New Crystal Financial Stabilty

offtoalaska

10 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Should A&K cause it yes. Should the Crystal brand be the problem then no.

Genting took down Crystal as they did the other Cruise lines under Genting HK.

Remember it wasn't even just the cruise lines it was where ships were built.

I wish they were an American company so that more would have come out about what they did.  Unfortunately, this is not the case.

Genting made several mistakes leveraging a lot of money and when the Pandemic hit they made further mistakes and in the end this did them in. It is analogous to a few USA companies who could hide things until something happened which no longer allowed them to do that.

The good news is A&K has a very good track record and also withstood the Pandemic.

Wow this thread has taken a life of its own..   I am too busy enjoying the caviar aboard Seabourn Encore.  Lot's of loose facts floating around here....

1) Cannot separate the Crystal mess from the Genting mess.  To say that Crystal did not know the issues is denying truth.  Everything was public from the financial statements, the issue with MV Werften and the cash shortfalls, unpaid bills, ships running 1/2 full (except for Christmas when the fares were so low)

2) Who cares about comparing space per passenger.  The two old ships (and yes they are old despite all of the lipstick) -- have the worse space per cabin of any luxury ship.  You cannot deny it even if you say "well I do not spend much time in my cabin"

3) NC Crystal has yet to sail.  Can someone post pictures of the the beautiful new renovations.  Of course not. 

4) Most of the crew is returning.  TO BE SEEN.

5) NC lost its leader.  Even though I had mixed feelings about Mr. Anderson.  He was the Crystal leader.

6) Heritage Group owns Crystal not A&K.  Manfredi purchased A&K in 2019.  So the A&K you loved pre COVID is not the same company.

7) Crystal has a serious issue with its Travel Partners.  Read the publicity with the two large groups/consortiums BUT they are groups and many of their members are not convinced including some of the larger members.  This is a major problem, NC will not survive without the support of TA's -- just ask Frank Del Rio, what happened to Renaissance Cruises.

I loved OC and hope to love a NC but until they prove themselves in the market - no way as there are other lines that have and do provide a similar product including so far tried and liked Regent and Seabourn. Great food, great ports and great crews.

My bags are unpacked in Cabin 744 onboard Seabourn Encore IMMENSELY enjoying our Turkish and Greek Riviera 3 week cruise.

fire running GIF by South Park

And yes I may be politically incorrect.....(those that know me)

We were in Cyprus and the guide asked -- why do we drive on the right.

Correct answer is because it was a British colony.

My answer -- because the Turks drive on the left..

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Wow this thread has taken a life of its own..   I am too busy enjoying the caviar aboard Seabourn Encore.  Lot's of loose facts floating around here....

Don't they all.

At least we know your Internet is working.  🤣

Keep enjoying your cruise. 

This is one of the many issues where many of us will simply agree to disagree no matter how many times the same points are made.

Maybe the thread should be renamed "the great debate".

As to horses I prefer this one. Saw them perform in 1975 and then 30+ years later.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Don't they all.

At least we know your Internet is working.  🤣

Keep enjoying your cruise. 

This is one of the many issues where many of us will simply agree to disagree no matter how many times the same points are made.

Maybe the thread should be renamed "the great debate".

You are correct -- the internet is good on Seabourn..  🙂

• Like 2

Just now, PaulMCO said:

You are correct -- the internet is good on Seabourn..  🙂

Do they still charge extra for internet access these days?

They used to charge extra for those in the entry level cabins - that did surprise me

19 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

They used to charge extra for those in the entry level cabins - that did surprise me

In normal Veranda cabin - included one login per person.  So if you have multiple devices when you login on another device it disconnects the originally connected.  No streaming or VPNs. 

Suites get 4 logins plus VPN and Streaming.

Upgrade to 4 devices with streaming and VPN is $22 per day.

I managed to use the normal internet without any issues for 2 of my 3 weeks.  Yesterday needed to access my company servers via VPN and paid for a weeks access.

I find this a good way to manage the available bandwidth.  The speeds have been great. 

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Suites get 4 logins plus VPN and Streaming.

Diamond members and above get this regardless of cabin category…thanks to  last years loyalty match program for former crystal passengers we have enjoyed this amenity 

Nancy

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

This changed several years ago

Nancy

1 hour ago, nancygp said:

This changed several years ago

Nancy

Yes I see they now offer an entry level package and then the ability to upgrade to a stream package 

Of course under their status match for Crystal Society I believe some members will enjoy the better level of access 

From their website I see the current offer is 

Surf Wi-Fi Package

Allows 1 device per guest with unlimited minutes of access for general web browsing, email, and checking or posting to social media accounts.

Stream Wi-Fi Package

This upgraded package allows up to 4 devices per guest with unlimited minutes of access to web services offered in the Surf package PLUS access to video streaming, internet telephony as well as VPN/cloud storage services.

