The Eclipse is In Sad shape

Alex618

6 hours ago, Alex618 said:

I also thought many abused.  Ordering liquor with breakfast and not a Mimosa and more than one. Just my opinion!  

I have never been able to order more than one drink at a time with a drink package.  I have ordered more than one at a time when paying a la carte without an issue.  I don't follow how the time of day matters.  It's not abuse as long as the drinks qualify under the terms of the drink package and they are generally drinking the drinks they order.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TeachAloha said:

As a counterpoint to calm the nerves of anyone sailing on Eclipse soon, I was on the same sailing in the same common areas and did not see this. In fact, there were crews everywhere cleaning and on the sunset deck they were touching up paint all week. This is not my first travel rodeo & I worked in high-end hospitality so I would not let those types of things go unnoticed. 

I was on the Eclipse sailing that ended May 21 and I did see some furniture that was well worn and no longer all that comfortable in some of the public areas but I really didn't notice any other issues.  And our interior stateroom was actually in excellent condition (I can't speak to whether we had sheer curtains as that is a bit irrelevant in an interior).  That's not to say if I looked harder, I wouldn't find more issues but I definitely wouldn't call the ship sad.  I've been on cruise ships in far worse shape.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Alex618 said:

Our sofa had a hole plus had dirty area that would not come off, balcony furnishing paint was all chipping off,  hole in carpet, large tears in shear drapes, and hole in dust ruffle.  Dining room furnishing are pealing.  Deck 5 chairs near coffee area and sushi arms dirty.  One lady tools me she had no shear drapes at all.  I don’t think this is Luxury. 

Whatever made you think Celebrity was luxury? You were in a concierge balcony cabin, no different that other balconies except you had a footstool. You also paid very reasonable prices for that cabin.. I know those prices, having sailed Eclipse to New Zealand in March and will be on her again in October….you might enjoy the newer Celebrity ships with a much different price point. Personally, I like the vibe of the ship; prefer the intimate areas with music and think the older furnishing add a warmth.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We were on Eclipse in January this year, nothing ‘sad’ about our cabin or the rest of the ship.

She isn’t in new condition, but we’d happily sail on her again without a second thought. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

I am wondering what has happened to Eclipse between December 2022 and now??

We did not notice anything dreadfully concerning - in fact the opposite - scrupulous attention to sanitising high touch areas such as hand rails on the stairs, also lifts, both outside and inside.

If there was a little peeling paint, or a hole in some fabric - would that have affected our cruise experience - no.

A large stain I agree could be somewhat off-putting, but some stains are extremely difficult to remove - especially if the person who caused the (presumed) spill did not let staff know at the time, therefore prolonging the time before it received initial attention and making it more difficult, or even impossible to remove.

Surely everyone is aware that all cruise lines are doing it at least a bit tough, having had no income for several years. The ships are cruising, the beds are comfortable, the linen is clean, food is enjoyable and people are enjoying their travel.

Cosmetic refurbishment will come soon enough!

My TA said she has had several clients who have reported the same situation.  She feels the short cruises that the Eclipse took a toll on her.  Like RC and Carnival out of Port Canaveral, especially Carnival, these are known, as the happy party ships and get a lot of wear and tear.  

This post was not started to discourage future passengers but to hopefully bring insight to Celebrity Management as to this Ships condition.  When you talk to the staff, they will readily admit this ship needs attention. Maybe you can say I am snob, but my residents does not look like this stateroom did when we boarded.  I do not have torn or abused furniture, dirty and ripped window covering.  No, we were not in a retreat room, a good price was paid for an aft concierge 1 Balcony.  We are by no means wealthy but we eat good quality food, not bragging, we do eat filet minion a couple of time a month at home, thus serving short ribs in a supposedly upscale restaurant is not acceptable.  

Again, I will state we enjoyed our cruise and the staff were all superb!  This was a 75 birthday gift for my husband and our second adventure to Alaska.  Our primary goal were excursions which were superb. Some Celebrity and some independent.  We enjoy cruising for destinations! 

We have been Elite Status for 10 years. In 2016 we redirected our attentions to the USA, a river cruise and a Pilgrimage to Israel with a side trip to Egypt, and then COVID!  We will not give up on Celebrity and have booked another trip. Management in days prior to COVID did monitor this site,  I am hopeful that all future passengers on the will have a great cabin and a great cruise!  

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, bayonnejoe said:

Never going to happen. Drink packages are here to stay 

Too bad........before they were introduced there was a diff demographic and vibe.. but we have adjusted

We're just getting ready to disembark Eclipse now - sitting in the outdoor part of Oceanview as I type. She is definitely showing some signs of wear but nothing egregious IMO. Our aft balcony had some peeling paint/rust etc and we didn't have sheer curtains, but the steward kept everything spotless. Public areas were also clean, though there was worn carpet and upholstery here and there. While she does need a refresh, I sincerely hope they don't "edgify" her the way they did Summit. IMO the classic S-class builds call for richer and warmer colors. All that cool modern grey looks awful on an older ship like Summit (and is already on its way out from an HGTV trend perspective). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Alex618 said:

You may be right but the price will continue to increase . The Bar and Beverage manager there were 2000 packages on board.  I also thought many abused.  Ordering liquor with breakfast and not a Mimosa and more than one. Just my opinion!  

They abused by having a drink? Good on them, get your moneys worth.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Alex618 said:

Yes, but a person with a sea pass card can order one drink after another.  So for breakfast this couple each with a drink package had number of drinks. 

What’s the issue here? 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, hcat said:

Too bad........before they were introduced there was a diff demographic and vibe.. but we have adjusted

Which lines don’t offer drink packages?  Virgin maybe, but they even offer OBC that can be used to buy drinks. 

16 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

I am wondering what has happened to Eclipse between December 2022 and now??

We cruised Dec and Jan. Nothing happened between then and May except a different Captain and CD.  😆 😂 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, hcat said:

On cruises of 3 to 5 nights for sure. We recently did  the 10 night.repo on the Summit back to Bayonne preceded  by the four night Miami roundtrip. And yes, the vibe from the four nighter to the repo was noticeably different. But these short sailings have always been booze cruises, just maybe not to the point they are now. I see no difference in demographics or vibe on longer sailings at all. 

Edited by bayonnejoe

We are currently on the Constellation in Greece. Service is excellent, food in MDR very good to excellent. Concierge cabin shabby. Phone broken, shower head drooping ( needed *****) had to be repaired. Toilet made loud noises continuously then stopped. Sofa dirty and broken. Got off Edge in March and even though that was a new ship I think I like this one better. But it really needs sprucing up.

Since reviews are partly subjective, I share some of the poster’s impressions but not all of them. I was on the May 9 to 21 Hawaii cruise, and stayed on board for the May 21 to 28 Alaska sailing. My wife and I, who were celebrating a milestone wedding anniversary, were in a Concierge class cabin on Deck 10. It was our fourth and fifth sailing on the Eclipse. 

In my experience with Celebrity, the Guest Relations desk or the Concierge assigned to Concierge class passengers will do their best to fix complaints while you’re on board. Of course, some complaints reflect the new normal and can’t be fixed. But the new normal has affected the entire cruise industry, which shut down for years during the pandemic, and has resurfaced with every cruise line cutting costs and services because they, like everyone else, are operating in a new economic reality. 

Even before the pandemic, I was never a fan of the specialty restaurants on board the S-class ships, thinking them overpriced and frankly mediocre. I had a lot of OBC during the Hawaii leg of my trip and gave Le Petit Chef and the Tuscan Grille a try again. A total waste of money, I thought. On the other hand, I enjoyed the MDR food just fine and from the comments I heard from surrounding tables so did practically everyone else. We even enjoyed the buffet restaurant a few nights when after exhausting shore excursions during the day we didn’t feel like dressing for dinner. 

The chilly weather during the Alaska leg was a first for me. Normally when cruising in the tropical climates of the Caribbean or the Mediterranean the pool deck is packed, relieving the congestion inside. But unlike its RCCL big sister, Celebrity ships do not offer nearly the number and variety of on board activities, resulting in passengers overcrowding the coffee bar and the buffet restaurant with little else to do when the weather is not conducive to sitting outside. Finding a seat in both the coffee bar and the buffet restaurant became a daily challenge. 

But Celebrity must be doing something right because both cruises were filled to capacity. I was determined to have a good time and wound up having a wonderful time. I’m sure no matter what cruise line I chose I could find plenty to complain about, but instead I felt privileged and grateful that my wife and I were able to sail to exotic places on a still beautiful ship with perhaps the kindest crew at sea.

I certainly agree that the Eclipse is due for a facelift, but thinking that none of us are getting any younger, and regarding Time as our most precious commodity, while on board we booked a Croatia/Israel B2B on the Silhouette for 2024. 

Edited by Wiseask
  • Like 2

On 6/3/2023 at 4:00 PM, Alex618 said:

You may be right but the price will continue to increase . The Bar and Beverage manager there were 2000 packages on board.  I also thought many abused.  Ordering liquor with breakfast and not a Mimosa and more than one. Just my opinion!  

Personally, ordering liquor with breakfast is fine, just not my style... 

And, if ones' brunch last a little longer, a 2nd or 3rd mimosa may be on tap, especially if you are enjoying it all...

Cheers and bon voyage

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, HardyVA said:

Summit will not be going to Bermuda in 2024.  Eclipse is.  I was getting ready to book it but am now concerned based on some of the comments I’ve read here about her condition. 

I was the one who started this, and yes, she is the only one going to Bermuda.  Reluctantly, I booked after our experience.  I am hoping perhaps this tread will get the message to manage to take some action for this season and next.  Hopefully they can replace and clean up this ship where possible. I know that monies are an issue but not replacing soiled and damaged items are not good.  

I have photos but reluctantly will not post.  During our first three days our balcony was painted, balcony furniture was replace, and we got a new fabric sofa replacing our leather or leather like sofa.  The sheer curtail with foot long holes/rips were left in place.  The carpeting also was left intact and the badly scratched table remained. . In my opinion, the room steward should have reported most of this.  We also books dogged eared and wrinkled left from previous sailing.  I can tell you that a hotel manger and the concierge rep did all they could to resolve are issues. 

