb the delay. Newark was a zoo. Very disorganized and crowded. This was my first time there. The overnight flight went smoothly which helped to soften the craziness of the Barcelona airport. Customs was jammed. It took over an hour and a half to get the luggage to come off the carousel. The cab was clean and friendly and the hotel is awesome. Thanks to @kazufor recommending it. If you are going to Barcelona Casa Camper is great.

I am off to explore, find food and stay awake. 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

@cruising sister, Bon Voyage! 

Sounds like you are off to a good start with only a few bumps.

I am often also a solo traveler so looking forward to your experiences.

Isn't business class to EU the best? You are spolied now!

I will be following along, looks like a great cruise. 😀

• Like 8

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

I made it to Barcelona safe and sound. We were delayed out of Kansas City by over an hour. I had a 3 hour layover so I could absorb the delay. Newark was a zoo. Very disorganized and crowded. This was my first time there. The overnight flight went smoothly which helped to soften the craziness of the Barcelona airport. Customs was jammed. It took over an hour and a half to get the luggage to come off the carousel. The cab was clean and friendly and the hotel is awesome. Thanks to @kazufor recommending it. If you are going to Barcelona Casa Camper is great.

I am off to explore, find food and stay awake. 

I am so glad you have arrived safely in BCN (and relieved) you like Casa Camper.  They treated me so well I would return there any time I am staying in Barcelona.  Enjoy the beautiful city!

• Like 8

Wishing you an absolutely fabulous cruise!   I'm very happy you arrived safely and managed the airport madness.  Airports are always a zoo, but once through them and at your destination, let the fun begin!

• Like 6

Have a wonderful time ! I'm looking forward to your reviews. I agree that foreign airports present challenges but then, when I think about not cruising, I decide that if I take a deep breath, relax and remember that I have never been left behind at another countrys terminal, I can do this. I admire you.

• Like 4

I have only solo cruised and not on the bigger cruise ships until 2015 - riverboats and ferries before then.

I'm not much of an explorer - but I love the journey and the scenery. So, no live threads.

Have fun and relax. You can do this.

• Like 1

It is now the finish to a full day of walking.  I met up with 4 others from my roll call for a tour of the Gothic region and dinner.  It is nice that Cruise Critic is here to let you meet people before the cruise.  I have been to Barcelona before but had not toured that area.  I had my requisite hot chocolate and churros so I am set to board tomorrow. 93CE98A4-AE4A-4978-9E94-52180552F436.thumb.jpeg.c3f92d9e116668ab2e55d27273da8be0.jpeg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to following your trip, so far you seem to have managed the travel really well. Once you're on the ship things should be much smoother. Glad you were able to meet some fellow cruisers and enjoy a day in Barcelona.

• Like 3