NCL Prima - Observation Lounge closed for the entire cruise

robinium

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I sure hope they do not do anything like that on our Prima cruise that includes Norwegian fjords. And especially for Park West, who frankly s*ck.

Norwegian couldn't care less who books it as long as they have $$$. I mean, what do you want them to say, " oh, no, you are park West, we don't want your money". Many cruise lines have a successful and profitable business relationship with Park West spanning over 3 decades.

It's the sad nature of the cruise line. They will inconvenience everyone and anyone if it helps their bottom line. Your itinerary means nothing to them, sadly.

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 2

The guest services manager phoned my cabin this evening to inform me that my email to NCL Corporate had been received and passed to him. 

He told me that they had opened one side of the lounge to passengers as a “workaround” to the situation. I let him know that I had noticed this and had ventured up there today, but the art auction audio being broadcast through the lounge had made it very difficult to enjoy the open area, plus that it had been very overcrowded. He told me that this was the best they could do under the circumstances. 

Nothing else offered re: my grievances with the situation. He just told me he hoped I enjoyed my time in Norway today “at least”, and that I enjoy my reservation for Cagney’s this evening. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, robinium said:

After departing Bergen, it got very windy and cold again, so we popped into the Observation Lounge during the daytime. 

It is absolutely packed in here, lots of people standing around in crowds. However, the “Private Function” is currently ongoing, with seemingly only a few people inside.

The frustrating thing is that they’re broadcasting (loudly) microphone audio from the art function through the entire lounge; even the passenger portion. So we can’t enjoy a nice bit of light music or a peaceful departure from the port… we have to listen to a pretentious artist talk about the size of brush she uses, adding colour into subject matter and her inspirational path to painting. 

It is the most boring cr*p I’ve ever heard. 

DW is an art teacher, actually now retired, and even she I believe would find that talk BORING.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

This is one of the very few instances where I would consider reducing/eliminating the DSC. 

I would make it very clear why I was doing so.

We have been prepay people for our convenience for a long time on all lines.

DSC is a significant message for any onboard issue that is not addressed promptly if you don't prepay.

6 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

We have been prepay people for our convenience for a long time on all lines.

DSC is a significant message for any onboard issue that is not addressed promptly if you don't prepay.

Presumably you can remove the DSC and have a refund of the prepayment, no? We prepaid ourselves. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

If you have not yet made the final payment on your cruise, you can ask that the DSC be deferred and included with your on board account.

The person you're quoting is currently on board for their trip.  The default is that the DSC is deferred, the passenger needs to select to pre-pay it either during booking or at some point after booking.

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

This is one of the very few instances where I would consider reducing/eliminating the DSC. 

I would make it very clear why I was doing so.

Because your room steward, waiters, cruise staff, cooks, dishwashers took the observation lounge away from you????

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Because your room steward, waiters, cruise staff, cooks, dishwashers took the observation lounge away from you????

No, of course not. However, the cruise line is obligated to make up any deficiencies in the DSC.  Do you know of a better way to send a message to the cruise line that closing down the observation lounge is costing them money?

Besides, one does not have to keep the money deducted from the DSC.  One can always give that money directly to the stewards, waiters, etc.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Red-Sol said:

I am so sorry you are going through this on your cruise....It is NOT acceptable (no matter how a couple of cheerleaders want you to think it is) You and other cruisers with you need to complain loud and long in as many areas and emails to corporate as possible. Frankly the Prima already is not recieiving a lot of good reviews in comparison to the bad ones...and this situation will just make it worse.

Agree.

I understand a venue being blocked for an event for a couple of hours, but NOT the Observation Lounge for an entire scenic cruise. It t is not acceptable. Prima does not have a good space to have this event. If they held it on a ship with the Supper Club or Spiegel tent venue, they could use it during the day without bothering anyone else. On a ship that has both a Bliss lounge and Spinnaker they could use The Bliss lounge all day. I remember when ships used to have meeting rooms that could be used without disrupting anyone. What a concept. 

Tying up the observation lounge on Prima during a cool weather cruise is not fair. If it was a warm weather cruise, I don't think it would be as big of a deal. 

• Like 11

2 hours ago, robinium said:

The guest services manager phoned my cabin this evening to inform me that my email to NCL Corporate had been received and passed to him ... < snipped >  that they had opened one side of the lounge to passengers as a “workaround” to the situation ... just told me he hoped I enjoyed my time in Norway today “at least”, and that I enjoy my reservation for Cagney’s this evening. 

Realized while poking around, that this sailing didn't have an organized CC Meet & Greet, although it probably wouldn't have a darn difference, it is what it is - to NCL.  But, you / we got their attention as otherwise, if some of "us" stay muted while others pretend it's business as usual, NCL will continue to push the limits and the envelopes again - as in, corporate isn't going to reconsider their posture on this matter ahead.  Not against NCLH making their bottomline revenue targets (as shareholders, full disclosure here) but, sometimes - one has to step on that red line and yell - virtually - "stop" it.  Not acceptable, period. 

Thank you for speaking out & dispatching that email.  This matter got their attention "at least" and with that, cheers !  

