3 night on Liberty of the Seas

11 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

We did a 3-night recently.  Two differences from your anticipated trip:  We were on Independence, and we went mid-week. 

Still, I suspect it was similar to what you're considering.  It was our first 3-night, and it was a little different:  It was a younger, harder-drinking crowd, but I didn't see any bad behavior.  We agreed that we'd do a 3-night again, but it would have to be for a good price (or part of a B2B).  Why?  Because the cost /effort of traveling to Florida, is the same whether you're on a short cruise or a long cruise.

In answer to your specific questions: 

- Meals:  We enjoyed the Windjammer and the MDR.  You don't get a lobster night on cruises less than 7-nights.  Somehow we were starving for pizza and ate lots.  On a longer cruise we tend to "pace ourselves" -- on the 3-night we didn't even try.  

- Movies:  I enjoy Movies Under the Stars.  I went back to my room for a chambray shirt, as it was a little chilly at night.  The app said they were showing Downton Abbey: New Era in the theater one afternoon -- and they didn't!  A bunch of ladies showed up for this, and we were pretty upset.  

- Shows:  The ice show is always my favorite -- go early and get a front row seat.  Very worthwhile.  And I enjoyed Grease.  

I think a larger percentage of passengers bought the drink package on the 3-night cruise.  

We loved Coco Cay, which I think is pretty typical for Royal Caribbean guests.  No, you don't have to pay anything extra.  You can get a lounger by the ocean and relax for free.  Lunch is provided on the island.  If you have a drink package, it works on the island ... but if you're buying individual drinks, they cost an extra dollar!  Something about VAT.  Royal describes it as "Perfect Day at Coco Cay", and they're right.  It was just an easy, relaxing beach day.  

One small note:  We were on Coco Cay the first week of December, and while I wasn't cold, I also wasn't particularly warm.  Next time I'd wear a long-sleeved rash guard.  

We live about 45 minutes from FLL, so that makes cheap, short cruises accessible, which is awesome. If we had farther to travel, I don’t think I would be interested in 3 nights either!

We are not super picky eaters and my husband has always been a big fan of Windjammer and with the exception of Princess, I have always been happy to really impressed with most meals severed in MDRs across all the cruise lines we’ve been lucky enough to sail with, so I am not super concerned about menus.

I also love movies under the stars - The only time we didn’t do it was in Alaska because it was too cold lol

Thank your your descriptions of Coco Cay - it sounds exactly like our experiences on Castaway Cay, which has been the highlight of all our DCL cruises! When you are on the beach, is the waterpark close by? Is it noisy?

Edited by RedJessi

16 hours ago, Tatka said:

I am not sure about this. Princess usually has better food.

13 menus is for example Taste of UK, Taste of Mexico,  Royal Night, Taste of France etc.

So for your sailing it will be 3 out of 13.

Probably Welcome  Aboard, Taste of France and maybe Bon Voyage or Taste of Italy.

I am completely fine with this change,but some people not liking missing Classic portion of menu which consisted of familiar choices like salmon, chicken, french onion soup etc.

Escargots are making appearances on many nights though (used to be every night)

Thank you for this description! I would be fine with Welcome  Aboard, Taste of France, Bon Voyage or Taste of Italy for sure. When you say the classics aren't being offered, do you mean the items that are on the menu overnight (NY strip, Caesar salad, Alfredo pasta, etc)? 

I do hope there is escargot at least one night -I love them!

3 hours ago, RedJessi said:

Thank you for this description! I would be fine with Welcome  Aboard, Taste of France, Bon Voyage or Taste of Italy for sure. When you say the classics aren't being offered, do you mean the items that are on the menu overnight (NY strip, Caesar salad, Alfredo pasta, etc)? 

I do hope there is escargot at least one night -I love them!

On 5 days month ago cruise we had it 3 times so you will have it. RCI had a classic section that did not change daily with some items, now they are served, but not daily ... but you know how people get used to things. I think menu is fine. Not totally gourmet, but enough good items.

Princess used to be a step above RCI. Maybe not anymore. We had 7 cruises with them.

7 minutes ago, Tatka said:

On 5 days month ago cruise we had it 3 times so you will have it. RCI had a classic section that did not change daily with some items, now they are served, but not daily ... but you know how people get used to things. I think menu is fine. Not totally gourmet, but enough good items.

Princess used to be a step above RCI. Maybe not anymore. We had 7 cruises with them.

I had heard that Princess had really good food, and my expectations had been that it would be close to what we experienced on DCL. Perhaps that was part of what made how really bad the food was sort of shocking. Also, on a 7 night Alaskan cruise, there was no lobster, no escargot, no crab, no lamb, the only pasta was fettuccine Alfredo.....it was really a collection of lackluster items that were poorly executed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedJessi said:

Thank your your descriptions of Coco Cay - it sounds exactly like our experiences on Castaway Cay, which has been the highlight of all our DCL cruises! When you are on the beach, is the waterpark close by? Is it noisy?

Yes, we also loved Castaway Cay and have some great pictures of our children playing on the beach years ago!  

But your question:  

First, I suggest you check You Tube -- you can find several nice "walk arounds" of Coco Cay that'll give you a good idea of what to expect and a hint about which area is "for you".  The place isn't all that big, but it feels larger because they've divided the areas with trees and natural areas.  Still, I was pretty well exhausted after walking the perimeter of the whole place.  

Coco Cay is made up of several beaches -- I'm only describing the no-charge areas: 

- When you approach Coco Cay you'll see the water park to the right and the beaches to the left and center. 

- If you have children, they'll enjoy the giant pirate ship playground right by the entrance.   