AgainI will say, we had an awesome trip In spite of our cabin disappointment.  As I have said before, we sail and take trips for destinations.  We had six superb excursions some celebrity and some not.

• Thanks 1

On 6/3/2023 at 11:11 AM, Alex618 said:

I priced the package yesterday with TA,  it was $1,800 for booze classic, gratuity, and WI-FI.  With a husband who has 2 or 3 frozen drinks, and Elite Cocktail hour, only one basic WIFI, I figure doing this on our own will cost about 1K. If you need two WI-FI connection and both drink considerable about then I can see where it is worth it.  I know while on board, I was speaking to Bar and Beverage manager and he stated these packages were costing them BIG $$$$$ so I bet they go away. 

It's near impossible X would take a loss on them so either perhaps they meant it was costing the staff in reduced tipping or X isn't bringing in as much compared to when folks were paying per drink.  Whatever they meant, X will continue increasing the price and reducing the selection for the drink package

• Like 1

Any idea if the shabbiness that may or may not exist (depending upon which posts you read/believe) apply to the suites as well?  Taking our first Celebrity cruise in October on the Eclipse in a CS...that trip certainly ain't cheap...and it's hard to know who to believe or what to expect.  I don't intend to nitpick when it comes to worn chairs in the common areas, etc., but I'd like to know that our suite we are paying several thousand for (plus airfare and hotel) aren't like staying in a Motel 6 near an airport.  The good part is that the Pacific Coastal cruise is pretty port intensive, so we will be off the ship most days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, CruisinShips said:

Any idea if the shabbiness that may or may not exist (depending upon which posts you read/believe) apply to the suites as well?  Taking our first Celebrity cruise in October on the Eclipse in a CS...that trip certainly ain't cheap...and it's hard to know who to believe or what to expect.  I don't intend to nitpick when it comes to worn chairs in the common areas, etc., but I'd like to know that our suite we are paying several thousand for (plus airfare and hotel) aren't like staying in a Motel 6 near an airport.  The good part is that the Pacific Coastal cruise is pretty port intensive, so we will be off the ship most days.

I hope your cabin does not look like motel six and that is exactly how we felt.  We have cruise the concierge c1 aft many times in the past and been exceedingly happy.  To give you and idea, we stayed club level at Pan Pacific prior to boarding. 

On 6/4/2023 at 2:49 AM, CU64 said:

Whatever made you think Celebrity was luxury? You were in a concierge balcony cabin, no different that other balconies except you had a footstool. You also paid very reasonable prices for that cabin.. I know those prices, having sailed Eclipse to New Zealand in March and will be on her again in October….you might enjoy the newer Celebrity ships with a much different price point. Personally, I like the vibe of the ship; prefer the intimate areas with music and think the older furnishing add a warmth.

Celebrity has branded and promoted itself as "MODERN LUXURY,"  "WE TREAT YOU LIKE A CELEBRITY"  for many years...not run of the mill, shabby and run down regardless of the ship...

X needs to take stock and re-polish its image..esp on the treasured "older" ships!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Alex618 said:

I was the one who started this, and yes, she is the only one going to Bermuda.  Reluctantly, I booked after our experience.  I am hoping perhaps this tread will get the message to manage to take some action for this season and next.  Hopefully they can replace and clean up this ship where possible. I know that monies are an issue but not replacing soiled and damaged items are not good.  

I have photos but reluctantly will not post.  During our first three days our balcony was painted, balcony furniture was replace, and we got a new fabric sofa replacing our leather or leather like sofa.  The sheer curtail with foot long holes/rips were left in place.  The carpeting also was left intact and the badly scratched table remained. . In my opinion, the room steward should have reported most of this.  We also books dogged eared and wrinkled left from previous sailing.  I can tell you that a hotel manger and the concierge rep did all they could to resolve are issues. 

AgainI will say, we had an awesome trip In spite of our cabin disappointment.  As I have said before, we sail and take trips for destinations.  We had six superb excursions some celebrity and some not.

Are you booked for a 2024 cruise to Bermuda on Eclipse?  If you are, may I ask what deck and stateroom type?  We sailed on Summit to Bermuda 5 years in a row. Stateroom on deck 7 veranda midship, which was perfect for us.  

Edited by HardyVA

12 minutes ago, HardyVA said:

Are you booked for a 2024 cruise to Bermuda on Eclipse?  If you are, may I ask what deck and stateroom type?  We sailed on Summit to Bermuda 5 years in a row. Stateroom on deck 7 veranda midship, which was perfect for us.  

This may change but SV deck 8.  Booking onboard only aft I could get at time of booking.  We like the aft.

6 hours ago, Alex618 said:

When you are aboard and find similar issues, still... ask to speak to the Maintenance Supervisor AND Hotel Director to point them out.

While you may not get a satisfactory answer for quick replacement/repair you will have made them fully aware that you are looking and seeing...

If it is something in the cabin, they may be able to take care of it quickly (i.e. curtains, covers, etc..).

Have a great sailing otherwise...

bon voyage

• Like 1