Med Port Best Experiences Silversea

Bellanina

We haven't cruised in years and are trying to plan a bit ahead for our Med Cruise with Silversea. Typically we are on land with longer stays in each area, but look forward to more destinations and not having to navigate on our own.  Which Med ports have you experienced the best excursion options, and are not to be missed? Or would you just hang out in each and enjoy being with the locals and exploring on your own? So difficult to commit to excursions, but since they are included with SS we hope to take advantage of a few.

13 minutes ago, Bellanina said:

Which Med ports have you experienced the best excursion options, and are not to be missed?

Wait... you're asking us to list all of the Med ports we have experienced with good excursions?  Do you have any idea how many ports in the Med there are?  Too many to possibly list here.  And, I'd say they all offer something that shouldn't be missed.

How 'bout this instead... you narrow down your request to the list of ports you are going to visit on your cruise and then folks here can chime in?  This way nobody's time is wasted telling you about the incredible excursion they took at the Port of Latakia that shouldn't be missed.

• Like 3

Hi, I agree...there are way too many places in the Med to list them all.

What is your itinerary and/or what places are you wanting specific information about?

• Thanks 1

Good points-

I'll be more specific- I also failed to ask whether Silversea excursions are preferred over external excursions in that we haven't cruised recently- is it best to rely on who brought us there and will get us back to the ship on time? 

Regarding our start off in  Naples- we have two days in port.  An incident in Naples, one wrong turn after picking up our rental vehicle, put us in insane traffic in the past.  Whatever you do, don't drive in Naples. The experience was overwhelming for my better half, and he now has little interest in Naples, but I would love to see more of it,  especially the Spanish area.  I chose Silversea's excursion to Herulaneum one day, but wonder if that's worthwhile. We've been to Pompeii, Amalfi, Sorrento and Capri- all also offered as excursions out of Naples, so we are not interested in those. I'd like to see the metro, Spanish area, and sunset over Naples- wing it or do a tour?

Herculaneum is super easy to DIY. (though we did it from Sorrento not Naples). The Circumvesuviana train runs between Naples and Sorrento, making stops at a number of handy places. We took it to Herculaneum and spent a few hours enjoying the site. It cost about E3 each way per person. Can't remember what the site cost but probably not too much. And we stopped at Pompeii too, on the way back, which was fantastic because we went at the end of the day as most of the tours were leaving. So we had it to ourselves in the evening which was amazing and a little spooky too.

I just looked and the Circumvesuviana starts from Porta Nolano, which looks to be pretty close to the port where you dock in Naples.

Can't tell you much else about Naples since every time we've been there we just take the fast ferry to Capri and wander around there. Once you get out of the towns it's just beautiful.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Bellanina said:

Good points-

I'll be more specific-

Please do. Other than that, What Stumbles and Lois said. Would you care to elaborate on which ports you’ll be calling at as it seems you’ve already booked your cruise or would you prefer us all to ramble on for hours about places you won’t be visiting? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Bellanina said:

Punti buoni-

Sarò più specifico - ho anche omesso di chiedere se le escursioni Silversea sono preferite rispetto alle escursioni esterne in quanto non abbiamo navigato di recente - è meglio fare affidamento su chi ci ha portato lì e ci riporterà alla nave in tempo? 

Per quanto riguarda la nostra partenza a Napoli, abbiamo due giorni in porto. Un incidente a Napoli, una svolta sbagliata dopo aver ritirato il nostro veicolo a noleggio, ci ha messo in un traffico folle in passato. Qualunque cosa tu faccia, non guidare a Napoli. L'esperienza è stata travolgente per la mia dolce metà, e ora ha poco interesse per Napoli, ma mi piacerebbe vederne di più, specialmente l'area spagnola. Un giorno ho scelto l'escursione di Silversea a Erulano, ma mi chiedo se ne valga la pena. Siamo stati a Pompei, Amalfi, Sorrento e Capri, tutti offerti anche come escursioni fuori Napoli, quindi non ci interessano. Mi piacerebbe vedere la metropolitana, l'area spagnola e il tramonto su Napoli - ala o fare un tour?

