Bad manners on ship

Air-con induces coughing, so I guess folk from northern Europe come across it more on cruise ships, planes,  coaches and trains.

Yes, I've experienced the occasional person with un-covered coughing on ships.

But not in the wholesale numbers that you indicated

Which ship / cruise line was it?

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

13 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

We have sailed on the Cunard Line since the beginning of the 1990's and find the passengers to be a mature and considerate to fellow passengers.

So  a great entree into our Queen Mary 2 tale!  DW and I were doing a crossing from Southampton to NYC.  One morning we were sitting at some loungers near the indoor pool and noticed a lady across the pool who was cutting the toe nails of her male friend....at the POOL!  Where I come from that is not only bad manners, but GROSS!

I have been cruising (quite extensively) for over 50 years (on 16 cruise lines).  We have seen bad manners and some ridiculous behavior on every line with a single exception....which is Seabourn.  We suspect that if we do enough cruises on Seabourn we will eventually see bad manners.  

To the OP I would just suggest that no matter how you travel or where you go you are going to eventually find bad manners.  Unfortunately, some folks just lack class and good judgement, and they are everywhere.

Hank

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jsn55 said:

There are many things that can be done to improve the situation.  Unfortunately, people don't pay much attention, they're oblivious to the potential harm of their own actions.  I see the most important thing is putting your own health first.  Wear a mask, thoroughly wipe down surfaces in your cabin every day, avoid the buffet.  Use care in restrooms.  Consider whether attending entertainment in a crowded theatre is a good idea.  Fly in first class or buy 3 coach seats to be more removed from others.  Continue some of the actions we've learned ... use hand sanitizer often, don't touch your face, don't shake hands.  Learning to control your own environment may make you more comfortable with travelling.

Interesting about buying 3 coach seats.  If they are unoccupied I would worry they would give them to standby passengers.    

I thought this thread was about an 80s pop band from the UK.

I would have been amazed had they been performing on a cruise ship.

People coughing over other folk are just selfish and ignorant.

But they exist everywhere.

12 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I also have allergies.  When I get " the look", I just say, with a smile on my face.."it's not covid, its allegies".  

I'm not inclined to share personal health status with complete strangers. I cover my mouth when I cough or sneeze. If that is not enough for someone and I get "the look" they get a "look" in return which suggests further interaction would be ill-advised.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

Interesting about buying 3 coach seats.  If they are unoccupied I would worry they would give them to standby passengers.    

Sometimes the gate or FAs give you a bad time, but you just have to stay polite and repeat "I purchased this extra seat".  If you pile your 'stuff' on the seat during boarding, you get a little less push-back.  I have always wondered what would happen if a really officious flight attendant tried to claim that empty seat for another pax.  I haven't had to do this for quite some time but read about it occasionally so I know it's still an option.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

I haven't had to do this for quite some time but read about it occasionally so I know it's still an option.

I needed to find a ticket home from a cruise that ends in Istanbul this fall that didn't cost an arm and a leg, and so I was looking at Turkish Air. Their website actually offers the opportunity to buy two adjacent seats (in coach) for slightly less than booking the seats separately -- and way less than "front of plane". Since I don't particularly care about amenities other than space I am giving it a try. 

What's the worst that can happen, other than 10 hours in misery? 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Sometimes the gate or FAs give you a bad time, but you just have to stay polite and repeat "I purchased this extra seat".  If you pile your 'stuff' on the seat during boarding, you get a little less push-back.  I have always wondered what would happen if a really officious flight attendant tried to claim that empty seat for another pax.  I haven't had to do this for quite some time but read about it occasionally so I know it's still an option.

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I needed to find a ticket home from a cruise that ends in Istanbul this fall that didn't cost an arm and a leg, and so I was looking at Turkish Air. Their website actually offers the opportunity to buy two adjacent seats (in coach) for slightly less than booking the seats separately -- and way less than "front of plane". Since I don't particularly care about amenities other than space I am giving it a try. 

What's the worst that can happen, other than 10 hours in misery? 🤣

The way airline prices are going this might become a popular option.  

Here's hoping that 10 hours goes by pretty fast.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

The way airline prices are going this might become a popular option.  

Here's hoping that 10 hours goes by pretty fast.  

While I am now totally spoiled with sitting up front, I agree that soon I'll only be able to do that by upgrading ... and upgrades are becoming mighty scarce.  Still have credits and points and miles for a while, so hope life comes back to normal eventually.  

45 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

While I am now totally spoiled with sitting up front, I agree that soon I'll only be able to do that by upgrading ... and upgrades are becoming mighty scarce.  Still have credits and points and miles for a while, so hope life comes back to normal eventually.  

Our international airfares for the premium seat class we prefer seems to have jumped by close to 50% almost overnight.  Absolutely crazy.   

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jsn55 said:
21 hours ago, jsn55 said:

We often book three across in economy for long flights. The way to prevent someone claiming the seat is to rquest a boarding pass for the second seat otherwise the gate agent will assume it's a no--show and issue the seat to a standby passenger.

Edited by K32682
  • Like 1

I have a cough from both chronic lung disease and GERD. I hate the looks I get, but I also usually cough into my elbow or shoulder. We *just* stopped mandatory masks at work, so three years of mostly full time masking wore me out. I got Covid once--work related--but work masks pretty much full time as any chronic lung diseased person would.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I figure by the time I hear someone coughing I have already been exposed to any virus floating around so I don't worry about it.  We stopped wearing masks in 2021 and still have never had any respiratory illnesses.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1