Odd things we sometimes like to bring with us on a cruise

larrybritt

On 6/1/2023 at 3:49 PM, Nicole&Pete said:

Does anyone take a stapler with them for luggage tags?

To avoid having to bring or borrow a stapler we bought special luggage tag holders made for cruise ship tags. Can't remember where we bought them but here is a photo from Amazon

image.png.d20d7da662c188f57892015dd30f4da4.png

• Like 3

Thanks to everyone posting on this thread - great suggestions!  Here are a few I'll add to the list:

- EarPlanes: If you get a stuffed up head or are sensitive to air pressure changes and have to fly, these are a must have. They are small plastic ear plugs you use during take off and descent to equalize the pressure in your head. I never fly without a pair and while I have rarely had to use them, when I did need them they worked very well. www.earplanes.com 

- Betadine: During COVID I discovered this nasal spray and use it whenever I'm going to be with a lot of people. One spray in each nostril apparently helps block the entry of viruses through the nose (a main but not the only point of entry so it doesn't cover everything). Since using it we've travelled a fair amount and been in many very crowded indoor spaces and haven't had a single sniffle (so the EarPlanes aren't getting used).

- Plastic trays: My green grocer sells mini cucumbers on plastic trays that are about 4X6" and about 0.5" deep. I wash and save them and use them to hold cosmetics, bed-side items, and other small things when I travel and then toss them before heading home. This way stuff can't roll around on a counter (good for rough seas) and it is easy for the room steward to wipe counters without having to move/touch every item. Shallow plastic trays from a dollar store would work well (but I like repurposing these plastic ones).

- Tide Pens: These are great for removing stains on clothing (especially food stains). One is in my handbag at all times.

- Kleenex: Not needed on the ship, but when staying in hotels before or after a cruise in Europe I've found that many places have very rough tissues (I have yet to buy a box of tissues in Italy that aren't really rough). Guess I just have a sensitive nose, but I like to have my own supply with me.

- Ben's Insect repellent wipes: Easy to carry with me and to have a couple in my pocket or handbag when on excursions to rural settings. No need to carry a large bottle that might leak as each wipe is in its own package.https://bens30.com/bens-30-wipes.html   

Other than that all the other special things have been noted in this thread. Nice to see we aren't the only ones travelling with a little of a lot of stuff. But we haven't taken any dental items and so will be adding this one - thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 6

On 6/1/2023 at 3:46 PM, SargassoPirate said:

We/I have carried wipes for years.  We used to get some sidelong glances when we'd get on a plane and wipe down the armrests, seatbelt buckles, and tray tables.  In hotels/ships we would wipe down the light switches, the remote, and door handles.

Since 2020 we are mainstream.

But, we don't get sick and haven't for years.

Yep, same with us! We were bringing travel disinfectant wipes on airlines, cruise lines and hotel rooms before covid too. We don’t get funny looks anymore, post 2020. I could really care less if we do - working in hospitals and clinics has taught me about infection prevention!    

Like others, we bring wipes, ziplocks and our own thermoses we can use for coffee or water!  Love the other ideas for blue painters tape and WD40! 😀

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Carnevale said:

Thanks to everyone posting on this thread - great suggestions!  Here are a few I'll add to the list:

- EarPlanes: If you get a stuffed up head or are sensitive to air pressure changes and have to fly, these are a must have. They are small plastic ear plugs you use during take off and descent to equalize the pressure in your head. I never fly without a pair and while I have rarely had to use them, when I did need them they worked very well. www.earplanes.com 

EarPlanes!! Brings back memories. When I was a child (many moons ago) the few neighbors fortunate and wealthy enough to fly would come back with cotton stuck in their ears. They would explain it was to prevent ear pain while flying, and wear it like a badge for several days after arrival home.

Edited by FourthQ
  • Like 1

I have a sound machine that is amazing and takes the place of a fan, but not anywhere as big. Our cruise two weeks ago, we were over Club Fusion and never even heard drum beats. I also travel with my own latex pillow, but it is highly compressible and our Away luggage has a compression side to it, so pretty much no matter what is in that side, I can compress it to take my pillow.

• Like 1

I also bring magnets with hooks, some real strong as I hung Christmas Decrations/lights on my door. And magnets with clips. 

If I have a balcony I have a small thermometer with a suction cup that attaches to the outside of the sliding door, AcuRite 00799HDSBA1 00799 Digital Outdoor Window Thermometer, White. One caution is to remove it if your doing a B2B cruise as they my be hosting the outside area & it could come off. 

