Tipping with $2 bill

I've been thinking of taking $2 bills to use as small tips aboard, merely because half as many are required as a stack of $1's. Has anyone else done that?  They're so unusual, I don't want people to think they're being duped. 

Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I like the idea because it is different.  However, some places in ports may not be eager to take them.

Staff should be able to exchange them at the front desk or similar office in crew's quarters. 

Don't do this. Merchants in places where the crew shops will often not take them because they don't think they're real. I suspect changing them at the front desk is a real PITA for the crew. There was a discussion about this very issue on CC recently.

Edited by Langoustine
  • Like 3

Lordy, I'm having flashbacks to a large and rather annoying posting on this exact topic in the NCL forum.  That thread went on and on and on until I think it was finally closed.  

Just don't do it, it's not special and rather an odd currency for those not based in the US.  Many foreign ports and merchants will not take it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, scooter6139 said:

Lordy, I'm having flashbacks to a large and rather annoying posting on this exact topic in the NCL forum.  That thread went on and on and on until I think it was finally closed.  

Just don't do it, it's not special and rather an odd currency for those not based in the US.  Many foreign ports and merchants will not take it.

Not just on the NCL board. Been discussed all over Cruise Critic over the years. Not a good idea. "Cute" isn't always "best".

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Langoustine said:

Don't do this. Merchants in places where the crew shops will often not take them because they don't think they're real. I suspect changing them at the front desk is a real PITA for the crew. There was a discussion about this very issue on CC recently.

Completely agree.  I’m Canadian and when I get US $ to take on trips, etc. my bank will not supply $2 bills ever.  They haven’t for years as it is not recognizable everywhere you may choose to use U.S. $

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scooter6139 said:

Same here. An awful thread.

2 hours ago, Live4cruises said:

I've been thinking of taking $2 bills to use as small tips aboard, merely because half as many are required as a stack of $1's. Has anyone else done that?  They're so unusual, I don't want people to think they're being duped. 

Thanks!

Just tip with $5s.  Widely accepted and crew will love it!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Langoustine said:

Why don't American's use the $2 note? Its legal tender I believe. It drives me utterly nuts the number of $1 notes I end up with in the US. Every other currency of equivalent value (even far less in the case of NZ) got rid of notes under $5 for coins years and years ago. But even when we had notes getting change involved a mix of $2 and $1 - why the hate against $2  ? 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, lissie said:

Why don't American's use the $2 note? Its legal tender I believe. It drives me utterly nuts the number of $1 notes I end up with in the US. Every other currency of equivalent value (even far less in the case of NZ) got rid of notes under $5 for coins years and years ago. But even when we had notes getting change involved a mix of $2 and $1 - why the hate against $2  ? 

Could be worse…. If you were in Canada you would have a pocket of $1 (Loonies) and $2 (Toonies) coins. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, lissie said:

It just isn't widely used here in the US, most cash drawers don't have enough compartments for the different bill denominations.  Yes it is legal tender, but just not common tender.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lissie said:

Cash registers in the US do not have a draw for $2 bills. And for small places that require the help to make change without the assistance of a register, it would be a disaster. US folk are severely challanged when it comes to simple math.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Could be worse…. If you were in Canada you would have a pocket of $1 (Loonies) and $2 (Toonies) coins. 

Canada must have a strong seamstress union as that much coin will wreck pants pockets.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lissie said:

We have tried coins for dollars as well...mightily resisted by Americans.

4 hours ago, Live4cruises said:

Thank you for the information - exactly what I needed. I did hope NOT to start a popcorn thread. 

I wasn't going for cute, merely efficient. 

Tips are intended to show appreciation; not cause extra work for the unwitting recipient. Though, legal tender is legal tender. 

9 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Tips are intended to show appreciation; not cause extra work for the unwitting recipient. Though, legal tender is legal tender. 

Not only extra work, but extra cost, for those who ask about spending US dollars in other countries...

3 hours ago, Banditswife said:

To make carrying small tips easier, why not take a couple of 20s & have the service desk break them down for you.  We do this for ports- have service desk break down our larger bills.

Have you had an problem getting ones? I remember on a few cruises them never having ones.  Ever since I’ve bought a ton of ones with me (not literally)

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

We have tried coins for dollars as well...mightily resisted by Americans.

I think most countries that successfully made a change from paper to coin discontinued the paper so people had no choice. As long as we print dollar bills, people won't want the coins. 

• Like 3