[Equinox] Brown water from stateroom faucet

2 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Ludicrous, no. Not amusing at all. I consider it helping out the stateroom attendant if something got over looked that will effect our comfort and enjoyment of the stateroom and cruise and the next guest.  Paying it forward. 

It is a good practice.

12 hours ago, CelebrityBrownWater said:

Are we dead or sick? Not yet.

Based on the amount of food I eat on cruises, I believe the fats/sugars are much more likely to make me sick/dead than drinking brown water.

On my recent cruise on Solstice, I noticed that the water from the faucet was warm all the time.  I stopped drinking it, and drank bottled water only in the cabin.

5 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I question the validity of this poster, he or she joined CC only yesterday at 5:57 AM  and chose a screen name that makes me suspicious. Al 21 of their posts have been in this thread.

However, it is a fairly common happening (the brown water), and I know this from personal experience.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

You aren't correct. I saw a post by @CelebrityBrownWater on another thread about CD on Equinox. Let's not pile on. We all started somewhere. Peace. I'm sure most frequent cruisers have encountered issues. We did a Royal cruise where the shower drain was so clogged that it created a waterfall out the bathroom door onto the carpet each time we showered. The safe battery needed to be replaced 3X. The balcony divider shook loose and crashed into the furniture on the balcony and was repaired 5X...but continued. All were reported multiple times to multiple people increasing in rank. None were ever fixed properly. It happens.

At least you reported the issues. 

29 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I question the validity of this poster, he or she joined CC only yesterday at 5:57 AM  and chose a screen name that makes me suspicious. Al 21 of their posts have been in this thread.

I believe @CelebrityBrownWater issues with the brown water. New poster or not. Screen name including. 

10 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Thanks. Although we did, the issues remained during the entire cruise and were still there when we disembarked. I think Royal finally fixed the problem however. A few years later they sold Legend Of The Seas.

I think that if you re-read the OP's posts that they also reported the issue. They probably were most focused on the water issue (see the OP picture) and that was the most concerning. They most likely didn't want to distract from getting that concern addressed by bringing up minor annoyances. Looking at the pic, I can understand it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Luvcrusn said:

Thanks. Although we did, the issues remained during the entire cruise and were still there when we disembarked. I think Royal finally fixed the problem however. A few years later they sold Legend Of The Seas.

I think that if you re-read the OP's posts that they also reported the issue. They probably were most focused on the water issue (see the OP picture) and that was the most concerning. They most likely didn't want to distract from getting that concern addressed by bringing up minor annoyances. Looking at the pic, I can understand it.

Yikes, wasn't the LOS sold in 2016 or 2017? Forgot all about her.

I'm not doubting the seriousness of the brown water situation. I agree with @CelebrityBrownWater. I would have reported it faster than a New York minute.  No, if you reread the current posts between @CelebrityBrownWater and me, they only reported the brown water and the toilet not flushing not the other issues they posted in #1 post of the thread. IMO and only speaking for us, all important to us and reportable.

52 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I really touched a nerve with you.

brown water was immediately reported to everyone, including higher ups.

plumbing and toilet issues were reported to the room steward, who reported to maintenance, who fixed the issue. It did have to be corrected multiple times though. 

we did not complain about the ac, because it was only an issue on the first day. I suspected the staff had been in and out of the room, perhaps cleaning the balcony and the ac was struggling trying cool the room down. After the first day our room temp was fine.

we didn’t complain about the tv, or the “lazy steward”, as davekathy so casually described the 2 hard working men he’s never met. Dave must know more than we do about the charming, friendly stewards who took care of us and had our back in regard to the brown water problem. Davekathy would rather I complained about them, even after the front desk showed mass amounts of incompetence and wasted our time.  let’s get the little guys in trouble! Right Dave?

I expect loyal cruisers might be annoyed by this thread. I get the impression most users come here for feel good posts about their upcoming vacations. I did the same before my cruise. And it’s a bummer to see real issues being reported. So no hard feelings.

But, I did not expect to be attacked for complaining too little. 

Edited by CelebrityBrownWater
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, CelebrityBrownWater said:

I really touched a nerve with you.

brown water was immediately reported to everyone, including higher ups.

plumbing and toilet issues were reported to the room steward, who reported to maintenance, who fixed the issue. It did have to be corrected multiple times though. 

we did not complain about the ac, because it was only an issue on the first day. I suspected the staff had been in and out of the room, perhaps cleaning the balcony and the ac was struggling trying cool the room down. After the first day our room temp was fine.

we didn’t complain about the tv, or the “lazy steward”, as davekathy casually described the 2 hard working men he’s never met. Dave must know more than we do about the charming, friendly stewards who took care of us and had our back in regard to the brown water problem. Davekathy would rather I complained about them, even after the front desk showed mass amounts of incompetence and wasted our time.  let’s get the little guys in trouble! Right Dave?

I did not expect to be attacked for complaining too little. 

Not at all. I have with you! 

