COST OF CELEBRITY INSURANCE

jamscckmc

Very surprised at the cost of Celebrity’s cruise insurance for the retreat. We are in the cheapest suite. We usually buy the cruise insurance when reasonable. I’m guessing there’s better options out there. Anyone find a good company that will cover air and cruise cheaper than Celebrity’s plan?

insuremytrip.com is another website that allows you to compare multiple companies at once.

I personally have never purchased the cruise line insurance because I have always found better coverage for the same or less elsewhere.

Thanks all, from my experience, many of us who post here on CC do not realize that there are many other helpful forums that go a long way to support our cruise vacations... with some great info and input provided by professional/experienced cruisers...

Once I started looking around CC and found other forums it became part of my routine to find out what else I might be missing in terms of cruising...

Thank you for sharing, hopefully others who read this thread will take a gander as to what else CC has to offer in terms of good info that help us make good informed decisions...

The insurance forum is one of many, for sure, that have supportive and experienced posters just like here on X's forum.

bon voyage

• Like 2

The older you are, the more the travel insurance costs. We now go with X's insurance as others are way too much for us in our 80's. Celebrity's insurance is based on the cost of the cruise, not age. We now only travel in the Caribbean. 

Edited by 39august
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Normally we take 7-8 night cruises in a balcony and fly coach. This cruise is a BTB Australia to NZ and then Australia which is 21 days total. We are doing pre and post hotels, staying in a SS and flying business. When I put in the length and cost on insure my trip I’m in sticker shock! For those of you that have done a long overseas trip, is $4000-$5000 normal? We are in our 60’s without preexisting conditions.

Looked at the yearly insurance but it looks like you have to have this in place before you book your trip.

Edited by jamscckmc
Misspelling

47 minutes ago, jamscckmc said:

Thanks for the replies. Normally we take 7-8 night cruises in a balcony and fly coach. This cruise is a BTB Australia to NZ and then Australia which is 21 days total. We are doing pre and post hotels, staying in a SS and flying business. When I put in the length and cost on insure my trip I’m in sticker shock! For those of you that have done a long overseas trip, is $4000-$5000 normal? We are in our 60’s without preexisting conditions.

Looked at the yearly insurance but it looks like you have to have this in place before you book your trip.

That seems very high, but it is based on cost of trip and age.  I know for my TA next year and my extra 2 weeks in Italy I was around 700ish for coverage to I totally forgot i had upgraded my Chase to Sapphire which covers the trip and just added a yearly med plan thru geoblue for 200 to have better med coverage, have multiple trips planned over the next year.  

Edited by bikerunner
  • Thanks 2

Check to see if your credit card offers travel coverage.  Ours does that covers trip cancellation ( not CFAR) we also have had an annual Allianz policy which provides some medical coverage which supplements our own medical plan as well as emergency evacuation.  
We haven’t traveled from from the US recently but will be so will be adding MedJet Assist.  This combination provides a good amount of coverage for all our trips for less than $2,000 per year.  

• Thanks 1

We are getting VERY close to 60 years old and go with Travel Guard. The few times we have had to use them there was no issue. This is my wife's area of expertise. She will go to the comparison sites to make here decision to make sure Travel Guard is the best for us and then she reads ALL of the fine print.

God bless her.

15 hours ago, jamscckmc said:

Very surprised at the cost of Celebrity’s cruise insurance for the retreat. We are in the cheapest suite. We usually buy the cruise insurance when reasonable. I’m guessing there’s better options out there. Anyone find a good company that will cover air and cruise cheaper than Celebrity’s plan?

Note that most alternative insurance providers include coverage for financial default of your primary vendors (e.g. airlines and cruise lines) while cruise line insurances do not cover their own financial default.  Rather low probability of bankruptcy now, but was not that low a couple of years ago.

I use Allianz.  It is an annual plan that covers  the medical portion and some other travel expenses.

For me the cost of the cruise is dead money.  It is paid for and gone.  I am more concerned about the catastrophic medical cost.   Medicare doesn’t anything outside of the USA except for the one time $50,000 allowance.   Supplement insurance will only supplement what Medicare covers. If Medicare doesn’t cover it the supplemental doesn’t either.  Medicare will cover anything that happens within 4 hours of leaving a U.S. port when traveling on a cruise ship.  

I had to go to emergency room driving home from Fl to Mi a few years ago.  I was blacking out.  I was in there for about 5 hours as they ran a lot of tests.  They couldn’t really find anything.  They told me everything looked good and didn’t know the problem.  Was advised to see my regular doctor at home. 

The bills for all of that was almost $75,000.   I have a medigap policy and didn’t have to pay anything.  

A few months later I stumbled on the cause.  I would get sick when ever I drank water out of a refillable Polar water bottle.  The closable top was black and under the lip was a some mold that I didn’t see.  I was getting sick from that.   I am now very cautious when using a refillable bottle.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched