Hobbiton tours being cancelled from Tauranga.

Hi all, I'm on a Celebrity Edge sailing January 24 and have been having some trouble booking the excursion to see Hobbiton from Tauranga on Jan 21st. The ships excursion seems to have been withdrawn and several people are reporting having their independently booked tours cancelled. Is something going on at that time? All seems a bit strange. All insights and help greatly appreciated. 

Many thanks

There is something happening there, but I am not sure what. It would appear to be related to one of the main tour companies that operate from Tauranga, as many of those providers still operate a Hobbiton tour from Auckland the previous day. While it appears there are several places you can book the tour, many of them just independently ticket the same tour company.

There are still some companies offering the tour from Tauranga, so search quickly. This is one, but I have not used this company to be able to recommend

https://www.cruisetourstauranga.co.nz/hobbiton-movie-set-tour

There is some development going on at Hobbiton later this year but it should be completed before the new year. However because of this the tours will be longer, 2.5 hours instead of 2 hours. This may mean they have to reduce the number of tours available daily. Details on the Hobbiton website:

https://www.hobbitontours.com/en/bagshot/

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Thanks 1

Yes I looked up the company we did the Hobbiton trip from Tauranga previously (Zealandia) & showing no tours at all, not just on your date but any date??

Even Hobbiton site is showing nothing about tours from Tauranga.

No idea on what’s happening. Our niece lives in Tauranga. I’ll ask her if she knows anything - maybe she’ll drive you 😁

12 hours ago, mr walker said:

Yes I looked up the company we did the Hobbiton trip from Tauranga previously (Zealandia) & showing no tours at all, not just on your date but any date??

Even Hobbiton site is showing nothing about tours from Tauranga.

No idea on what’s happening. Our niece lives in Tauranga. I’ll ask her if she knows anything - maybe she’ll drive you 😁

If she knows anything that would be great thank you mr walker. Ive been doing some more research and there is sone development there during 2023 but it is supposed to be completed by December. 

7 hours ago, Aussieflyer said:

Interestingly I just checked our Silversea cruise in early December and Hobbiton is still showing as a shorex from Tauranga - though that might change.

Are you on the Muse Aussieflyer? It's my first time down under and also my first time on Celebrity.

On 5/19/2023 at 11:51 AM, Daveywavey70 said:

Hi all, I'm on a Celebrity Edge sailing January 24 and have been having some trouble booking the excursion to see Hobbiton from Tauranga on Jan 21st. The ships excursion seems to have been withdrawn and several people are reporting having their independently booked tours cancelled. Is something going on at that time? All seems a bit strange. All insights and help greatly appreciated. 

Many thanks

We also have tours booked but have been informed that they will be cancelled because of construction that will be taking place. We were told that no release date has been given for when the construction will be completed, and tours resumed. Very disappointing.

3 hours ago, JJK2008 said:

We also have tours booked but have been informed that they will be cancelled because of construction that will be taking place. We were told that no release date has been given for when the construction will be completed, and tours resumed. Very disappointing.

Many thanks JJK. It all seems quite strange. According to their website the work is being carried out throughout this year but with a small area under construction only viewable from a distance. Are you on the same sailing (13th Jan)?

9 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Are you on the Muse Aussieflyer? It's my first time down under and also my first time on Celebrity.

Yes, we are on Silver Muse. We were on her (similar itinerary) just before COVID and like her very much - nice and small but lots of eating options rather than a barn of a MDR like on some other ships.

Our first cruise to NZ was on Celebrity and we have cruised with them quite a lot - haven't been on the newer ones like Edge but we liked Solstice and Infinity. We were on them before suites had their own restaurant. On Solstice we did Aqua a few times to use the Blu restaurant.

Hope you have a great time down this part of the world.

Edited by Aussieflyer
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Many thanks JJK. It all seems quite strange. According to their website the work is being carried out throughout this year but with a small area under construction only viewable from a distance. Are you on the same sailing (13th Jan)?

No, we are on the Nov., 2nd sailing. We currently have two reservations booked for the Hobbiton tour. 1 with the cruise line and 1 with Viator that uses Zealandier. I had originally contacted Zealandier direct and was informed by them that they were not taking any reservations because of the construction project and could not give me a time-frame for completion, since their booking were controlled by Hobbiton directly. Here is the email they sent me on March 21, 2023.

