New Crystal Financial Stabilty

offtoalaska

On 5/11/2023 at 1:54 PM, bitob said:

No

but I have spoken to my travel agent who knows what is going on 

How can she know what's going on if she refuses to book NC? Heresay?

• Like 1

The ex Crystal crew I spoke to were very eager to return and even gave me their date of return. 
They were chefs and bartenders. 

I know personally that Regent passengers give rather large gratuities to butlers and housekeeping staff. Plus many donate to the crew fund, 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AtA said:

How can she know what's going on if she refuses to book NC? Heresay?

Hearsay lol

very connected in the industry. You don’t have to book a line to know what’s going on

Just now, Cheddar Biscuit said:

A lot of testimony offered on Cruise Critic is hearsay. Keith1010 often provides information that he learns from his Crystal sources. It would be better if those sources posted, but nothing wrong with a little hearsay. And then we can each weigh whether or not it is reliable information.

Crystal does not post on CC. While a few lines choose to do that, old Crystal rarely posted and NC does not.  They view this as a board for guests.

As an FYI, the times I attribute a post to Crystal it is with someone who would know for sure rather than one who is speculating.  If it's my own opinion I note that.  If it's not someone in the know I will note that as well.  And if I am not sure I either don't comment or I am very clear on that.

As to posts from a few other people, lots of crew are returning. Certainly not all.  And for most they probably are not on other ships now as contracts winded down and for many returning they didn't renew their contracts with some on board the Crystal ships now and other returning in the next several months.

We all have to remember that even in the old days of Crystal that there was always turnover, particularly in some of the entry level positions and that includes stateroom attendants. This is for a variety of reasons.  Some just realize after a contract it is not for them and go back to land. Others find they aren't making the kind of money they thought they would. Still others might go to another line at sea. So hearing that some are not coming back is not a surprise. And still others were not a good match with Crystal. Sometimes guests could immediately pick that up.

With that said, old Crystal had the highest retention rate.  There were many reasons for this including compensation, the bond of the crew amongst themselves and with guests and the culture.  In some positions longevity is longer than in others, partly because folks also move into other positions.  

And finally I know plenty of crew with large families returning.  

It will have been 16 or more months since many sailed Crystal last and for some longer if they were just getting off the ships in the fourth quarter of 2021.  Some didn't work. Others worked on land. Still others at sea and to hear so many are returning says a lot.  There are some on land who wanted to come back and could have but chose not to because they didn't want to move to Florida.This is very understandable. At the other hand some have returned.  Crystal always had a nice mix of people who grew with the company and who came in from other companies and that is positive.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

With that said, old Crystal had the highest retention rate.  

Is that a fact or opinion/speculation. If it’s a fact then what is the supporting source? 

As to how many crew are returning I’m still not sure if it’s some, many, most etc - all these “numbers” have been mentioned by one poster - so I’m confused to as to what it will actually turn out to be - but no matter it could be any of these and one fact is that time will tell 😉

I too would like to see official responses and input by authorised Crystal staff as opposed to hearsay or reported comment - who knows maybe one day that will occur - in the meantime many of us will utilise various sources - both official and unofficial. One thing I would not do is rely on reported information from anyone not employed by Crystal - it may lead to disappointment when quoted back to Crystal (caveat emptor) 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Is that a fact or opinion/speculation. If it’s a fact then what is the supporting source? 

As to how many crew are returning I’m still not sure if it’s some, many, most etc - all these “numbers” have been mentioned by one poster - so I’m confused to as to what it will actually turn out to be - but no matter it could be any of these and one fact is that time will tell 😉

I too would like to see official responses and input by authorised Crystal staff as opposed to hearsay or reported comment - who knows maybe one day that will occur - in the meantime many of us will utilise various sources - both official and unofficial. One thing I would not do is rely on reported information from anyone not employed by Crystal - it may lead to disappointment when quoted back to Crystal (caveat emptor) 

Think whatever you want. It doesn't bother me at all.

I am reminded of the time when you posted that you were told by x person in headquarters something but you couldn't say who it was and no one challenged you for the name.

And yes, I have run down a number of questions on this board and another one you are very familiar with. And if anyone chooses to ignore that, my feelings will not be hurt at all.  

As to sources, I believe in going directly to those who would know. And that does not apply only to cruising questions. 

Bags are packed.  Ready to go. Can't wait.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Keith1010 said:

Think whatever you want. It doesn't bother me at all.

It’s a simple enough question relating your statement - is it fact or opinion that “old Crystal had the highest retention rate”?

It’s certainly an interesting claim and I’m sure others would be interested in learning what backs it up if it is indeed a factual statement - but it’s your choice whether you decide to validate it or not 

1 minute ago, Stickman1990 said:

It’s a simple enough question relating your statement - is it fact or opinion that “old Crystal had the highest retention rate”?

It’s certainly an interesting claim and I’m sure others would be interested in learning what backs it up if it is indeed a factual statement - but it’s your choice whether you decide to validate it or not 

Fact as shared with me several years ago in person by a former executive at Crystal from a report done by a consultant.

I am not sure how things are done "Down Under" but these types of reports are nothing new in North America. Our company commissioned these types of reports not only about retention but about compensation and other related issues related to employees including employee retention.

Again, if you don't want to believe this you won't hurt my feelings and as most know I don't make things up and if I speculate about something I am very clear it is my opinion just as I am clear if I attribute the answer to someone who would know from Crystal.

6 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Who believes this stuff.

Thankfully many of us are getting on with our cruising lives and haven't stopped.

You will always find familiar crew and new crew on any ship.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Who believes this stuff.

And your source.  🤣

14 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Thankfully many of us are getting on with our cruising lives and haven't stopped.

