WHAT TO DO IN KONA IF YOU DON’T DRINK COFFEE

jamscckmc

We don’t see any ships tours that interest us in Kona. We are doing Volcanoes National Park in Hilo so don’t need another Volcano tour.  Any good beaches near the port or any must see here? We aren’t doing a beach at any other port.

There are a number of nice beaches a short ride north and south of Kona.

Explore historic sites in Kona on foot: Visit the Kona Historical Sites in Downtown Kailua-Kona | Big Island Guide

Rent a car and drive to a few historic places: Top 5 Kona Historical Sites

Could also go deep sea fishing. "Deep-sea fishing in Kailua-Kona can be excellent year-round, but the most consistent fishing is usually between April and September. Blue Marlin of over 1,000 pounds have been caught every month of the year, and multiple blue marlin caught in a day is not uncommon if the conditions are right."

11 hours ago, CaribbeanBound said:

Could also go deep sea fishing. "Deep-sea fishing in Kailua-Kona can be excellent year-round, but the most consistent fishing is usually between April and September. Blue Marlin of over 1,000 pounds have been caught every month of the year, and multiple blue marlin caught in a day is not uncommon if the conditions are right."

Good luck getting that marlin through the security scanner 😎

• Haha 1

On 5/5/2023 at 5:32 PM, jamscckmc said:

We don’t see any ships tours that interest us in Kona. We are doing Volcanoes National Park in Hilo so don’t need another Volcano tour.  Any good beaches near the port or any must see here? We aren’t doing a beach at any other port.

Good beaches are in the eye of the beholder. Hawaii Island is not noted for great beaches like Maui and Oahu. The only beaches we really like are the beach at the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Hapuna Beach and the beach at the Waikoloa Marriott.

There is a beach next to the tender dock, but not 'good' in my view, but it is a beach and it works.

Kona is a fun place to stroll, which I did in my younger days.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2023 at 11:45 PM, CaribbeanBound said:

Having been in Kona and in Hilo, in my own opinion, Kona is the nicer side of the Island. We like it because of the nature and wonderful beaches. Not to say Hilo is bad, just if a choice we would take Kona. And yes easy to do Volcanoes National Park, from Kona. 

We did the Historic Kona tour through Shore Excursions.  A 4 hour tour, less expensive than through the ship.  Very enjoyable.  We don't drink coffee, but I bought some for souvenirs for friends.  I really enjoyed the Painted Church and the Place of Refuge.  Those are not found on other islands.

• Like 1

We went to Puna Chocolate farm. The tour was wonderful, he showed us chocolate, coffee, macadamia, and kukui nut trees (probably some others I forgot). Chocolate tasting at the end of the tour. About a 20 minute drive from Kona, we rented a car so I don’t know if Uber or taxi would go there.