Is there an elephant in the room?

Cruise-y

I'm really, really excited to get back on Crystal again. Like all of us, I can't wait. But I have a lot going on in my life so the only time I can book a cruise right now is September. I guess I'm going to address the elephant in the room. That is... the lack of information on port excursions, speakers and entertainment.

I totally understand that most of the posters here couldn't care less. I get it. You cruise all the time so don't care. That's fine. But I do care. And I suspect a lot of lurkers do too.

If I book a cruise for September (and I'd prefer more exciting itineraries but I understand that is a separate issue), then I have to pay in full by June.  Some here say "wait, because all that data will be coming in soon" but I'm wondering why it isn't coming already? Crystal has used shore excursion companies in the planned port cities before. This isn't new ground. And a new spate of lecturers would be very welcome (I'm a subject lecturer myself; I know there are plenty to choose from.) Are any shows in process? If so, where's the marketing blurb?

Truly, I'm not trying to be negative, but I have a lot of choices for a September vacation and I need a little boost here. Maybe this data has been posted on the website and Ive somehow missed it?  That is certainly possible. 

Interesting. Upon which topics do you lecture?  Could you give us some of your background education.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to hearing, on a cruise, what you have to say.

Thanks for a non 'issue' topic.

17 minutes ago, crickette said:

Interesting. Upon which topics do you lecture?  Could you give us some of your background education.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to hearing, on a cruise, what you have to say.

Thanks for a non 'issue' topic.

I lecture on estate appraisals, although not on cruise ships. It might be a good topic though, given the demographics. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise-y said:

I'm really, really excited to get back on Crystal again. Like all of us, I can't wait. But I have a lot going on in my life so the only time I can book a cruise right now is September. I guess I'm going to address the elephant in the room. That is... the lack of information on port excursions, speakers and entertainment.

I totally understand that most of the posters here couldn't care less. I get it. You cruise all the time so don't care. That's fine. But I do care. And I suspect a lot of lurkers do too.

If I book a cruise for September (and I'd prefer more exciting itineraries but I understand that is a separate issue), then I have to pay in full by June.  Some here say "wait, because all that data will be coming in soon" but I'm wondering why it isn't coming already? Crystal has used shore excursion companies in the planned port cities before. This isn't new ground. And a new spate of lecturers would be very welcome (I'm a subject lecturer myself; I know there are plenty to choose from.) Are any shows in process? If so, where's the marketing blurb?

Truly, I'm not trying to be negative, but I have a lot of choices for a September vacation and I need a little boost here. Maybe this data has been posted on the website and Ive somehow missed it?  That is certainly possible. 

People keep saying it’s a new cruise line lol

if that’s the case they are starting fresh

you are right

Personally I think their marketing people should be fired. So many things done wrong. Missed opportunities galore. This is just one more 

Edited by bitob
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Crystal is playing catch up with the shore excursions and this included adding the traditional ones and also those offered by A&K. With that said I looked at September for a couple of itineraries and saw many.

For the cruise you are considering to to the cruise then go to the itinerary.  Then all the way to the right of a port city click the + button to see if excursions are listed.  If they are information will be provided other than pricing.  That should come with the rollout of the system which will be used to make reservations.

I am not sure if there is a plan to list lectures as they have done in the past. I will ask.  

I do know they will have an enrichment program including lecturers.

Keith

12 hours ago, Cruise-y said:

Can I ask which cruise you are looking at?  I note that Serenity spends much of September on the Eastern coast.  I also note there are some stops with shore excursions listed; some not.  Quebec City has no excursions listed.  From my experience, you are much better off not booking an excursion there.  Do it on your own.  More enjoyable and cheaper. 

Or are you looking at a Symphony cruise? 

10 minutes ago, History&Wine said:

Can I ask which cruise you are looking at?  I note that Serenity spends much of September on the Eastern coast.  I also note there are some stops with shore excursions listed; some not.  Quebec City has no excursions listed.  From my experience, you are much better off not booking an excursion there.  Do it on your own.  More enjoyable and cheaper. 

Or are you looking at a Symphony cruise? 

I’m looking at both. If there are shore excursions of note I guess I have missed them. Thanks - I’ll dig again. I’m just looking for overall indications of robustness, I guess. I’d like to see onboard entertainment/enrichment too. 

44 minutes ago, Cruise-y said:

I’m looking at both. If there are shore excursions of note I guess I have missed them. Thanks - I’ll dig again. I’m just looking for overall indications of robustness, I guess. I’d like to see onboard entertainment/enrichment too. 

…just be careful not to put all your eggs in one basket! Twice, we were excited to discover a certain speaker would be lecturing on our sailing. And twice that speaker ended up being cancelled. Thankfully, we selected the sailings for the itinerary, but it was a good reminder not to book a cruise solely for one speaker. 

With that said, I understand your conundrum and hope info will be available soon. 👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, BEAV said:

…just be careful not to put all your eggs in one basket! Twice, we were excited to discover a certain speaker would be lecturing on our sailing. And twice that speaker ended up being cancelled. Thankfully, we selected the sailings for the itinerary, but it was a good reminder not to book a cruise solely for one speaker. 

With that said, I understand your conundrum and hope info will be available soon. 👍

Oh yes of course. I totally agree. I think I’m mainly looking to see if it seems things are “off and running” if you will. The lack of info so close to sailings just makes me nervous about a PIF booking. 

I understand this is a start-up and things are slow - but still, these seem like easy things to at least start hinting about. I wonder how the cabin refurbs coming? Maybe a teaser pic or two?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BEAV said:

Ditto for port stops.

• Like 3

On 5/20/2023 at 9:04 PM, CwazeAndCwaze said:

I was really afraid this post was about me.  I have packed it on in my old age.

So nice to see a post from you! On our very port intensive cruise last month my husband and I would say " sir, sir where are we?"  Hope you travel soon and take us along with y'all.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SkystheLimit said:

So nice to see a post from you! On our very port intensive cruise last month my husband and I would say " sir, sir where are we?"  Hope you travel soon and take us along with y'all.

That is so kind.  And it made my day.  Thank you.

Scott

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Highly recommend you don’t pay until last minute. Check with credit card agreement. Insurance depends on credit card, in case of bankruptcy (how many months covered). NO way will we travel with this “new” cruise line, being ripped off by “former” Crystal. Same management team, under new Crystal, only differences is ownership.

1 hour ago, startrekercruiser said:

Highly recommend you don’t pay until last minute. Check with credit card agreement. Insurance depends on credit card, in case of bankruptcy (how many months covered). NO way will we travel with this “new” cruise line, being ripped off by “former” Crystal. Same management team, under new Crystal, only differences is ownership.

I know this is an open forum, but I really don't understand why anyone who has no intention of ever sailing with the new Crystal wastes a moment of their time here. But, whatever floats your boat.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, startrekercruiser said:

Same management team, under new Crystal, only differences is ownership.

And here I thought ownership was the most important part when it came to money...

• Like 2

It's funny. If they would have bought the ships and called them by a new name some of this would not come up. But they chose to call them Crystal and to keep many of the things many of us loved about Crystal.

Yes what happened to old Crystal is a good reminder to all of us to always remember about default but that is true for everything whether that is the stock you buy to the contractor who does a project for you.

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1