Cinnamon Rolls,

Jim B

I really really like Regent, and have been on a number of cruises and have 5 booked.

One thing that bugs me is I can not get a decent roll in the morning for breakfast.

What they have are dry, flaky, with some type of fruit on them. 

COME ON!!   Lets have a nice large cinnamon roll, or Carmel  roll. Even a sticky bun, ( Oceania has them), so why can't Regent. 

Real unhealthy I know, but boy it sure would be nice.

Oh!  And we should be able to get a BLT sandwich at lunch time at the pool grill or Compass Rose everyday.

• Like 2

I hear you. We love cinnamon rolls and sticky buns. We were on the Mariner in October; and to our surprise, the breakfast buffet had sticky buns. Not every morning, but we did check every morning. 

We have also often lamented as to why we can’t get a simple BLT for lunch. How hard can that be?

Maybe I can remember to mention that on the survey for my upcoming Splendor cruise. 

I've found what I love every morning for my pre-breakfast. That's when we head to the Coffee Connection, and I have the cro-nut of the day and 1 or 2 cappuccinos.If we have no early excursion, we then head to Compass Rose at 8 for a leisurely breakfast. We are sometimes offered an additional cro-nut, but I limit myself to the first one.

The cro-nut is made of pastry, but looks like a fried doughnut. It has frosting/glaze on top, and an injected filling of flavored cream, or sometimes jelly. They are absolutely delicious. While I like a cinnamon roll or sticky bun, the cro-nut is smaller and more decadent, so I love it even more.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LoveBora said:

We were on the Mariner in October; and to our surprise, the breakfast buffet had sticky buns. Not every morning, but we did check every morning. 

On a Navigator cruise in 2018 I was told by the La Veranda manager that they only made sticky buns on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Also, if you don't get there early, they may run out.

So check with La Veranda manager.

• Like 1

@Jim B I couldn't agree with you more. Spent 14 days on the Explorer a year ago and I saw something they called a cinnamon roll exactly once. And while I'm at it, how about a decent slice of ham in the morning. You know, the kind sliced off next to a bone while you watch vs. the stuff cut out of a can the night before. But, somehow, I managed to survive.

Love cinnamon buns and If we do not get sticky buns either 

( one of our favourites on Oceania ) can I ask what the croissants like? and the other pastries treats?

Only eat these on cruises or other holidays but do really enjoy if freshly baked. Are these things good from room service?

If not what are your recommendations?

After reading the breakfast thread ( not open until 7am) we have realised that we will have little time for a leisurely breakfast as we have a lot of 8am tours and are assuming meeting times will be at least 15 mins before hand.

2 hours ago, welshfamily said:

Almond croissants 😋  Not available every day; on our last Regent cruise it was Fridays.

As with everything on Regent, if you don't see what you are looking for, simply ask 🙂

Standard croissants are good, whether in Compass Rose, La Veranda, Coffee connection or Room Service

• Like 1

4 hours ago, welshfamily said:

Love cinnamon buns and If we do not get sticky buns either 

( one of our favourites on Oceania ) can I ask what the croissants like? and the other pastries treats?

Only eat these on cruises or other holidays but do really enjoy if freshly baked. Are these things good from room service?

After reading the breakfast thread ( not open until 7am) we have realised that we will have little time for a leisurely breakfast as we have a lot of 8am tours and are assuming meeting times will be at least 15 mins before hand.

Room service may be your best bet. 

If this isn't a First World Problem, I don't know what is.

I agree that a BLT should pretty much be a custom order that any kitchen should be able to make.  Seriously, it's not that difficult.  There are what, 5 ingredients?

A decent roll is a bit more challenging, I suppose.

On 6/24/2023 at 12:23 AM, Jim B said:

I really really like Regent, and have been on a number of cruises and have 5 booked.

One thing that bugs me is I can not get a decent roll in the morning for breakfast.

What they have are dry, flaky, with some type of fruit on them. 

COME ON!!   Lets have a nice large cinnamon roll, or Carmel  roll. Even a sticky bun, ( Oceania has them), so why can't Regent. 

Real unhealthy I know, but boy it sure would be nice.

Oh!  And we should be able to get a BLT sandwich at lunch time at the pool grill or Compass Rose everyday.

I think what you are describing is a pain au raisin?  A European type of pastry.  But I could be wrong, as I've not seen the ones on board personally.  As a Brit, I don't even know what a Carmel roll is!!  And I suspect a sticky bun is also something different over here 🙂 

17 hours ago, welshfamily said:

can I ask what the croissants like? and the other pastries treats?

It depends entirely on the pastry chef on board. In December on the Splendor the croissants were stretchy perfection. You could pull one end and pretty much turn the pastry inside out. So good.

I just got off the Voyager, and the croissants were NOT good. They were more like bread than pastry. The doughnuts were tough (I couldn't cut them with a knife. No kidding), and the scones at tea-time were like rocks.  You'd better believe I commented in the survey. I have never had such poor pastries on a Regent ship, or pretty much anywhere!

This was my fourth Regent cruise, and the first time I had complaints with the baked goods.

I agree with RELS!  That also are my feelings.

Wow Jane Mitchell. Boy have you been deprived. No that is not a good description.

Oh and I like raisins, but not in my rolls. Think it is more of a texture thing, than the raisins.

53 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

Are you the famous country singer?

She can't be very famous. I had to Google her.

When I signed up for Cruise Critic, the first several names I tried using Jeannie were taken. Desperately, I tried to come up with a new name, and there it was just sitting all lonely-like on a plate in my kitchen!

35 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Could you be referring to the musician of the early days of jazz/blues music, known as Jelly Roll Morton?  I understand the meaning of his nickname was a touch vulgar.

No, Jelly Roll aka Jason Bradley DeFord.  He's a pretty new country/western singer. 

Anyways, that's a bit off track from the original topic of cinnamon rolls.