Where to stay in Sydney?

KKB

Spending a few days before the cruise.

I see Circular Quay & Darling Harbor (I see they are in fairly close proximity) ...is one area a better choice than the other?

Or is there another better option?

(I truly have just begun researching so I cannot even say WHAT I want to do...1st time to Sydney. Like to be close to bars, restaurants, things to do & see)

Edited by KKB

Following, we will be there for two nights following a cruise from Auckland.  I think we dock at White Bay (Viking) so proximity to Circular Quay isn’t important.  Daughter and SIL stayed near Hyde Park in 2019.  It appears that Hyde Park area is less expensive than Circular Quay.  It seems like everything is fairly convenient.  I’m not certain any benefits for being on the harbor as we are “on the harbor “ for an entire cruise!

CQ/Rocks area of Sydney is the best place to stay. 

1 hour ago, PasadenaDave said:

Following, we will be there for two nights following a cruise from Auckland.  I think we dock at White Bay (Viking) so proximity to Circular Quay isn’t important.  Daughter and SIL stayed near Hyde Park in 2019.  It appears that Hyde Park area is less expensive than Circular Quay.  It seems like everything is fairly convenient.  I’m not certain any benefits for being on the harbor as we are “on the harbor “ for an entire cruise!

The benefits of being on the harbour (note spelling) is the close proximity to the ferries which you will want to use to get to Manly, Tooronga zoo, Watsons bay and elsewhere. It is also convenient to transport into the CBD and the rail system if you wish to go further afield.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As you like nightlife suggest Darling Harbour which is loaded with bars and places to eat,also less expensive than Circular Quay. The Light Rail runs through Darling and down to the Quay. Ferries are available from King Street Wharf. The Holiday Inn is well located in this area, however there are plenty of hotels in the area. Hope this helps, 

Thanks, all.

I booked Crown Royal Darling Harbor for 2 nights solo before my cruise in Feb.

DH & I are there in April too; I booked the Intercontinental Sydney for those nights as I got a terrific rate--is the location as good?

4 hours ago, KKB said:

Thanks, all.

I booked Crown Royal Darling Harbor for 2 nights solo before my cruise in Feb.

DH & I are there in April too; I booked the Intercontinental Sydney for those nights as I got a terrific rate--is the location as good?

The location of the Intercontinental  is about as good as it gets.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Any preference for Intercontinental versus Crowne Plaza? Crowne is $118 cheaper for 3 nights.

I'd go for price but the Intercontinental is a 5 star hotel while the Crowne is 4 star. The Intercontinental is also in a much better location

• Like 2

On 6/30/2023 at 4:30 PM, yarramar said:

I'd go for price but the Intercontinental is a 5 star hotel while the Crowne is 4 star. The Intercontinental is also in a much better location

Thanks, it is a Buket List cruise for us and location probably justifies the splurge.

2 hours ago, Tedferg said:

The Grace is available for a good price and has great reviews. Any thoughts?

The Grace is in a good city location with nearby shopping, restaurants and bars.

The Intercontinental is close to ferries, the Rocks, Botanical Gardens, Opera House and museums.

The Marriott looks like a good option too, reputable, good price and convenient to Rock, Ferries etc.

We actually are signed up with Viking for a post cruise excursion which we will cancel.  They stay at the Marriott but given that Sydney is easy to navigate and that they speak a language similar to US English we view the city as a place to see on our own and in the process save likely $1,000US

• Haha 1

The Marriott

I have gone back and forth between the Marriott and the Sheraton at Hyde Park.  While this choice is likely only of interest to Marriott Bonvoy members, I picked the Sheraton based on this hotel having a super nice executive lounge.  It's a 15 minute walk and maybe half that taking the bus.

25 minutes ago, PasadenaDave said:

We actually are signed up with Viking for a post cruise excursion which we will cancel.  They stay at the Marriott but given that Sydney is easy to navigate and that they speak a language similar to US English we view the city as a place to see on our own and in the process save likely $1,000US

Don't we all speak English? The difference is mainly in the spelling of a few words. There will of course be a difference in words used for example Australians say boot, you will say trunk for the storage area of a car. For the area where the motor of a car is we say bonnet instead of hood. But in saying that Australians depending in which state they live in will use different words for the same thing.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Don't we all speak English? The difference is mainly in the spelling of a few words. There will of course be a difference in words used for example Australians say boot, you will say trunk for the storage area of a car. For the area where the motor of a car is we say bonnet instead of hood. But in saying that Australians depending in which state they live in will use different words for the same thing.

Sorry for the subtle joke.  

• Like 2

I have started my search again, the booking confirmation from Marriott was much higher than the initial price I saw on Booking.com. The Grace looks good, but I had gone for Marriott because of short walk to Rocks, Ferry etc.

1 hour ago, yarramar said:

A recommendation for 5* hotels over on the Sydney forum on Trip Advisor goes to the Capella as superior to Marriot, 4 Seasons or Intercontinental.

Capella is very pricey!

On 6/30/2023 at 4:30 PM, yarramar said:

We just use IHG point for both. Doing CP since Viking is docked at White Harbor.

15 minutes ago, WAVTAM said:

We just use IHG point for both. Doing CP since Viking is docked at White Harbor.

I wonder if CP is too far from Ferries, Rocks, Opera House etc. versus Intercontinental.

5 hours ago, WAVTAM said:

It's White Bay, not White Harbor

5 hours ago, WAVTAM said:

Tons of Ferries exist at Darling just like Quay.

The Sydney ferries from Darling Harnour only go around to Circular Quay and have two stops on the opposite side of the harbour at McMahon's Point and Milson Point. To go elsewhere you would need to still catch a ferry from Circuular Quay.

There are the Captain Cook Cruises, a prvate company which operates to and from Darling Harbour. Captain Cook Cruises

My family and I have used Captain Cook from Darling Harbour to Circular Quay a couple of times. It's fun going under the Harbour Brifge.