Vista May 20th Cruise Very Short Review

cruisingxpert

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review."

cruisingxpert was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Just got back from Athens and still on their time - can't stop getting up at 4am😕

We had my favourite penthouse cabin at the back of Deck 7 with the large wraparound balcony.  Cabin is beautiful and the closet space was decent and drawer space plentiful.  I was concerned that there was now no walk in closet but you can create one by opening the closet doors on both sides lol

I thought the new Aquamar in the old La Reserve space was a good addition- loved the Poke Bowl.

Waves turning into a pizzeria at night was a nice idea- you can also order the pizza and have it brought to the Terrace.

Red Ginger doesn't look like an Asian restaurant anymore but maybe some will like the well lit space now,

Only went to Ember once but I liked the decor and enjoyed the food.  We normally take 2-2.5 hours in a specialty but were out of Ember in 1hr 45 min.  

For those people booked in an extended Concierge veranda, they are not allowing you to have a lounger- I know 2 cabins that asked and were refused.  It may be that they don't have enough loungers- just a guess.

We did get 8 people to do the Odyssey La Reserve dinner in Privee.  You have to be very proactive because they don't advertise it anywhere.  They said we have to have a minimum of 8 and a maximum of 8 people.  We got to Privee and the setting was for 10 people- a bit of communication issues.  The amuse bouche was served in the Library.  The chairs were uncomfortable and we were told that someone had fallen out of their chair on one of the previous dinners.  New chairs have been ordered.  The dinner was a lot of fun.  Cost was $150 plus 20% grats

The Spa deck pool and seating is lovely

My biggest complaint is the aft elevator DOES NOT stop on Deck 5.  I mentioned this in another post but will repeat it here.

Having just returned from the Mat 20th Vista cruise, I agree with what the "pointsguy" girl said. It is beautiful and never felt full.

There is one difference that really bothered me, that the pointsguy didn't mention- maybe she was in a cabin towards the front of the ship, The aft elevators DO NOT go to Deck 5 even though the button for 5 is shown on the panel. There is also no staircase when you reach Deck 6 to continue down to Deck 5.  If you are in an aft cabin you have to walk to the front elevators or go to deck 6 and walk forward to the stairs to Deck 5.  What were they thinking??  The Reason?  They added some tables to enlarge the Ember space.  

I mean who cares- deck 5 doesn't have anything of importance- only

Reception, Destinations Concierge Desk, Reservations desk, Shops, Red Ginger, Ember, Vista Theatre, one of main exits from the ship etc etc,

Any questions- happy to answer what I can.

Catherine

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

Is the elevator issue a mechanical one that is being fixed or a design problem?  IOW is there an elevator bank on deck six aft that is just temporarily taped off?

Not a mechanical issue.  They enlarged the seating area in Ember, blocking that back hallway to the aft Deck 5 elevator and stairway to Deck 6.  I guess they thought more tables in Ember was better than letting people in back half the ship access all the Deck 5 services whose nearest elevator would be the Aft elevators.  On another note, don't listen to the mechanical elevator lady that says the elevator is going down when it is going up and vice versa. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the insights; did you use the gym or  do anything on the sports deck?  Booked on the British Isles cruise in August and the ship looks beautiful. 

57 minutes ago, IDL said:

Thanks for the insights; did you use the gym or  do anything on the sports deck?  Booked on the British Isles cruise in August and the ship looks beautiful. 

I looked at the gym and it looked well equipped.  The sports deck has the mini golf put courses and an area for the latest craze- pickleball  I did book a free( being the operative word) appointment to discuss back and knee pain.  Of course I ended up with some orthotic inserts for my shoes - which I took out after the first walking on all the uneven cobblestones in Mykonos 😁

• Like 1

Interesting about the aft stairway/elevators not going to deck 5.  That got our interest because our booked cabin (which we can still change) is located relatively close to the aft elevators.  A careful look at the deck plan seems to show that the aft stairs/elevators would be in a crew space, on Deck 5, which I am guessing is part of the galley.  So, access to Deck 5 (a deck with many facilities) is limited to only the forward stairs/elevators.   Certainly a design anomaly, if not a flaw.  I imagine it will cause some issues for those with mobility limitations who have aft cabins.

Hank 

We had a forward cabin... therefore I never used the aft elevator and didn´t see that it doesn´t stop on deck 5. But actually when you check the deck plans... the elevator/stairs would end up in the galley on deck 5. So there is no place to go there for passengers.

Some collegues had the large balcony and asked for loungers and were told the same. No loungers, everyone gets the same furniture.

