Bergen Funicular

1 hour ago, hallasm said:

It is absolutely possible to walk.

Depending on which terminal it is 1.2 or 1.8 km (15 to 20 minute walk).
Best time depends on weather and temperature. Decide on the time of day.

@hallasm

Thank you for your response. 

We figure we can look at the city on the walk over. Do you know if you can purchase funicular tickets on-site when we arrive? 

It is easy to wander through Bergen and at the same time get a good impression of the city - also visit Bryggen wharf and the fish market.
Tickets can be bought at the Fløibanen funicular but there can be a long queue - if possible buy tickets online or use their App when you know what the weather will be like.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, hallasm said:

It is easy to wander through Bergen and at the same time get a good impression of the city - also visit Bryggen wharf and the fish market.
Tickets can be bought at the Fløibanen funicular but there can be a long queue - if possible buy tickets online or use their App when you know what the weather will be like.

Agree with you on the long lines, but we have gone early in the morning and had no lines. We like to take the funicular up, have coffee and then either hike/ walk up top or hike back to town/ship. Makes for a lovely half day outing….if the weather is good and not foggy.

• Thanks 2

Cruise ships use two berth areas in Bergen but both are less than a mile from the 'low station' for the funic'

image.thumb.png.0ded9a3d5bac045ac8811460795f76e3.png

BIG ships tend to be on the orange line ... smaller ships yellow (where we were on our last VIKING OCEAN visit) and I've seen medium (ALDI) at the berth just northeast of my yellow line.  We've never pre-booked the F' .... even on the busiest days the line while looking BIG wasn't that bad ...

IMG_1102.thumb.JPG.524935e8c07b5ef422c13058f5a2096f.JPG

very busy mid summer day at the top of the F" with a VIKING ship at the pier center . . 

IMG_0304.thumb.JPG.e2861a02b852949261106bd3b8439a85.JPG

and an off season late in the day ride .....

8 hours ago, Ladybug18 said:

We will be on the NCL Prima so I would imagine we will be docked on your orange line. 

NCL Prima calls at both terminals - size does not matter. Post date if you want to know the resting terminal.

42 minutes ago, Ladybug18 said:

we will be in Bergen on July 20th

NCL Prima Will Dock at Jekteviksterminalen 2 at 07:00 - departure already 16:00

Jekteviksterminalen 2 Is the yellow and shortest route. On your way you’ll pass by the Bryggen Wharf.

29 minutes ago, hallasm said:

NCL Prima Will Dock at Jekteviksterminalen 2 at 07:00 - departure already 16:00

Jekteviksterminalen 2 Is the yellow and shortest route. On your way you’ll pass by the Bryggen Wharf.

Fantastic, thank you!! I like that we will be docked where the route is shorter 🙂 We definitely want to check out the Bruggen Wharf so it will be great to walk by it on our way to the Funicular. Depending on the weather I think we’ll go to the Funicular first and then explore afterwards. 

25 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Thank you, not only for this answer to my specific question, but also for all you contribute to this specific forum.

Thank you. I'm happy to be able to give something back - I've used CC myself with great success when planning my own cruises.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

Cruise ships use two berth areas in Bergen but both are less than a mile from the 'low station' for the funic'

image.thumb.png.0ded9a3d5bac045ac8811460795f76e3.png

BIG ships tend to be on the orange line ... smaller ships yellow (where we were on our last VIKING OCEAN visit) and I've seen medium (ALDI) at the berth just northeast of my yellow line.  We've never pre-booked the F' .... even on the busiest days the line while looking BIG wasn't that bad ...

IMG_1102.thumb.JPG.524935e8c07b5ef422c13058f5a2096f.JPG

very busy mid summer day at the top of the F" with a VIKING ship at the pier center . . 

IMG_0304.thumb.JPG.e2861a02b852949261106bd3b8439a85.JPG

and an off season late in the day ride .....

Great pictures..

If you are not in the greatest shape I would buy the round trip tickets.  I made a mistake thinking I could walk down the 3 km.  The sign said 45 minutes but took me 1.5 hrs. Because it was so steep and my legs ached for 2cdays afterward.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

If you are not in the greatest shape I would buy the round trip tickets.  I made a mistake thinking I could walk down the 3 km.  The sign said 45 minutes but took me 1.5 hrs. Because it was so steep and my legs ached for 2cdays afterward.

I’m sorry to hear your legs ached for 2 days after your hike down. We will not be be hiking down as we know our 11 year old son will enjoy the ride up and down on the funicular.