Pie or Cake

lenquixote66

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Pie for me.My favorites are Blueberry and Banana Cream.

Wild native blueberry pie tops my list with lemon meringue and peach pie coming in a close second. Then again…pineapple upside down cake, wedding cake and Boston Cream Pie are right up there.  

13 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Wild native blueberry pie tops my list with lemon meringue and peach pie coming in a close second. Then again…pineapple upside down cake, wedding cake and Boston Cream Pie are right up there.  

My better half makes a great pineapple upside down cake .

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My better half makes a great pineapple upside down cake .

There is nothing like a good pineapple upside down cake.  Canned pineapple slices just don’t taste like they used to since all the Hawaiian pineapple plantations were shut down.  I have to use a real pineapple that I ripen and carve up then cook with sugar before making the cake.

18 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

There is nothing like a good pineapple upside down cake.  Canned pineapple slices just don’t taste like they used to since all the Hawaiian pineapple plantations were shut down.  I have to use a real pineapple that I ripen and carve up then cook with sugar before making the cake.

Sounds heavenly😀

Enjoy a Good Apple Pie because I make it and all enjoy it.

I use Honeycrisp's from the Hudson Valley off the farm.

I do love others like Blueberry with NJ Blueberries also in season from the farm stand.

If cake, German Chocolate Cake w the recipe from the back of the Baker's Chocolate product.

Depends on what kind of pie or what kind of cake?

Coconut cream pie, cherry pie, blueberry pie, apple pie, chocolate cream pie, banana cream pie? Absolutely! 

Pumpkin pie?  NO!

Chocolate layer cake, chocolate mousse cake, black forest cake, German chocolate cake, banana cake, homemade vanilla layer cake, coconut cake?  Apple cake? berry filled cake?  YES

Carrot cake, fruit cake? NO!

Sometimes it's all about what I crave and what's on the menu.  If I'm craving dessert, I will certainly hope my only two menu options aren't carrot cake and pumpkin pie.  At that point, I want to know what flavors of ice cream are on offer (and hope I have options other than vanilla).

1 hour ago, ArtofZen said:

Coconut cream pie, cherry pie, blueberry pie, apple pie, chocolate cream pie, banana cream pie? Absolutely! 

Pumpkin pie?  NO!

Chocolate layer cake, chocolate mousse cake, black forest cake, German chocolate cake, banana cake, homemade vanilla layer cake, coconut cake?  Apple cake? berry filled cake?  YES

Carrot cake, fruit cake? NO!

Sometimes it's all about what I crave and what's on the menu.  If I'm craving dessert, I will certainly hope my only two menu options aren't carrot cake and pumpkin pie.  At that point, I want to know what flavors of ice cream are on offer (and hope I have options other than vanilla).

Unfortunately their are others like myself if the they are made right are enjoyable to consume.

Speaking of Pumpkin Pie, Carrot Cake and Fruit Cake. Just like the others mentioned above, others made not like those made with variation of recipes.

Fruit cake are really given a raw deal and always a joke but I have tasted a couple that would win others over prepared a proper way.

Pumpkin I must admit can also be made even better than Sweet Potato Pie, And Carrot Cake can be very well made and very tasty with the proper Cream Cheese topping to accompany it.

I had to defend these choices coming from a family related to food profession. Again, personal opinion cause tasting these not prepped right will turn you off.

And adding ice cream or cheese to certain pies even cakes IMHO is wrong and don't see the matching.

Well, I think what you are trying to say is that everyone has different tastes.

I don’t care if they are “made right”.  Pumpkin pie, carrot cake, and fruit cake taste awful to me.  It’s a waste of butter and sugar to add squash, vegetables, or candied fruits to them.

This is me simply answering the question for myself. I am not speaking for everyone on this forum.  Telling me you like what I hate isn’t going to change my mind.

50 minutes ago, ArtofZen said:

Well, I think what you are trying to say is that everyone has different tastes.

I don’t care if they are “made right”.  Pumpkin pie, carrot cake, and fruit cake taste awful to me.  It’s a waste of butter and sugar to add squash, vegetables, or candied fruits to them.

This is me simply answering the question for myself. I am not speaking for everyone on this forum.  Telling me you like what I hate isn’t going to change my mind.

We on Cruise Foodies are here to exchange comments, suggestions and experiences.  Yes, everyone has individual tastes and no one is here to change minds.

Here you will see some consider trying something but others as yourself kindly passing the offer..

Have a good evening...

On 5/19/2023 at 7:54 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

We on Cruise Foodies are here to exchange comments, suggestions and experiences.  Yes, everyone has individual tastes and no one is here to change minds.

Here you will see some consider trying something but others as yourself kindly passing the offer..

Have a good evening...

Here here…Cruise Foodies is not a site for contention of any kind.  Since food is so subjective we on CF can only offer our personal opinions.  Certainly not to hard sell any particular like or dislike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

OBTW BB, I make a killer fruit cake that comes with a dedicated fan base every Christmas.  You are right!  Fruit cake has gotten a very bad rap…unjustifiably so.  

I can still remember the ones my dear loving grandmother made so soft NOT BRICK, Tasty NOT DRY TASTELESS, Flavorful. Especially with a Proper Cup of Coffee....

A 93 year old former co-worker of mine made fruit cake every year at Christmas and brought it to work to share .It was fantastic.I called her a short while ago and inquired if she still makes it.Alas,she said not for quite some time.

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2023 at 9:25 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

That sounds really good, but I don't really like pineapple. I've never tried it in a cake though, so I think I'll try the pineapple upside down cake some day and maybe I'll change my opinion about pineapples...

19 hours ago, Willking said:

That sounds really good, but I don't really like pineapple. I've never tried it in a cake though, so I think I'll try the pineapple upside down cake some day and maybe I'll change my opinion about pineapples...

After you have tried a cooked ripe sweetened pineapple slice swimming in brown sugar at the bottom of a moist yellow cake moistened with crushed pineapple…you might change your opinion.

4 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

After you have tried a cooked ripe sweetened pineapple slice swimming in brown sugar at the bottom of a moist yellow cake moistened with crushed pineapple…you might change your opinion.

That really seems delicious. I guess I'll have to try it, I'm getting hungry just by reading your description. However, I'm not sure where to get that cake, or should I make it myself...