Guarantee assignment

seachelt

What is the latest that you have received your stateroom number with a guarantee booking?

We are on the Insignia in September, and got an upgrade from a B2 balcony to an A2 concierge guarantee.

i know that the stateroom confirmation can come at any time up until departure, but could anyone share their experience with this please.

thank you.

seachelt

My first Oceania cruise was in a GTY PH cabin. We got our assignment on Monday before we boarded on that Saturday. Great cabin. Got a PH1. Just got tags from the porters for our suitcases. Julia

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We are on Vista in a GTY in October. I called yesterday and was told it would probably be the week before the cruise unless we wanted to pay to buy out the guarantee. We normally NEVER do any kind of guarantee (first time in 35 cruises) but we had to because that was all that was left when we booked. 

• Like 2

I have a PH3  Guarantee on a November 9, 2023 departure for a 10 day Mediterranean Cruise.  I actually have two PH3 Guarantees.  Currently, the sailing has most stateroom categories as sold out/Waitlist.  PH3 is Waitlist, PH2 is Waitlist and PH1 is available with 6 suites.

It seemed this shop sold a bunch of cabins with a four category upgrade and the Extraordinary sale. It seems that Oceania will be changing their pricing as of July 1, 2023, 10 days from now.  In addition to the 6 PH1 available, Vista Suites have 2 available and Owners Suites has 3 available. 

Here are my assumptions based on common sense, not experience with Oceania.  Prior to August 11, 2023 which is the final payment date, some folks will cancel their reservations.  Even though they will lose some of their deposits.  The sale will be over on July 1, 2023 however I would assume, key word assume the PH1 will sell by then.  If all PH categories are sold out with full payment, what happens to my two PH3 Guarantees.  I think you can see where I am going with this question.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

6 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I have a PH3  Guarantee on a November 9, 2023 departure for a 10 day Mediterranean Cruise.  I actually have two PH3 Guarantees.  Currently, the sailing has most stateroom categories as sold out/Waitlist.  PH3 is Waitlist, PH2 is Waitlist and PH1 is available with 6 suites.

It seemed this shop sold a bunch of cabins with a four category upgrade and the Extraordinary sale. It seems that Oceania will be changing their pricing as of July 1, 2023, 10 days from now.  In addition to the 6 PH1 available, Vista Suites have 2 available and Owners Suites has 3 available. 

Here are my assumptions based on common sense, not experience with Oceania.  Prior to August 11, 2023 which is the final payment date, some folks will cancel their reservations.  Even though they will lose some of their deposits.  The sale will be over on July 1, 2023 however I would assume, key word assume the PH1 will sell by then.  If all PH categories are sold out with full payment, what happens to my two PH3 Guarantees.  I think you can see where I am going with this question.

That's a question for a TA.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

If you have a GTY  you will be on the ship someplace

If all PH sellout   they will make offers to pax to move off the sailing 

They  may offer upsells to the suites or downsells if lower categories are still open

If people are going to cancel they should do it a month before final payment so they do not lose  their deposit  (not everyone reads the fine print )

You do not need to take the new  perk that is coming  July 1st  unless you want to

JMO

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I obviously have no idea what will happen in your particular case/your specific cruise.

However, I assume it is a situation like this (or somewhat similar somehow) that can lead Oceania to make some relatively (or very!) appealing offers for some people with confirmed reservations on a particular cruise in a particular category if they will switch to a different cruise.  That would free up something in the "needed" categories.

Having an offer like that has been discussed a few times here on CC.

We had an offer once that was quite amazing from a financial perspective.  O offered to "trade" us for our PH on a cruise for a longer cruise on a different date and itinerary, for a swap that also included very attractive additional financial benefit to us, beyond just the switcheroo.

Alas, we were not interest in the newly offered cruise or couldn't travel then (I'm forgetting the reason we turned them down), which was really a shame.  If we could have, we certainly would have made a change like that, unless we were traveling with others, which we rarely do.  Even if we needed to coordinate with some land-based travel, we could still have done the land part and just replaced the cruise with something later.

