On board Emerald princess now second post

lion1956

On my earlier post I happened to mention that there were a lot of mobility impaired and obese people on the cruise it was not said in a mean way but a factual and informative way

But unfortunately some people still got their panties in a bunch

When we arrived in San Francisco we went to Pier 39 and Fisherman's wharf very commercial but if it's a nice day it's good for walking around lots of shops and restaurants later in the day we went to Chinatown and did a independent walk tour really enjoyed it had dim sum in one of the restaurants

The big disappointment was Sausalito a lot of the shops we're not open and only open on certain days of the week. The taxi ride to Sausalito was $45 each way so a waste of $90

Today we arrived in San Diego and we ended up taking a princess operated harbor cruise it was very enjoyable there were at least 15 warships in the harbor.  Later in the day we took a taxi to Balboa park is a beautiful park and well worth a visit lots of museums and gardens highly recommend it.

On board the princess Emerald the staff has been fantastic but the entertainment has been very poor last night we went to see a comedy show and after 10 minutes we had to walk out as did a lot of other people.

The crown grill and sabatini's have been good for dinner the crown grill especially if you're inclined to book a specialty restaurant.

Tomorrow we talk and Ensenada and I'll post more about that port later on

• Like 2

I would not walk around some parts of Ensenada.  
On the other hand, highly recommend the Princess excursion to the Guadalupe valley.   We have done it several times and enjoyed visiting the wineries with tastings and light snacks.   Very enjoyable.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

I would not walk around some parts of Ensenada.  
On the other hand, highly recommend the Princess excursion to the Guadalupe valley.   We have done it several times and enjoyed visiting the wineries with tastings and light snacks.   Very enjoyable.

Even better is to hire a local private wine tour guide. We have done this several times and gone to small local wineries meeting with the. Winemakers 

21 minutes ago, lion1956 said:

I don't see a tour for Guadalupe can you take a quick look for me on the Ensenada tours tell me which one you're talking about

This is the one we have taken several times.

IMG_1474.png

3 minutes ago, memoak said:

Even better is to hire a local private wine tour guide. We have done this several times and gone to small local wineries meeting with the. Winemakers 

I feel more comfortable doing a sponsored tour that takes you from point A to B.  We have done several weekend trips from San Diego to Guadalupe.  Starting to rethink this getaway in the future.  This past weekend there was a cartel shooting on the outskirts of Ensenada.   An off road race stopped at a gas station where they were caught in a cartel hit.  10 individuals lost their lives with many injured.  

• Like 1

On another subject, several of the local tV stations used a camera showing Emerald pulling into port today and all

commented on the hull of the ship.  I walked down to see the ship today and agree with a touch up is needed.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

On another subject, several of the local tV stations used a camera showing Emerald pulling into port today and all

commented on the hull of the ship.  I walked down to see the ship today and agree with a touch up is needed.  

I saw that too. Should be renamed the Rust Bucket Princess. 

Anyone know what the crane ship that was pulled up to the Emerald was for?

Edited by TYCruise

Last week, we walked around the central tourist area of Ensenada without any feelings of insecurity.  I both walked it and took the shuttle.

we had no interest in the vineyards or the “Buffadora“.  

@lion1956 i live here but haven't been to Sausalito in decades! As to Ensenada  -- I don't get off there. Nothing to see JMHO 

Ok. I've been dying to ask: I'm looking at the MedallionClass app and I can't find where or if Alfredos (aka Gigis) is on the Emerald Princess. If not there, where can I get a good slice? Prefer my crust well done

4 minutes ago, Ombud said:

@lion1956 i live here but haven't been to Sausalito in decades! As to Ensenada  -- I don't get off there. Nothing to see JMHO 

Ok. I've been dying to ask: I'm looking at the MedallionClass app and I can't find where or if Alfredos (aka Gigis) is on the Emerald Princess. If not there, where can I get a good slice? Prefer my crust well done

There is no sit down pizza place on the Emerald. Just pizza by the slice up by the pool

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

There is no sit down pizza place on the Emerald. Just pizza by the slice up by the pool

Yeah .... that did not have a good crust the times I had it. I'll have it night before boarding 

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Yeah .... that did not have a good crust the times I had it. I'll have it night before boarding 

The Emerald:  No Alfredo’s and no good pizza.  Disclosure:   I’ve never tried the room service pizza, only the slices from Slices.  ( I’ve never tried room service on board. Pizza or anything else.)

7 hours ago, memoak said:

Don’t forget that you can order a whole pizza using the app and have it delivered to any venue or location onboard. The pizza bar up on Lido cooks them and room services brings them to you. Ours were excellent on the Emerald in April. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gottagocit said:

Don’t forget that you can order a whole pizza using the app and have it delivered to any venue or location onboard. The pizza bar up on Lido cooks them and room services brings them to you. Ours were excellent on the Emerald in April. 

Mine in March on 

he Emerald was inedible 

• Like 1

Re: lion1956 quote on Sausalito:

we’ll be on this same cruise in a few weeks with an overnight in SF. We had tentatively planned to visit Sausalito but questioning this after reading your comments. Anyone else think it might be worth a visit? Planning on using the ferry. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JoRoy218 said:

Re: lion1956 quote on Sausalito:

we’ll be on this same cruise in a few weeks with an overnight in SF. We had tentatively planned to visit Sausalito but questioning this after reading your comments. Anyone else think it might be worth a visit? Planning on using the ferry. 

When visiting SF, my friend and I take the first ferry over to Sausalito.  We wander thru the shops and have lunch at Scomas and maybe an ice cream later.  Love the ferry ride, you can sit inside or out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, marden1970 said:

When visiting SF, my friend and I take the first ferry over to Sausalito.  We wander thru the shops and have lunch at Scomas and maybe an ice cream later.  Love the ferry ride, you can sit inside or out.

Thanks! That was exactly our plan. Will make lunch reservations for Scomas and wander around. Love the idea of ferry ride in SF Bay! 

• Like 1