Is it time to exit the "X"?

kiterp

7 hours ago, retired dude said:

my wife and i dress nicely for dinner in the mdr or specialty venues  every night...No tux or formalgowns, but nice dress clothes...For us it is a matter of respect for not only us, but also our fellow passengers..My parents taught us that your appearance means alot and we are not a part of the narcistic segment of our current population...

I am so agreed with you. I am not a fan of "Free Style". I was disappointed the way people were dressed on our recent NCL Haven cruise. I don't care to see people's PJ in the evening, walking around the ship. Nicely dressed people enhance overall cruising experience, like it used to be. 

Cultural decline is seen everywhere. 

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I don't agree with much of the OP's original post, but I wanted to respond to this point.  I can speak from my own perspective only.  I certainly don't let anyone's attire ruin my cruise.  But I also don't like traveling with people who feel entitled - that rules don't apply to them - that they paid money for their vacation so they'll do whatever they please.  IMHO there is way too much of that in this world already, and it seems to have multiplied exponentially since Covid shutdown.  And where does it end?  Is it ok to wear swimsuits to dinner?  Can I wear a see-through top (heaven forbid LOL).  How about a bikini?  Yes, extreme examples perhaps but if anything goes what's to say that won't be next?  To me it's not about the times they are a changin'.  It's about respect.

So I don't give a hoot what they actually wear, but I do care about the 'the heck with rules and the heck with how this affects other people' attitude.  When one contracts with a company to take a vacation on their ship, they are agreeing to abide by the rules of that company. If you don't like the rules that's no problem - just find a place with rules you are happy with. And the ship should enforce the rules, but at the same time just because you can get away with something does it really mean you should?  What's that quote about the meaning of integrity?

And as one last point - while I will say again that what someone wears does not ruin or make my cruise, there is such a thing as ambiance, and that it part of what I am paying for when I book a Celebrity vacation.  Ignoring the rules and dressing like you are going to a garage sale definitely impacts the ambiance of the ship.  

Yes, your point is well taken. Regardless of how I may have come across in my post, my wife and I do enjoy the ambiance as well.  We do dress nicely(not tux) every night for dinner on a cruise.   Someone said in the news the other day there are one set of laws/rules and they apply equally to everyone.  

I think it's always good practice to keep a couple of go-to cruise lines in one's back pocket.  I tend to be loyal only to my wallet and that which can give me the most enjoyable cruising experience for the buck.  Sometimes that's on Celebrity and other times it's not.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Here’s a fun fact. If you add the Princess Plus Package to any of their refundable deposit bookings, it’s a flat $60 per person per day, regardless of your loyalty level or cabin category. If you add the Celebrity All Included package and upgrade the Basic Internet package to Premium, which would make it comparable to what you get with the Princess Internet service, it’s about $95 (or $82 for AI + $13 with the elite discount) per person per day. Then for me to get Baileys and Moscato included with my Celebrity AI package, I have to also upgrade the Classic beverage package to Premium, which is another $12 pp/day making it $107 pp/day to match what we’re getting with the $60 pp/day Princess Plus package. Sorry, Celebrity’s AI prices are getting a little crazy if you stop and do the math.

Then there is the ridiculous $100 pp/day cost difference, at least on our July 2024 12-day Apex cruise in Norway, when booking a Celebrity NRD booking versus a RD booking, while Princess bookings are all refundable unless you choose one of the cheapest guarantee cabin categories, which we never do.

Don’t get me wrong, we will still continue to book cruises with Celebrity when they have an awesome itinerary like going to the Galapagos, or a cruise to Norway when they include 2 days cruising above the Arctic Circle, or a cruise that docks in New Orleans for 3 days in 2025 during Mardi Gras. But Princess also has quite the selection of way more unique 3-5 week itineraries at much more reasonable prices. 

When we only had the Classic Alc package  as part of our perks,  I .had my Baileys daily.  Waiter could not be  bothered to charge diff  in costs from Classic to Premium..Tip well, get served well!