Hi John

I understand from Hobbiton that they are not ready to release group reservations for cruise ships and passengers as yet - we have to wait for them to allow us to place our forward bookings in - and we have to do this for the entire season - so until we have the go ahead from Hobbiton it would remiss of me to take forward bookings

I am sorry - about this -

Warm Regards

Jan Davies

Zealandier Tours of New Zealand

From this email, it appears no tours from any company will take place until Hobbiton agrees to take reservations. So, even though we have reservations confirmed and booked, we'll have to wait and see if they are a go. Trying to be optimistic because this was a big, anticipated highlight for us on this cruise. Best of Luck.
John

9 hours ago, JJK2008 said:

No, we are on the Nov., 2nd sailing. We currently have two reservations booked for the Hobbiton tour. 1 with the cruise line and 1 with Viator that uses Zealandier. I had originally contacted Zealandier direct and was informed by them that they were not taking any reservations because of the construction project and could not give me a time-frame for completion, since their booking were controlled by Hobbiton directly. Here is the email they sent me on March 21, 2023.

Hi John

I understand from Hobbiton that they are not ready to release group reservations for cruise ships and passengers as yet - we have to wait for them to allow us to place our forward bookings in - and we have to do this for the entire season - so until we have the go ahead from Hobbiton it would remiss of me to take forward bookings

I am sorry - about this -

Warm Regards

Jan Davies

Zealandier Tours of New Zealand

From this email, it appears no tours from any company will take place until Hobbiton agrees to take reservations. So, even though we have reservations confirmed and booked, we'll have to wait and see if they are a go. Trying to be optimistic because this was a big, anticipated highlight for us on this cruise. Best of Luck.
John

Well, that explains it all for now. I guess the slots will open up at some point. Bit disappointing for those who have had bookings cancelled or wanting to get reservations in place ahead of time.

Hobbiton is definitely worth a visit for anyone with any interest in The Hobbit or LOTR.

Anyone going to Wellington should consider visiting the Weta workshops also.

On 5/21/2023 at 8:27 PM, mr walker said:

Well, that explains it all for now. I guess the slots will open up at some point. Bit disappointing for those who have had bookings cancelled or wanting to get reservations in place ahead of time.

Hobbiton is definitely worth a visit for anyone with any interest in The Hobbit or LOTR.

Anyone going to Wellington should consider visiting the Weta workshops also.

At this point we're just hoping for the best. We do have 2 reservations for Hobbiton tours that were confirmed, 1 through Princess Cruises and 1 through Viator. Viator uses Zealandier Tours as their operator and we already know that Zealandier Tours is not accepting reservations at this point. So, the Viator reservation is an empty shell unless Zealandier starts to accept reservations. As we get closer, we'll check the progress on the construction and see if any tours will happen. I have read a number of posts that have claimed that the construction project at Hobbiton will be complete by the end of November. However, I have not been able to confirm this anywhere. Zealandier Tours told me that Hobbiton was not taking any reservations at all for the upcoming 23 - 24 season. So, I'm guessing that the info on the construction completion although well intentioned is probably not accurate. I have exchanged a number of emails with Zealandier Tours directly. They have been great providing info. Zealandier said they will keep us on a list for the tour and should Hobbiton itself start accepting reservations, then we will be notified. Until Hobbiton itself opens up to accepting reservations, no tour company will be having tours. Here's hoping!!!

We seem to have sorted it now. We have a group for our cruise on the other site and have managed to co-ordinate it between us. The tickets certainly are for sale from Hobbiton and they have "confirmed" that construction will be completed by December. We have found a car service too that seem happy to take the booking. We are planning a brief diversion to Rotorua too so hopefully all will work out. I'd have been gutted if we missed out. Thanks for taking the time to respond and for the input everybody.

• Like 1

Came across this thread while looking for another answer on items allowed/not allowed into Australia.  

Based on reading these posts, the chances aren't good for a cruise ship tour from Tauranga to Hobbiton in Nov - correct??  We will be in Tauranga on 21 Nov on the Grand Princess.  A family cruise with the older kids and grandkid really wanting to visit Hobbiton.  Right now, the Grand Princess is taking reservations for the Hobbiton tour  from Tauranga. Will appreciate any updates that anyone might hear about if bookings start up.  I'm not expecting Princess to send any notifications that their tour might not take place due to the construction at Hobbiton. JJK2008, if you hear anything from Royal Princess about the tour, please post.  TIA

• Like 1

We're cruising on Grand in Jan-24 and my husband and teenage daughter really want to see Hobbiton so I'm following this with interest too. Not being a LOTR fan, I would prefer to visit Rotorua, so planning our activities from port of Tauranga is tricky!! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
14 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

www.hobbitontours.com may shed some light on this.

That shows you can book on the day we are scheduled to visit. I expect it is likely that they (Princess) are short on busses again like last time we were in NZ.

• 2 weeks later...