- The water park is a relatively long walk from the beaches, and we heard zero noise from the water park.  In contrast, the pool's music can be heard for some distance.  

- Our idea of a fun beach day is a quiet beach where we can lounge comfortably, read, listen to our own music through headphones, and just relax.  

- We prefer Chill Island, which is the first beach on the left.  You walk over a bridge and through a shady area filled with hammocks to reach it.  Its downside is that it may be the more crowded beach (maybe because it is nearest the entrance?).  

- Breezy Beach and South Beach are straight ahead of the entrance and a little further on.  Breezy Beach might be the "best all around" area, but my husband likes to stay near those hammocks.  South Beach's water is a little inferior to Chill Island, but they have sports activities. 

- Some people choose to stay "inland" at a lake right by the Chill Grill.  Personally, I don't see why. 

- And then there's the large pool, which isn't for me -- too loud.  But I see why it appeals to those who are looking for a party atmosphere. 

- I suggest you choose a beach beforehand and head straight for it.  While Coco Cay boasts ample seating (even for multiple ships), not all those seats are front-row, and everyone wants that uninterrupted ocean view. 

- We claimed our seats early and stayed until mid-afternoon.  We were a little nervous about leaving for lunch, but no one disturbed our things. 

- Seats across the whole island are arranged in twos and fours -- with a little plastic table and umbrella for each "set".

- No matter which beach you choose, you'll be near a bar, and you'll able to lunch (without charge) at either Skipper's Grill or Chill Grill ... they are essentially the Windjammer brought ashore and are identical except for their color scheme, offering burgers, hot dogs, tacos and cheese steaks.  The Snack Shacks are also no-charge and serve burgers and chicken sandwiches.  

1 hour ago, RedJessi said:

... I do hope there is escargot at least one night -I love them!

My husband adores escargot and orders it every time it's on the menu.  I'm 80% sure he had it in the MDR during our 3-day cruise.  I remember the foods we ate, but I don't remember clearly what we ate on which cruises.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Yes, we also loved Castaway Cay and have some great pictures of our children playing on the beach years ago!  

But your question:  

First, I suggest you check You Tube -- you can find several nice "walk arounds" of Coco Cay that'll give you a good idea of what to expect and a hint about which area is "for you".  The place isn't all that big, but it feels larger because they've divided the areas with trees and natural areas.  Still, I was pretty well exhausted after walking the perimeter of the whole place.  

Coco Cay is made up of several beaches -- I'm only describing the no-charge areas: 

Thank you so much for the information - I BOOKED THE CRUISE! 🙂

• Like 3

Another Question:

Currently, the only on board activities available are Sip.Tour.Brunch, All Access Ship Tour, a cupcake decorating class and a guacamole class. Will more things become available as the cruise date (November 2023) gets closer?

34 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Yes, things are added (and sometimes removed) as you get closer to sailing.

Thanks, thats good to know. On DCL cruises, I've enjoyed things like whiskey tasting, champagne tasting, etc, so I was shocked to see nothing like that listed with RCI's cruise planner.

On 6/21/2023 at 4:40 PM, RedJessi said:

oof - This would be a a trip in November in order to celebrate my kiddo and her BFF's birthdays - they are turning 11. I am looking at Liberty because it seemed like a good, family friendly ship. I am starting to rethink it; I am not sure booze cruise is what we are looking for.

I live in Florida and have done a lot of 3 day cruises on Liberty, Freedom, Independence, Navigator and Mariner. As others have stated, these are definitely booze cruises. Obviously I enjoy the party atmosphere on these short cruises, which carries over to Coco Cay, but personally I wouldn’t take children on these cruises. On the other hand, the 4 day cruises have a completely different atmosphere and are way more family friendly. 

• 3 months later...

Log in to your account on the app.  Go to the profile page and it allows you to select a different cruise.  Once there go to the bottom of the list of your booked cruises and all the ships are there.  Select the ship you are interested in and then hopefully find a cruise date going now.  Select that and you can see the whole Compass.  Thanksgiving really won't be much different (except guest entertainer) than what you see now.  This will also show current menus.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LeeW said:

.  Select that and you can see the whole Compass

You can see most things listed in the Compass in various sections of the app but usually you can only see the .pdf of the Compass via a link on board only. 

Edited by Biker19

On 6/21/2023 at 11:51 AM, RedJessi said:

Hello all! I am considering a 3 night (Friday to Monday) cruise with Perfect Day in November on Liberty of the Seas, but I am having trouble finding out exactly what would be available on the ship in regards to meals, photo packages, movies, shows, etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Also, I would love to hear about anyone else's experience. We have't ever done this short a cruise with Royal, so I would love any insight that could be provided. Thanks!

Only thing wrong with 3-nights is that it's not 4, or 5, or 7, etc.  🙂 Personally, I love the 3-nighters.  Doing Freedom this coming weekend.    Great way to decompress.  I often don't go to the Island, just stay on board while everyone else is gone.  Sit around the uncrowded pool, listening to my own music, reading a good book and drinking pina coladas!

• Like 1

On 10/3/2023 at 4:36 PM, michuck1219 said:

Only thing wrong with 3-nights is that it's not 4, or 5, or 7, etc.  🙂 Personally, I love the 3-nighters.  Doing Freedom this coming weekend.    Great way to decompress.  I often don't go to the Island, just stay on board while everyone else is gone.  Sit around the uncrowded pool, listening to my own music, reading a good book and drinking pina coladas!

I hope you have a good time and I hope our experience on the ship is better than it's been so far with RC's website and customer service.