They still need to communicate that Ember is ment as a "fast dining" option.

steamboats

Edited by steamboats
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steamboats said:

They still need to communicate that Ember is ment as a "fast dining" option.

Interesting comment.  Every staff member I talked to mentioned that Ember was geared to Americans who like to eat fast.  I told them that they might want to explain it differently.  I mentioned it to some American passengers and they were offended -that they were being told that they didn't appreciate fine dining and long dinners

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

Interesting comment.  Every staff member I talked to mentioned that Ember was geared to Americans who like to eat fast.  I told them that they might want to explain it differently.  I mentioned it to some American passengers and they were offended -that they were being told that they didn't appreciate fine dining and long dinners

Yes, we were told that they wanted to give a faster option but still three or more courses. So an average dinner at Ember should be app. 90 min. It´s more a casual dining option and can be also family style dining with sharing plates.

But I think that many people still think it´s a replacement for Jaques and expect a fine dining option with a nice long dinner.

steamboats

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruisingxpert said:

So, Ember is a fast-serve restaurant for Americans because we just bite-and-swallow then leave, and yet they expect us Yanks to take even more time to get there and overexert ourselves walking to the forward elevator and back, both ways?   Outrageous!     😄 

😄    😋

• Haha 7

9 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Interesting about the aft stairway/elevators not going to deck 5.  That got our interest because our booked cabin (which we can still change) is located relatively close to the aft elevators.  A careful look at the deck plan seems to show that the aft stairs/elevators would be in a crew space, on Deck 5, which I am guessing is part of the galley.  So, access to Deck 5 (a deck with many facilities) is limited to only the forward stairs/elevators.   Certainly a design anomaly, if not a flaw.  I imagine it will cause some issues for those with mobility limitations who have aft cabins.

Hank 

Sort of reminiscent of the stairways and elevator banks on the old, class-separated ocean liners, where you had the “you can’t get there, from here” syndrome.😁

But many modern cruise ships also have these “obstacles” of navigation.   Sometimes because a full width galley isolates an aft, lower deck restaurant from the rest of that deck.

On Oceania’s “R” Class ships, if you are in a forward cabin on Deck 3, you cannot access the forward stairway/elevator bank without violating a “crew only” area, which means you need to first walk back to the aft stairway/ elevator bank, go up to another deck, and then go forward again.

When the gangway is on Deck 3, they will sometimes allow you to cross that area…

10 hours ago, cruisingxpert said:

Thank you for the informative post.  Did you find that you were rushed at Ember e.g., could you enjoy a glass of wine before dinner without staff by your table asking for dinner choices? What menu item did you enjoy the most?  

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, IDL said:

We're on that cruise also. Haven't seen any photos of gym

7 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

Thank you for the informative post.  Did you find that you were rushed at Ember e.g., could you enjoy a glass of wine before dinner without staff by your table asking for dinner choices? What menu item did you enjoy the most?  

We didn't feel rushed into making any choices before we were ready.  I think the main difference was the appetizer came within minutes of ordering and the salad course followed as soon as appetizer was consumed.  There was a reasonable wait before the main was served.  If you had asked them to move a little slower, I'm sure they would have accommodated you.  The manager, Loys, was very pleasant.

Ember was the only specialty that a few wines by the glass that were not in any any other restaurant.

I ordered the lobster roll and the burrata cheese app- lobster roll was decent with the proper top cut lobster roll bun.  It was a petite size.  The burrata cheese app was very good.  I did order that steak with the bone in.  It was flavorful but a bit too chewy for me.  

I would definitely eat there again.

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

We're on that cruise also. Haven't seen any photos of gym

Gym looks like most that I have seen.  If you google Oceania Vista reviews youtube, there are several good full walkthroughs that show the gym area as well.

Thank you for your post - We were on the May 13 cruise and stayed closer to the Aft. Frank Del Rio was on our cruise and gave an informative talk to the Cruise Critic folks - and he said that at the aft they installed some mechanical equipment that would meet some energy saving requirements, and this caused a bit of a redesign of that part of the ship. It likely pushed the kitchen galley spaces and restaurants more forward and could have caused the elevator change. 

From a enjoyment standpoint - we use the stairs quite a bit - When we used the aft stairs, it was always with a plan to stop off at the lounges before dinner. So in that aspect it made things a bit simpler. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, cruisecrazy2023 said:

Thank you for your post - We were on the May 13 cruise and stayed closer to the Aft. Frank Del Rio was on our cruise and gave an informative talk to the Cruise Critic folks - and he said that at the aft they installed some mechanical equipment that would meet some energy saving requirements, and this caused a bit of a redesign of that part of the ship. It likely pushed the kitchen galley spaces and restaurants more forward and could have caused the elevator change. 

