Do I really want to go on an Alaskan cruise?

DiscoingGD

Hello All,

I know the title is somewhat bold to put on the Alaskan sub-forum, but hear me out. I'm a lifelong Floridian that's enjoyed his 2 RCCL Caribbean cruises & has never seen snow, but always wanted to (even though I get uncomfortably cold in the 40s). I saw a great deal for an 8-day Alaskan cruise on RC (May 2024, only $100/day for a solo cabin), but I'm looking at the potential cons, which I'm hoping you can alleviate:

• From what I've heard $100/day is great for an Alaskan cruise, but it's pretty average for a Caribbean cruise, which I don't need to spend $500 to fly to. So, the way I'm looking at it, is this cruise worth an extra $500 to experience?
  • Average temps in May (according to Google) range from 56 degrees (sounds fantastic) to 42 at night (no bueno). There's almost 17 hours on sunlight in May, so can I assume the bulk of my day would at least be in the 50s? I know rain & clouds could make this vary drastically, but I'm sure some of you cruised there in May and can provide some anecdotal experiences.
  • I'm not an excursion guy. In the Caribbean, I enjoyed walking around a bit and then enjoyed the boat amenities while people were still out. In Alaska, I'm hoping there are scenic trails I can walk near every port (As a Floridian, I'm in awe of both the snow and mountains lol). In Juneau, for example, I'll take the public bus to Mendenhall Glacier and walk around there. I just don't know if every port has something like that, and if not, or if the weather's bad, I don't know if there's as much to do on the boat on Alaskan cruises vs Caribbean? I don't think I'd enjoy the Flowrider in Alaska, for example. Hot tubbing in the arctic sounds fun though! In short, am I missing the point of an Alaskan cruise if I just walk around and take in the scenery?

To conclude, I REALLY want to go, but not being used to that environment, I'm afraid of worst-case scenario that I'm just cold and miserable the whole time. Talk me into it please!

• Like 1

To experience the awesomeness of the scenery (the mountains are even grander when viewed in person), I'd go for the change of pace.

Weather will be your greatest variable, and frankly the biggest gamble. The trip reports for May this year showed a good number of sunny&70s days along with a fair share of gloomy,wet&50s days. And it wouldn't be unexpected to have both on the same day. You likely won't hit 40s except when close to glaciers or at night, though you can stay warm inside for those. Cold likely won't be your biggest issue, but a good chance of getting wet. Pack some good rain gear and you'll be fine. And know that the rain will be different than rain in Florida. Expect a steady drizzle more than a quick downpour.

Alaska cruises are perfect for walkers. In fact, on our next one we planning exactly what you're suggesting. Get the AllTrails app/website for lots of choices. You already have a good plan for Juneau. Through the app, we found some trails to try out in Skagway & Ketchikan. Both of which are also very fun, walkable towns with many cool shops, museums, and eat/drink establishments. In ISP you can do the short walk to Hoonah. It's a very scenic walk along the shore where we spotted whales and bald eagles our last time there.

I think that your question is not so much whether you want to go on an Alaska cruise, as much as it is whether you want to go to Alaska at all. Do you have much experience in traveling the world, other than the several Caribbean islands to which Florida cruise itineraries? My suspicion--based in part on never having seen snow--is not much. And that is really an issue because, unlike Florida where the vessel itself can be a big part of the Caribbean cruise experience, Alaska cruises are about the place rather than the vessel. And weather that is other than always warm and sunny is part of being in this region of the world. I detect some hesitation about visiting the places, and so to spend a substantial sum for an Alaska cruise, without knowing if you actually like traveling to distinct places is quite a risk. Perhaps a less expensive autumn or winter weekend trip to New England might present a useful gauge. Then judge. You should really know if you like visiting places that are different, and I would not want to talk you into going to Alaska otherwise, possibly having you suffer for a week or two being cold and miserable.

• Like 2

@joeflow80 I appreciate you selling me on it and providing those tips, especially the AllTrails!

@GTJ I appreciate your insight as well. As far as travel, I've been all around the contiguous US (mostly the east); It's just always been in the summer and early fall, so not much to adapt to. I just know that this winter in FL, we had a 2-day cold snap that was in the high 30s/low 40s, and going out for long periods was not pleasant (I'm sure the northerners that endured sub-zero temps are laughing). Perhaps with real winter apparel, I could endure the lower temps more comfortably, particularly something for my face/nose. If it's normally in the high 50s or low 60s though, that's my dream weather! Sound like it's a flip of the coin which one I'll get.

