Considering O - from a HAL Guy

friendswithdave

not aware - and happy to be wrong -- but I've sailed HAL at least 6 times when stops were cancelled, by weather, usually, and have always had fees returned to my account.  Never on O. and on our most recent 32 day where 3 stops were cancelled, they were all tender stops and cancelled well in advance because of impending cyclone.   If you can tell me that you have ever had port fees returned to you by O, I'll happily stand corrected.

Regarding the port fees/government taxes…I would think the cruise lines would consider the weather “an act of God” whereas a mechanical issue with the ship would be on the line to refund.  The fine print in contracts pretty much tell you the cruise line can cancel and change anything they want when they want and refunds are at their discretion.

10 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I am also seeing the 4 cat upgrade sale

The UK version of the website currently offers the 4 category upgrade (on 83 cruises, available till 30/6) and Extraordinary Savings (on 51 cruises, available for a "limited time")

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sebbiesgrammy said:

not aware - and happy to be wrong -- but I've sailed HAL at least 6 times when stops were cancelled, by weather, usually, and have always had fees returned to my account.  Never on O. and on our most recent 32 day where 3 stops were cancelled, they were all tender stops and cancelled well in advance because of impending cyclone.   If you can tell me that you have ever had port fees returned to you by O, I'll happily stand corrected.

Once on another  line  we had  the port fees  returned to our OB account  it  was $14  PP   hardly worth the  bother  IMO

Oceania  does not return the port fees... only if you cancel after final payment

6 hours ago, Sebbiesgrammy said:

No need to get them back from O. Our cruise insurance choices usually include “missed port” coverage (amount varies from company to company). I just get a letter from Guest Services citing the situation and and submit a claim.

BTW: the TA version of an O invoice includes a line item for “gov’t fees and taxes.”

6 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

No need to get them back from O. Our cruise insurance choices usually include “missed port” coverage (amount varies from company to company). I just get a letter from Guest Services citing the situation and and submit a claim.

BTW: the TA version of an O invoice includes a line item for “gov’t fees and taxes.”

Are you allowed to name your insurance company?

3 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

Are you allowed to name your insurance company?

I use a broker that many folks here use: InsureMyTrip.com. I suggest that you contact them because picking the right insurance for your circumstances can be complicated. The licensed agent with whom you speak can help you get to a short list of possibles that address your needs and desires. 

• Like 1

We think Oceania has better food than HAL (and Celebrity) overall, but we love the buffets on HAL's Pinnacle-class ships. And the burgers on HAL are good and the fries are way better than Oceania's. Unfortunately, there's not much else we care for on HAL other than the buffet (and the Crow's Nest, I guess) so we don't cruise that line often. 

• Like 1

Another convert from Celebrity.  After 3 wonderful Celebrity cruises (pre-Covid), we tried Oceania (Riviera - in the Mediterranean) in June 2022.  Decided this felt like home!  We did go on a HAL December cruise (San Diego - MX Riviera) because a  bunch of friends were doing it, and a couple of them picked HAL.  While it was also fun, we constantly compared to Oceania, especially the food. The specialties were very good, but the MDR just was not.  Give O a try, you will love it! 🙂

Thanks for all the feedback. I have little doubt O will be the better product. The question is - is it the better value. Comparing similar rooms and itineraries in the same month, O will be around $2100 where HAL will be around $700. It's hard for us to justify that difference given our current budget circumstances.

5 minutes ago, friendswithdave said:

Thanks for all the feedback. I have little doubt O will be the better product. The question is - is it the better value. Comparing similar rooms and itineraries in the same month, O will be around $2100 where HAL will be around $700. It's hard for us to justify that difference given our current budget circumstances.

That is a big  difference  in price

Are you taking the Oceania air ?

Any of the O life  perks?

Does the HAL price include port fees/taxes in your  math?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

That is a big  difference  in price

Are you taking the Oceania air ?

Any of the O life  perks?

Does the HAL price include port fees/taxes in your  math?

I did my best to include apples to apples. I added port taxes to the HAL fare but not the O fare. No O life, O fares, or O anything (at least I think.) Assumed cheapest balcony on O, best balcony on HAL using a Club Orange upgrade and including that in the price. Newest ship on both lines.

I should add I am assuming a lower rate than is currently available on HAL because we have booked the same week and the same itinerary every year for quite a few years. I know from experience the HAL fare will drop significantly between now and then. If the O fare drops similarly, then it may be more of a fair fare comparison. I will keep watch to be sure. I tend to book ~3 months out when fares tend to drop to their lowest point on cruises in low demand. Therefore my booking time is Sept for the Dec cruises I am watching.

When I do reach out to my travel agent I will probably ask for a quote on both. That will be a true apples to apples comparison. We can then make the final decision and book.

1 hour ago, friendswithdave said:

I did my best to include apples to apples. I added port taxes to the HAL fare but not the O fare. No O life, O fares, or O anything (at least I think.) Assumed cheapest balcony on O, best balcony on HAL using a Club Orange upgrade and including that in the price. Newest ship on both lines.

I should add I am assuming a lower rate than is currently available on HAL because we have booked the same week and the same itinerary every year for quite a few years. I know from experience the HAL fare will drop significantly between now and then. If the O fare drops similarly, then it may be more of a fair fare comparison. I will keep watch to be sure. I tend to book ~3 months out when fares tend to drop to their lowest point on cruises in low demand. Therefore my booking time is Sept for the Dec cruises I am watching.

When I do reach out to my travel agent I will probably ask for a quote on both. That will be a true apples to apples comparison. We can then make the final decision and book.