Tom😀

IMG_3065.jpeg

• Like 7

8 hours ago, CHK said:

To avoid having to bring or borrow a stapler we bought special luggage tag holders made for cruise ship tags. Can't remember where we bought them but here is a photo from Amazon

image.png.d20d7da662c188f57892015dd30f4da4.png

A must for me. I leave mine attached to my bags. 

Tom😀

Best ever door to door school sale item. 

IMG_2728.thumb.jpeg.a86e77e2e02aa495f2e6db381ac12a70.jpeg

Comes with a slide cutter like a box of Saran Wrap (but more heavy duty). I don’t bring the whole box, but cut off a piece that might be a foot long. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2023 at 11:33 AM, Nicole&Pete said:

Ah ok great I'll take stickers thanks

Be sure your stickers are easily removable.  Some leave paper/glue behind.  Best to use blue tape.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

I have a sound machine that is amazing and takes the place of a fan, but not anywhere as big. Our cruise two weeks ago, we were over Club Fusion and never even heard drum beats. I also travel with my own latex pillow, but it is highly compressible and our Away luggage has a compression side to it, so pretty much no matter what is in that side, I can compress it to take my pillow.

We are now researching to try to find a decent noise ma home that makes a fan noise as well. Never tried one but think for an Alaska trip from east coast tough to bring our own fan.

I downloaded a free app called White Noise Lite.  It has a ton of sounds to chose from, including about six different colour noises as well.  I tried out Gray Noise the other night and it worked well throughout the night with the alarm timer set to keep it in the foreground.

7 minutes ago, larrybritt said:

We are now researching to try to find a decent noise ma home that makes a fan noise as well. Never tried one but think for an Alaska trip from east coast tough to bring our own fan.

There is a Box Fan on the app I posted about... the apps might not work as well as the actual real item, but they're worth a listen to see :)

On 6/2/2023 at 9:36 AM, Essex_uk said:

What - nobodys mentioned the kitchen sink!!!!🤣

Well, when I cruise on a line without guest laundromats, I pack a lightweight collapsible plastic bucket for in-cabin laundry needs.

It's better than trying to use the sink or the cabin trash can.

Is that close to the kitchen sink?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

46 minutes ago, larrybritt said:

If you want something other than a phone app, I recommend a Snooz.  It's a small round white noise machine that can connect to your phone so you can control it from bed if you choose.  We have 2 of them and love them.  One is set up near our dog's kennel to help soothe him when we are gone and another is in our travel bags.  It has helped out when hotels are noisy.  It has several settings that help you find the perfect sound to cover up any extra noise.  

https://getsnooz.com 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, larrybritt said:

I've tried phone apps and I can hear the loops and it bothers me. I finally found what I think is the best ever! 'Lectro Fan has all unique, digitally synthesized and non-looping noise. Be sure if you get one not on their website that it includes the warranty as most sites don't. Obviously takes up some room in a suitcase as opposed to your phone, but I think it's so much better and doesn't run down your phone (apps make my phone hot too).

Edited by Mary Ann 2
  • Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 4:56 AM, SargassoPirate said:

I agree, it is odd, but I don't have to sit on the bed or use the desk chair to watch TV and it folds right up and stores easily when not in use.  At Port Everglades I picked one up at Publix.  I usually spend a night or two in the departure city before the cruise, so it's easy to find one.

So far the room stewards always seem appreciative when I tell them I'll be leaving the chair for the crew to use.

I would love to know what the crew really thinks.  What did you expect the crew members to say when you offered the chair to them.

DON

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I would love to know what the crew really thinks.  What did you expect the crew members to say when you offered the chair to them.

DON

Yeah, I'd like to know what they really think as well, but they do seem appreciative.  

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

DON

Maybe they'll sell it on Ebay. 

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, trbarton said:

I also bring magnets with hooks, some real strong as I hung Christmas Decrations/lights on my door. And magnets with clips. 

If I have a balcony I have a small thermometer with a suction cup that attaches to the outside of the sliding door, AcuRite 00799HDSBA1 00799 Digital Outdoor Window Thermometer, White. One caution is to remove it if your doing a B2B cruise as they my be hosting the outside area & it could come off. 

Tom😀

IMG_3065.jpeg

There is a problem with this.  You want to measure the inside temperature but you have the thermometer stuck to a piece of glass that is picking up heat or cool from the inside of the cabin.  How accurate is it going to be.  And before anyone say that you can hang a thermometer from something on your balcony if you have a balcony cabin - that also will not work because of the chilling effect of air movement or heat from sunlight if you are on the sunny side of the ship.    Measuring outside temperature is trickier than you think.  You might read this - https://weatherworksinc.com/news/temperature-measurement

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 1