Does booking air and transfers thru NCL offer any protection?

Elkins45

I’ve booked an Alaskan cruise from Seward to Vancouver. I did my flights through NCL and their vacation planner insists that I will be fine flying in the day of the cruise, and that they can’t book transfer for people coming in the day before unless they also book their (very expensive) hotel.

If I elect to fly in day-of and book a transfer thru NCL does that offer any sort of protection? I know with Princess if you book air thru them and miss the cruise they say they will get you to the next port so you can board there. I have no idea (thankfully) how that works in practice, but at least they say they will.

If I’m left sitting in an airport because my connecting flight was cancelled will NCL do anything, or am I just screwed in every possible way and on my own to get back home after wasting all that money?

@Elkins45

It sounds as if you have learned the hard an painful way that NCL treats people who depend on them to make arrangements.    It appears you have been GIVEN your details without having any recourse to ask for a variation.

I agree with @FLAHAM but hope that you took out your insurance BEFORE you got in this muddle.

14 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@Elkins45

It sounds as if you have learned the hard an painful way that NCL treats people who depend on them to make arrangements.    It appears you have been GIVEN your details without having any recourse to ask for a variation.

I agree with @FLAHAM but hope that you took out your insurance BEFORE you got in this muddle.

No, I still have the option of changing my flights to arrive the day before. I just wanted to know if there was some sort of backstop if I gambled on arriving on the day of departure.

if you have the option, please do yourself a favor and take it. a much better option would be book the flights on your own, that way to get what you want, when you want it. cc has been inundated with horror stories about peoples problems with flights arranged by ncl. ifsometing goes wrong, you are more or less left to your own devices.

Seward is a little different than other ports.  Generally speaking, you will fly to Anchorage and take either a bus or the train to Seward.  So your options to get to the ship on time are limited.

I'm booked for the same itinerary but not using NCL for this particular trip, flying to Anchorage from Seattle and in that case, many of the flights arrive super early in the morning - still debating my actual plans on when to fly.  But I have booked the pre-cruise excursion which is the train transfer to the cruise, leaves Anchorage about 1 pm.  So you can definitely book that instead of the NCL transfer - if the train is late, the ship will wait.  And the excursion credit(s) apply, so might be cheaper anyway.

In the past, I've also been able to book the NCL transfers, even when flying in early - sometimes it did take getting a supervisor who knew how to override the system.  But on my last cruise they cancelled my transfer shortly before my cruise, stating some nonsense about security at the airport.  They assured me that it was only that specific airport (Buenos Aires) but I'm getting the feeling that they are doing it elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Elkins45 said:

I’ve booked an Alaskan cruise from Seward to Vancouver. I did my flights through NCL and their vacation planner insists that I will be fine flying in the day of the cruise, and that they can’t book transfer for people coming in the day before unless they also book their (very expensive) hotel.

We're paying $321 for one night at the Fairfield Inn in Anchorage this coming Tuesday. If the hotel NCL offers is less than that, go for it.

Another reason to convince that you need to arrive in Seward at least the day before, the road from Anchorage to Seward is a 2 lane road. If your option is via car or bus, there is always a chance there might be an accident on that road and it might be shut it down and who knows for how long. There aren't any other roads to Seward. Also a chance that maybe the train might have an issue. 

I would look into booking your own flights and seeing about booking your own transfer to Seward the day before your cruise departs. You don't want to take the chance and miss your departure.

6 minutes ago, genealogyfan said:

Another reason to convince that you need to arrive in Seward at least the day before, the road from Anchorage to Seward is a 2 lane road. If your option is via car or bus, there is always a chance there might be an accident on that road and it might be shut it down and who knows for how long. There aren't any other roads to Seward. Also a chance that maybe the train might have an issue. 

I would look into booking your own flights and seeing about booking your own transfer to Seward the day before your cruise departs. You don't want to take the chance and miss your departure.

What about hiring a seaplane or helicopter to get from Anchorage to Seward?  What if the road is totally washed out three days beforehand and impassable... how far in advance should a traveller arrive in Anchorage in case some hypothetical and unlikely event takes place?

4 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

What about hiring a seaplane or helicopter to get from Anchorage to Seward?  What if the road is totally washed out three days beforehand and impassable... how far in advance should a traveller arrive in Anchorage in case some hypothetical and unlikely event takes place?

I know people who live in that area. They have told me in the past where if there is an accident, the road could be shut down (like for hours and hours). It has happened in the past. 