I have not seen Oceania rates drop close to sailings. Has anyone else? I liked the one cruiseI took  but price is high. Looking at a Feb 4  12 day cruise to Caribbean . Need price lower to book tbat. Is there a chance it could drop? Seems lime a better chance in Caribbean, no?

3 hours ago, friendswithdave said:

Although several things are included in Oceania, such as free wi-fi, specialty dining, and often some drinks package, that might not compensate for the price difference. Still, we decided to go with O. 

3 hours ago, friendswithdave said:

Thanks  for the reply

Well if the HAL fare includes  taxes/fees  then I would  go with them if budget is  a concern

O fares  are the bottom line with taxes/fees included

Not sure O will have anything cheaper than those rates  but never hurts to keep your eyes open for the deals

Enjoy whatever cruise you choose

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

I have not seen Oceania rates drop close to sailings. Has anyone else? I liked the one cruiseI took  but price is high. Looking at a Feb 4  12 day cruise to Caribbean . Need price lower to book tbat. Is there a chance it could drop? Seems lime a better chance in Caribbean, no?

I am just guessing  but seems after the pandemic  people want to cruise & willing to pay the rates

There may be some price drops  but who knows  when or how much

Happy sailing

• Like 2

4 hours ago, oskidunker said:

The price of the lower price cabins do not typically drop (the exception being the current Extraordinary Sale), but the other cabins (non-suites and maybe P) are sometimes included in the upgrade sale for underselling itineraries. Discounts can be small ($100) to large ($1000 for A->P).

• Like 1

I have been on 10 HAL cruises since 2015 and one Regent.  Early on one each on Norwegian and Royal Caribbean (never again - way too big.)  The friend who convinced me to go on Holland America has been working on me to go on Oceania so we are booked for a Canada/New England cruise this fall.  It is on the Vista and I'm so excited.  Since re-opening after the Pandemic I've been seriously disappointed in the food in the MDR and the Lido.  If you're on a Pinnacle class ship you have nice options for specialty restaurants.  Since I travel solo I pay double on HAL so I will likely continue to cruise on HAL with one friend to places like the Caribbean because I get a cabana so that makes it bearable.  I do have a few other HAL cruises like the "Legendary 28-day Alaska" next year and likely on an Antarctica cruise.  There is a lot about HAL to love - the itineraries and the staff - but not so much the food or the large ships.  I thought getting rid of the smaller ships was a mistake.  But that's just me - thus I suspect that I too will have a hard time going back after my Vista Concierge cabin.  My travel agent assures me that Oceania is 'good value.'

Edited by TableGirl
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, TableGirl said:

suspect that I too will have a hard time going back after my Vista Concierge cabin.  My travel agent assures me that Oceania is 'good value.'

Are you in one of the new Solo cabins on O?

On 6/1/2023 at 10:44 PM, friendswithdave said:

Great answers, thank you! Spa prices / benefits make sense. Cooking class charge is surprising considering how much else is already included. I will assume it is a high quality demo.

I have taken quite a few of the cooking classes.  There is a demonstration kitchen - each participant has his/her own work station.  On the older ships with the Culinary Centre (Riviera and Marina) the cooker is shared and you work as a team with the person next to you.  On Vista the station is your own.   Room for 24 people on Vista and there is a dining room to eat what you cooked afterwards.

Quality of the class depends on the instructor.  They are all pretty good but being humans, vary in approach etc.   I can highly recommend them.

For dining - if you don't have a butler then just go to the restaurant you want to eat in (for a second time, first you will have booked already) and ask at the podium when they can take you...usually this works.  Most people get to dine in a place more than once (if they want to).  The only restaurant I find below par is Toscana.  I do not like the portion size there nor the fact that it is basically Italian/American cuisine.  That is a matter of taste but living 45mns from the Italian border I suppose I am spoilt.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Are you in one of the new Solo cabins on O?

No but the friend I am traveling with is.  There was only 1 left when we booked.  I’m not fond of sleeping in a twin bed.  However, the solo cabin is a concierge level room.  It looks to be 21 sq feet smaller than mine so I will be very interested to see it.  She paid about $2,000 less than I did.  But then I get to make restaurant reservations sooner.

2 hours ago, TableGirl said:

No but the friend I am traveling with is.  There was only 1 left when we booked.  I’m not fond of sleeping in a twin bed.  However, the solo cabin is a concierge level room.  It looks to be 21 sq feet smaller than mine so I will be very interested to see it.  She paid about $2,000 less than I did.  But then I get to make restaurant reservations sooner.

We debated (still talking about it) whether to book a Concierge level instead of a basic verandah.  But, in the final analysis, it did not seem to make a lot of sense to pay another $1000 for a few small benefits (such as being able to book restaurant reservations a couple of weeks earlier).  And, of course, now we have to wait and see what the new "all in" means in terms of benefits/cost.  We  booked with the O Life Beverage Package (we have no use for cruise line excursions in Europe) as a "holding action" which we can change depending on FDR's new options.

Hank

• Like 1

We have been on a LOT of Royal Caribbean cruises. They seem to be the line of choice to reward sales people. We have also cruised on Regent. This will be our first time on Oceania. As far as price: we booked an Oceania Suite (1000 sq ft). The same length cruise with a similar itinerary on RCCL in an Owner's Suite (500 sq ft) is only $1,000 less. CRAZY 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 2:45 AM, oskidunker said:

From what I have seen the cruises fill up...  I am not sure about the Caribbean but I know the room categories we would consider on any Oceania ship fill quickly.   We are perhaps a bit too choosy.