Where to stay in Sydney?

KKB

6 hours ago, Tedferg said:

I wonder if CP is too far from Ferries, Rocks, Opera House etc. versus Intercontinental.

Crowne Plaza is less than a 200 metre walk to George Street which has the light rail line. The closest light rail stop is just around the corner at the Town Hall. It takes you down to Circular Quay.

Edited by possum52

15 hours ago, possum52 said:

Crowne Plaza is less than a 200 metre walk to George Street which has the light rail line. The closest light rail stop is just around the corner at the Town Hall. It takes you down to Circular Quay.

Thanks, that is helpful. I was tempted by Intercontinental and Marriott because of walking distance. Did not think of light rail. I hear mention of Opal card, is that a cost saver or just a convenience?

Is Kings Cross still considered "dodgy" (this is what Aussie people said to me on our former Independent Traveler message boards, if anyone remembers them!)? I stayed there a long while back and for not one reason could I think of why it had the moniker, but then my tolerance level might have registered on a different scale (especially late 90s) having been a lifelong native of NYC.

I booked it (in spite of warnings) because the B&B looked and sounded lovely and it was. I could walk to so many places, including the Quay, from where I was in no time and always felt safe.

Things got popping a little bit at night, there were bars, restaurants, cafes, El Alamein fountain which is gorgeous lit up at night, and rows pretty gingerbread houses that were beautiful too see walking towards downtown (and in the direction of the Botanical Gardens) by day.

Maybe a tiny bit of..."nightlife"? I don't know. But then I knew Times Square before the Disney Store, Sephora, and M&M World blah blah. I'm guessing there's no dodgy part of Sydney left, if it's gone at all the way Brooklyn is going (and soon enough, Queens 😂)

But it was a thought. It was affordable, convenient, and lovely. I stayed pen pals with the owners for quite a long time. 

50 minutes ago, Host Bonjour said:

Is Kings Cross still considered "dodgy" (this is what Aussie people said to me on our former Independent Traveler message boards, if anyone remembers them!)? I stayed there a long while back and for not one reason could I think of why it had the moniker, but then my tolerance level might have registered on a different scale (especially late 90s) having been a lifelong native of NYC.

I booked it (in spite of warnings) because the B&B looked and sounded lovely and it was. I could walk to so many places, including the Quay, from where I was in no time and always felt safe.

Things got popping a little bit at night, there were bars, restaurants, cafes, El Alamein fountain which is gorgeous lit up at night, and rows pretty gingerbread houses that were beautiful too see walking towards downtown (and in the direction of the Botanical Gardens) by day.

Maybe a tiny bit of..."nightlife"? I don't know. But then I knew Times Square before the Disney Store, Sephora, and M&M World blah blah. I'm guessing there's no dodgy part of Sydney left, if it's gone at all the way Brooklyn is going (and soon enough, Queens 😂)

But it was a thought. It was affordable, convenient, and lovely. I stayed pen pals with the owners for quite a long time. 

There are some great deals out the Cross area, dodgy would refer to it having strip clubs, and the like, but my no means would I consider it dangerous, maybe a bit noisy, but to be fair I haven’t stayed anywhere other than home and hospital for a few years.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

I guess it used to be "dodgy" but that was back in the '70's. Strip clubs, prostitution, drugs & gangsters. Sleazy may have been an apt description.

Now all those elements are spread out and most places are relatively safe everywhere in Sydney.

• Like 2

We stayed at Kings Cross in late 1976. I was pregnant and needed some antacid, so husband went to fnd somewhere to purchase some. As he walked out of our hotel (I think it was a round multi story building), he was propositioned. He thought it was hilarious. I was not impressed! We had no idea that our hotel was where it was as it was booked through a travel agent. It was convenient to the CBD though!

• Haha 2

As a local, I wanted to let you know that extensive reconstruction work is taking place in Darling Harbour and so I would not recommend staying there in 2023. In our view, and having stayed in many Sydney hotels, the Shangri-La Sydney Hotel offers the most memorable views of our harbour. 'Horizon Club' rooms offer access to a spectacular lounge with 280-degree views of the harbour, Opera House and Harbour Bridge. The Horizon Club offers breakfast, all day non-alcoholic beverages including tea and coffee, afternoon tea plus an extensive evening canape and complimentary drinks service. The staff, including the amazing Jerry who has been working in the Horizon Club for more than 20 years, make you feel like you are family. Highly recommended Shangri-La Sydney (shangrilasydney.com.au)

On 7/13/2023 at 3:33 PM, possum52 said:

We stayed at Kings Cross in late 1976. I was pregnant and needed some antacid, so husband went to fnd somewhere to purchase some. As he walked out of our hotel (I think it was a round multi story building), he was propositioned. He thought it was hilarious. I was not impressed! We had no idea that our hotel was where it was as it was booked through a travel agent. It was convenient to the CBD though!

