Minor itinerary rant re:Hawaii

pinebro

7 hours ago, mahdnc said:

You had an existing booking and Celebrity elected to change your fare because an extra night was added?

Correct.  We had the option to cancel with no penalty or pay for the additional night.  

Our 14 night sailing that was Covid cancelled ended up being shifted to an 11 night sailing for the following year.  Celebrity made a pro-rated (downward) adjustment to our fare for the 3 missing nights.

That 11 night cruise was also Covid cancelled and we were shifted to a 12 night sailing for the following year (2023).  Celebrity did not raise our fare to account for the extra night which would have been justified.  However there was one couple on our roll call who said their fare was raised.  We guessed that the difference in treatment may have something to do with the country of residence.  We are from the USA while the other couple was from (I think) the UK or Canada (I will look it up later to verify).

Was everyone on your roll call handled the same way as you (fare increase)?

Grew up in Oregon.

In Astoria, rent a car (there's a place a few blocks from pier). In Astoria, drive up to the Astoria Column (https://astoriacolumn.org/), for a great view of Astoria and the mouth of the Columbia river entering the Pacific:

image.png.2b7e9131fd37c8d0ae0d1e1074b44fd9.png

Then drive 45 minutes or so to the south to Ecola State Park (https://stateparks.oregon.gov/index.cfm?do=park.profile&parkId=136) for this famous iconic view of Oregon Coast: image.png.7fadb7aa41a248784396dc083137831d.png

From there, can have lunch either in the nearby town of Cannon Beach, which has lots of great lunch spots in a tiny downtown dotted with art galleries and shops, or also could have lunch in the nearby town of Seaside (go to Norma's for excellent fish and chips and more). Or, return to Astoria and get lunch at Bowpicker (https://bowpicker.com/), an outdoor stand serving one of the best fish and chips in the US (https://www.oprah.com/food/the-best-thing-to-eat-in-every-state/9).

- Joel

• Like 5

On 5/12/2023 at 2:43 PM, hcat said:

You can stay on board in ASTORIA unless you see something u like. We were there when it became a port for X..we were not impressed! Hope it improved..

Read post #29.

We, too, have rented a car and driven down the coast when docked in Astoria. Seaside and Canon Beach are lovely towns on the mighty, rugged Pacific Coast. Lots of great lunch spots to enjoy. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BEAV said:

Read post #29.

We, too, have rented a car and driven down the coast when docked in Astoria. Seaside and Canon Beach are lovely towns on the mighty, rugged Pacific Coast. Lots of great lunch spots to enjoy. 

glad folks found nice things to do..yes the surrounding area seems beautiful but not many tours were offered. Port was not really ready...

our visit was "one of" or "the" first.  Memory fades, but I recall( hopefully correctly)  it was a long way to port from the ship..involved a  waste of a train ride., long delays by local dignitaries,  and very disorgslanized port.  The historic home we hoped to tour was closed..there was a drug treatment  facility on main street, a flea market with yard sale stuff nearby...

We managed a great lunch at an interesting  spot....forgot the name.  And headed back to the ship..

10 years ago while sailing Century to Hawaii I was told why no X (or RC) ships go to Kauai, it was not due to size. If Golden Princess isn't too big then surely Century would fit and Solstice?

Can anyone refresh my memory?

30 minutes ago, lovecruzin said:

10 years ago while sailing Century to Hawaii I was told why no X (or RC) ships go to Kauai, it was not due to size. If Golden Princess isn't too big then surely Century would fit and Solstice?

Can anyone refresh my memory?

Solstice is quite a bit longer than GP. It’s a tight swing to get in there if I recall.  

47 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

Solstice is quite a bit longer than GP. It’s a tight swing to get in there if I recall.  

Oh, you’re right, I was looking at tonnage.

Apparently Century went in 2012 but not after.

And also RC does have Brilliance stopping at Nawiliwili so I was wrong about that too 😆  

• Like 1