I never said you didn't immediately report the brown water issue and I agree with you.  No way should any of us have to deal with that. 

You only disclosed reporting the toilet issue after I asked. You never said until now the AC was only an issue on the first day. If you would have I would never had made a comment. 

You were the one complaining about the now two stateroom attendants, not me. I was only making a comment based on your multiple complaints concerning your stateroom condition. Based on what you said, I stand behind my word "lazy". Now you want to twist your displeasure with their poor performance on me. Go for it. 

No, your assumption about me once again is wrong.  No, advising the stateroom attendant or GS concerning stateroom issues isn't getting the little guy(s) in trouble. Again your assumption is wrong. Most of your complaints (maybe excluding the brown water) could have been handled by your stateroom attendants. You let them know and they notify the department that handles those problems. Speaking from experience. You did exactly that when you told them about the toilet flushing issues. They didn't fix it, they notified maintenance. 

I haven't attacked you. 

Edited by davekathy

I have heard the brown water is the result of the sink in each cabin being connected to the toilet in the adjacent cabin.  When that person flushes their toilet, the neighbor gets brown water for a little while.

(Sorry...it's Friday and this thread got a little contentious and I thought I'd post something stupid to lighten it up).

• Haha 5

@CelebrityBrownWater, I was on the same cruise as you and just down the hall it seems - 9134.  I did not notice any brown water in our stateroom so looks like it may have been isolated to your portion of the floor?  I did, however, notice a water pressure issue and I want to say it was our day at port in Antigua, if I am not mistaken.

I did notice an instance or two over the course of the cruise where the toilet flush didn't seem to have the same "gusto" as the typical vacuum-powered flush.  I attributed to multiple flushes happening at the same time and reducing the power, but really I have no idea.

I'm sorry to hear of your issues - I've been in situations like your on previous cruises and it's infuriating feeling you are spending your entire vacation at the guest relations desk trying to get the problems resolved, only to have them tell you to call when you get home.  

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, CruisinShips said:

I have heard the brown water is the result of the sink in each cabin being connected to the toilet in the adjacent cabin.  When that person flushes their toilet, the neighbor gets brown water for a little while.

(Sorry...it's Friday and this thread got a little contentious and I thought I'd post something stupid to lighten it up).

You have no idea how close this is to the fear we had when we were still wondering what the heck it was. 😂 Obviously this was not the case, but when you see random brown stuff coming from your faucet, on a cruise ship, your mind goes to same dark places lol

13 minutes ago, c-ditty said:

@CelebrityBrownWater, I was on the same cruise as you and just down the hall it seems - 9134.  I did not notice any brown water in our stateroom so looks like it may have been isolated to your portion of the floor?  I did, however, notice a water pressure issue and I want to say it was our day at port in Antigua, if I am not mistaken.

I did notice an instance or two over the course of the cruise where the toilet flush didn't seem to have the same "gusto" as the typical vacuum-powered flush.  I attributed to multiple flushes happening at the same time and reducing the power, but really I have no idea.

I'm sorry to hear of your issues - I've been in situations like your on previous cruises and it's infuriating feeling you are spending your entire vacation at the guest relations desk trying to get the problems resolved, only to have them tell you to call when you get home.  

Thank you for the kind words. 

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

Ludicrous, no. Not amusing at all. I consider it helping out the stateroom attendant if something got over looked that will effect our comfort and enjoyment of the stateroom and cruise and the next guest.  Paying it forward. 

I'm with you on this one.  Have the same feeling about hotel rooms.  People have issues, don't bother reporting them, and then the next person down the line has to deal with it.  I call it passing the buck.  Doesn't mean one has to keep fighting to get things fixed, but reporting problems is the responsible thing to do.

23 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Actually,  you are mistaking "boat" toilet paper with what is used on ships.  The cruise ship toilet paper is merely the cheapest available,  and in 46 years of maintaining ship toilet systems,  I have never seen a clog caused by "wrong" toilet paper. 

Interesting.  I've learned something new as I was always told this could cause a problem.  So what is happening to make toilet stoppages happen fairly frequently, especially on the older ships?  I assume the obvious about people flushing down items not meant for toilets that they may use in a bathroom (no need to get more specific).  Is it the lines themselves?  Are people flushing all kinds of other types of things not normally used in a bathroom (food, napkins, or whatever)?

5 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I'm with you on this one.  Have the same feeling about hotel rooms.  People have issues, don't bother reporting them, and then the next person down the line has to deal with it.  I call it passing the buck.  Doesn't mean one has to keep fighting to get things fixed, but reporting problems is the responsible thing to do.

I reported all major issues. You and Dave are fixating on the minor stuff like the tv.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Interesting.  I've learned something new as I was always told this could cause a problem.  So what is happening to make toilet stoppages happen fairly frequently, especially on the older ships?  I assume the obvious about people flushing down items not meant for toilets that they may use in a bathroom (no need to get more specific).  Is it the lines themselves?  Are people flushing all kinds of other types of things not normally used in a bathroom (food, napkins, or whatever)?