Many people may not realize there is only a 2 late road to Seward from Anchorage. There aren't any alternative roads to get to Seward. I wanted to make the OP aware of the road going to Seward. You never know what could happen.  Adding an extra day buffer on the day of departure is just a smart thing to do. 

1 hour ago, genealogyfan said:

Adding an extra day buffer on the day of departure is just a smart thing to do. 

I agree.  Flying into Anchorage and making your way to Seward on the same day is, in my opinion, too tight a schedule in case there are delays at point of departure, luggage issues, transfer to port etc....  I just don't see the need to trot out road closures, floods, fires, plagues of locusts and whatever else that could delay a traveller when there are all sorts of common and mundane reasons that could lead to travel problems which could most likely be avoided by coming in a day early.

We made our own flight and hotel plan but we used the NCL transfer from Anchorage to Seward. It was easy to meet at the airport after our 2 night stay in Anchorage.  Anchorage is not very big! The train ride was amazing!  We (NCL peeps) had our own domed rail car with an attendant who took care of our drink and food needs and gave a nice backstory to the wonderful sights we were seeing. It was a great way to start our cruise.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I agree.  Flying into Anchorage and making your way to Seward on the same day is, in my opinion, too tight a schedule in case there are delays at point of departure, luggage issues, transfer to port etc....  I just don't see the need to trot out road closures, floods, fires, plagues of locusts and whatever else that could delay a traveller when there are all sorts of common and mundane reasons that could lead to travel problems which could most likely be avoided by coming in a day early.

I was just giving the OP the knowledge that the road to Seward is a 2 lane road and there are no other road options to get to Seward. Things happen. I don't see the need to trot out "delays at point of departure, luggage issues, transfer to port, etc."

Make your own travel plans, fly in a day early and purchase trip insurance.  Don't screw yourself out of a having a great bucket list trip by trying to save money.  If you're flying to Seward from Kentucky, there is no way I would book a flight that arrives the same day as the cruse.  Also, there have been threads about NCL not really helping when passengers miss the ship due to their air not getting them to the cruise.

Personally I would do that trip in the opposite direction.  

Edited by Oakman58

17 minutes ago, genealogyfan said:

I was just giving the OP the knowledge that the road to Seward is a 2 lane road and there are no other road options to get to Seward. Things happen. I don't see the need to trot out "delays at point of departure, luggage issues, transfer to port, etc."

Yes, that's true... 

We have used BOGO air a few times. We always fly the day before and I book my own hotel and take taxi or other type transportation to the port. I only book ncl shuttle to go to airport when getting off ship.

4 hours ago, tony s said:

If using NCL BOGO remember the line from Blazing Saddles, son you are on your own.

Since I’m solo on this cruise it’s not BOGO. If NCL doesn’t provide travel assistance with their air then there’s really no advantage to book with them. 

1 minute ago, Elkins45 said:

Since I’m solo on this cruise it’s not BOGO. If NCL doesn’t provide travel assistance with their air then there’s really no advantage to book with them. 

As a solo you only pay half-price for airfare with the BOGO offer so yes, there can be a financial advantage. I've used it many times.

How much of a discount depends on the overall cost of the flights. For me, NCL doesn't discount a flight from Seattle to Anchorage that much and I have airline credits to use, so I'll book my own this time. Note, I will be using airline credits that I got when a NCL-booked flight home got cancelled/rescheduled for the following day.  The same flight I might have booked on my own at 3x the price.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, julig22 said:

As a solo you only pay half-price for airfare with the BOGO offer so yes, there can be a financial advantage. I've used it many times.

How much of a discount depends on the overall cost of the flights. For me, NCL doesn't discount a flight from Seattle to Anchorage that much and I have airline credits to use, so I'll book my own this time. Note, I will be using airline credits that I got when a NCL-booked flight home got cancelled/rescheduled for the following day.  The same flight I might have booked on my own at 3x the price.

I obviously don’t know what flights they will select for me, but the cost is $507. When I went to Expedia my preference of the available flights is $488. It doesn’t appear that I’m getting any sort of discount unless they are quoting a level above basic economy.

I was willing to pay the small difference if it bought some additional protection, but now that I know it doesn’t I’m inclined to just do it myself. 

NCL is be careful to tap dance around the issue on their website. They don't offer a guarantee just tell you secure you should feel booking through them. Several people on this forum have discovered that air by NCL does not offer any protections in the event of a flight/transportation issue.