We usually  get included grats,   Elite + wifi and sometimes the package has extra minutes..not needed, Elite + laundry perk .  Recently had to accept NRD but consequences seem not that bad...

Sticking with X but we cruise less often nowadays!

4 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

.We do not feel offended or disrespected by Celebrity's changes in certain areas. Whether we are affected or not it is inconsequential to our cruising enjoyment and any discernable difference is usually temporary. I do feel sorry for Celebrity. It seems that more and more, "we the people" just don't want to abide by the simplest of rules and requests. A perfect example is the request to dress appropriately for just a couple of hours at dinner time in the evening, in the MDR and in specialty restaurants. Is that too much to ask? Try to implement that request and the staff is besieged upon, berated and belittled by an ever-increasing number of "schlumps" who are finding cruising to their liking and liking nothing that has anything to do with compliance, consideration, and respect. Why bother some might ask.

Could be, we the people, the schlumps, are the reason for some folks jumping ship. 

Yes - this.

Society as a whole has become self-centred. The whole ‘I paid for this and if I want to wear a bathing suit to dinner,

I will‘ thinking has infiltrated everywhere.

If a staff or crew member reminds someone of the dress code (or any rule) they’re yelled at. I feel for anyone who has to deal with the public. 

I doubt that there’s any one line where people are any more genteel than the others. And the entitlement culture isn’t just among the teens & twenties. Most of them learned it from their parents and grandparents. 

• Like 8

I think it’s fair to rotate entertainment on ships.  They typically do contracts for multiple performances.  If you’re going on several cruises in the same area in a recent timeframe you could expect some duplication.  

The cocktail hours have been the same for a long time, but if you get the all inclusive deal you can drink any time you want. We’ve been doing that on the last few cruises.

Some people seem hung up on what other people wear.  I don’t get it.  What’s so fun about uncomfortable shoes and strangling yourself with a necktie.  The whole standard of what’s “dressy” is antiquated.

I’m not saying things haven’t changed a lot on X, but these things aren’t high on my radar.

Edited by tserface
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, hcat said:

When we only had the Classic Alc package  as part of our perks,  I .had my Baileys daily.  Waiter could not be  bothered to charge diff  in costs from Classic to Premium..Tip well, get served well!

We usually  get included grats,   Elite + wifi and sometimes the package has extra minutes..not needed, Elite + laundry perk .  Recently had to accept NRD but consequences seem not that bad...

Sticking with X but we cruise less often nowadays!

Understand. Unfortunately, I usually get a triple Baileys the theater just prior to the show, so I’m not sure they would be that lenient every night. I also do enjoy my 2-3 glasses of Moscato at dinner. 😁

As far as the Basic Internet service, I have to upgrade to Premium as I very much enjoy posting to a CC Live From thread on our 3-5 week cruises. Heck, most folks can’t even log onto CC, let alone most other multilevel websites using their default Basic package.

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Here’s a fun fact. If you add the Princess Plus Package to any of their refundable deposit bookings, it’s a flat $60 per person per day, regardless of your loyalty level or cabin category. If you add the Celebrity All Included package and upgrade the Basic Internet package to Premium, which would make it comparable to what you get with the Princess Internet service, it’s about $95 (or $82 for AI + $13 with the elite discount) per person per day. Then for me to get Baileys and Moscato included with my Celebrity AI package, I have to also upgrade the Classic beverage package to Premium, which is another $12 pp/day making it $107 pp/day to match what we’re getting with the $60 pp/day Princess Plus package. Sorry, Celebrity’s AI prices are getting a little crazy if you stop and do the math.

Then there is the ridiculous $100 pp/day cost difference, at least on our July 2024 12-day Apex cruise in Norway, when booking a Celebrity NRD booking versus a RD booking, while Princess bookings are all refundable unless you choose one of the cheapest guarantee cabin categories, which we never do.

Don’t get me wrong, we will still continue to book cruises with Celebrity when they have an awesome itinerary like going to the Galapagos, or a cruise to Norway when they include 2 days cruising above the Arctic Circle, or a cruise that docks in New Orleans for 3 days in 2025 during Mardi Gras. But Princess also has quite the selection of way more unique 3-5 week itineraries at much more reasonable prices. 