• Like 1

My weather sensibilities are quite the opposite: the ideal winter temperature for me is 20 degrees, where it is cold enough to keep the snow without it turning to slush, and warm enough so that one can stay outside all day as it is not frigid . . . but over 70 degrees I am uncomfortable and sweat. Thus, Alaska is, for the most part, ideal for me, but when going to the Caribbean I endure, not enjoy, the weather. But I will go to the Caribbean, for it is seeing the world, even though I am uncomfortable with the weather in doing so. So I think I have some of the same type of concerns as yours, just in reverse! So if you can bear with some cool days (it will be summer, so we're not really talking about cold days . . . and some days can even be warm), but your ambition is to see the world rather than bask in the weather, then I would encourage visiting Alaska. Just be prepared and don't expect a Caribbean cruise.

• Like 1

All I can say is that I never thought I would pay to go to Alaska. I ended up with a free cruise and decided to use it in Alaska, again, as I would never pay to go there.

I will pick Alaska over the Caribbean every time given a choice!

I love May in Alaska. The snow on the mountains is gorgeous.

Yes - Alaska is more expensive. They have a smaller season. It is worth it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I reluctantly went to Alaska my first time because my DH and DS's chose it as our family vacation.

I do feel a traveler should be excited for their destinations, for me it was about being with my family or it would have never happened BUT I loved it and now I can't get enough!  

Patty 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

First time to Alaska was 25 yrs. ago. My son and I booked an all inclusive trip snowmobiling along the Iditarod race for ten days. -50 deg. at night. Was great, no mosquitoes !!!!! Got hooked and have been going every year since, summer and winter. Have a place up there and will be up there mid July to end of Aug. Can't get enough !!

• Like 1

We went last August for the first time and loved it!  We are from SC so not used to cold weather either.  Make sure you take a raincoat/jacket in case your port days are rainy.  We also had waterproof hiking shoes (not boots).  We did not book any excursions, but instead walked around the port towns.  We did rent a car in Juneau and did the Mendenhall Glacier.   The ship itself won't be cold unless you are cruising thru glaciers and are outside on deck watching.   We enjoyed it so much we are going back again this August and this time we are booking a couple of excursions.

One thing - the excursions in Alaska ports are much more expensive that what you are used to in the Caribbean.  Having said this, in most ports there are things to do for reasonable prices if you are fit enough for some good hiking, etc.  Research the public transportation in your ports and you will find some good options (bus to Mendenhall in Juneau, Ketchikan bus to Totem Pole park, etc).

• Like 1

Question - is it the May 4 departure (from Vancouver) that calls at Sitka, Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan, before ending in Seattle? That was the only 8-day itinerary on Royal Caribbean I could find.

If so, a couple of things:  

That's very early in the season, so you aren't going to have a lot of competition from other vessels in the ports of call compared to later in the summer, when things can get pretty crowded.  

Looking at port times, it appears that that they're quite long in most of the towns visited.  That means that you'll be moving between ports at night, when temperatures outdoors will be at their coolest, but it won't matter on the ship.  And because it's early in the season, the ship won't call or do drive-bys of the most heavily visited tidewater glaciers, like Glacier Bay, the Hubbard Glacier in Yakutat Bay, or Tracy Arm; often access to these in the early spring can be limited by sea ice.  So the very chilly temperatures outdoors on the decks near those glaciers will be lessened.  The ship DOES call at Endicott Arm, where there are a couple of easily viewed tidewater glaciers, so bringing a suitable jacket (or using layers, which everybody does anyway) will be necessary.

For port calls, of course you can pass on the expensive excursions mounted by the cruise lines.  In Sitka (my favorite town in SE Alaska) you can wander around the picturesque town center, duck in for coffee or something stronger at any number of places, but if the weather is okay and you've done the "layer" thing, visits to the Alaska Raptor Center and the Fortress of the Bear (both places dedicated to rehabilitating orphaned or injured birds and bears) are very worthwhile.  

Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan will all have other ships present most likely.  You can certainly walk around the towns, or in the case of Ketchikan, ride the city bus for two bucks up to Totem Bight State Park, where you can experience the rain forest and learn about the indigenous Tlingit culture, both well worth your time and sacrifice in bundling up.

But look at it this way - out of 8 days you'd have 4 where some king of weather-appropriate clothing would be needed, and 4 where you can stay on the boat in the warm if you choose.  I don't think that's a bad tradeoff given the glory you'll see from the decks or out the windows.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't individually respond to everyone, but I appreciate you all sharing your experiences/tips, as well as some of your initial reluctances.

