Where to stay in Sydney?

KKB

On 7/22/2023 at 5:50 PM, daydreamer16 said:

We were recommended by a friend to stay at Rydges, Sydney Harbour. Anyone have any feedback?

Hi,

We stayed there in May prior to/after our South Pacific cruise. We will stay there in September prior to/after our Great Barrier Reef cruise. The hotel is older. It was clean and convenient to the market and restaurants.  We are seniors and we walked to the cruise terminal and back to the hotel afterwards. Location location location!! In May and upon our June return we could observe the VIVID Sydney lights on the roof.  We walked around and enjoyed VIVID even more.  

• Like 2

On 8/27/2023 at 7:42 PM, irisb said:

Hi,

We stayed there in May prior to/after our South Pacific cruise. We will stay there in September prior to/after our Great Barrier Reef cruise. The hotel is older. It was clean and convenient to the market and restaurants.  We are seniors and we walked to the cruise terminal and back to the hotel afterwards. Location location location!! In May and upon our June return we could observe the VIVID Sydney lights on the roof.  We walked around and enjoyed VIVID even more.  

Ok thanks, that's what I was most interested in. This is our first trip to Sydney & as seniors we too like to walk as much as possible too!

Denise

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/24/2023 at 7:36 AM, Wookie01 said:

We haven't stayed there yet, but will be this December for the night before our cruise on the 21st.

DW(60), DD(22), DS(19), and I(60) are cruising December 21st on Celebrity Edge.  Due primarily to the proximity to the cruise terminal, we are staying 2 nights at Rydges prior to the cruise.  We also have 3 nights in Sydney post cruise.  So, I am trying to decide where to book for those nights.  Probably around that same area.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Huddler said:

DW(60), DD(22), DS(19), and I(60) are cruising December 21st on Celebrity Edge.  Due primarily to the proximity to the cruise terminal, we are staying 2 nights at Rydges prior to the cruise.  We also have 3 nights in Sydney post cruise.  So, I am trying to decide where to book for those nights.  Probably around that same area.

It will be very busy in Sydney around the time you return, after New Year but school holidays and many people will still be on Christmas break. It is likely to be very expensive to find accommodation in the same area, if there is even any available. You may have to choose another area to stay. I would book ASAP.

• Like 2

On 9/21/2023 at 9:39 AM, Huddler said:

We stayed at the Rydges in 2016 ( it was Holiday Inn then). for our cruise ,  we have booked it again for April 2024 prior to our Transpacific.   We found room very comfortable and an excellent breakfast.    Big plus was how close it was to everything.   Short walk to Opera House, ferries, restaurants and loved enjoying the nitelife along the harbour walking to Opera House.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, luvtravel88 said:

Would anyone care to comment on Little National Hotel, QT Sydney or The Darling? All 3 are top 10 on tripadvisor but I wondered about their location. We will be there several days, pre-cruise.

Thanks for the input!

The Little National and QT Sydney are both in the CBD (central business district and close to public transport. The Darling is not in the CBD but at Pyrmont which is the western side of Darling Harbour, so not as convenient as the other two hotels. I haven't stayed at any of them but have stayed at hotels close by to the Little National and QT.

14 hours ago, possum52 said:

The Little National and QT Sydney are both in the CBD (central business district and close to public transport. The Darling is not in the CBD but at Pyrmont which is the western side of Darling Harbour, so not as convenient as the other two hotels. I haven't stayed at any of them but have stayed at hotels close by to the Little National and QT.

Thank you! I appreciate your vast knowledge on the area. You've helped a lot of people with their planning!

Kim

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We were looking at the Hilton Sydney so we could use our points... pre cruise.  

Post cruise we have been given 2 complimentary nights at the Sofitel Wentworth.  

Any comments on location of these two?  

• 1 month later...
On 8/5/2023 at 4:44 AM, possum52 said:

It may be out of many cruisers' budget as it is quite pricey. It's certainly in a great position and very convenient to ferries and other public transport as well as cafes and restaurants.

Literally the best hotel we have ever stayed in.

On 7/16/2023 at 6:26 AM, Aussiecruisers123 said:

As a local, I wanted to let you know that extensive reconstruction work is taking place in Darling Harbour and so I would not recommend staying there in 2023. In our view, and having stayed in many Sydney hotels, the Shangri-La Sydney Hotel offers the most memorable views of our harbour. 'Horizon Club' rooms offer access to a spectacular lounge with 280-degree views of the harbour, Opera House and Harbour Bridge. The Horizon Club offers breakfast, all day non-alcoholic beverages including tea and coffee, afternoon tea plus an extensive evening canape and complimentary drinks service. The staff, including the amazing Jerry who has been working in the Horizon Club for more than 20 years, make you feel like you are family. Highly recommended Shangri-La Sydney (shangrilasydney.com.au)

We are staying in Sydney 2 days prior to sailing on Feb 5 and 4 days after, Feb  24-28.   For the 4 days, the prices are skyhigh. I booked Meriton suites Kent Rd. It looked ok and was priced ok. For the 2 days pre cruise, prices are half that price.  I would like to book near the pier for those 2 days, any suggestions? Thanks

2 hours ago, wendyp247 said:

We are staying in Sydney 2 days prior to sailing on Feb 5 and 4 days after, Feb  24-28.   For the 4 days, the prices are skyhigh. I booked Meriton suites Kent Rd. It looked ok and was priced ok. For the 2 days pre cruise, prices are half that price.  I would like to book near the pier for those 2 days, any suggestions? Thanks

Check to see if there is a holiday at that time which might account for the higher price.