Those were the days.it was called *Disneyland for Adults* I believe some of the rides were expensive🤣

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Aussiecruisers123 said:

As a local, I wanted to let you know that extensive reconstruction work is taking place in Darling Harbour and so I would not recommend staying there in 2023. In our view, and having stayed in many Sydney hotels, the Shangri-La Sydney Hotel offers the most memorable views of our harbour. 'Horizon Club' rooms offer access to a spectacular lounge with 280-degree views of the harbour, Opera House and Harbour Bridge. The Horizon Club offers breakfast, all day non-alcoholic beverages including tea and coffee, afternoon tea plus an extensive evening canape and complimentary drinks service. The staff, including the amazing Jerry who has been working in the Horizon Club for more than 20 years, make you feel like you are family. Highly recommended Shangri-La Sydney (shangrilasydney.com.au)

I have reservations for early April 2024 at the Meriton Suites Sussex.  I understand this is close to Darling Harbour. Is it close enough that I should consider something farther away? I’ll be in Australia for about a week before the Sydney stay and liked having the convenience of a washer/dryer in the room 😉

On 7/11/2023 at 7:24 PM, GUT2407 said:

dodgy would refer to it having strip clubs,

So interesting to know the reference of dodgy (and sleazy), which I hadn't thought to ask, but also didn't want to be rude and ask for details, and also maybe naively thought, dodgy might be universal? But this is fairly specific, and I understood it more as a binary concept.

@possum52 I mean, it's like all advertising: you have to promote, but not everyone is buying. 😂 

Definitely so convenient for the CBD, and most everything else I did because I could connect to transit etc. so it worked out really well. 

Colleen 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

So interesting to know the reference of dodgy (and sleazy), which I hadn't thought to ask, but also didn't want to be rude and ask for details, and also maybe naively thought, dodgy might be universal? But this is fairly specific, and I understood it more as a binary concept.

Dodgy for us means "not quite right" or unsafe. The Cross was never really unsafe although it did seem that way and many underworld types were there but if you were a "civilian" you were usually fine. Whilst walking through there at night you were invited to come into strip clubs by touts and propositioned by street walkers but it was quite safe.

Sleazy means dirty in a sexual or lascivious way.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, daydreamer16 said:

We were recommended by a friend to stay at Rydges, Sydney Harbour. Anyone have any feedback?

Haven’t stayed there for awhile, it was looking very tired, but is sooooo convenient if you are sailing from the OPT

On 7/23/2023 at 8:50 AM, daydreamer16 said:

We were recommended by a friend to stay at Rydges, Sydney Harbour. Anyone have any feedback?

We haven't stayed there yet, but will be this December for the night before our cruise on the 21st.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, YoPhilly said:

How convenient is the Pier One Sydney Harbour Hotel (a Marriott)?  It juts out under the Harbour Bridge.  Is it walkable to restaurants and Circular Quay ferries?  How are the views?

Yes it is walkable - it is close to cafes and restaurants in The Rocks and perhaps a 15 minute walk to the ferries. There are also restaurants at and close to Circular Quay. You are likely to have some views of the harbour and bridge depending where your room is situated. It is an old building which on one side faces Walsh Bay and of course looks out onto the bridge. 

• Like 2

On 7/13/2023 at 6:33 AM, possum52 said:

We stayed at a hotel called Sullivan’s ( now closed) on Oxford St many years ago, on our first visit… we went out for a beer at a nearby pub but my DH was concerned with the size of the barmaid’s Adams Apple and the fact that the was a huge bowl full of durex on the bar…!  
So we went to find another pub; on the way he was propositioned by a lady sitting on her doorstep… presumably I could just stay outside and wait 🤷‍♀️… but at the end of the street was a bar full of men drinking pints watching the cricket 🏏 so he felt happier!! 

Next time we are staying in the Shangri La!  But I bet we won’t have so many stories to tell! 

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1

Does anyone have any comments about the Pullman Quay Grand?  We booked it as it seems close to most things and close to ferry access for other things. While it gets pretty good reviews on trip advisor I’ve not seen anyone comment on cruise critic. Any comments?  

On 7/23/2023 at 8:50 AM, daydreamer16 said:

Rydges Sydney is in the Rocks area, so if you are there over the weekend, you will be very close to the lively Rocks Markets. The hotel is located among other lowrise buildings, so it has limited harbour views, but I imagine you're in Sydney to get out and about, so that may not matter 🙂

4 hours ago, Aussiecruisers123 said:

Rydges Sydney is in the Rocks area, so if you are there over the weekend, you will be very close to the lively Rocks Markets. The hotel is located among other lowrise buildings, so it has limited harbour views, but I imagine you're in Sydney to get out and about, so that may not matter 🙂

Yes we want to see as much as possible as we are there for 4 nights before our NZ cruise! We arrive on a Saturday so look forward to the Markets too!

11 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Does anyone have any comments about the Pullman Quay Grand?  We booked it as it seems close to most things and close to ferry access for other things. While it gets pretty good reviews on trip advisor I’ve not seen anyone comment on cruise critic. Any comments?  

It may be out of many cruisers' budget as it is quite pricey. It's certainly in a great position and very convenient to ferries and other public transport as well as cafes and restaurants.

• Like 1