Or maybe there'd be a very special upgrade for some lucky folks, depending upon what remains or becomes available...!

GC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

Despite you’re new to Oceania you probably noticed that some PH locations are less desirable than others. Unless no specific cabins are available, staying in the same priced (unlike the other lines) PH Guarantee don’t always work to your advantage. Full suite upgrades are very rare if ever. More likely Oceania will find the way to accommodate you in your quarantine category and the location may not be what you’d like.

All cruises are different and hopefully at the end you’ll be satisfied with your assessment.

Edited by osandomir
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, osandomir said:

Despite you’re new to Oceania you probably noticed that some PH locations are less desirable than others. Unless no specific cabins are available, staying in the same priced (unlike the other lines) PH Guarantee don’t always work to your advantage. Full suite upgrades are very rare if ever. More likely Oceania will find the way to accommodate you in your quarantine category and the location may not be what you’d like.

All cruises are different and hopefully at the end you’ll be satisfied with your assessment.

• Thanks 1

Just now, SATaxman said:

First cruise on Oceania this Fall. Tell me how "bad" some locations of PH are, vs. the ones that are "great". Thanks I see the difference between PH1,2,3 in pricing. Still do not understand the difference in location. Thanks

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

First cruise on Oceania this Fall. Tell me how "bad" some locations of PH are, vs. the ones that are "great". Thanks I see the difference between PH1,2,3 in pricing. Still do not understand the difference in location. Thanks

I didn’t say any of PH are “bad”. Unless you asked about a specific cabin, it’s impossible to tell about all PHs on all ships. The locations are different depending on the R- or O class of the Oceania ships. Most of the suits are located under the public areas, some cabins also in the very front or the back of the ship. You’d need to look at the deck plans to find out if it’s important to you not to be under the gym, restaurants etc.

36 minutes ago, osandomir said:

I didn’t say any of PH are “bad”. Unless you asked about a specific cabin, it’s impossible to tell about all PHs on all ships. The locations are different depending on the R- or O class of the Oceania ships. Most of the suits are located under the public areas, some cabins also in the very front or the back of the ship. You’d need to look at the deck plans to find out if it’s important to you not to be under the gym, restaurants etc.

There are several reasons that some people may prefer certain locations for cabins or suites when they are in the same "category" (cabins for cabins, suites for suites, of course).   There can be less motion in the mid areas of the ship, and also on lower decks. OTOH, some people prefer the view foreward or aft.

Another reason is whether someone wants to be "closer" to some amenity, be it a lounge (e.g., the Executive Lounge) or less walking to the MDR or something.

Trying to avoid noise is often an important reason to select certain areas, for sure!

GC

• Like 1

By the way LHT28, Oceania made a change to their cancellation policy and it is now 181 days prior to your in order to save losing the admin. fee.  And I do mean lose, as you used to have a year to use it on another cruise and that’s been taken away. 
image.thumb.png.02ef0182dfb74bf13eb45c5e69c21907.png

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

If you have a GTY  you will be on the ship someplace

If all PH sellout   they will make offers to pax to move off the sailing 

They  may offer upsells to the suites or downsells if lower categories are still open

If people are going to cancel they should do it a month before final payment so they do not lose  their deposit  (not everyone reads the fine print )

You do not need to take the new  perk that is coming  July 1st  unless you want to

JMO

Hi LHT28, I forgot to link to your post but I commented that the cancellation policy is now a minimum of 181 days depending on your stateroom category and no longer a chance to use the admin fee on another booking. 

25 minutes ago, See_More said:

Hi LHT28, I forgot to link to your post but I commented that the cancellation policy is now a minimum of 181 days depending on your stateroom category and no longer a chance to use the admin fee on another booking. 

