X Value Proposition, Inflation and Price Hikes

Alsmez

Have to believe FCC's have had a sizable impact on price.  When sailing resumed they provided a solid base of bookings which allowed X to jack up price on remaining cabins.  Now that most FCC's  have been used or expired would expect pricing to stabilize and potentially moderate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

Well, when you start getting older and you have the funds to do what you want and your way, that also factors into your decision.  Opportunity cost is alive and well, not to mention different for each individual.

Very true! My one and only cruise on Carnival (with a gal pal when we were mid-20s singles) and subsequent move to Celebrity is proof of that. 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I've been maintaining a similar "PP/PN" spreadsheet since 2019. I include: cruise fare, drink/dining packages, gratuities, air fare/hotel/transfers. Pretty much all trip expenses which are consistent from cruise to cruise. The only expenses I don't include on my sheet are excursions, which vary widely from sailing to sailing.

Since Dec 2019, I've been on 6 cruises, balconies or suites. I've been on Oasis-class twice, All three E-class ships, and one time (and last!) on NCL Prima. 

Converting to CAD$, the cheapest cruise in the past 4 years will be my upcoming 9-night sailing (booked more than a year ago) in a Sunset Veranda on Beyond. That one comes in at CAD$363 pp/pn. A real bargain! The most expensive is the Christmas cruise in 2019 in a Jr. Suite on Oasis at $556 pp/pn. The others all came in around $400-$450 for Balconies or Suites, which is probably aligned with the OP's findings in USD, and not including airfare.

Looking ahead to 2024, I've only been able to get quotes in the $500+ range. Suite are up to CAD$1250 pp/pn!!!

Given the increases, we have decided to forgo cruising for 2024, and will instead be checking out some of the higher-end AI resorts in the Caribbean. I'm looking at prices there which are, even with airfare, as low as half the cost of cruising.

• Like 1

I am not sure my numbers demonstrate anything specific.  The cruise-only prices in my spreadsheet are low, but by the time we ran up our bar tap or purchased a beverage package plus gratuities I don't think these sailings were really bargains compared to the sailings we had an All Included/Always Included/Go Better/Go Best promotion.  

I put the sky suites in purple.  I am thinking if the attractive pricing disappears for good, our December suite might be our last as we gravitate away from the relaxing Caribbean cruises toward the port-intensive European cruises in regular verandahs or interior (Gasp!) staterooms.  Some of the options we are considering for 2024 are on other lines because some of them have fewer sea days than Celebrity's itineraries.

We really enjoy Luminae and the Retreat Lounge, but I am just not in a place where I am willing to pay whatever the going rate is.  And, yes I know The Retreat experience on board the E-class ships would probably blow me away.  So, yes I have a maximum pppn threshold.  But I am not quite sure what that is.

The cruise that really blew us both away was our one time on Crystal Serenity.  It was a bargain to boot at $300 pppn ($234 pppn after CL and TA OBC which covered all of our excursions and additional specialty dining.)  The day we embark Summit this coming December we will have just disembarked our first sailing on MCS Seascape.  We are trying a Yacht Club Interior at $177.90 pppn.  Please do not flame me. 😄

This exercise has reminded me of my frugality if nothing else. 😄

image.thumb.png.67b11c24fa885b1007365594aaad6e5b.png

7 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

We are trying a Yacht Club Interior at $177.90 pppn.  Please do not flame me. 😄

No flaming necessary. YC Insides are arguably the best bargain in cruising right now.

• Like 1

Virgin ships are very nice!   Loved the hammock on the balcony; all food is included in the cruise prices, plus wifi.   Would go on their ships again tomorrow.   Major difference is no big production shows.   

6 minutes ago, mizLORInj said:

Virgin ships are very nice!   Loved the hammock on the balcony; all food is included in the cruise prices, plus wifi. 

