Pants in specialty restaurants

We will be leaving for our cruise in 8 days, we’ve traveled a lot but this is our first cruise 🙂 We have reservations for two specialty restaurants and plan to go to the main dining rooms a few times too. My husband is wondering if they enforce the dress code for men to wear pants at dinner? We’ve been to some places that enforce it and others that don’t in our travel's and we are wondering what everyone else’s experience has been. We will be traveling on the Escape if that matters, thanks!

28 minutes ago, hallux said:

Bayamo and Le Bistro are the only venues where gents are asked to wear long pants and collared shirt.  Resort casual is ok in all other restaurants.

Shorts are also not allowed in the aft MDR on some ships.

48 minutes ago, Wanderlust80 said:

We will be leaving for our cruise in 8 days, we’ve traveled a lot but this is our first cruise 🙂 We have reservations for two specialty restaurants and plan to go to the main dining rooms a few times too. My husband is wondering if they enforce the dress code for men to wear pants at dinner? We’ve been to some places that enforce it and others that don’t in our travel's and we are wondering what everyone else’s experience has been. We will be traveling on the Escape if that matters, thanks!

Shorts are allowed in all restaurants for all meals except Le Bistro and a second restaurant. The second restaurant is Ocean Blue, Bayamo by Ocean Blue, and Palomar on big ships. On small ships and the Epic, it is the aft main dining room. 

That being said, most will dress up a bit for dinner. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Shorts are allowed in all restaurants for all meals except Le Bistro and a second restaurant. The second restaurant is Ocean Blue, Bayamo by Ocean Blue, and Palomar on big ships. On small ships and the Epic, it is the aft main dining room. 

That being said, most will dress up a bit for dinner. 

He usually wears dressier shorts and a polo but he will bring pants just in case thanks 

There is an exception on the first day. I was at Le Bistro and overheard two people who had reservations and were wearing shorts. They said their luggage hadn't been delivered yet, so they were allowed to enter. Then on other days, I overheard the specialty restaurant enforce the no shorts rule. The great thing about Norwegian, you don't have to dress up for dinner - jeans or pants are the most you need to dress up.

13 minutes ago, genealogyfan said:

There is an exception on the first day. I was at Le Bistro and overheard two people who had reservations and were wearing shorts. They said their luggage hadn't been delivered yet, so they were allowed to enter. Then on other days, I overheard the specialty restaurant enforce the no shorts rule. The great thing about Norwegian, you don't have to dress up for dinner - jeans or pants are the most you need to dress up.

Shorts are allowed in all specialty restaurants except Le Bistro, Ocean Blue, Bayamo by Ocean Blue and Palomar. 

3 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Shorts are allowed in all specialty restaurants except Le Bistro, Ocean Blue, Bayamo by Ocean Blue and Palomar. 

I was at Le Bistro on Apr 14 on the NCL Epic and two people were allowed to wear shorts to eat there, because their luggage hadn't been delivered yet. Maybe other ships don't allow that exception, but the crew on the Epic did. 

BUT some Freestyle Dailies tell you that and it is NOT enforced, especially in the MDRs.   That was the case on the Gem recently.   Check on-board just what and when anything on this situation is enforced.

44 minutes ago, casofilia said:

Check on-board just what and when anything on this situation is enforced.

I think it is totally random.  I was on the Sky in January.  Warm weather cruise.  I wore shorts to MDR twice for dinner, saw the "pants required sign" but was seated anyways.  Then, a few nights later we went to MDR after a show for dessert.  It was close to 9:00 PM.  Hostess told me I had to return to my room to change into appropriate clothes.  🤣  We just grabbed some dessert elsewhere.

4 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I think it is totally random.

Hi Chief! Yes, the enforcement is totally random. But shorts in Le Bistro WILL get noticed by other guests. Not that it really matters.

Wander, just have your guy wear pants at night. You can't go wrong with that.

1 hour ago, RB9643 said:

Hi Chief! Yes, the enforcement is totally random. But shorts in Le Bistro WILL get noticed by other guests. Not that it really matters.

The closest I come to "pants" on a cruise is a nice pair of cotton sweatpants.  I've worn those to the "classy" restaurants several times, often to the chagrin of DW and DD.  I may pack a pair of my nice cotton broadcloth pajama pants on my next cruise, just to push that envelope. 😎

Slippers are an absolute given.  If I ain't leavin' the ship, I ain't puttin' on shoes.

And yes, I do have a witness. 🐀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dress code info from NCL site https://www.ncl.com/faq#!#what-clothes-should-i-pack

"Cruise Casual: the Freedom of Freestyle Cruising

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required.

Be sure to pack a sweater — the air conditioning can be chilly. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants.

Please Note: We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants.

All Decked-out: Smart Casual

Dress smart casual in our more formal dining room or in our more upscale specialty restaurants. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants."

16 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I may pack a pair of my nice cotton broadcloth pajama pants on my next cruise, just to push that envelope. 😎

Red and Black flannel.  I want to party with you, man.  😎  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Wanderlust80 said:

Yes you must wear pants, no one wants to see anyone else's naked butt, especially while dining.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Yes you must wear pants, no one wants to see anyone else's naked butt, especially while dining.  🙂

Lol 🤣🤣🤣.  Not unless that naked butt is J Lo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My husband only packs golf shorts for dinner.  
We eat in Haven and all specialty restaurants including LeBistro. We have been sat inside and sometimes thry ask us to sit outside, which is fine for us too. 

Enjoy!

• Haha 1