Coco Cay versus Labadee

In NJ I went to the beach all summer.  I did all kinds of free stuff, but if I was in the mood, I went on the boardwalk, played games, arcades, and/or went to the amusement park on the pier.  

CocoCay is just that.  It is a beach day, but if you want something else, than you can pay for it.  It is not a theme park.  It is an area, with options for a family or yourself, but yet you can still just go to the beach.  

I personally like the giant pool, with a swim up bar.  I like the vibe of the place.  I don't use the water slides or the activites.  I don't even spend money.  It's just a nice day, and I prefer it over Labadee.

• Like 1

I used to really like CocoCay, but I think that RCCL ruined it when they turned it into Mini-Disney.   It was such a cool place to visit when the back side of the island was not developed.  Used to go back there and just chill out.   Used to see the sting rays all of the time just living a peaceful life.  Used to see Bone Fish, Barracuda, live Conch, and just enjoy the island.   You, nature, and very few people.  Those were the good old days of Coco Cay.

• Like 2

The only private island beach worse than Columbus Cove in Labadee is the NCL one at Harvest Caye.

Went there once and would never go back. Labadee is the most overrated private island there is. At least Harvest Caye has a nice huge swimming pool.

There, I said it. 🙂

31 minutes ago, NightOne said:

The only private island beach worse than Columbus Cove in Labadee is the NCL one at Harvest Caye.

Went there once and would never go back. Labadee is the most overrated private island there is. At least Harvest Caye has a nice huge swimming pool.

There, I said it. 🙂

I do agree about Harvest Cay.  Not even food is included, and the drinks were $$$ and watered down in our experience.

What made Columbus Cove so bad?

4 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

What made Columbus Cove so bad?

1. Water was murky greenish uglyish - this could be seasonal but ...

2. Lots of noise from the nearby activities (water park etc.)

3. Long way to get there and you have to go through the vendor city

4. Pathways there seemed incomplete and the tram drops you at the start of vendor city

5. Just not a beautiful place I would like to float in the water

If I went again I would go to that calm isolated beach area near Adrenaline Beach.

5 hours ago, TheHawk1 said:

Right, because a chain link fence will certainly stop the gangs and war lords from entering the tourist side of the island. 

We have a friend (bit of a free spirit) who very recently stayed at the Cormier Beach Resort about 2 miles from Labadee whilst touring the north coast from the Dominican Republic.

Had a few issues with the power and water there but otherwise had a great time and apparently beyond our fence the beaches and scenery are lovely.

6 hours ago, NightOne said:

4. Pathways there seemed incomplete and the tram drops you at the start of vendor city

If I went again I would go to that calm isolated beach area near Adrenaline Beach.

Ive never encountered green water or the water park noise at Columbus on several trips but its possible.

Tram does go all the way to Columbus Cove.

16 hours ago, RJ257 said:

Ive never encountered green water or the water park noise at Columbus on several trips but its possible.

Tram does go all the way to Columbus Cove.

Didn't for us. Last there 9-5-2022. Stopped at Artisan's Village and went no further. Maybe it varies.

37 minutes ago, NightOne said:

Didn't for us. Last they’re 9-5-2022. Stopped at Artisan's Village and went no further. Maybe it varies.

I

37 minutes ago, NightOne said:

Didn't for us. Last there 9-5-2022. Stopped at Artisan's Village and went no further. Maybe it varies.

There are 2 shuttles. One with single car and one with 2 cars. The single goes to Columbus Cove if I remember correctly. 

1 hour ago, RJ257 said:

I

There are 2 shuttles. One with single car and one with 2 cars. The single goes to Columbus Cove if I remember correctly. 

I had someone in my party with accessibility needs. Maybe that is why the tram didn't go further for us.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2023 at 12:48 PM, NightOne said:

That's fair.  Sounds like you've had bad luck.

We've always had clear(ish) water. Not crystal clear but not murky

We haven't had noise either

It is a long way there, agreed

There is a tram that takes you all the way, but I agree it can maybe be a hassle finding the right one

We've been there 5 times or more and so far we've had great experiences.  Bummer yours wasn't so great.  Maybe next time...

Reminds me of how we raved about Megens Bay in St. Thomas to our friends.  They went and didn't like it much at all.  The difference?  Their day was misty and cloudy overcast, which made everything a struggle and the water just looked dark and dreary.  We went on a beautiful sunny day, so the sand was sparkling white and the water was amazing hues of blue.  Add to that the lush greenery to the sides of the cove and it just felt amazing.  

image.png.89ffc36c8203d12bfe057afce5ab0c06.png

• Like 1

On 5/15/2023 at 4:30 PM, mac_tlc said:

... the chicken sandwich at the snack shack ... 

I'm going to the Snack Shack next time.  How does the chicken sandwich stack up against Chick-Fillet's sandwich?  

On 5/15/2023 at 7:55 PM, cruisegirl1 said:

I love that Coco Cay and Labadee are "free" beach days.  No transportation to a beach, lunch  included drink package ( or drink vouchers)  works, chairs/umbrellas included etc.   A day like that on another island can cost well over $100 per person. We don't live at the beach, so love a "free" beach day. 

Yes to this!  

On 5/16/2023 at 10:19 AM, TheHawk1 said:

Right, because a chain link fence will certainly stop the gangs and war lords from entering the tourist side of the island. 

Gangs and war lords don't want to travel to a remote area of Hati to rob a bunch of people in their bathing suits who left their wallets back on the ship.  

• Like 1

On 5/15/2023 at 3:51 PM, Annicruise2014 said:

Which do you prefer and why?

Thanks,

Labadee.We have been there 12 times since our first time there in 2011.

On that cruise I bought a Labadee tee shirt which I always wear when in Labadee and when people attempt to sell me something I point to the shirt saying I have been here before.Labadee has great natural beauty.

Cococay appears manufactured .

• Like 1

On 5/16/2023 at 9:48 AM, NightOne said:

11 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

That's fair.  Sounds like you've had bad luck.

We've always had clear(ish) water. Not crystal clear but not murky

I'd say just bad luck.  Our water was crystal clear.  Hopefully you get a chance to give it second try.  We loved Columbus Cove however, we had a bungalow so perhaps that improved the experience.  

IMG_0677.jpeg

• Like 2