Black tie?

ScotchBoy

Need black tie - nope.  With the transition of formal night to "Cruise chic" you will find most men not bothering with suits much less black tie.

Bring a tux if you want, or a suit, or just a blazer or even skip the jacket and just wear a nice dress shirt - times have changed.

• Like 2

On Chic night recently we saw a few tuxedos and one guy was wearing a kilt.  My husband decided to wear a sports jacket and tie (and pants of course lol).  A lot of men wore pants and button down shirts, and many just wore pants and polo shirts.  The minimum requirement seems to be "dress nicely and cover up the ugly bits".  🙂

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, AmberCascades said:

On Chic night recently we saw a few tuxedos and one guy was wearing a kilt.  My husband decided to wear a sports jacket and tie (and pants of course lol).  A lot of men wore pants and button down shirts, and many just wore pants and polo shirts.  The minimum requirement seems to be "dress nicely and cover up the ugly bits".  🙂

Covering ugly bits...😁Screenshot_20230510_075730.thumb.jpg.01bc34aa425165cb135491678b38f439.jpg

• Haha 7

5 hours ago, ScotchBoy said:

Hi, quick question:- will I need to take black tie/tuxedo on my Celebrity cruise? I have plenty of blazers, but am more concerned about needing a tux and not having one with me. 

TIA

Not at all necessary.

As you are from Uk are you cruising on Silhouette from Southampton? You may find people dress up as they don’t have to pack for flights.

We cruised in September 2021 and there were a few DJs, either way you will not feel out of place wearing a jacket / a suit or DJ

We enjoyed getting dressed up on HAL, but those were also the days of cruislineformalwear.com which made it easy.  I have a tux but not real fond of schlepping it on the airplane so leave it at home.  Maybe someday... Right now, my wife wears a nice skirt and blouse, I wear black or navy cargo pants (that you can't really tell) and some kind of button up shirt (often a really nice Hawaiian shirt, think Nat Nast, Tommy Bahama, or the like).

Some of our favorite pics of us are on formal night in my tux and my wife wearing some of her nicer pieces of jewelry.

7 hours ago, jwlane said:

You will be in the minority if you wear a tux.

Meaning he'll Stand out.  That's okay.  It's all about one's own experience.

Edited by marieps
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, emmas gran said:

As you are from Uk are you cruising on Silhouette from Southampton? You may find people dress up as they don’t have to pack for flights.

We cruised in September 2021 and there were a few DJs, either way you will not feel out of place wearing a jacket / a suit or DJ

Agreed. Cruises from Southampton are more dressy.

Not for me to criticise but some of our friends from across the pond (the minority because the majority are lovely) feel that it’s their right to do whatever they want and to hell with the rest of us.

They also look ‘big’ in front of staff who are scared to challenge for fear of losing their jobs.

As others have said there’s lots of posts on this. 

Edited by swjumbo
  • Like 2

We will be on the Summit in June. Dinner will be in Blu.

Planning to pack dress pants and long sleeved dress shirts for hubby.

He would never wear cargo pants to dinner-trousers are more his style.

Thanks to all who posted giving us a good idea for clothes for him.

MJ

• Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 8:34 AM, cruisestitch said:

You do not need one but if you are a person who enjoys dressing up, you would not be alone in wearing one

17 hours ago, marieps said:

Meaning he'll Stand out.  That's okay.  It's all about one's own experience.

Based on they way the question was asked, I’d say he doesn’t enjoy wearing them, but didn’t want to stand out by not wearing one.