Royal and Crown differences?

SuzieQ521

Hello:

We just returned from an Alaskan sailing on the Royal and will be doing a Thanksgiving cruise on the Crown out of SF.

Besides the Crown being a bit older, I was wondering as to the differences between the two ships.

I don't think Crown has Alfredos (which is unfortunate) but I believe they still have the 24 hour International Cafe?

I think the Crown has Skywalkers Lounge which is great since Royal did not (we previously loved Skywalkers on Ruby).

Crown also does not have the deluxe balcony rooms like we had on the Royal.

I also don't think the Crown has the Enclave at the Lotus spa?

Any other stark differences?

Thanks!

Edited by SuzieQ521

3 hours ago, SuzieQ521 said:

I don't think Crown has Alfredos (which is unfortunate) but I believe they still have the 24 hour International Cafe?

Yes, no Alfredo's, but yes, there still is the International Cafe.

I think the Crown has Skywalkers Lounge which is great since Royal did not (we previously loved Skywalkers on Ruby).

Yes, the Skywalkers will be the exact same as the one you experienced on Ruby.

Crown also does not have the deluxe balcony rooms like we had on the Royal.

Correct, the deluxe type of category is something that's on Royal-class. The Premium balconies (larger balcony deck on most deck 10 cabins and most aft cabins) are the only differentiation between the balconies onboard Grand-class.

I also don't think the Crown has the Enclave at the Lotus spa?

Yes, I'm pretty sure the Enclave is just a Royal-class feature right now.

(My responses above are in italics)

Any other stark differences?

Well, to start off with, the Royal is simply a larger vessel so things will seem smaller on the Crown (like the Piazza and the buffet -- all of which you'll experience quite a size reduction). But since you've already been on the Ruby, you should actually be comparing your time onboard Ruby to what you've researched about Crown for a more analogous comparison. Differences between these two vessels are basically that:

- I believe Crown does not have the Good Spirits bar

- And the shore excursions and Captain's Circle desks swap spots between the Ruby and Crown

And that's basically about it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Shippy said:

The Crowns public areas are definitely colder.

We are in a penthouse. There is no coffee maker in the cabin and the bathroom is a bit smaller.

there is no suite lounge.

No have sailed both ships and neither has a coffee make in the cabin and yes I have sailed penthouse suites on the Royal

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, memoak said:

No have sailed both ships and neither has a coffee make in the cabin and yes I have sailed penthouse suites on the Royal

We were on the Royal in January and had a expresso coffee machine in our penthouse.

• Like 2

Crown has bigger balconies.  It has an aft theater/Club Fusion, Explorer’s Lounge, Adagio, Wheelhouse, Skywalkers, and Library.

Buffet is one of the smaller ones with no separate dessert counter.  

it does have Good Spirits at Sea and Vines.

AND a full Promenade Deck with access to bow and stern.  

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1

Refer to the deck plans. You can see all the differences. If you were on the Ruby then you know the design on the Crown. They are sister ships with a totally different design than Royal Class ships.  Yes, there is an International Cafe. There is a full promenade on decks 7 and 8 where you can actually walk to the bow. There are many more viewing areas on the upper decks. The Royal's has a poorly designed Princess Live, a somewhat poorly designed Club 6, an uncomfortable Vista Lounge and Crooners. The Crown has more lounges including Club Fusion used for activities such as bingo, dancing, karaoke, things like that. It also has the very popular Explorer's Lounge and Wheelhouse Bar with nightly entertainment. On deck 16 aft is the Adagio Lounge, a really nice quiet location. There is also Skywalker's Nightclub with great views. The outside cabins on the Crown are wedding caked. Decks 11 to 15 are all 9ft x 5ft covered balconies. Deck 10 has 9ft x 9ft balconies that are not covered. Deck 9 has almost all of the mini suites with 9ft x 6 ft uncovered balconies. The Royal has Hobbit sized balconies. The Crown has usable sized balconies. On deck 14 aft is the Terrace Pool, a very popular location in warm climates. No Alfredo's nor Gelato on the Crown. Not certain but the International Cafe may have gelato. The Piazza area on the Royal is larger and used for many of the activities as well as dancing. The Piazza on the Crown is smaller, but isn't needed for dancing and other activities as there is plenty of space in the lounges. No Enclave, but there is a thermal suite. The Royal has two pool areas, Crown has 4. Most important the Crown has 500 fewer passengers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

These are the last 2 ships I've sailed on.  Would go back on the Crown over the Royal any day.  In my opinion the crown is better for a few key reasons: 

• has more "higher deck", climate controlled observation areas that are quiet during the day
  • the terrace pool and tiered decks off the aft are a nice quiet area
  • MUTS is only at 1 main pool area and with better seating layout - the other main pool area is refreshingly quiet most of the day.
  • better promenade and more external viewing areas
  • Explorers lounge is better than Princess Live
  • More hottubs per passenger

Only downsides to Crown:

• More cramped buffet, but second "Cafe Caribe" buffet helps
  • walking track/jogging track - although the track on top of Skywalkers has amazing views, even if it is really short.
  • that's it - I actually thought the crown was in better shape than the Royal, and that was right before her drydock last fall

Edited by cruisingrob21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. I sailed the Ruby 6 years ago and the Royal just last week so the Royal is more fresh in my mind.

Regarding the "second" buffet, Caribe--is that only open for breakfast as a spillover area, or is it also open for lunch and dinner?