The admin fee has not been available  to transfer to new booking  for  a while

Also just noticed  they have changed some of the cancellation penalties as of April  2023

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005306234-What-is-your-cancellation-and-refund-policy-

The following cancellation charges will be assessed for all written cancellations received up to the scheduled time of departure.

Cruises of less than 15 days: 

DAYS PRIOR TO CRUISE SAIL DATE - CANCELLATION AMOUNT 

180-91 Days Prior - 10% of Fare - $250 Admin Fee pp
90-76 Days Prior - 25% of Fare 
75-61 Days Prior - 50% of Fare 
60-31 Days Prior - 75% of Fare 
30-0 Days Prior - 100% of Fare 

Cruises 15 days or more except 180-Day Voyages: 

DAYS PRIOR TO CRUISE SAIL DATE - CANCELLATION AMOUNT 
151-180 Days Prior - $250 per guest administrative fee+
121-150 Days Prior - 25% of Fare 
91-120 Days Prior - 50% of Fare 
61-90 Days Prior - 75% of Fare 
0-60 Days Prior - 100% of Fare

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SATaxman said:

Simply stated, the PH1’s will be in the center of the ship. Phs 2 the next group of rooms moving forward and aft. The Ph3’s at the extreme forward and aft. There are exceptions to this and deck level also comes into play, but this is the basic concept. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/14/2023 at 2:16 AM, seachelt said:

What is the latest that you have received your stateroom number with a guarantee booking?

We are on the Insignia in September, and got an upgrade from a B2 balcony to an A2 concierge guarantee.

i know that the stateroom confirmation can come at any time up until departure, but could anyone share their experience with this please.

thank you.

seachelt

On our recent cruise we were initially in the Guaranteed category but received our Stateroom assignment approximately one week or so prior to Final Paymemt date. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EJL2023 said:

On our recent cruise we were initially in the Guaranteed category but received our Stateroom assignment approximately one week or so prior to Final Paymemt date. 

That is both good and interesting information. Most folks say their guarantee suites are fulfilled a week prior to embarkation. Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

Cruise well, and enjoy every moment

4 hours ago, EJL2023 said:

Thanks very much for sharing your experience! Tomorrow is final payment (although we paid 💲💲 in full 2 weeks ago), so we will keep checking✔️

Also thanks to others for your reassurance that with a guarantee we will in fact be aboard🛳️

Seachelt

• Like 1

On 6/20/2023 at 4:23 PM, GeezerCouple said:

I obviously have no idea what will happen in your particular case/your specific cruise.

However, I assume it is a situation like this (or somewhat similar somehow) that can lead Oceania to make some relatively (or very!) appealing offers for some people with confirmed reservations on a particular cruise in a particular category if they will switch to a different cruise.  That would free up something in the "needed" categories.

Having an offer like that has been discussed a few times here on CC.

We had an offer once that was quite amazing from a financial perspective.  O offered to "trade" us for our PH on a cruise for a longer cruise on a different date and itinerary, for a swap that also included very attractive additional financial benefit to us, beyond just the switcheroo.

Alas, we were not interest in the newly offered cruise or couldn't travel then (I'm forgetting the reason we turned them down), which was really a shame.  If we could have, we certainly would have made a change like that, unless we were traveling with others, which we rarely do.  Even if we needed to coordinate with some land-based travel, we could still have done the land part and just replaced the cruise with something later.

Or maybe there'd be a very special upgrade for some lucky folks, depending upon what remains or becomes available...!

GC

I came back to read your post again.  Everyone has been so open and kind with their remarks.  I think always using common business sense is a good practice.  In my situation, If I were "O", if all the PH suites were paid in full, all the suite below the PH were waitlisted and paid in full, the only suite open were above a PH.  I would offer an fare and reasonable upgrade offer to the most loyal "O" guests in the PH suites. Those loyal guest should always gain the upgrades.  Loyalty is so rare in our world.  