Buonasera a tutti , scusate se scrivo in italiano ma parlo poco inglese, però adoro le crociere e navigare con compagnie Americane .

Sono Italiana, non vivo a Napoli ma la amo, potrei dire che è la mia città preferita.

Vi consiglio assolutamente di visitare il Museo  Cappella di S.Severo, il Palazzo Reale e se volete il teatro S. Carlo , è tutto facilmente raggiungile o a piedi dal porto o con la metropolitana.

Spero di essere stata utile.

Se aveste bisogno di altri suggerimenti anche per altri scali, chiedete e sarò felice di aiutarvi. 

23 minutes ago, nadia e famiglia said:

Buonasera a tutti , scusate se scrivo in italiano ma parlo poco inglese, però adoro le crociere e navigare con compagnie Americane .

Sono Italiana, non vivo a Napoli ma la amo, potrei dire che è la mia città preferita.

Vi consiglio assolutamente di visitare il Museo  Cappella di S.Severo, il Palazzo Reale e se volete il teatro S. Carlo , è tutto facilmente raggiungile o a piedi dal porto o con la metropolitana.

Spero di essere stata utile.

Se aveste bisogno di altri suggerimenti anche per altri scali, chiedete e sarò felice di aiutarvi. 

Many thanks for your input and recommendations!  I will highly consider those options! 

18 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Herculaneum is super easy to DIY. (though we did it from Sorrento not Naples). The Circumvesuviana train runs between Naples and Sorrento, making stops at a number of handy places. We took it to Herculaneum and spent a few hours enjoying the site. It cost about E3 each way per person. Can't remember what the site cost but probably not too much. And we stopped at Pompeii too, on the way back, which was fantastic because we went at the end of the day as most of the tours were leaving. So we had it to ourselves in the evening which was amazing and a little spooky too.

I just looked and the Circumvesuviana starts from Porta Nolano, which looks to be pretty close to the port where you dock in Naples.

Can't tell you much else about Naples since every time we've been there we just take the fast ferry to Capri and wander around there. Once you get out of the towns it's just beautiful.

Thanks for your input!  

17 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Please do. Other than that, What Stumbles and Lois said. Would you care to elaborate on which ports you’ll be calling at as it seems you’ve already booked your cruise or would you prefer us all to ramble on for hours about places you won’t be visiting? 

Sure can-

Rome 3 days 

Naples 2 days in port 

Palermo

Siracusa

Malta

Dubrovnik

Zadar

Trieste

Venice-4 nights- 2 days in port

As posted earlier we’re going to focus on options for Naples for now. 
thanks 

Visto che vi fermate 2 giorni a Napoli, vi consiglierei  il primo giorno di  visitare assolutamente la  Reggia di Caserta che si può raggiungere con il treno che parte da Napoli Centrale e tenere le altre mete per il secondo giorno, che sono più comode.

Se decidete di visitare  il Museo Cappella di S.Severo, dovete prenotare in anticipo.

Vi lascio il link

https://www.museosansevero.it/organizza-la-tua-visita/modalita-di-accesso

2 hours ago, nadia e famiglia said:

Visto che vi fermate 2 giorni a Napoli, vi consiglierei  il primo giorno di  visitare assolutamente la  Reggia di Caserta che si può raggiungere con il treno che parte da Napoli Centrale e tenere le altre mete per il secondo giorno, che sono più comode.

Se decidete di visitare  il Museo Cappella di S.Severo, dovete prenotare in anticipo.

Vi lascio il link

https://www.museosansevero.it/organizza-la-tua-visita/modalita-di-accesso

Thank you!  One excursion offered by Silversea in Naples is Reggia di Caserta, so I’ll research that option.

The problem with SS excursions is that they are very dependent upon the guide you get. We were in Zadar 2 weeks ago and had a fantastic guide so everyone thought it an excellent tour. The other 4 groups on the same tour were not impressed.

The beauty of an independent tour is that you can research and find a good guide.

