Drink package for one?

1 hour ago, gerif said:

You can call and get a refreshment package for your mom. 

Correct.  They will require all adults to a least buy the refreshment package.  Barring some unusual exception, this is standard.  So I’d budget for it if you want the drink package.  It’s unfortunate, but too many obviously abused the old system when just one could buy it in a cabin.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2023 at 4:08 PM, topnole said:

Correct.  They will require all adults to a least buy the refreshment package.  Barring some unusual exception, this is standard.  So I’d budget for it if you want the drink package.  It’s unfortunate, but too many obviously abused the old system when just one could buy it in a cabin.  

I just want to clarify - my sister could get the refreshment package and I could get the deluxe beverage package even if we're in the same cabin?  Last time I cruised, both occupants had to have the same beverage package.  My sister is almost 19 years sober (will be almost 21 years by the time we sail), so she wouldn't be drinking, but I do like some wine with dinner and a couple cocktails poolside and after dinner and I love the convenience of not having to sign for every drink.  I would do it for my sister if I had to, but it's good to know that maybe the rules have changed since 2019.

13 minutes ago, olemissreb said:

I just want to clarify - my sister could get the refreshment package and I could get the deluxe beverage package even if we're in the same cabin?

Yes, but you can only purchase this combo by calling. It's not an option in the cruise planner.

17 minutes ago, olemissreb said:

I just want to clarify - my sister could get the refreshment package and I could get the deluxe beverage package even if we're in the same cabin?  Last time I cruised, both occupants had to have the same beverage package.  My sister is almost 19 years sober (will be almost 21 years by the time we sail), so she wouldn't be drinking, but I do like some wine with dinner and a couple cocktails poolside and after dinner and I love the convenience of not having to sign for every drink.  I would do it for my sister if I had to, but it's good to know that maybe the rules have changed since 2019.

Yes ... but to get this you have to call. But you can get the drink pkg and your sister get the refreshment pkg. .. just call. Cant do it online.

30 minutes ago, olemissreb said:

Yes.  Just have to call to do it that way.  

25 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Yes, but you can only purchase this combo by calling. It's not an option in the cruise planner.

20 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Yes ... but to get this you have to call. But you can get the drink pkg and your sister get the refreshment pkg. .. just call. Cant do it online.

8 minutes ago, topnole said:

Yes.  Just have to call to do it that way.  

Thank you all! 

40 minutes ago, olemissreb said:

If that's all you're drinking, you may want to consider just purchasing the drinks a la carte when you need them.  

I will say I mentioned the suggestion to call on another board and was told by a poster they've called multiple times and have NEVER been able to purchase a single alcoholic package (even when purchasing a separate refreshment package).  

I have no first hand experience, just relating what someone else said. 

2 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

If that's all you're drinking, you may want to consider just purchasing the drinks a la carte when you need them.  

I will say I mentioned the suggestion to call on another board and was told by a poster they've called multiple times and have NEVER been able to purchase a single alcoholic package (even when purchasing a separate refreshment package).  

I have no first hand experience, just relating what someone else said. 

Thanks!  And that probably won't be all I'll be drinking. I also like my lattes in the morning and then bottled water on excursions.  Plus soda, orange juice and things like that.  The last cruise I was on, the beverage package worked out great for me - I think I came out a little bit ahead!  Although that was in 2019, so I know prices have changed and I'll have to reevaluate things again.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

That's bizarre, I have done this on almost every cruise I have ever been on until we turned diamond and stopped buying the package.

If your mom plans to only drink the "free/included" beverages, the other, possibly cheaper option, may be to simply buy one deluxe package once you board the ship.  You would have to compare the cost of the deluxe plus refreshment package bought through the planner versus the full price cost of the deluxe package. I know they will sometimes have the deluxe for sale as you board the ship, but don't know that they will discount it if you are just buying one.  Once on board they don't require others in your room to buy a drink package.

One option might be to try to buy your mom the soda package through the planner and then later call to see if you can order the deluxe for yourself, saying your mom already has a drink package.  If they insist you have to buy the refresment then you would just pay the difference.  I thought I had read someplace that someone had also gotten away with simply buying the $31 coffee card, but that could have been a complete fluke/mistake on the customer service reps part.  But, it can't hurt to ask, especailly based upon your mother's age.

32 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

That's bizarre, I have done this on almost every cruise I have ever been on until we turned diamond and stopped buying the package.

They said they've tried on multiple cruises with multiple calls and have never been successful...

"Two cruises DH and I wanted, DS is disabled and does not drink. Both cruises they gave us so much trouble, multiple phone calls, elevated, more calls. We then had to get a doctors letter stating that he could not drink and had to submit that to another department. Finally they gave in, although on the 2nd cruise they made him buy the non-alcohol level package above the soda. So we got him every mocktail and juice we could to give us our monies worth. I've heard some say it's not a big deal but it was a huge deal to us on two cruises. It was beyond bad customer service!"