Okay, thanks…now it begins to make sense…a  “last minute” redesign does sound likely.  Hopefully they had time to correct that for the Allura, if not too extensive or costly…

13 hours ago, cruisecrazy2023 said:

Something about that explanation doesn't add up for me  If the redesign pushed the galley and kitchen forward, why is Ember quite a bit larger than Jacques was and extends back to where the hallway ended by the back elevator.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cruisingxpert said:

Something about that explanation doesn't add up for me  If the redesign pushed the galley and kitchen forward, why is Ember quite a bit larger than Jacques was and extends back to where the hallway ended by the back elevator.

I talked with one of the bridge crew - Vista is wider than Riveria too. We also aren’t engineers / so we are only speculating- but I would imagine if you are putting something in the ship that wasn’t there before would cause you to shift around a lot of things - like the kitchen galley and the staff quarters possibly. Also balancing everything with weight - it’s possible decisions were made based on these things. There are three elevators on the ship. Personally I use the stairs - but this ship is not that large that even mobility challenged folks have an easy time getting around. 

Actually the galley of Ember and Red Ginger have the same size and are next to each other. Behind those two galleys is the galley of The Grand Dining Room including room service and suite service.

We had a galley tour.

steamboats

• Thanks 1

We were on the inaugural cruise. We had one complaint. The stools at the pool bar were almost impossible to reach. I had to push myself up by putting my feet on the stool next to mine. I am 5’4” so my height wasn’t the issue.
I was told there were lots of comments and they’re being replaced. 

On 6/3/2023 at 5:58 AM, cruisingxpert said:

Just got back from Athens and still on their time - can't stop getting up at 4am😕

We had my favourite penthouse cabin at the back of Deck 7 with the large wraparound balcony.  Cabin is beautiful and the closet space was decent and drawer space plentiful.  I was concerned that there was now no walk in closet but you can create one by opening the closet doors on both sides lol

I thought the new Aquamar in the old La Reserve space was a good addition- loved the Poke Bowl.

Waves turning into a pizzeria at night was a nice idea- you can also order the pizza and have it brought to the Terrace.

Red Ginger doesn't look like an Asian restaurant anymore but maybe some will like the well lit space now,

Only went to Ember once but I liked the decor and enjoyed the food.  We normally take 2-2.5 hours in a specialty but were out of Ember in 1hr 45 min.  

For those people booked in an extended Concierge veranda, they are not allowing you to have a lounger- I know 2 cabins that asked and were refused.  It may be that they don't have enough loungers- just a guess.

We did get 8 people to do the Odyssey La Reserve dinner in Privee.  You have to be very proactive because they don't advertise it anywhere.  They said we have to have a minimum of 8 and a maximum of 8 people.  We got to Privee and the setting was for 10 people- a bit of communication issues.  The amuse bouche was served in the Library.  The chairs were uncomfortable and we were told that someone had fallen out of their chair on one of the previous dinners.  New chairs have been ordered.  The dinner was a lot of fun.  Cost was $150 plus 20% grats

The Spa deck pool and seating is lovely

My biggest complaint is the aft elevator DOES NOT stop on Deck 5.  I mentioned this in another post but will repeat it here.

Having just returned from the Mat 20th Vista cruise, I agree with what the "pointsguy" girl said. It is beautiful and never felt full.

There is one difference that really bothered me, that the pointsguy didn't mention- maybe she was in a cabin towards the front of the ship, The aft elevators DO NOT go to Deck 5 even though the button for 5 is shown on the panel. There is also no staircase when you reach Deck 6 to continue down to Deck 5.  If you are in an aft cabin you have to walk to the front elevators or go to deck 6 and walk forward to the stairs to Deck 5.  What were they thinking??  The Reason?  They added some tables to enlarge the Ember space.  

I mean who cares- deck 5 doesn't have anything of importance- only

Reception, Destinations Concierge Desk, Reservations desk, Shops, Red Ginger, Ember, Vista Theatre, one of main exits from the ship etc etc,

Any questions- happy to answer what I can.

Catherine

Hello Catherine,

I am interested to know how you organized the Odyssey dinner? Who should I contact if I want to put a group together and where did you see the menu? Did they also offer the champagne dinner with wine pairing?

On 6/3/2023 at 4:00 PM, Hlitner said:

Hank 

Good analysis...and great to see you have booked Oceania.   Can I ask which Vista cruise you have chosen?  I seem to remember that the 21 April from Malta to Trieste was on your "list" - and if you are on that, so are we.  At the opposite end of the ship though.