On a few occasions I just headed into the city and did my own thing. I do not have to waste time with things I don’t enjoy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I did do many cruises that i am a little bit "sick and tired" of some - especially Spanish ports

Valencia  : very long transfer by shuttle 

Malaga  : reaching the ship was not easy 2 busses : do not blame SS but the port authorities 

Cadiz : ok but not for an overnight 

In France : St Tropez    -  cruise ships do receive a far better welcome in Antibes 

and in Italy Capri  :  as the ship is not allowed to use own tenders and in Greece Santorini : beautiful but overcrowded 

• Thanks 1

Obviously 'it all depends'.  I think Valencia is an amazing port to visit, with the Arts and Sciences area as well as the old city centre, with the terrific indoor market and cathedral, enough to occupy two days, and I also like strolling round St. Tropez.  Capri is pretty, but very commercial and hectic, I agree.

• Thanks 1

On 5/18/2023 at 11:55 AM, Bellanina said:

Sure can-

Rome 3 days 

Naples 2 days in port 

Palermo

Siracusa

Malta

Dubrovnik

Zadar

Trieste

Venice-4 nights- 2 days in port

As posted earlier we’re going to focus on options for Naples for now. 
thanks 

Rome: the Vatican (I have done private tour and small tour, prefer private), the Forum (I suppose you would want to do the Colosseum, too), Jewish Ghetto… really anything neighborhood-foodie.

Naples - Sorrento (I love Sorrento, food tours, agritourism, etc), Pompeii (not if you are old or have walking issues), in Amalfi, up to Ravello, Scala, etc., Capri is a ferry ride from Naples (Anacapri, third level is lovely), Mt Vesuvius. Lots to do from Naples. Instead of taking a local train we used a car service last time. It was well worth the money, IMO.

Palermo is gritty. If you stay in the touristy areas, it does have some charm. You can also head out to some of the Greek ruins. (Sicily has the second most Greek ruins in the world.)

Siracusa, head over to Ortigia. There is a beach, Temple of Apollo, lovely restaurants, the ability to take a boat ride around the area, etc.

Venice - head out to Valpolicella if you enjoy wine (Amarone, mmm). I much prefer Burano and Murano (where I have spent a small fortune in art glass) to Venice, but if you have never been, everything is walking in Venice (except for the canal gondolas) and there are stairs, stairs, and more stairs.

I hope I caught all the autocorrects that were not correct. If not, apologies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, drron29 said:

The problem with SS excursions is that they are very dependent upon the guide you get. We were in Zadar 2 weeks ago and had a fantastic guide so everyone thought it an excellent tour. The other 4 groups on the same tour were not impressed.   The beauty of an independent tour is that you can research and find a good guide.

Excellent point by Dr. Ron as to the quality, spirit and skill of the guide.  That can make or break your port "experience"!!  Some guides just repeat the memorized, boring "talking points" from Wikipedia.  Others connect with and understand the audience, their interests, etc.  Clearly the smaller the group, the better the chances for a skilled guide having a "conversation" in learning your interests, sharing details/background of value to those in the group, etc.

Some guides like to "entertain" you and make the "enlightening" details seem more relevant for today's world.  And too large of a group wastes lots of valuable time getting off of and back on the motor coach, etc.  

Below are more details and many visuals connected with two of our favorite Med ports. As noted, I super love Venice's great history, character and architecture.  

In Dubrovnik, its level of "being busy" can be a "make or break" factor for love versus hate for when visiting in this popular port.  On our day in Dubrovnik, we were the only major ship in port that day and the town was not too over-run and crowded.  Lovely!!!  Plus, our weather was super perfect that day.  That's another variable that is hard to predict and control.  

Plan ahead by checking how many ships will be in port that day.  Super busy?  Figure out ways to adjust and avoid the mobs.  On bad weather days, maybe more indoor activities will be more enjoyable?   

Need more?  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Dubrovnik!  Visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this super scenic and historic location. Over 49,583 views.    

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 103,522 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Agree with J.P. that Capri can be super wonderful.  Charming and interesting.