• Like 10

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Some on here say DSC is not relevant to the service provided by those essential workers.

The advice given by the ship  to people on Star when not happy about a policy that suspended alcohol for 2 days was reduce/remove DSC.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This is a sad story on 2 counts.  First that a popular area was closed for guests the entire cruise. Second that the NCL ship has no public space for a private art show.  Of course they would not have it on the Race Track or theater.  NCL is not building ships properly if they have nowhere to have a private art show.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

This is a sad story on 2 counts.  First that a popular area was closed for guests the entire cruise. Second that the NCL ship has no public space for a private art show.  Of course they would not have it on the Race Track or theater.  NCL is not building ships properly if they have nowhere to have a private art show.  

How many passengers would consider it unfortunate if those 'art' shows were cancelled?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

It is normal on every cruise line. A group can do a partial charter, in this case Park West is comping cruises for their customers plus adding people who booked the cruise on their own. We have been invited to comped auction cruise events and turn them down. 

A partial charter group can arrange for facilities, AV, food, support. 

We were on the Prima last year when a travel agent group held their annual convention on the ship and took over various Venus, including the observation lounge, for their events. It was not for the whole cruise because it moved around, OL, go kart track, Stadium. 

Last month, our paid activity got cut short  when we got bumped by a wedding that had reserved the space. 

Not quite.  It may be normal for a group to do a partial charter and to reserve use of certain venues at a certain time(s).  But the entire observation lounge for the duration of the cruise?  You cannot argue that is "normal."

• Like 9

9 hours ago, EPTCB said:

Responses will obviously vary person to person. Our response upon finding that the observation lounge was closed for the entirety of a cruise would be something along the lines of muttering "That's a bummer" and then wandering off to enjoy the rest of the cruise.

Norwegian loves a customer like you!!

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, JCDCA said:

Not quite.  It may be normal for a group to do a partial charter and to reserve use of certain venues at a certain time(s).  But the entire observation lounge for the duration of the cruise?  You cannot argue that is "normal."

Well, actually, there are precedents. 

Some examples;

One partial charter reserved the MDR for second seating for the entire seven day cruise.

Another partial charter reserved the 'Crows Nest', Hollands version of the Observation Lounge, for the entire time the ship was in Glacier Bay.

This doesn't appear to be a charter of any type but a commercial venture (Park West) leasing the venue for the entire cruise for their art sales.  One can see that this venue would be attractive since it a magnet for those specifically invited by PW.  Get them in for the view, feed them free champagne... 

8 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Well, actually, there are precedents. 

Some examples;

One partial charter reserved the MDR for second seating for the entire seven day cruise.

Another partial charter reserved the 'Crows Nest', Hollands version of the Observation Lounge, for the entire time the ship was in Glacier Bay.

This doesn't appear to be a charter of any type but a commercial venture (Park West) leasing the venue for the entire cruise for their art sales.  One can see that this venue would be attractive since it a magnet for those specifically invited by PW.  Get them in for the view, feed them free champagne... 

Ok, those are good examples.  I guess at least with the dining room it would at least still be open at certain (reduced) times.  I’d still argue this is a pretty bad policy or precedent to set.  

5 hours ago, robinium said:

The guest services manager phoned my cabin this evening to inform me that my email to NCL Corporate had been received and passed to him. 

He told me that they had opened one side of the lounge to passengers as a “workaround” to the situation. I let him know that I had noticed this and had ventured up there today, but the art auction audio being broadcast through the lounge had made it very difficult to enjoy the open area, plus that it had been very overcrowded. He told me that this was the best they could do under the circumstances. 

Nothing else offered re: my grievances with the situation. He just told me he hoped I enjoyed my time in Norway today “at least”, and that I enjoy my reservation for Cagney’s this evening. 

When that comment is made expect a bottle of wine 

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

It is truly unfortunate when the front line crew who deal with passengers suffer because of what the suits in headquarters do.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2023 at 9:41 AM, JandC_Cruising said:

It looks like the OL on the Prima is significantly smaller than those on the BA+ ships. 

I just took a look at the deck plan and also a youtube video and it must be 1/2 the size.

The Port and Starboard sides are definitely shorter and the front only has a fraction of the space of the Joy and Encore.  

Still, depending upon the itinerary, a full cruise shutdown of that space will certainly create upset passengers.

We're  booked for the Prima summer '25 for Norway/Iceland (what the OP is currently on) and losing that space would likely make us upset too!

Joy is going to be losing a significant amount of space in their observation lounge when it goes into dry dock in January. Supposedly they are going to add 24 new cabins in it's place and adding more room to their spa. 

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Someone mentioned a few days ago on here that they had a discussion with one of the staff and they told them that they do not see one penny of that service charge. It apparently goes to fund vacation time for the higher up staff. I don't know if they got that info totally right but if that is the case giving a hefty tip to your cabin steward and some of your servers and then reducing your service charge seems fair to me. I do give our cabin steward a good tip but have not yet asked for a reduction in my service charge.....but I am serously thinking about.  It bothers me that the lower staff does not get any of this money that they rightly deserve. 

• Like 2