I and my engineers have fished underwear, swimwear, hand towels, dinner napkins (cloth), feminine hygiene products and their applicators, wipes of all kinds, food, toothbrushes, crack pipes, coke spoons, and even 9mm ammunition out of the lines.  Unlike a land sanitary system where the lines get bigger the more drains are connected, the vacuum lines are the same size from the top of the ship to the bottom, regardless of how many toilets are connected.  Also, in some cases, on some ships, the sanitary lines actually go up from the toilets.

On older ships, the pipes can become constricted from scale formed by urine, but most ships treat this by dropping dissolvable bags of citric acid in the toilets weekly.  But, even with semi-constricted pipes, normal "product" and toilet tissue will flush without clogging.

Think of your vacuum cleaner, it has a hard time picking up a large quantity of small items unless you force the end down flat to seal the end and maximize the vacuum.  Just like that, in order to move "product" along the vacuum pipes, the "product" needs to "hold together" and form a "plug" to maximize the vacuum to move it along.  If things broke down too readily (the toilet paper dissolving), it would lose it's cohesiveness and not move properly down the pipes.  Apologize for the graphics.

• Thanks 5

39 minutes ago, CelebrityBrownWater said:

minor stuff like the tv.

I am not criticizing but just wondering why you wouldn't mention it if you were already reporting other issues? We have had issues at hotels that we mentioned in passing to the desk but didn't really care about, like a TV that was fuzzy but we weren'tplanning on watching, and discovered it fixed when we returned. Along with a note thanking us.

At a hotel in Baltimore attending a convention, I mentioned on checkout that the fitted sheet didn't really fit, just so they could know about it. Surprised me by giving us an unasked for $25 credit. They specifically said they were only able to find things out by having guests tell them.

I agree with you that not voicing every issue isn't irresponsible. I just wanted you to know that top-notch businesses welcome the feedback.

I can see by your brown water experience why you would likely think Celeb wasn't one of those, however.

Incidentally, we have had occasional discolored water in our houses in every place we have lived oner 25 years. Only dangerous one was after 2015 catastrophic flooding in Columbia SC overtopped the water treatment plant. We literally went to Cancun on a vacation and could stop boiling our water. (Who else ever went to Mexico to get good water?)

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

I am not criticizing but just wondering why you wouldn't mention it if you were already reporting other issues? We have had issues at hotels that we mentioned in passing to the desk but didn't really care about, like a TV that was fuzzy but we weren'tplanning on watching, and discovered it fixed when we returned. Along with a note thanking us.

At a hotel in Baltimore attending a convention, I mentioned on checkout that the fitted sheet didn't really fit, just so they could know about it. Surprised me by giving us an unasked for $25 credit. They specifically said they were only able to find things out by having guests tell them.

I agree with you that not voicing every issue isn't irresponsible. I just wanted you to know that top-notch businesses welcome the feedback.

I can see by your brown water experience why you would likely think Celeb wasn't one of those, however.

Incidentally, we have had occasional discolored water in our houses in every place we have lived oner 25 years. Only dangerous one was after 2015 catastrophic flooding in Columbia SC overtopped the water treatment plant. We literally went to Cancun on a vacation and could stop boiling our water. (Who else ever went to Mexico to get good water?)

So, the ac stuff happened on the first day. It was our honeymoon. We were…. Busy. By day two it wasn’t an issue. We were also in such a good mood that nothing was really bothering us.

And by the time the other unreported issues like the tv came about, we were already completely exhausted with dealing with GS over the brown water stuff. 

We mentioned everything in our post cruise survey, except we made sure not to complain about our stewards, who were the only truly concerned party during this ordeal. Maybe because they saw the water first hand. At the end of the cruise, after GC and engineering were denying it ever happened, my steward sadly stated “all I did was tell the truth”. It was a bit heartbreaking realizing he might actually get in trouble for his honesty.

The real failure wasn’t the fluke brown water issue, which most of you will never need to worry about. It was the abysmal job done by the GS desk and the hotel director. For over a 24 hour period they were telling us it was rust, or flushing the lines. After that, they didn’t know. After that,  it never happened. It “couldn’t happen”.

It is interesting seeing the responses here. Some think we complained too much. Some too little. Some reeeally hate the name I chose, which seemed appropriate at the time.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CelebrityBrownWater said:

It is interesting seeing the responses here. Some think we complained too much. Some too little.

Not that interesting really...lol...it seems that nowadays it's the same everywhere about everything all the time.

(yes, poking fun at a certain movie title...)

And congrats on tying the knot!! Hope you have many wonderful years together (and without brown water...)

Edited by dlh015
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CelebrityBrownWater said:

I reported all major issues. You and Dave are fixating on the minor stuff like the tv.

AC isn't minor (but you did finally clarify after many post it was only an issue on the first day, but you felt it was worth mentioning anyway) and I use the TV to check my onboard account. I prefer not to use my phone.