If no gelato place, then I assume nowhere to get the specialty dessert milkshakes? (my son loved those!).

I assume the discovery kids club is pretty much the same across all Princess ships? (maybe with different activities depending on itineary...my son loved the Royal's kids club!), so the Crown's should be similar?

Thanks

Royal class ships have more food offerings, but the Crown and its sister ships have more character and classic ship feel. Both have their place; it really comes down to individual preference. You are correct that you will have Skywalkers night club, which we’ve always really liked and miss when we are on Royal class ships. the gelato bar exists on the Crown but is smaller. You are correct that Alfredos is not on the Crown. There is a great aft pool on the Crown that the Royal class ships do not have. Sabatini‘s is way up high and facing aft on the Crown, which is cool.  the promenade deck is more traditional on the Crown. The Buffet is definitely smaller on the Crown, but we have always been able to find plenty of food that we like on that class of ship. 
have fun, exploring another class of ship!

• Like 1

On 5/31/2023 at 1:35 PM, SuzieQ521 said:

Regarding the "second" buffet, Caribe--is that only open for breakfast as a spillover area, or is it also open for lunch and dinner?

If no gelato place, then I assume nowhere to get the specialty dessert milkshakes? (my son loved those!).

I assume the discovery kids club is pretty much the same across all Princess ships? (maybe with different activities depending on itineary...my son loved the Royal's kids club!), so the Crown's should be similar?

Thanks

The second buffet is usually opened for the "theme" part of the meal (german, asian, etc) and typically only at lunch and dinner.  But I have seen it have continental breakfast type food occasionally.  It is a nice second seating area.

I'm not sure about Gelato - probably the ice cream area on Lido deck.

Kids club is similar - venues are obviously different based on the ship, but generally follow the same program and have the same amenities.

The Crown will have fixed shower heads and the Royal will have the hand held shower heads. I have a big problem with the fixed shower head and have requested a hand held shower head.  Some times the requests are honored and some times they are not (no availability).  Hope mine is recognized when we board.  If not, I will check with my room steward.

Edited by Italy52

18 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

The Crown will have fixed shower heads and the Royal will have the hand held shower heads. I have a big problem with the fixed shower head and have requested a hand held shower head.  Some times the requests are honored and some times they are not (no availability).  Hope mine is recognized when we board.  If not, I will check with my room steward.

I had requested a hand held shower head on the Medallion app pre-cruise (Emerald Princess).  None when I boarded.  Quickly went to Crew Chat.  The shower head was changed out before dinner.  Sure hope you get the same service on the Crown.  

Edited by cr8tiv1

2 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I had requested a hand held shower head on the Medallion app pre-cruise (Emerald Princess).  None when I boarded.  Quickly went to Crew Chat.  The shower head was changed out before dinner.  Sure hope you get the same service on the Crown.  

Thank you for your reply.  I had my TA pre-order the shower head when we made our reservation 7/3/22.  It appears on my Travel Summary under "Special Services." But of course, my request will only be good if someone passes that information along to my room steward.  Because my request is more for medical reasons, I will definitely be doing whatever it takes to get it done. 

1 hour ago, Italy52 said:

Thank you for your reply.  I had my TA pre-order the shower head when we made our reservation 7/3/22.  It appears on my Travel Summary under "Special Services." But of course, my request will only be good if someone passes that information along to my room steward.  Because my request is more for medical reasons, I will definitely be doing whatever it takes to get it done. 

Did you also order a shower stool?  The shower is very small.  With the shower head, it is manageable.  Just be really careful.  

35 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Did you also order a shower stool?  The shower is very small.  With the shower head, it is manageable.  Just be really careful.  

No, I did not order a shower stool as I don't need that.  Thanks.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 2:06 PM, Italy52 said:

Thank you for the information; we will have a disabled family member and 3 elderly ones that would need a handheld shower head.

The Royal also had a grab bar in the shower...do you know if the Crown does? (ocean view room).

Thanks 

27 minutes ago, SuzieQ521 said:

Thank you for the information; we will have a disabled family member and 3 elderly ones that would need a handheld shower head.

The Royal also had a grab bar in the shower...do you know if the Crown does? (ocean view room).

Thanks 

Sorry, I don't know if the Crown has a grab bar as this will be my first time on her.  Perhaps someone else can answer the question --- Coral perhaps?

On 5/31/2023 at 6:54 AM, skynight said:Decks 11 to 15 are all 9ft x 5ft covered balconies. Deck 10 has 9ft x 9ft balconies that are not covered. Deck 9 has almost all of the mini suites with 9ft x 6 ft uncovered balconies. The Royal has Hobbit sized balconies. 

I have not been on the Crown yet (roll on the 2025 WC), but if the Crown is like other Grand class ships, the balconies on deck 10 (Caribe) will be semi covered. The first 4 feet or so of the balcony is covered by the Baja deck and the last 5 feet of the expansive deck are exposed.

I was on the Star back in 2013 and that semi covered balcony came in handy when we had our ultimate balcony dinner when docked in Honolulu. During the meal it began to rain, along with a spectacular thunderstorm, so we simply pulled the table and chairs under the overhang from Baja deck and enjoyed natures fireworks whilst enjoying the rest of our food and drinkies. 

and yes, even a hobbit will feel claustrophobic on the majority of the balconies on the Royal. Even in an S6 suite!