Pompeii is super awesome.  Why???   It is so unique and historic. It gives you a keen insight about how people lived and operated during that long-ago era.  My most memorable moment was in walking into Pompeii and noticing certain grooves in the stone pavement.  I asked our guide what caused those marking in the stone.  Our guide replied: "That's from the chariots."  WOW!  It became very, very visual for where we were walking and what had happened here long, long ago. 

Visiting the brothel house in Pompeii was also super interesting.  Our guide pointed to the seven different visuals on the wall that provided "customers" a choice on what “position” they wished to purchase.  They needed to use visuals there as sailors from all of the world visited Pompeii and its port in that era.  They didn't speak the local language.  Our guide in 1999 noted on one of these seven wall visuals that it was the "Monica Lewinsky position".  He noted that people from all over the world touring this site knew what that phrase meant, nodding and smiling, regardless of their language spoken.    Interesting little detail and moment for international “sharing”!!!

On another trip, we visited Herculaneum.  Very good and interesting, also.  Less crowded and positioned differently to present this history.  Very good pro/con factors for each location.  

Many great options in this region!!!

Here are just three quick samples from traveling along the Amalfi Coast on the scenic, coastal way to Positano.  Lots of scenic drama, color and charm!!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.4f9ab20fb091dd690a485f8b8dcc3a90.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.61c1f1233b0a33b5ad3847a91ee51356.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.83b3cec7d43dd9bd74d535fc744aca70.jpeg

From visiting Herculaneum, here are three quick visual samples.:

image.thumb.jpeg.2ea32e9f36e0eb6942490c59f9e74a60.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ee0872940ea76f614b70011b384c589e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f68dab04e8afa59d5b923e7a66880f90.jpeg

Positano is uniquely built along the slopping mountain side.  Here's a view for how this beautiful village "hangs" or stacks up along the water, plus an artist's view as he paints this scenic site.:

PositanoOverviewWater.webp.4a4b046de573a600a98157c37f2346a1.webp

It-Positano.webp.3c6f031a436cc622be27518d7a11557a.webp

• Like 2

19 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Plan ahead by checking how many ships will be in port that day.  Super busy?  Figure out ways to adjust and avoid the mobs.  On bad weather days, maybe more indoor activities will be more enjoyable?   

Excellent point re ships in port. . Thanks! 

18 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Many great options in this region!!!

Agree.  Maybe too many!  Since we’ve been to Amalfi coast towns, including visits to Capri and Pompeii from a week in Sorrento, maybe we should stick with Herculaneum.  Loved Positano. Great photos you captured. 

Echo Bellanina kudos for Teri's snaps; felt like we were right back in Positano sorseggiando limoncello!

And your Pompei shots are terific too.

Tho Teri, can't show Ida the photo of the lady with the handcrafted dinnerware in your first pix.  In the mid nineties, when returning from one of her NATO deployments in Naples, Ida brought back to Heidelberg, a full box of Vietri dishes. We still have some we regulary dine on.

Thanks to Ida's year+ deployment in Croatia (1995) and telling me how beautiful the Adriactic coast was/is.  Will be visiting Zadar (Hiking KRKA National Park), Trieste, and Dubrovnik on the Spirit in August.

Edited by WesW
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, WesW said:

Echo Bellanina kudos for Teri's snaps; felt like we were right back in Positano sorseggiando limoncello!  Tho Teri, can't show Ida the photo of the lady with the handcrafted dinnerware in your first pix.  In the mid nineties, when returning from one of her NATO deployments in Naples, Ida brought back to Heidelberg, a full box of Vietri dishes. We still have some we regulary dine on.

Appreciate the very kind comments and follow-ups by Wes and Bellanina.  For background, that pottery shop was in Ravello.  Wonderful, charming town among many along that  scenic coast.  

Just for fun, here is another "eye candy" sample from my files for traveling along this area. As I recall, this is a luxury hotel with great views along this coast.  What is not to love in this region??

image.thumb.jpeg.5ff7eed5c9e7400e5e5332741a0fe324.jpeg

• Like 2