I never once compared the pricing of Princess vs Celebrity so have no idea what your point is. But I will point out Celebrity’s  drink package is superior for us as it includes canned soda. I only get a 25% discount on Princess.  

4 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

I never once compared the pricing of Princess vs Celebrity so have no idea what your point is. But I will point out Celebrity’s  drink package is superior for us as it includes canned soda. I only get a 25% discount on Princess.  

Good point. I apologize. I think I got squirreled when you said “no point in comparing”, which got be thinking about comparing each cruise line’s All Included packages. It’s tough getting old! 😂

• Like 1

We just completed a week in the Med on Enchanted Princess. Have cruised X in various categories and have x4 booked in the future. We really enjoyed Princess and found it had some pluses and minuses in comparison with X. Eg. Really liked the quiet Retreat deck area.

The standard Plus beverage package included Hendricks gin, quaffable wine and drinks service was good whereas I have felt the X tried to slow down the sommelier service. No lines. I had read that canned sodas were not included and carried them on, and pre-purchased some, but found they were included. Thus more generous than Xs package. 

I will not cancel the X cruises as they are decent priced and itinerary driven (Vietnam, Japan, Mumbai to Singapore). I will choose Princess if better value and the itinerary is right in future. We enjoyed two Oceania cruises in the last several months but too expensive, and too old. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ISABELLA said:

I am so agreed with you. I am not a fan of "Free Style". I was disappointed the way people were dressed on our recent NCL Haven cruise. I don't care to see people's PJ in the evening, walking around the ship. Nicely dressed people enhance overall cruising experience, like it used to be. 

Cultural decline is seen everywhere. 

We so agree....

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Coastalrap said:

I don’t let what people are wearing bother me.

I agree. Everybody pays for the "luxury" of cruising and are free to enjoy as they see fit 

10 hours ago, basenji56 said:

the deficiencies of the infinite veranda matter a lot more to me

What is an infinite veranda? I've seen it referenced many times, but have never seen it. Does anyone have a link or photos? 

7 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

I'm branching out next year to try two premium lines.  Solo, they're actually cheaper than aqua or suite (I don't need cabin-based perks).  I've been following Norwaylady's "live" Infinity thread and I thought the MDR menus last week were a wasteland, especially for gluten free; Blu, previous week, not so bad.  Sadly, my next three M-class cruises will probably be my last on that class (favorite size, not enough restaurants).  Rather than leave X altogether, I'm lowering my expectations = future X cruises will be/are now booked on S-class (preferably Silhouette/Reflection), basic balcony, with specialty dinners most nights (E-class is out because of the balcony thing).  I'll adjust. 😉

Can I ask in all seriousness, why are you not cancelling the next 3 cruises on Celebirty if you are ready to move on, or are lowering your expectations?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I don't agree with much of the OP's original post, but I wanted to respond to this point.  I can speak from my own perspective only.  I certainly don't let anyone's attire ruin my cruise.  But I also don't like traveling with people who feel entitled - that rules don't apply to them - that they paid money for their vacation so they'll do whatever they please.  IMHO there is way too much of that in this world already, and it seems to have multiplied exponentially since Covid shutdown.  And where does it end?  Is it ok to wear swimsuits to dinner?  Can I wear a see-through top (heaven forbid LOL).  How about a bikini?  Yes, extreme examples perhaps but if anything goes what's to say that won't be next?  To me it's not about the times they are a changin'.  It's about respect.

So I don't give a hoot what they actually wear, but I do care about the 'the heck with rules and the heck with how this affects other people' attitude.  When one contracts with a company to take a vacation on their ship, they are agreeing to abide by the rules of that company. If you don't like the rules that's no problem - just find a place with rules you are happy with. And the ship should enforce the rules, but at the same time just because you can get away with something does it really mean you should?  What's that quote about the meaning of integrity?

