NCL PCC, What's the Benefit?

Seafan22

I have always booked my trips through the website, and if changes were needed I would call up and talk with whoever answered the line and make whatever changes I needed and move on.

Recently I was contacted by an NCL Personal Cruise Consultant (PCC) - after mock-book a trip to see what the final price would be - and he offered me his services.  Can those of you that have used PCC's explain to me what the benefits would be of using someone like him.  I know if I use a Travel Agent they can sometime offer benefits like OBC or other things.  What can he do for me?

Thanks

As you said, TAs can sometimes offer additional perks. A PCC can't do that.

What a PCC can do is offer you instant service (or close to it). Our PCC has a private direct line with voicemail. If he doesn't immediately answer (with a personal greeting, since he has caller id and knows who's calling) he always calls us back within a few minutes. He also has access to cabins that aren't shown as available on the NCL site. Using a TA can require much waiting time on hold while the TA connects with the cruise line. 

• Like 2

Honestly, not a lot that you aren't able to do. We have booked with a PCC for some of our cruises (after discovering PCC's existed). She called my husband, established a relationship with him, and was able to help him book a cruise we were interested in. We did the legwork - figuring out what room we wanted, what Free at Sea perks we wanted, etc. 

Even though I'm a TA (only for friends/family!), we continued using the PCC as my husband was working from home, and honestly, he enjoyed having conversation with someone who wasn't me. Yes, he and she would have an hours long conversation that had nothing to do with booking a cruise. Now that he's finally working in an office again and has normal socialization routines, we may just have me book our future cruises. 

We truly only used the PCC for my husband's social time (argh, he will kill me if he ever sees this post). Alas, if he wants to make changes to the booking (which he does enjoy doing too), we may continue with the PCC as he can then make those changes. Personally, I'd rather not deal with my own bookings. 

A PCC or TA are able to secure exact rooms when the NCL site doesn't always allow this. Additionally, sometimes (this is really inconsistent) you may not see your future cruise credit on the consumer site. The PCC/TA can look it up using your information and apply them to your method of payment. 

• Haha 1

Done both..PCC and a TA.  Had a long time TA who left her agency.  She knew exactly what I was looking for and always let me have all the perks that the PCC couldn’t offer (like OBC from using AMEX Plat) and some of her commission (sometimes hundreds of dollars depending on cruise/cabin).  

She would also take care of booking my flights and hotels if necessary.  I doubt she made any money on that (maybe hotel commissions).  But, she offered that service to me.  But, I had probably booked 15+ cruises with her, too. Sad she left.

PCCs can’t do any of that. 

I can call (most likely email) my TA with requests/changes to my cruise and she’d email me back with written confirmation of the changes.  Never waited on hold.

I have no issues with using PCCs.  They tend to be transitory, though.

• Like 1

Our PCC has helped with the following things that I could not do myself.

1) Advance restaurant booking.  Sometimes there are openings that we can't access.

2) Combining promos. NCL had their "Free At Sea" promo, and a "Canadian at PAR" Promo.  The website only had a radio button, so I had to choose one or the other, and the PCC was able to combine them.

3) Answer my questions.  Whether it's about air travel deviations, food allergy accommodations, tax expectations, promo code explanations, she has been reliable for me as well as the family and friends that I have referred to her. I used to use the chat, or phone in, but the reliability of the answers was questionable.  My PCC has proven a better source of information to me.

I like and use my PCC for all the questions I have and bookings./additions/changes I usually make pre-cruise.  It's just easier than calling the number and getting some random person to help.

• Like 1

Is a PCC useful in tracking price changes if you book far out?  Or is that on me to do most of the tracking and they will just help with the changes?  And if the price goes down do they lose commision or points and is this a disincentive for them?

3 minutes ago, Seafan22 said:

Is a PCC useful in tracking price changes if you book far out?  Or is that on me to do most of the tracking and they will just help with the changes?  And if the price goes down do they lose commision or points and is this a disincentive for them?

No clue about their compensation, but I know our PCC does not track pricing changes for us. That would not be in NCL's best interest and PCC's employees of the cruise line. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Seafan22 said:

Ours doesn't track price changes. However, he encourages us to keep checking prices to see if they drop. If they do, he is able to apply the new price immediately...or issue FCC if after final payment.

He has also changed cabins for us instantly if we needed/wanted to change. Much easier doing these things with a PCC than a TA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seafan22 said:

Not sure about PCCs keeping track of pricing.  TA would let me know, but not sure if she always knew every price change.

9 hours ago, Seafan22 said:

8 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Ours doesn't track price changes. However, he encourages us to keep checking prices to see if they drop. If they do, he is able to apply the new price immediately...or issue FCC if after final payment.

He has also changed cabins for us instantly if we needed/wanted to change. Much easier doing these things with a PCC than a TA.

To add to what Schmoopie17 said - for our upcoming cruise, I kept an eye on prices myself, and when they dropped over Thanksgiving weekend when everything was closed, I emailed my PCC. He processed the lower prices for our reservations when he returned (after the sale had actually ended), no questions asked. Didn't even have to talk on the phone!

The other advantage has been to have him do the various add-ons x2 for our two reservations for the same cruise. Super easy to do most everything myself, and honestly that is my preference, but it gets tedious if you have multiple reservations (with multiple primary accounts) for the same cruise. 