@Gardyloo It's that exact itinerary, but May 9 on the Ovation: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/itinerary/8-night-alaska-adventure-from-seattle-on-ovation/OV08YVR-1845325301#step=0 

Good point, half the cruise is on the boat whether you want it to be or not. I also watched a video tour of the ship and it looks like it has more partially covered semi-climate-controlled outdoor areas than the Caribbean ships.

• Like 1

I have literally never met a single person ever who, after cruising both AK and the Caribbean, does not rave about how much better the AK cruise was in all possible ways except 'beach bum' behaviours (as in, parking your bum on a beach to sunbathe etc. rather than being a bum!)

More expensive? Yes. But almost inevitably followed up by a statement along the lines of "I thought this was going to be a one and done but I will be back!"

Too Cold, Too Wet, Too Windy - all these complaints are actually addressed by the same thing, which is within your control... wear more appropriate clothing! A Florida winter isn't much different than an Alaskan spring (on our first Disneyworld trip the hotel fountain froze for several days!), and given your local summer rains you'll almost certainly have the perfect outer shell to build your layers - something waterproof but NOT insulated, so it keeps the rain and wind out without actually overheating you.

A couple of sensible sets of shirts & pants, a light fleece, whatever comfy footwear you wear in winter, some dollar store One Size Fits None gloves and beanie, and whatever your preferred sunhat at home is and you're good to cope with the conditions you'll face cruising in May by wearing some or all of those layers... and if you're doing an excursion that requires serious warm weather gear or special footwear - they provide it! Nobody wants a customer to suffer frostbite, except the Downtown Hotel in Dawson City Yukon of course... 😉

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DiscoingGD said:

To conclude, I REALLY want to go, but not being used to that environment, I'm afraid of worst-case scenario that I'm just cold and miserable the whole time. Talk me into it please!

Do it!  In my opinion, Alaska is the most beautiful state in the country.  I would never want to live there but nevertheless, it is stunning.  Kinda like Hawaii....you have to see it in person because pictures and videos cannot capture the true beauty. 

You mentioned the Flowrider so it sounds like you're looking at RCI's big ships that sail out of Seattle.  Certainly not a bad choice of ships, but not a great choice of itineraries.  I highly recommend you consider a cruise out of Vancouver that sails the Canadian Inside Passage.  Make sure it goes either to Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier.  The Seattle cruises tend to go to Dawes Glacier, but the ships never get anywhere close to it.  

Don't worry about being cold.  If it's cold, just go with it.  It's part of the experience.  My only advice (as a former Floridian of 20 years), just don't always overemphasize how cold you are because, well, "I'm from Florida."  I always make the joke that you always know when someone is from Florida because it's the first thing they tell you.  😁😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Going to Alaska was something my DH talked about doing all. The. Time. We finally made it a priority to go, and almost reluctantly, went on a cruise to Alaska...our plans always involved Denali or other wilderness adventures, and definitely NOT cruising...however, if it was ever going to happen, the cruise was one way to make it happen and we went in summer 2018. We did tack on a DIY camping+ adventure at the end of the cruise in the Kenai Peninsula and just fell in love with Alaska. So much so that when it was time to celebrate my milestone 50th birthday, we went to Fairbanks to enjoy some winter weather and catch the aurora borealis.

So I'm a HUGE fan of Alaska. 

Here's the deal...I was very happy with the range of excursions and activities that we had in ports and before and after our cruise...but my one comment following that cruise was that I could easily, EASILY just have a no excursions booked cruise to Alaska and spend my time basking in the greatness of the scenery and having a relaxing vacation getaway if I could match up some cheap airfare to some of these super inexpensive last minute Alaska deals...

That said, I think your potential cruise itinerary is FABULOUS. Now some might bemoan the fact that you aren't going to Hubbard or Glacier Bay...and it's true that the Endicott/Dawes isn't nearly as spectacular as those options...BUT...in all other respects, this is a GREAT port schedule. I am jealous for this port schedule.

First, Vancouver is a wonderful city. It's a major metro but seaside with mountains in the distance...absolutely LOVELY...and so much to do and see there if you want to add a few days there before you get onboard. The sailaway under the bridge and up the interior passage is so scenic.

And this is the truth of the inside passage. In the Caribbean, in the times between ports, the views aren't so scenic...don't get me wrong...the ocean is beautiful and it can be serene to sit with the view and if you are able to hear the water...and maybe look for some sea life...all special in it's own way but this is nothing compared to the views that you get sailing the inside passage in Alaska where the shoreline is almost always in sight and you can just sit on the ship and look and look and look at all the different things you can look at and look for. On our cruise...I couldn't tear myself away from the Skagway sailaway...it was SPECTACULAR. Even in June...the snow capped peaks...the hanging glaciers...there's a church lighthouse thing...double rainbow...wildlife...the town winking out of sight. I just stayed at the sunset bar and soaked it all in.