Guests booked in Penthouse and Premium suite categories, as well as Seabourn Club members who have reached Diamond-level status or above, will automatically receive the Stream package. Those who are booked in Ocean View and Veranda suites can upgrade to the Stream package for a nominal charge.  

Some exclusions may apply. Guests receiving a complimentary upgrade into a Penthouse or Premium suite will not automatically receive the Stream package. Upgrade charge for Stream Package is per guest. Wi-Fi service may be slower or limited during periods of heavy use. Shipboard internet traffic is satellite dependent, may face intermittent delays or interruptions, and is not guaranteed. Seabourn is not responsible if Wi-Fi service is temporarily unavailable due to circumstances beyond our control. Guests are not entitled to a credit or other compensation should Wi-Fi service go unused. Terms of the program are subject to change.

I upgraded to ph for extra space so I have streaming with 4 devices 

note: as with all ships under the carnival umbrella you cannot use vpn on board. But if you have streaming package you can use vpn

as Paul said, internet on this ship has been strong and steady. 

last time I was on seabourn you had to pay for internet. I was delighted with the change in policy

• Like 1

Regent and silversea also getting starlink

ncl and rc have begun the process across their brands

I’ll be on silver moon again in July. Hoping it’s installed by then 

eventually every cruise will have to have it to be competitive 

6 hours ago, bitob said:

Regent and silversea also getting starlink

ncl and rc have begun the process across their brands

I’ll be on silver moon again in July. Hoping it’s installed by then 

eventually every cruise will have to have it to be competitive 

It was being installed on Moon for the cruise just after we disembarked in March. Have not seen anything on it, but also have no reason to look. I would think It should be fully operational by now.

• Like 1

Sidenote.   Our new cabin attendant cleaning cabin today and noticed my Crystal logo tee shirt.  Oh I was with Crystal before they shutdown.  Will you return to them I asked.  Response was no, not really interested.  

Unscientific but the poll is now 4 Yes and 4 No on past 4 cruises.  Those 4 cruises were Regent, Oceania and Seabourn (2).  They included 3 housekeeping, 3 waiters, 2 bartenders. 

Guests run around the same ratio including some guest lecturers who were on the yes side. 

Edited by PaulMCO

1 hour ago, PaulMCO said:

Sidenote.   Our new cabin attendant cleaning cabin today and noticed my Crystal logo tee shirt.  Oh I was with Crystal before they shutdown.  Will you return to them I asked.  Response was no, not really interested.  

Unscientific but the poll is now 4 Yes and 4 No on past 4 cruises.  Those 4 cruises were Regent, Oceania and Seabourn (2).  They included 3 housekeeping, 3 waiters, 2 bartenders. 

Guests run around the same ratio including some guest lecturers who were on the yes side. 

I would be interested to know if the ones saying no were now on Seabourn as from what I saw recently the staff do next to nothing...why on earth would you want to return to somewhere you had to work?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, PaulMCO said:

Yes unscientific.

I would keep in mind something.

While some crew working on other ships have answered the question some won't answer it with a yes as returning as they don't want it leaked out while still under contract. This is certainly understandable.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lord Haw Haw said:

I would be interested to know if the ones saying no were now on Seabourn as from what I saw recently the staff do next to nothing...why on earth would you want to return to somewhere you had to work?

Not in our experience. Crew is wonderful. Service is exceptional. We are on 3rd week of cruise 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Have been on several Regent and Oceania Cruises lately and have had similar type of conversations.  Interesting that on both (which were both butlers)  they commented on how generous the passengers on Regent and Oceania where compared to Crystal. I did not expand that part of the conversation.

Several of the crew who previously worked for Crystal (non butler positions) articulated that they will follow what compensates them the best.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Lord Haw Haw said:

Yes it is unscientific -- but we are at least cruising and talking with past employees. We do not solicit the conversations and I wear shirts with many logos -- including Silversea, Oceania and especially my favorite "Corvette" branded items.

The ones that I met where the ones that provided excellent service.  In fact the staff on Encore are exceptionally excellent.  The housekeeper today found out about my Crystal past only after picking up my tee shirt from the couch and neatly folding it..

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 1

We will soon find out how many crew are attending and I am sure it will be around the levels that have been mentioned.

Everyone makes their decisions where to work and what kind of job to do based on many factors and one shoe does not fit all.  Certainly money is a large factor but depending on the person and often their position many other things come into play.  For some money is the single reason and for others it is a combination. In other words, some people will work for a company taking less money because of other factors. Others will base the decision on one or a couple of factors.

Each day i hear from Crystal crew who are returning with some on board now, some heading to the ships and some scheduled to return.  

Crystal always had the highest retention rate and if you take the time to know the crew it was more than money for many of them. 

Keith

• Like 1