You might also want to explore using frequent flier miles.  We find it challenging to book two seats where we want to fly, when we want to fly thus we use ff miles for big city hotels.

Also, while hotels are expensive these days, watch to see if the price is in Australia dollars or US Dollars, the difference is significant 

8 hours ago, wendyp247 said:

If staying in Sydney 2 days prior, do you need to be in the city 4 days after the cruise?

Have a look at Manly or Watsons Bay or somewhere where you can just catch a ferry to be at Circular Quay. Also take a look at Coogee or other beach suburbs. Sydney public transport is excellent and there are plenty of cafes everywhere to have breakfast or coffee in the mornings

17 hours ago, wendyp247 said:

Yes we are staying 4 days after, picking up another cruise.   

May I recommend the possibility of leaving and coming back to Sydney? Sydney is great, but that could be a good excuse to see somewhere else in Australia, even if it's just somewhere close-ish like Wollongong or Newcastle or, perhaps best, Canberra. 

• 3 weeks later...

Update to some previous discussions here.

Today we checked into the Rydges in The Rocks, pre our cruise starting tomorrow.

As some have said previously it is a bit old a tired, even a bit musty.

But on the other hand the room is really generously proportioned and has a nice view of the harbour and Opera House. The lobby bar was very comfortable for drinks and some casual food too.

Can’t really fault it for the price and location. An easy 200 metre walk to the cruise terminal and cost less than $400 for the night.

image.thumb.jpeg.973c066768d8d5c74e596f205144836a.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sydney hotels?  From Condé Nast Traveler magazine earlier this fall, they had this headline: Top 10 Hotels in Australia and New Zealand: Readers’ Choice Awards 2023 with these highlights for Sydney's best: As number one, they had Fullerton Hotel Sydney.  At the three, four and five rankings for this region, they had The Langham, Sydney; Four Seasons Hotel Sydney and Park Hyatt Sydney.   

Ranked second best in the overall region and highest in New Zealand's largest city was the Park Hyatt Auckland.  Sixth overall and highest in the western Aussie area was COMO The Treasury in
Perth.

We stayed in 2014 at the Four Seasons Sydney and enjoyed its great location and classy aspects.  

Full story at:

https://www.cntraveler.com/gallery/australia-new-zealand-top-hotels?utm_source=nl&utm_brand=cnt&utm_mailing=CNT_Daily_AM_122323&utm_campaign=aud-dev&utm_medium=email&bxid=5db3f99524c17c23c34ecf3e&cndid=6657468&hasha=e1ca3019f9f535a4b98389997c63b892&hashb=7daf2541a0de702392cfe60ed513a5c2d1d23598&hashc=f541a9e649534cc2931bd57d58d8c2cac2bb8c5d298f722bad5b05cc8ad5ece2&esrc=IDCONDENAST_REGGATE&utm_term=CNT_Daily

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio   

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 247,560 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

11 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Sydney hotels?  From Condé Nast Traveler magazine earlier this fall, they had this headline: Top 10 Hotels in Australia and New Zealand: Readers’ Choice Awards 2023 with these highlights for Sydney's best: As number one, they had Fullerton Hotel Sydney.  At the three, four and five rankings for this region, they had The Langham, Sydney; Four Seasons Hotel Sydney and Park Hyatt Sydney.   

Ranked second best in the overall region and highest in New Zealand's largest city was the Park Hyatt Auckland.  Sixth overall and highest in the western Aussie area was COMO The Treasury in
Perth.

We stayed in 2014 at the Four Seasons Sydney and enjoyed its great location and classy aspects.  

Full story at:

https://www.cntraveler.com/gallery/australia-new-zealand-top-hotels?utm_source=nl&utm_brand=cnt&utm_mailing=CNT_Daily_AM_122323&utm_campaign=aud-dev&utm_medium=email&bxid=5db3f99524c17c23c34ecf3e&cndid=6657468&hasha=e1ca3019f9f535a4b98389997c63b892&hashb=7daf2541a0de702392cfe60ed513a5c2d1d23598&hashc=f541a9e649534cc2931bd57d58d8c2cac2bb8c5d298f722bad5b05cc8ad5ece2&esrc=IDCONDENAST_REGGATE&utm_term=CNT_Daily

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio   

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 247,560 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

We were in Auckland for one night December 18 and stayed at the Hotel Britomart which is two blocks from Shed 10 where Viking docks.  Most convenient hotel to the ship at that pier.  New modern hotel which we learned about from booking at aa.com frequent flier site as we used ff miles to book and pay.

On 12/20/2023 at 6:19 AM, Wookie01 said:

Update to some previous discussions here.

Today we checked into the Rydges in The Rocks, pre our cruise starting tomorrow.

As some have said previously it is a bit old a tired, even a bit musty.

But on the other hand the room is really generously proportioned and has a nice view of the harbour and Opera House. The lobby bar was very comfortable for drinks and some casual food too.

Can’t really fault it for the price and location. An easy 200 metre walk to the cruise terminal and cost less than $400 for the night.

image.thumb.jpeg.973c066768d8d5c74e596f205144836a.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks for the info! We are booked there for 3 nights in early March.

• Like 1