Coco Cay versus Labadee

3 minutes ago, Annicruise2014 said:

Which do you prefer and why?

Thanks,

Cococay, they have way more delicious food options (and way more stuff in general but I tend focus on food when I cruise, lol).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Beaches = Cococay

Zipline = Labadee

Waterpark = Cococay

Pool = Cococay

Cabanas = Cococay

Navigation = Labadee but only by a tiny bit

Food = Cococay

Lack of Agressive Vendors = Cococay

So 6 to 2 on my scorecard

• Like 4

Prefer the Oasis lagoon pool at PDCC and the chicken sandwich at the snack shack. 

Seems like the suite beach at Labadee is not as exclusive as it once was. The cabanas were open for sale to anyone on our August Oasis cruise. 

mac_tlc

1 minute ago, mac_tlc said:

Prefer the Oasis lagoon pool at PDCC and the chicken sandwich at the snack shack. 

Seems like the suite beach at Labadee is not as exclusive as it once was. The cabanas were open for sale to anyone on our August Oasis cruise. 

mac_tlc

Yes, the cabanas on Barefoot Beach are open to anyone who wants to rent one, but the beach area is not as crowded as other beaches.  Plus, floating mats are provided, and the drink servers are pleasant and attentive.     The "upgraded" lunch had become "downgraded" and the only difference between it and the regular lunch is a large bowl of chilled shrimp and shrimp salad.  Gone are the days of steak and lamb.

We find the beach to be quiet and relaxing. 

M

• Like 1

I’m almost to the point where I don’t get off the ship at Labadee anymore. Depends on my mood. I prefer Cococay but getting a bit annoyed at the Perfect Day song blaring all day (even on the ship now!) Im perfectly okay if the ship doesn’t stop at either port. Much better beach days to be had Eastern or Southern Caribbean routes. 

• Like 3

I like the quiet laid back feel of Labadee better.  I like the food better on Coco Cay.

Between the two I would choose Labadee.

Love the beach and loungers at Columbus cove with the ship as the backdrop. 

Love them both though.  Always a very nice relaxing day in tropical “paradise”

I like Labadee better. I prefer Columbus Cove. More tropical and more laid back for me. It all depends on who you are and what you are looking for which you did not state.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, twinmommy08 said:

I’m almost to the point where I don’t get off the ship at Labadee anymore. Depends on my mood. I prefer Cococay but getting a bit annoyed at the Perfect Day song blaring all day (even on the ship now!) Im perfectly okay if the ship doesn’t stop at either port. Much better beach days to be had Eastern or Southern Caribbean routes. 

I love that Coco Cay and Labadee are "free" beach days.  No transportation to a beach, lunch  included drink package ( or drink vouchers)  works, chairs/umbrellas included etc.   A day like that on another island can cost well over $100 per person. We don't live at the beach, so love a "free" beach day. 

M

• Like 8

Labadee, no question.  Why?  Crowds.  That's it, for me, no other reason.  I'm not a people person other than I like to people-watch.  It doesn't have to be really crowded to people-watch.  Having said that, I'd just as soon be on a sea day rather than an exclusive location/beach.    

• Like 2

If zip lining is your thing or on your bucket list, then it's Labadee hands down. Labadee has 

The Dragon’s Breath Flight Line which is the longest over the water zip line in the world. It's 2,600 feet over the ocean — with speeds of up to 50 mph. I have to say this has been my most exhilarating RCI shore excursion in the Caribbean. The Parasailing looked awesome as well and I will try that next time I'm there.

Coco Cay offers more variety in terms of activities, i.e. Thrill Park and all the water slides plus all the different venues. The hot air balloon is cool too but if you're on a ship such as Odyssey that has the North Star - you can get higher than the hot air balloon for free while you're docked at Coco Cay. 

Each private destination (Coco Cay, an island and Labadee a peninsula), has it plusses and minuses -- IMHO, they are both equally enjoyable. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Cococay, they have way more delicious food options (and way more stuff in general but I tend focus on food when I cruise, lol).

This! Was at Labadee last week and the food choices were very limited. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

This! Was at Labadee last week and the food choices were very limited. 

I haven’t been there in forever. I thought I had read the food improved/expanded & was looking at a couple itineraries that stopped at both islands. Then I watched a short video of the food at Labadee & abandoned that idea. 🤣

We love Labadee - our favorite port in the Caribbean!  We usually go to Nellie's Beach, find two loungers under an umbrella or in the shade, and spend many hours floating in the water.  We get there early, and then reboard the ship in time for a late lunch, as the BB choices on the island are just OK.

We like CocoCay too, but not as much as Labadee.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NightOne said:

Beaches = Cococay

Zipline = Labadee

Waterpark = Cococay

Pool = Cococay

Cabanas = Cococay

Navigation = Labadee but only by a tiny bit

Food = Cococay

Lack of Agressive Vendors = Cococay

So 6 to 2 on my scorecard

I'd argue the Cabanas a little.  I loved ours at Labadee...  But you're definitely right about the food.  Cococay was vastly superior.  

15 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Good thing Labadee is only part of Haiti due to geography then.

Right, because a chain link fence will certainly stop the gangs and war lords from entering the tourist side of the island. 

15 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

Right, because a chain link fence will certainly stop the gangs and war lords from entering the tourist side of the island. 

Probably wouldn't.  But look at a map.  Historically the north has FAR less protests/riots.  Almost all of the problems are in the Port-au-Prince-Gonaives corridor.  The major city of the north (Cap Hatien) is a gorgeous "rich" city with FAR less problems.  And even so, getting to Labadee is a tough haul across horrible roads.   Knowing that there are armed guards there combined with the tough journey to get there - I feel safe. 

• Like 2