Found using a PCC very handy for a flight booking using NCL credit(UK) no way to do it on line.
I had decided what flight options would be best for us to extend the trip  and they could work through them to see what worked best with the air credit, in the end total cruise price went down adding air.

Not sure if a TA could do that without going to NCL, a TA  booking i did  they had to work with NCL to sort out cruise next and discount coupons so it took a while and a few call backs to get there. 

is there a way to get to stop calling? I have 4 future cruises booked. whenever i log into my ncl account to check my bookings by the next day or so they calling me asking me when i want to book another cruise

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Seafan22 said:

I have always booked my trips through the website, and if changes were needed I would call up and talk with whoever answered the line and make whatever changes I needed and move on.

Recently I was contacted by an NCL Personal Cruise Consultant (PCC) - after mock-book a trip to see what the final price would be - and he offered me his services.  Can those of you that have used PCC's explain to me what the benefits would be of using someone like him.  I know if I use a Travel Agent they can sometime offer benefits like OBC or other things.  What can he do for me?

Thanks

There are no real “perks” from a PCC. But you get someone who [maybe] knows what they are doing and can help avoid about 80% of the scathing posts on Cruise Critic each week by not doing something stupid. 

We always use a PCC, but basically tell them exactly what we want. 

My sister uses a PCC, but won’t book until she asks her 106 questions to ensure she knows exactly what she is getting. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

is there a way to get to stop calling? I have 4 future cruises booked. whenever i log into my ncl account to check my bookings by the next day or so they calling me asking me when i want to book another cruise

this is why I stopped using PCC years ago.  I find their calls annoying.  I like to take a "don't call me, I'll call you" attitude.  I no longer keep a valid phone number with NCL to stop the calls

2 hours ago, shof515 said:

51 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

this is why I stopped using PCC years ago.  I find their calls annoying.  I like to take a "don't call me, I'll call you" attitude.  I no longer keep a valid phone number with NCL to stop the calls

Perhaps our PCC is lazy, or knows us too well, but we don't get calls from her after looking at our account (or new cruises). Basically, I login every single day to check for coupons/discounts, and to ensure my FCC is still there (now that I can finally see it). 

Also, at least two to three days a week I go into cruise dream mode. I get the annoying "Book your cruise" emails, but the PCC doesn't call my husband or I when I do this. She reaches out once every couple months to say hi, but they have a nice conversation and move on. 

@shof515, does the same PCC always call you? If so, have you had a conversation with them to say, "I appreciate your time, I'm just looking at my already booked cruises. When I have a question, I'll give you a call, but I would be grateful if you not contact me each time I log in to the system. Thanks!" Or, something like that? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shof515 said:

Yes, there is a way to avoid the calls. (Actually, I've never received a call from a random PCC)...

just  don't answer calls from unknown numbers. Also, if you have an I phone, you can block unknown callers. Easy.

11 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Yes, there is a way to avoid the calls. (Actually, I've never received a call from a random PCC)...

just  don't answer calls from unknown numbers. Also, if you have an I phone, you can block unknown callers. Easy.

On an Iphone,  you can set it up so that only calls in your contacts list will ring.  all others go to voice mail.  If it's important, they will leave a message.

Amazing how much fewer calls I get that way.  Of course, I do miss out on investment opportunities, car warranty offers, ...

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have now taken advantage of my PCC a bit more and, much to my surprise, I find it very handy! 

He has been able to add some small things like double Latirude (even when not running promo), adding multiple coupons when the online system has denied me, and most recently he added a discounted flight (including port transfer) to a cruise that "shouldn't" allow it (and had I booked myself I wouldn't have had the option - I tried!).

(Yes, it was very simple direct flights (Oslo-Reykjavik and Tromsö-Oslo) where I could have found good prices myself, but not as good as what he offered me.)

So I will continue using him as long as he delivers! I have made it clear that I absolutely do not want him (or anyone else) to call me, and so far (6 months?) my wish has been respected.

Edit: Maybe I should mention that I'm Europe (Sweden) based. Might make a different what's useful and what's not.

Edited by Asawi
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2023 at 6:23 AM, shof515 said:

I get the same thing. Everytime I do a mock booking to check on prices I get a call. They call at least once a day for several days after that. I know when I see a call from Florida to ignore it. I have found PCC's are not needed.

Edited by genealogyfan

I've had one call me (she called TWICE after my cruise this Spring and I didn't even book it using her!) and I get emails from NCL with her name at the top.  I emailed her yesterday, looking to possibly book my next trip and it's been crickets!  I'll give her through the weekend, then I'll probably just use my CND to at least hold the room at the current pricing.

I had an email from my "new" PCC recently.

Turns out the old one silent for a year had  emailed when we were on a cruise.

That flight for the Star cruise with Tromso  looks interesting could not find anything sensible and the late discount on the cruise  are fantastic .

3 hours ago, Asawi said:

I have now taken advantage of my PCC a bit more and, much to my surprise, I find it very handy! 

He has been able to add some small things like double Latirude (even when not running promo), ---

Sheesh, wish I could get my PCC to add double or even triple Latitude points to each one of my cruises!!