To your specific situation.  If it were offered to most folks, like you, they would have to turn it down.  Airfare issue, vacation issue and just plain hassle issue. I would recommend "O" does not offer that situation to me. Both our airfares are fully refundable, changeable and cancellable.  That kind of off reminds me of decades flying weekly with Delta. I was going from Birmingham, AL to LAX every single Sunday night and back on the last flight on Friday night.  This was for years.  On occasion, flight issues would happen and the Delta Flight vouchers would happen.  Those were the days. 

Cruising on the other hand has so many variable that even if a ship staterooms were all showing Waitlist, folks cancel all the time up to the last second for lots of reason.  For me and my guest, we are simply glad to be on the voyage, any PH cabin would be fine.  Still, I am happy to have a Guarantee.  It gives me something to think and dream about.  Attitude is everything in this crazy world.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1

A Guarantee is a Guarantee for O in my experience. That is when at the last minute people at the effected Stateroom Level can receive offers with cash or credit involved to step back from their booked rooms so that Guaranteed guest can be accommodated. I mentioned before, We moved from a A-2 to a B-2 and received a $2500+ check so they bend over backwards to make everyone happy in these situations. We have even given up our sailing and pushed off the replacement offer to the following year. This can happen with all the Alumni Clubs and agencies involved. Just be ready to accept or reject offers because everyone has a price they will make changes for, or maybe not. 
Ciao,

Mauibabes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

I came back to read your post again.  Everyone has been so open and kind with their remarks.  I think always using common business sense is a good practice.  In my situation, If I were "O", if all the PH suites were paid in full, all the suite below the PH were waitlisted and paid in full, the only suite open were above a PH.  I would offer an fare and reasonable upgrade offer to the most loyal "O" guests in the PH suites. Those loyal guest should always gain the upgrades.  Loyalty is so rare in our world.  

If  offers are being made  you can decline  them

You do not have to accept the offer

Oceania will just continue  to make offers until they clear the  lists

If you want the offer  accept it  ASAP  because they are not waiting for you to make a decision

1st to reply will get the deal 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Since other will have questions on how "Guarantee Staterooms" transitioned, allow me to create a real-time outline for those searching this topic in the future.  If my history on cruising serves me, just because this is happening now, does not support it will happen in the future.  Just interesting to watch this transition. 

Below is what my cruise looks like right now.  It is 138 days away.  Final billing is August 11, 2023 which is about 45 days away.  

image.png.4cfaca8053db87c70e6d5958047bb119.png

We are in a PH3 Guarantee.  I have paid my final payment two month prior to the deadline so my group of two Penthouses is paid in full.  I have reached out to my travel agent and said I would be interested in a discounted upgrade paid opportunity.  I have had great success with this on other brands.  The alternative is just wait and see.

I got everyone's thoughts on how this comes down.  I fully get what everyone is saying.  Logic tells me offers will be given to the most loyal guest first.  I have no expectations simply enjoying how processes like this work out.  Again, just a real time view of this single situation.  

37 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

We are in a PH3 Guarantee.  I have paid my final payment two month prior to the deadline so my group of two Penthouses is paid in full.  I have reached out to my travel agent and said I would be interested in a discounted upgrade paid opportunity.  I have had great success with this on other brands.  The alternative is just wait and see.

I got everyone's thoughts on how this comes down.  I fully get what everyone is saying.  Logic tells me offers will be given to the most loyal guest first.  I have no expectations simply enjoying how processes like this work out.  Again, just a real time view of this single situation.  

It may not be real time

When I was looking for  a specific category cabin it said "available " in the same view you posted

I contacted my TA  she checked   none available  but the website still said yes it was

I went a step further  & clicked through  to see what cabins  were listed   NONE  in the category   but still showed available  on the main screen

You can let your  TA know you are open for  a paid upgrade  which you did    now  you wait  unless your TA is more aggressive & makes a offer  for you

Be sure  to give the TA the amount you are will to spend for the upgrade to the Category  so they can make an offer to O

JMO