30 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

If your mom plans to only drink the "free/included" beverages, the other, possibly cheaper option, may be to simply buy one deluxe package once you board the ship.  You would have to compare the cost of the deluxe plus refreshment package bought through the planner versus the full price cost of the deluxe package. I know they will sometimes have the deluxe for sale as you board the ship, but don't know that they will discount it if you are just buying one.  Once on board they don't require others in your room to buy a drink package.

I don’t think so. 

Rules for purchasing onboard are the same as for pre purchasing. 

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

They said they've tried on multiple cruises with multiple calls and have never been successful...

"Finally they gave in, although on the 2nd cruise they made him buy the non-alcohol level package above the soda"

Sure sounds like they were - just took a while. RCI is not in the business to easily save you money.

3 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

"Two cruises DH and I wanted, DS is disabled and does not drink. Both cruises they gave us so much trouble, multiple phone calls, elevated, more calls. We then had to get a doctors letter stating that he could not drink and had to submit that to another department. Finally they gave in, although on the 2nd cruise they made him buy the non-alcohol level package above the soda. So we got him every mocktail and juice we could to give us our monies worth. I've heard some say it's not a big deal but it was a huge deal to us on two cruises. It was beyond bad customer 

We were able to call and get 1 deluxe and 1 refreshment package on 2 cruises, 1 last year and for our latest in March of this year.  There is even a special option when calling, at least the US number, specifically for beverage packages.  They do put you on hold to get permission but have been done in less than 5 minutes both times, no reason needed simply had to ask.

I am not doubting what you quoted simply giving our fairly recent exoerience.

Edited by akcruz
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Hypothetically, if person A orders the RP in cruise planner, then person B calls and orders the DBP, can person A later cancel the RP in cruise planner? 

6 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

My experience is the same as yours 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

"Two cruises DH and I wanted, DS is disabled and does not drink. Both cruises they gave us so much trouble, multiple phone calls, elevated, more calls. We then had to get a doctors letter stating that he could not drink and had to submit that to another department. Finally they gave in, although on the 2nd cruise they made him buy the non-alcohol level package above the soda. So we got him every mocktail and juice we could to give us our monies worth. I've heard some say it's not a big deal but it was a huge deal to us on two cruises. It was beyond bad customer service!"

Again, all I can say is that that is bizarre when viewed through my experience.  Every time I have called on this, which was every cruise before diamond status, I have had no problem.  The biggest challenge I received from an agent was "so your spouse doesn't drink" to which I responded correct.  Usually I didn't even get this, they just place my order for one DBP and one RP.  It would be a total shock to me to have to provide doctors notes or any other documentation. I have one to purchase for an upcoming cruise.  If there was an ongoing sale I would I'd test it out again right now.  When the Memorial Day sale pricing kicks in I'll book it and report back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruisin'4Us said:

Hypothetically, if person A orders the RP in cruise planner, then person B calls and orders the DBP, can person A later cancel the RP in cruise planner? 

My suspicion is that that is possible but if you were caught I think you might be subject to having your package cancelled and on the hook for al a carte pricing.

On 5/15/2023 at 9:36 AM, S.A.M.J.R. said:

On 5/15/2023 at 3:38 PM, Tree_skier said:

Again, all I can say is that that is bizarre when viewed through my experience.  Every time I have called on this, which was every cruise before diamond status, I have had no problem.  The biggest challenge I received from an agent was "so your spouse doesn't drink" to which I responded correct.  Usually I didn't even get this, they just place my order for one DBP and one RP.  It would be a total shock to me to have to provide doctors notes or any other documentation. I have one to purchase for an upcoming cruise.  If there was an ongoing sale I would I'd test it out again right now.  When the Memorial Day sale pricing kicks in I'll book it and report back.

Ok, as a follow up... I just hung up the phone with Royal.  I ordered the DBP for me and the RP for DW. We don't need to book this anymore now that we have turned diamond however we have a cruise coming up with our daughter and son in law and their three children and we are paying the for everything so I intend to use my Diamond vouchers for extended family members, so ordering the package made sense this time.

I call the C&A number and asked to order 1 DBP and 1 RP.  The agent asked why one is only getting the RP.  I replied "she doesn't drink alcohol."  I was put on hold for 90 seconds.  The agent came back on with the total for the two packages and processed my credit card.  No muss and no fuss.

I'm not calling the poster who suggested they were required to provide medical documentation a liar.  I'm going to assume they got a very bad agent.  If that ever happens, I'd just hang up and call again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I'd just hang up and call again. 

I have done exactly this for other issues. For experienced RC cruisers and/or CC readers, sometimes, unfortunately, you’ll know when you are being given the wrong information. This seems to be the best solution.

Phone rep #1 - ”Sir, you receive your crystal block on the next sailing after you earn it.”

Uhhhh…. wut? Bye.

Phone rep #2 - “I’m sorry there was no letter in your cabin. Please give me your info & we’ll have it shipped to you when available.”

TYVM, have a great day!

Edited by OCSC Mike