And no children on board.  And no nickel-and-diming???  From the recent Resilient Lady Live thread I followed there seems to be a lively party vibe on board.  I did not get a sense of even a whisper of an elevated or premium experience.  Also, so far, their itineraries are less than inspiring.  But I need to research the line further.  As interest continues to slowly ramp up I get a sense that Virgin's ships may not be sailing at full capacity which would be a plus.  Did the ship feel as spacious as Celebrity's S-class ships?

All of this math talk made my head hurt 🙂 but it got me to wondering how my beginning cruise prices compare to todays.  In the early 2000's we began sailing Celebrity.    We were paying in the neighborhood of $1200 for an outside cabin on a 7 day Caribbean cruise.  In those days there were no balconies on ships like Horizon so other than suites outside cabins were it.  No perks were included.  In today's dollars, that converts to somewhere in the neighborhood of $2000.  I just checked a 7 night outside cabin on Apex in February.  The price for that cabin would be approximately what I paid over 20 years ago.  Now some of the niceties we enjoyed then are gone (dessert tray in MDR, champagne on arrival, etc..) But it was interesting that I could get the same type of cabin, on one of the newer ships, for the same cost as 20 years ago.  Of course, the really high prices these days are in suites and CC and AQ so the comparison doesn't apply across the board.  But it was interesting to compare.

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

All of this math talk made my head hurt 🙂 but it got me to wondering how my beginning cruise prices compare to todays.  In the early 2000's we began sailing Celebrity.    We were paying in the neighborhood of $1200 for an outside cabin on a 7 day Caribbean cruise.  In those days there were no balconies on ships like Horizon so other than suites outside cabins were it.  No perks were included.  In today's dollars, that converts to somewhere in the neighborhood of $2000.  I just checked a 7 night outside cabin on Apex in February.  The price for that cabin would be approximately what I paid over 20 years ago.  Now some of the niceties we enjoyed then are gone (dessert tray in MDR, champagne on arrival, etc..) But it was interesting that I could get the same type of cabin, on one of the newer ships, for the same cost as 20 years ago.  Of course, the really high prices these days are in suites and CC and AQ so the comparison doesn't apply across the board.  But it was interesting to compare.

Transatlantic October.

2019 and 2021 - Silhouette

2023 - Reflection

All cruises in the same balcony cabin on the hump.

All prices including: taxes and tips (cruise only rates).

Prices per cabin (2 pax) per day.

2019 - £207

2021 - £238 

2023 - £250

5 hours ago, bruzin_for_a_cruizin said:

include: cruise fare, drink/dining packages, gratuities, air fare/hotel/transfers. Pretty much all trip expenses which are consistent from cruise to cruise.

I didn't include airfare or hotel in my calculations since it varies so much, although it is definitely a consideration when choosing a vacation. Caribbean cruises will always be cheaper for us since there are always cheap flights from NYC to be had, and we are comfortable flying in day-of. Europe or West Coast, etc., means a long and expensive flight plus at least a night or two in a hotel. 

5 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

And no children on board.  And no nickel-and-diming???  From the recent Resilient Lady Live thread I followed there seems to be a lively party vibe on board.  I did not get a sense of even a whisper of an elevated or premium experience.  Also, so far, their itineraries are less than inspiring.  But I need to research the line further.  As interest continues to slowly ramp up I get a sense that Virgin's ships may not be sailing at full capacity which would be a plus.  Did the ship feel as spacious as Celebrity's S-class ships?

I was on Scarlet Lady in October 2022 at half-capacity.  That didn't feel crowded but I don't know if full capacity would.  Pool area isn't large but there are other great public spaces.  And yes, no kids.   No pushing photo packages, bingo, etc.   No announcements!    I wanted to see what it was like and am glad I tried it out.  I'll go again sometime, and yes, I agree that they need better itineraries.   