And many of us not only have taken a lot of cruises since middle of 2021 when the industry started to open) but are doing other things too.  Believe it or not there are many things to do on land. We just don't have to brag about it or put others down.  There are some who didn't cruise in 2021 and no one put them down for that whether it was a country related issue or personal choice or both. So it goes. 

No one said you won't find some crew members you know on other ships and obviously more from Crystal since it was shut down.  You might also find some on land too as we have for many years.

As to new crew with so many new ships and cruise lines and just turnover in the industry new crew is not something new (No pun intended).

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Who believes this stuff.

Very few believe it. Unsubstantiated guesstimates 

totally agree about crew  

old and new on every line 

Edited by bitob
  • Like 1

On the clearly contentious subject of who exactly will be providing the expected magnificent service levels on NC (😂), whilst we have heard about Hotel and Cruise Directors (all great news) what about the restaurant managers, a really important position, especially in Waterside ? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kool kruiser said:

On the clearly contentious subject of who exactly will be providing the expected magnificent service levels on NC (😂), whilst we have heard about Hotel and Cruise Directors (all great news) what about the restaurant managers, a really important position, especially in Waterside ? 

Wouldn’t you expect crystal to make such announcements (as it did re returning captains and cruise directors)?  They can send in an email to all the former crystal cruisers on the list they paid for to encourage bookings. They know crew and staff are important.   

Two possibilities: those folks are not returning or their marketing department is clueless 

Edited by bitob

Well...I'm not sure that Crystal should  fill our inboxes with announcements of who is returning.  Since many of those are currently working for other lines it would be detrimental to their finances.

Keith has been adamant about many of the crew returning.  Keith has over 100 cruises with Old Crystal.  I suspect he has made quite a few contacts with OC crew on those trips.

Time will tell...and very soon.

Dwight

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, bitob said:

Wouldn’t you expect crystal to make such announcements (as it did re returning captains and cruise directors)?  They can send in an email to all the former crystal cruisers on the list they paid for to encourage bookings. They know crew and staff are important.   

Two possibilities: those folks are not returning or their marketing department is clueless 

If you will recall, the OC quit including the name of the restaurant managers on the internet list of crew and entertainers on specific cruises. Does that have anything to do with it, I don't know.

Patty

12 minutes ago, History&Wine said:

Well...I'm not sure that Crystal should  fill our inboxes with announcements of who is returning.  Since many of those are currently working for other lines it would be detrimental to their finances.

Keith has been adamant about many of the crew returning.  Keith has over 100 cruises with Old Crystal.  I suspect he has made quite a few contacts with OC crew on those trips.

Dwight

That was a different cruise line — or so everyone keeps saying 

Many many people have contacts 

13 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

If you will recall, the OC quit including the name of the restaurant managers on the internet list of crew and entertainers on specific cruises. Does that have anything to do with it, I don't know.

Patty

They don’t need to name names to accomplish this 
50% of our beloved bartenders are returning

whatever

there are ways to do it his is not hard stuff

same 2 possibilities

Folks not returning in large numbers or marketing department clueless

1 hour ago, kool kruiser said:

Greetings.

I don't believe Crystal will be announcing the Restaurant Managers but the two lead Restaurant Mangers from the respective ships are both with NC; Leo and Remi.  

There will be a lot of familiar people coming back which is great news.

Will all be there?  No.

But year over year not everyone came back.

For example a few of the Head Waiters decided not to come back but that was before Crystal ceased operation. 

At the same time you will see some familiar faces who were with the Ocean ships and went over to other vessels such as Endeavor and are returning.

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, bitob said:

same 2 possibilities

Folks not returning in large numbers or marketing department clueless

Thanks for letting me know this is an either or situation. Crazy me, thinking there could be any number of reasons.🤣

Patty

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, History&Wine said:

Dwight

Dwight. You are spot on.

I do keep up with a lot of crew and with each passing week I hear from them and learn that they are returning.  All?  No, but the vast majority of those who I have been in contact with are. Some have been on board the past few months. Some are now home from being on board and returning and some who haven't been on board have returned already, or are returning now, or are scheduled to return over the next few months.  This is very consistent  with the interview which Cristina Levis did a couple of months ago. 

As I've said Crystal has always had a turnover but I think the numbers speak volumes for the crew, and  the bond they have with each other and with guests.  

And we will have new people as well as we've always have and that is terrific too.

Keith

30 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

They're cruel on the Regent board.

Stay here in the warmth.🤗

Well, I haven't been on the Regent board in years (having not taken a Regent cruise for over a decade) but, after reading the most recent discussion on this board, I'm not so sure the warmth here is particularly notable either. Keith sure does get dumped on, and I cannot fathom why! And I got mildly snarked at recently myself (by one of the same people), for a completely benign comment, which is why I've mostly just been reading rather than posting. It just didn't feel good.

I'm not one of those who've been active on this board for years and years and years, so I suppose that makes me an outsider. But from an outsider's perspective...YEESH! There's some weird vibes in here.

Keith, I appreciate your input as I know you have lots of contacts. I don't expect you to offer hard and fast statistics...your history with Crystal tells me you probably know more than most. Good enough for me.

And now, given past history, I suspect I should don a flak jacket. I wonder if I can find one that has sequins so I can wear it on formal night?

• Like 10

On 5/11/2023 at 7:49 AM, PaulMCO said:

Fooled me once shame on you.  Fooled me twice shame on me.   

Except you haven't been fooled even once yet by NC.  I am truly puzzled how so many folks seem to think this is the same company, simply because they took the name.  If they had called themselves any other name, would we see the same comments?

• Like 4