And as one last point - while I will say again that what someone wears does not ruin or make my cruise, there is such a thing as ambiance, and that it part of what I am paying for when I book a Celebrity vacation.  Ignoring the rules and dressing like you are going to a garage sale definitely impacts the ambiance of the ship.  

And where does it end? 

Is it ok to wear swimsuits to dinner?  Yes

Can I wear a see-through top?  Hell Yes

How about a bikini?  Double Hell Yes

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

And where does it end? 

Is it ok to wear swimsuits to dinner?  Yes

Can I wear a see-through top?  Hell Yes

How about a bikini?  Double Hell Yes

There has to be some room for compromise. But in the Oceanview only.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Can I ask in all seriousness, why are you not cancelling the next 3 cruises on Celebirty if you are ready to move on, or are lowering your expectations?

Using up a large, final FCC for the first M-class cruise and the other two are with very, very dear friends who will be cruising for the last time (health).  I can't afford as many premium cruises as I can take on Celebrity.  Since X provides me with bev, laundry, wifi, etc, I expect that a simple balcony cabin on S-class with specialty restaurants most nights will make for enjoyable cruises (I had to lower my expectations that the MDR would be enjoyable).  I don't really dislike anything except the MDR food.  I'll swallow the pill paying double for my cabin but won't put up with the MDR food anymore.  Since X doesn't offer a solo supplement, I certainly wouldn't pay double for unnecessary aqua/suite cabin perks.  Basic balcony and specialties are a reasonable and acceptable compromise.

• Like 1

For sure try another one, two or even three cruise lines to get an unclose and personal opinion of how the different cruise lines rate in your opinion on the various factors that are important to you.

We do that and right now, we like HAL Rotterdam as it is 'new' to us.  We liked Beyond on our January 2023 sailing and for sure there are differences that you have to choose between.  

I am sure we will sail Celebrity again, but also now doing some sailing with daughters family and for sure want those memories  with granddaughter, so we also now have a couple of Royal Caribbean cruises booked.  

Then there are lots of land based trips we have done and even more we want to do..................

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, CaliB said:

What is an infinite veranda? I've seen it referenced many times, but have never seen it. Does anyone have a link or photos? 

Before anyone has a chance to ask you if you’ve been living under a celebrity rock, here’s a video that I hope helps answer your question. 

ps. I’m just funning with you and mean no offense….😊

11 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Before anyone has a chance to ask you if you’ve been living under a celebrity rock, here’s a video that I hope helps answer your question. 

I just listened to the video and he was a little ambiguous about the status of the heating and AC when the window is open. From my understanding it turns off when the window is open. Is that not true??

9 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Thanks for the informative video.  No worries. I can take a joke, so no offense taken. 

Now that I've seen it, I'm thinking it's not as bad as I was thinking. In my head I was picturing a shared balcony between multiple staterooms.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I just listened to the video and he was a little ambiguous about the status of the heating and AC when the window is open. From my understanding it turns off when the window is open. Is that not true??

I’ve never stayed in one because I’m not willing to risk the ac status. But my understanding is that if the doors are open the ac is deactivated. That’s a no go for me. 

• Like 2

Just now, Georgia_Peaches said:

I’ve never stayed in one because I’m not willing to risk the ac status. But my understanding is that if the doors are open the ac is deactivated. That’s a no go for me. 

For us we can live with the doors being closed if the AC stays on. That way I can sit on “the balcony” with the window open while my DW plays computer games in our air conditioned portion of the cabin. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CaliB said:

Thanks for the informative video.  No worries. I can take a joke, so no offense taken. 

Now that I've seen it, I'm thinking it's not as bad as I was thinking. In my head I was picturing a shared balcony between multiple staterooms.

Glad to help….and thanks for being a good sport. I think we could use more of that around here!  As for the IV, I don’t think it’s for me but just as many people love them as do not. It’s just another cruise option to consider when booking. We booked a porthole balcony cabin on the new Ascent. I think it’s a good compromise between an IV and a traditional balcony because it has a dedicated outdoor balcony (outside of the stateroom) but still has an enclosed feeling (shade) I learned about this option here on CC and I’m excited to give it a try in November.