Is it time to exit the "X"?

kiterp

17 hours ago, QuestionEverything said:

The beloved Connie is our favorite cruise ship of all time, followed by the QM2.

Serious question... why is Connie your favorite?  We're booked on her for a cruise next spring.  We've been on several other Celebrity ships and were surprised to see how few specialty dining options are available... no Murano, no Porch, no Lawn Club.  Does it have anything in the way of activities or entertainment that the others don't?

13 minutes ago, Vagabond Knight said:

Serious question... why is Connie your favorite?  We're booked on her for a cruise next spring.  We've been on several other Celebrity ships and were surprised to see how few specialty dining options are available... no Murano, no Porch, no Lawn Club.  Does it have anything in the way of activities or entertainment that the others don't?

We love Connie too.  You still have Qsine and Tuscan Grill as Specialty Restaurants on Connie.  The activities and entertainment are similar to all the X ships. It's a smaller, more intimate ship with a wonderful crew.  We prefer both M & S class to E.  

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Vagabond Knight said:

For us it was the best (the most extended) beverage list from all cruises we've been on including Regent, Ponant (a French cruise line), Seabourn, Azamara.  Each bar and lounge have its own different list of wines, spirits, beers, Porto's.  I couldn't believe how many choices they have on this ship.  Tis ship actually has awards for this matter.

The Persian Garden is also outstanding!

Edited by kirtihk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Well that is one way to "look at things"!

I agree.

We have never chosen a cruise ship based on forward facing viewing areas. 😉

Personally, we prefer watching and listening to the wake from the Aft.

• Like 3

gee.. we are  now  "oldsters".. and been with X  for quite awhile. ( E+ .)

Among the loyalty perks we like are laundry,  internet minutes, a few drinks or parties, gelato, specialty  dining discount.  Not big drinkers or bar goers.

But we do spend money on the  X Excursions (only), specialty dining ,   lotsa spa,  now also Kerstase salon,  jewery , perfume shop and tee shirts!

So we are not exactly freeloading off our  loyalty perks. We did like QM 2 and may try Connie again..but now booked on E Class.  

we are not dumping X  just yet! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vagabond Knight said:

The M class is a class of medium sized vessels that have a Promenade Deck.

This is Huge. Outside access to see the ocean - like why would you cruise if not to see the ocean?

I have had many beverages on the Promenade of the Connie, Infinity, Millie etc. A great place to avoid people, relax, watch the waves, observe the wildlife - But NO, can not have that right cruise lines, you have to "manage" the customers to extract more $. Right cruise lines? So you got rid of the Promenade, right cruise lines?

Also, they have/used to have the Forward Lounge...not sure anymore.

Q - how does one observe the Panama Canal transit without a forward viewing area?

The ships today are inward looking, force you inwards to ensure you purchase drinks/stuff etc. This is the main objective of the cruise lines, $. Being on the ocean is not important any more.

Hence we only book the M class and we have moved onwards to Oceania where the R ships have a small promenade and well of course, the QM2, the best ocean view ship.

Hope this assists you. 

50 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

Even on X, we tell our attendant not to bother in the morning. For us, twice a day service is not necessary.

Oh, boy!!!  All such comments!!!.  For me breakfast is not necessary (at all).  I eat it on cruises, but I don't eat it otherwise; so, I easily can skip it on the ship (or eat it every other day).  Now... The cruise line will "listen to me" and ... Voilà!!! - No more breakfast or serving it just on even days...

Voyage, Voyage!!!

1 hour ago, QuestionEverything said:

The M class is a class of medium sized vessels that have a Promenade Deck.

This is Huge. Outside access to see the ocean - like why would you cruise if not to see the ocean?

I have had many beverages on the Promenade of the Connie, Infinity, Millie etc. A great place to avoid people, relax, watch the waves, observe the wildlife - But NO, can not have that right cruise lines, you have to "manage" the customers to extract more $. Right cruise lines? So you got rid of the Promenade, right cruise lines?

Also, they have/used to have the Forward Lounge...not sure anymore.

Q - how does one observe the Panama Canal transit without a forward viewing area?

The ships today are inward looking, force you inwards to ensure you purchase drinks/stuff etc. This is the main objective of the cruise lines, $. Being on the ocean is not important any more.

Hence we only book the M class and we have moved onwards to Oceania where the R ships have a small promenade and well of course, the QM2, the best ocean view ship.

Hope this assists you. 

I guess I'm confused why you don't like S class ships, given your reasoning.  They have a very nice, large forward facing lounge.  And I'm not sure if you would call it a Promenade Deck per se, but they have tons of space where you can walk around the deck above the pool deck and see the ocean, as well as the aft bars.  Not to mention your own balcony.    I've spent hours on my balcony on every class of ship enjoying watching the ocean and relaxing.  I agree that E class ships have lost a lot of what you speak of, but not liking S for that reason baffles me.  

