Anthem - Geirainger issues today

Hi all, 

My parents are on Anthem today and have been messaging me quite disappointed as apparently the walkway at Geirainger, Norway (a trip highlight) is broken, so the ship couldn't dock. They sat waiting for a few hours waiting for tender boats but then they cancelled that too and now the ship is leaving... No offer of explanation or replacement/compensation, just an apology.

Anyone onboard know what's going on?

That’s a shame - Geiranger is beautiful.

These things happen, and hopefully Royal will throw some free OBC at everyone (albeit they don’t have to - it would purely be a goodwill gesture).

Organising that takes a bit of time though, so your parents shouldn’t expect instant compensation.

Do they have cruise insurance? If so it should pay out for a missed port.

Edited by gumshoe958
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark_UK said:

Hi all, 

My parents are on Anthem today and have been messaging me quite disappointed as apparently the walkway at Geirainger, Norway (a trip highlight) is broken, so the ship couldn't dock. They sat waiting for a few hours waiting for tender boats but then they cancelled that too and now the ship is leaving... No offer of explanation or replacement/compensation, just an apology.

Anyone onboard know what's going on?

In Geiranger they have to use the ship's tenders, why did't they do this?

3 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Yikes, hope they fix it soon. We are there on Jewel next month. 

mac_tlc

They can tender with two or even three ships in Geiranger, usually not a problem. On June 19 Jewel will tender as Costa Firenze uses the pier.

Edited by Saab4444
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That is a pretty specific rider.  Very few policies have that

I've got it in my policy, which I bought through TA.  The one bought with RC probably doesn't have it.  I believe I get $100 for a missed port.

1 hour ago, kmsnyg said:

I’m on this cruise. They tried to tender but told us there was wind issues preventing it. Weird thing is, Holland America was also in port and tendering just fine.

Seems odd Holland America were able to manage it. Any updates from the ship as to why they couldn't?

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That is a pretty specific rider.  Very few policies have that

In the UK, cruise cover is commonly available as an extra cost add-on to travel insurance policies.

It also pays out for things like breaking down or losing your passport on the way to the ship and being confined to your cabin or missing excursions if you get sick.

• Thanks 1

Was in Geiranger last week and it was fine .... such a shame but I'm sure they will get an excursion refund at least. I was due to go up Mt Dalsnibba but the road was still closed with snow - I did most of the trip and we were automatically refunded a % for the part we missed out on ... they should also get port fees refunded - it all happened instantly on my card

Edited by allyfree

It was 15 m/s wind in Geiranger today the port agency told the local newspaper and they decided together with the pilot and captain to remove the seawalk because of safety reason.The ship left early. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Galaxy said:

It was 15 m/s wind in Geiranger today the port agency told the local newspaper and they decided together with the pilot and captain to remove the seawalk because of safety reason.The ship left early. 

That isn’t what we were told on board. We were told the motor to the sea walk broke and they couldn’t get it to work right in the wind. They then said the wind made tendering not possible and we couldn’t wait for sea walk to be fixed because wind was affecting the ship moorings making it unsafe. But the initial issue was with the sea walk not working.

According to marinetraffic.com Anthem did spend over 4 hours there, waiting, trying, waiting, whatever.

Times in UTC:

Around 8:16 UTC it does the 360 turn at the falls the around 8:34 UTC it is nearing Geiranger.

image.thumb.jpeg.a8a17edbab9550a715a8949625a5eeec.jpeg

At 12:49 UTC it begins the voyage back down the fjord.

image.thumb.jpeg.4b305d99e81eb40706db3a0fe287e059.jpeg

So it's not like they were trying to ditch the port.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mexylopez said:

Im on the Rotterdam now and we didn’t have any problem with tendering yesterday in Geiranger, that’s too bad as the place was amazing 😕

Be happy. It would not have been that nice with 5000 people more!