While many will say that it would be a waste to go to Alaska without major excursions planned, you do not have to have anything major planned at all. If I were going on the most low cost plan possible, in Ketchikan, I might check out Creek St again. We did and then hiked up the Married Man's trail to the lodge at the top where there's a lovely view as well as a circle of excellent totems...but I might take the bus to take in more scenery and head out to the park where there are more totems...I can't recall the name right now. I would definitely eat the salmon chowder at the Fish House restaurant again because on a real, it's the best I've ever had. In Juneau, I might still rent a car because we were able to see so much that way and we still didn't get down to St Helen's...but you could easily take the bus out to Mendenhall (you have to walk more than taking the shuttle but it's cheaper). Juneau is a much larger city and so you will need transportation there to really see more of the town. There is an Alaska Heritage type museum or some such there as well...that's nominally priced... Point being...many inexpensive options. In Skagway, we just toured the town itself and did some hiking. Skagway itself is a picture perfect old west town that looks like something straight out of Disney except that it's REAL. There are many, many trails right there. Sitka may be a more popular port now but when I was researching before, it wasn't common on itineraries...and I think it would be a treat to go there for that reason. Apparently there's a lot of Russian influence still present in the town from back in the day and it's not supposed to feel as touristy. 

To end in Seattle, doing a repositioning cruise is wonderful. Most cruises that end there begin there and so there is often a port stop in Victoria that feels like a why bother but it's required to have an international port so they stop there. Since it starts in Vancouver, you don't have to have that often evening stop that is challenging to make feel worth while.

So I think you've found a great itinerary...and if the price is right then I would jump on it. The weather is a crap shoot up there and no matter what the forecast says, you'll want layers but the truth is that you are not going there in the winter...it's spring and generally people are bringing the big winter wear for the glacier cruising days.

There's nothing quite like the mountains and the sea of Alaska...you hear about how beautiful it is but until you see it. The rocky mountains are magnificent in their tree line tundra glory where the mountain is exposed and there's no vegetation to detract from their crisp silhouette...something that no mountain on the east coast has in my current experience over here...and if you've seen that...now picture the ocean at the base of the mountains...no foothills...no rolling landscape at their base...basically just the ocean there at their feet...that's Alaska and it's definitely worth seeing.

• Like 6

You’ll never know unless you try it.  Waterproof your shoes, pack some layers and rain coat or poncho, and give it a try!  Its a completely different experience than a Caribbean cruise, and all about the scenery.  Photos and videos don’t do it justice.  Its just magical. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little late to this topic, but wanted to chime in.  We just got back from a June Northbound sailing on Majestic Princess, followed by a 5 day landtour in Denali.  

Up front - I would highly recommend anyone who has never gone to Alaska to go.  This was our first time there and it was amazing.  

Depending on your line and itinerary you might never even have to get off the boat, if your sailing sails through the Straights and past the Glaciers and Fjords.  I’ll punt on the specific ports because we haven’t been to all of them and the ones we did, this was our first time.  

As someone who also lives in Florida, we thought we were preparing ourselves by buying a bunch of long sleeve shirts, sweatshirts, and hiking pants.  Even with all that, we were unprepared for the ~ 40 degrees drop in temperature.  I was cold every day on the ship.  But, seeing wildlife in their natural environments (gators and turtles aside), and the nature of the Alaskan wilderness was worth it for me.  

The inconvenience of flying cross country, when you can just drive, or even Uber to a Florida port for a cruise, was also a pain.  

My recommendation specifically to you is do an Alaskan cruise, but don’t do any landtour add-ons.  I probably wouldn’t recommend the specific one you are looking at if you aren’t going to experience the ship sailing into the bays to see the glaciers because it’s too early in the season.  Those cruising days were one the bigger highlights on our trip because we could experience Alaska while still being on the ship in a warmer location.   The experiences of Alaska your first time is worth the effort.  

That said, now that I have experienced the awesomeness of my first Alaskan cruise, I’ll pick any Caribbean cruise over a second Alaskan cruise primarily because of convenience and cost of getting to the port, not needing to pay for a hotel before the cruise, and the weather.  But, go to Alaska if you haven’t done it yet - you won’t regret it.  

• Thanks 1