I observed the Panama Canal transit just fine from the side railing, as well as from my own balcony.  It was on Infinity, which I know is an M class ship, but the forward areas were too crowded and extremely hot due to no shade so I found plenty of other areas.  And to answer your question - there are tons of reasons to cruise beyond "seeing the ocean".  I'm like you - I love to relax and watch the sea.  But not everyone is like that.  Many cruise for the ports, the beaches, the bars and shows onboard, etc..  In fact it has been my experience when sitting out on my balcony that only very rarely do I see anyone else doing the same.  They are either sitting out by the pool, or off in some inside venue.  So not sure seeing the ocean is top priority for many.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For Celebrity, only M-Class ships do the full transport of the PC.  We did it on Infinity like @phoenix_dream.  It is not about fitting into the locks, but fitting under the Bridge of the Americas on the Pacific side.  The Infinity had the Helipad open for good forward views for everybody.  But we mostly observed from our balcony in our cabin.  It was super hot and humid and being in the AC was nice.

On 6/10/2023 at 7:41 PM, kiterp said:

My recent cruise caused me to wonder about the direction Celebrity is headed. The Summit is a well maintained vessel with staff that is very friendly. The quality of the food was good.

There were, however, several areas of major concern. One, the dress code has become a total joke. Celebrity promotes itself as a "luxury" line but allows its passengers to dress inappropriately in various dining venues. Shorts, which are banned at dinner, were often noticed in the main dining room. Although tank tops and baseball caps are prohibited in the speciality dining rooms, patrons were wearing both when I ate in the Sushi on Five dining venue. Why have codes if they are never enforced? Two,they continue to downgrade the benefits offered to the Captain's Club higher tier members. They have a limited drink menu from 5 - 7 PM at the bars. This means you have about a 30 minute window to enjoy your benefit if you have the 5:30 PM seating. Wow, you spend tens of thousands of dollars for cruises and are given a 30 minute window! Three, they are beginning to recycle headliner entertainment. Three of the acts were the exact same ones we saw on the Constellation in February. Can't Celebrity offer a more diverse selection? Four, the entree selection number has been reduced as well as the serving sizes. Several nights saw only four selections for entrees when there used to be six or seven.

I am an Elite Plus CC member and this was my twentieth Celebrity cruise. I wonder if it is time to switch to Princess or other similar lines?

It sounds to me that for you, it is time to switch.

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

I guess I'm confused why you don't like S class ships, given your reasoning.  They have a very nice, large forward facing lounge.  And I'm not sure if you would call it a Promenade Deck per se, but they have tons of space where you can walk around the deck above the pool deck and see the ocean, as well as the aft bars.  Not to mention your own balcony.    I've spent hours on my balcony on every class of ship enjoying watching the ocean and relaxing.  I agree that E class ships have lost a lot of what you speak of, but not liking S for that reason baffles me.  

I observed the Panama Canal transit just fine from the side railing, as well as from my own balcony.  It was on Infinity, which I know is an M class ship, but the forward areas were too crowded and extremely hot due to no shade so I found plenty of other areas.  And to answer your question - there are tons of reasons to cruise beyond "seeing the ocean".  I'm like you - I love to relax and watch the sea.  But not everyone is like that.  Many cruise for the ports, the beaches, the bars and shows onboard, etc..  In fact it has been my experience when sitting out on my balcony that only very rarely do I see anyone else doing the same.  They are either sitting out by the pool, or off in some inside venue.  So not sure seeing the ocean is top priority for many.

Greetings!

I also love the S class, it is just the M class are smaller, more intimate, more connected to the sea. I have done the S class over the years and they are grand vessels. I will not patronize the E class ever.

Without a forward viewing point that is comfortable, we will not book a ship.

Everyone is different - our household prioritizes the sea and itineraries.

You provided a great post!

Kindest Regards.

1 hour ago, QuestionEverything said:

Greetings!

I also love the S class, it is just the M class are smaller, more intimate, more connected to the sea. I have done the S class over the years and they are grand vessels. I will not patronize the E class ever.

Without a forward viewing point that is comfortable, we will not book a ship.

Everyone is different - our household prioritizes the sea and itineraries.

You provided a great post!

Kindest Regards.

I feel the same way about the Edge class ships.

We sailed on the second voyage of Edge and the lack of a forward view lounge was a major turn off.

The M class ships never seem crowded even when sold out.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, kirtihk said:

Oh, boy!!!  All such comments!!!.  For me breakfast is not necessary (at all).  I eat it on cruises, but I don't eat it otherwise; so, I easily can skip it on the ship (or eat it every other day).  Now... The cruise line will "listen to me" and ... Voilà!!! - No more breakfast or serving it just on even days...

Voyage, Voyage!!!