• Like 1

This pop up in my memories on FB 

“This is our November 5 2017 cruise 
Barcelona to Tampa 14 nights on RCL Rhapsody of the sea 
prices INCLUDE government fees, taxes, and gratitudes 
with $75 USD on board credit 
inside cabin $988.18 CAD ( $759.97 USD)
oceanview $1088.18 CAD( $837.03 USD) 
balcony  $$1,798.18 CAD ( $1,383.16 USD)”

crappy ship 🙄

6 years late we on the Conny leaving Rome Nov 6 2023 for 16 night to Tampa, nicer ship 

In a balcony for $2100 CAD with Always included and taxes and a lot more OBC 

There are still deals to be found out there

• Like 2

On 6/21/2023 at 5:23 PM, bigbenboys said:

Question: What movie is the line. "all my money is tied up in cash."

As CD rates are much higher now 4% to 6%. Does that not offsite some of the higher cost for cruising.

The movie was “Dolores Claiborne”. I’ll admit that I had to check IMDb for the title because I could only remember the names of some of the cast (Kathy Bates, Christopher Plummer).

I agree that the increased ROI on CDs and some other investments helps offset the cost of cruising.

Edited by Silkroad
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2023 at 12:56 PM, RichYak said:

No flaming necessary. YC Insides are arguably the best bargain in cruising right now.

MSC Aurea experience used to include drinks, plus unlimited  spa access and their spas are wonderful on the newer ships.  Good deal, but they have since removed the drinks, making it much less attractive. Looking at trying YC. 

• Like 1

It seem the part missing is the onboard experience.   If we are paying 2014 prices adjusted for inflation are we getting the 2014 experience.   I really enjoy Celebrity but have not sailed with them since pre-COVID.  I'm still trying to get a handle on the current onboard experience.  

In January of 2023 we booked an aqua class A1 cabin on a Silhouette 10 day cruise in 2024 with our TA. The fare included Classic BP, WIFI, Gratuities and $975 OBC ($375 OBC-R). The fare, not including port fees and taxes was $1899 pp. Today booking the same cruise, same inclusions from the same TA during one of their big annual sales and showing the same group booking option we booked under would cost $2822 pp. Apples and apples. Since we booked there have been much talked about cuts and changes to the menus etc. talked about in other threads as well.

Edited by Luvcrusn

Despite being a data nerd I didnt really start my spreadsheeting records until our 2022 cruise. Well it was supposed to be our 2020 cruise NY to Bermuda for 7 nights but then COVID. We took the 125% cruise credit and were able to book a 2021 Venice to Rome and that was of course canceled as well.

After that cancellation we decided to splurge for just a bit more and booked a 10 night Italy, Greece, Montenegro, and Croatia cruise. We originally booked in a balcony but did move up for $200pp we got a sunset veranda. The pppd came out to $268.90

We are currently booked on the Ascent for next March. 7 night in the Caribbean in a veranda guarantee and currently we are looking at $244.12 pppd. 

Not sure how to compare because not exactly equal comparisons. That said, we were on the Reflection and it was probably our best cruise so far even with some of the supply issues and coming right at the end of the Covid restrictions. Looking forward to comparing it to being on a brand new ship. 

3 hours ago, georgiaguy said:

Despite being a data nerd I didnt really start my spreadsheeting records until our 2022 cruise. Well it was supposed to be our 2020 cruise NY to Bermuda for 7 nights but then COVID. We took the 125% cruise credit and were able to book a 2021 Venice to Rome and that was of course canceled as well.

After that cancellation we decided to splurge for just a bit more and booked a 10 night Italy, Greece, Montenegro, and Croatia cruise. We originally booked in a balcony but did move up for $200pp we got a sunset veranda. The pppd came out to $268.90

We are currently booked on the Ascent for next March. 7 night in the Caribbean in a veranda guarantee and currently we are looking at $244.12 pppd. 

Not sure how to compare because not exactly equal comparisons. That said, we were on the Reflection and it was probably our best cruise so far even with some of the supply issues and coming right at the end of the Covid restrictions. Looking forward to comparing it to being on a brand new ship. 

Just curious, wondering if anyone who does the spreadsheets and math has a PPPD range they consider good, great, not good, and deal breaker. I realize it varies among people, wallets, plus itinerary and season . I know I got burned on a holiday cruise a few years ago, but I expected it, being the holidays.