For All of You Griping About Cutbacks on Carnival....

staceyglow

58 minutes ago, RD64 said:

I am confused. Butter packets are an upgrade?

I've noticed at my Kroger that the soft margarine has doubled in price but butter is often on sale. I'm sure price has something to do with it. Butter is cheaper now. 

I'll take either. Even cold. 

On 6/16/2023 at 5:26 PM, JoeMo said:

On the Mardi Gras and Jubilee we would sit down in the MDR and set the (wrapped) butter pats on our plate hoping they softened before the bread arrived. Our little game which became a small part of the Great Adventure called cruising.

My husband, who is my personal space heater, holds the wrapped butter packets in his hand for a few seconds to "defrost" it for each of us! LOL! 😂

• Like 5

On 6/15/2023 at 7:17 AM, teknoge3k said:

The bad part is, they will still probably be frozen. Nothing like trying to put a frozen brick on a lukewarm piece of bread. 

If the bread was warm to begin with then the frozen brick would be a bit more pliable . . . 

On 6/15/2023 at 7:17 AM, teknoge3k said:

The bad part is, they will still probably be frozen. Nothing like trying to put a frozen brick on a lukewarm piece of bread. 

If the bread was warm to begin with then the frozen brick would be a bit more pliable . . . 

3 hours ago, StephPS79 said:

Is the expectation to really be served warm bread in the MDR on Carnival cruise line?  If so, and that is the standard for level of expectation, I can see why a lot of people may be disappointed...

True! We're talking Carnival not Waffle House...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, icft said:

It's probably way easier to serve warm bread at a Waffle House. They just have to turn around and give it to one of the 8 or 10 people at the counter, as opposed to serving hundreds (if not thousands) of people from a galley on a different deck. 

Besides, I wasn't aware that bread is always supposed to be served hot. I have been to 5-star restaurants that served room-temperature bread. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, staceyglow said:

It's probably way easier to serve warm bread at a Waffle House. They just have to turn around and give it to one of the 8 or 10 people at the counter, as opposed to serving hundreds (if not thousands) of people from a galley on a different deck. 

Besides, I wasn't aware that bread is always supposed to be served hot. I have been to 5-star restaurants that served room-temperature bread. 

That practicality is pretty much what made it a facetious remark. It is one of those interesting quirks that short order diners can often out perform mid-level restaurants in quality and service, albeit with limited selection.

Any restaurant with five stars that serves room temperature bread must have bought its stars. The bread in any starred restaurant should come wrapped in a bread warming blanket (even lesser restaurants usually wrap it in a napkin) to keep it warm.

• Like 2

On 6/19/2023 at 4:45 AM, arh0117 said:

My husband, who is my personal space heater, holds the wrapped butter packets in his hand for a few seconds to "defrost" it for each of us! LOL! 😂

Ha Ha I put them in my pants pocket as soon as I sit down

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 6/19/2023 at 5:51 PM, icft said:

Jesus if Carnival could bring the dining experience back UP to Waffle House standards, THAT would be a change worth getting excited about.

Switching from margarine to butter is not.

Edited by bguppies
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bguppies said:

Jesus if Carnival could bring the dining experience back UP to Waffle House standards, THAT would be a change worth getting excited about.

Switching from margarine to butter is not.

I doubt he has anything to do with the butter situation.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 6/14/2023 at 9:23 PM, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Was the whipped butter real butter or a butter oil mix? 

On 6/14/2023 at 10:18 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

According to previous posts, it's simply margarine

The "whipped butter" was just that - butter put into a mixer, with some water added as a softening agent, and whipped.  We used to do this a restaurant where I worked.  It just makes the butter way more spreadable, and it goes further because the whipped version has more volume that the solid one, so you spread less actual butter while still getting good coverage.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2023 at 11:19 AM, ctkathchick said:

That is correct it was margarine and it tasted horrible. Lol only eat butter.

Sorry, I missed this when posting the other reply just now.  Carnival (via John Heald, perhaps) stated all along the whipped butter was indeed actual butter, and I have had more than enough margarine in my life to note that the whipped butter, at least in every case I tried it, was indeed butter.

How did you conclude it was margarine?

4 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

The "whipped butter" was just that - butter put into a mixer, with some water added as a softening agent, and whipped.  We used to do this a restaurant where I worked.  It just makes the butter way more spreadable, and it goes further because the whipped version has more volume that the solid one, so you spread less actual butter while still getting good coverage.

Correct but that's assuming they were using REAL butter before which seems doubtful as multiple sources stated it wasn't and even on John's post he said "real" butter

21 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Correct but that's assuming they were using REAL butter before which seems doubtful as multiple sources stated it wasn't and even on John's post he said "real" butter

Carnival butter or real butter, the question itself speaks volumes... 🤣

4 minutes ago, icft said:

Carnival butter or real butter, the question itself speaks volumes... 🤣

The actual critiquing of bread spread speaks a lot louder to me.

I can't say I've ever been out to a dinner and put so much thought into what I was spreading on my bread, as has been discussed here.  I just spread and enjoy.

• Like 1