Forgive me, but I don't understand this post at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

It meant: if I’m Spartan (simple life without requests for pleasure and convenience), it doesn’t mean everyone else must be the same way.  Another way to say it: on cruises one may expect a joy of full relaxation being away from daily routines and responsibilities.  Also paying above average fares yields “hope” for also above average treatment and service, and reduction of a such leads to a lack of desire to proceed with further loyalty with a brand that loosing its touch and charm.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, goofysmom99 said:

Hyperbole.

Precisely, and metaphor, too.  I’m originally from USSR (left in 1991); so, I’m used to such a language (a way to survive in the mad world).

I also can live without eating for a few days.  I, however, don’t propose it to practice during a cruise.

1 minute ago, kirtihk said:

It meant: if I’m Spartan (simple life without requests for pleasure and convenience), it doesn’t mean everyone else must be the same way.  Another way to say it: on cruises one may expect a joy of full relaxation being away from daily routines and responsibilities.  Also paying above average fares yields “hope” for also above average treatment and service, and reduction of a such leads to a lack of desire to proceed with further loyalty with a brand that loosing its touch and charm.

Well I can get my arms around that explanation so thank you. What I can’t get my arms around is why anyone would be so loyal to any single organization (business) when A) said business does not reciprocate such loyalty to its customers and B) when there are so many other quality products on the market from which to choose. 

I’ve had this very conversation with my parents on more than one occasion…to no avail. I think some people would rather complain about a product they know than move on to one they don’t. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Well I can get my arms around that explanation so thank you. What I can’t get my arms around is why anyone would be so loyal to any single organization (business) when A) said business does not reciprocate such loyalty to its customers and B) when there are so many other quality products on the market from which to choose. 

I’ve had this very conversation with my parents on more than one occasion…to no avail. I think some people would rather complain about a product they know than move on to one they don’t. 

That’s a whole different topic.

12 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Sardonic sarcasm....🤔?  After posting these terms, I thought I'd better google it......

"Sardonic and sarcastic both describe someone or something derisive. Sardonic suggests something mocking or cynical. Sarcastic generally has a layer of irony, while sardonic doesn’t."

Edited by Oceangoer2

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Sardonic sarcasm....🤔?  After posting these terms, I thought I'd better google it......

"Sardonic and sarcastic both describe someone or something derisive. Sardonic suggests something mocking or cynical. Sarcastic generally has a layer of irony, while sardonic doesn’t."

I don't think the person who replied to my comment was ether sardonic or sarcastic.

I have a "special" style of writing that might resides between ironical, sardonic, and sarcastic (not cynical, however); so, I always try to avoid latter two focusing on the former one (ironical).  I also write the way to be read "between lines".  Therefore, people who are not prepared often really don't understand my writing.

Voyage, Voyage, everyone!!!

• Like 1

On the topic, another dynamic I rarely see discussed are cocktail expectations.  When on X 

21 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

Even on X, we tell our attendant not to bother in the morning. For us, twice a day service is not necessary.

You're ahead of the curve because if X got rid of daily MDR chocolate cake and cheesecake, any day now X will go down to once a day service unless you're in a suite

• Like 1

17 hours ago, QuestionEverything said:

I also love the S class, it is just the M class are smaller, more intimate, more connected to the sea. I have done the S class over the years and they are grand vessels.....

I agree.  Besides the Sky Lounge, I like the 2 story glass wall in the MDR that looks out over the stern (like Century class).  I also like the ocean view mid-ship elevators.  And finally the portholes on the floor of the Oceanview Cafe that look down onto the ocean makes me laugh.

image.thumb.jpeg.9661fe99cc3b8450db5b9438ce86486f.jpeg

Constellation and Infinity enjoying the sun at Nassau on Nov 4, 2022

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I think some people would rather complain about a product they know than move on to one they don’t. 

Quite the sapient comment. Adding to that, if a person no longer feels recognized or appreciated for exhibiting fealty over the years, frustration, disappointment and perhaps a bit of anger can manifest themselves into a stream of conscience negativity. In the heat of the moment, complaints are easy to come by and express. And yet, what has been your comfort zone for so long still seems more attractive, in its less than perfect world, than something brand new that can create the stress and anxiety of experiencing the unknown. It is easy to complain and blame, not as easy to adapt and adjust. Therefore, perhaps moving on is necessary, if only for a brief moment in time in order to test the waters and realize where you fit best it the total cruising scheme. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

I don't think the person who replied to my comment was ether sardonic or sarcastic.

I have a "special" style of writing that might resides between ironical, sardonic, and sarcastic (not cynical, however); so, I always try to avoid latter two focusing on the former one (ironical).  I also write the way to be read "between lines".  Therefore, people who are not prepared often really don't understand my writing.

Voyage, Voyage, everyone!!!

I didn't mean Georgia Peaches was being sardonic/sarcastic re her comment "not understanding" yours at all;  it was an explanation for your  somewhat confusing/odd post. 

Edited by Oceangoer2