Taxi from Port Everglades

Likes2cruise

Just now, Likes2cruise said:

Have you ever taken a taxi from Porti Everglades to the Miami airport?  Solo traveler has a flight that leaves 15 minutes too early to use Princess transfer.  

Yes, and don't recommend it..

Taxis are metered - so you're paying for sitting at stoplights, sitting in traffic, etc. It's not a fixed rate.. 

Uber or Lyft is much better. Fixed rate, cleaner and more comfortable vehicles. You can prebook so their waiting for you or order that morning. 

Or, Uber or Lyft to the Tri-Rail station and take the train for $5, straight to MIA airport. This is the Cheapest option.. 

1 hour ago, Likes2cruise said:

Have you ever taken a taxi from Porti Everglades to the Miami airport?  Solo traveler has a flight that leaves 15 minutes too early to use Princess transfer.  

We are booked on the Emerald to arrive in Port Everglades on the 20th of April 2024. The cruise personalizer does not give me the option for transfer to Miami Airport only FLL.

Did I miss something?

Already booked flights from Miami to LAX

2 hours ago, gvre said:

We are booked on the Emerald to arrive in Port Everglades on the 20th of April 2024. The cruise personalizer does not give me the option for transfer to Miami Airport only FLL.

Did I miss something?

Already booked flights from Miami to LAX

Check your airline to see if they have a no change fee policy.  Then cancel your flight and rebook it for FLL to LAX.  FLL airport is minutes away.  You will save transfer costs for any rise in airfare.  Same for EZ Air.

JetBlue, Delta, American will all fly to LAX.  There may not be a direct flight going West.  

5 hours ago, Likes2cruise said:

You didn’t mention what day of the week it would be. Even with an early port arrival and ship disembarkation, trying to get from Port Everglades to MIA during weekday rush hour traffic is a nightmare at best. If you’re talking about a flight that leaves 15 minutes too early for Princess to provide a transfer, you probably won’t make it. As other posters have mentioned, try to fly out of FLL.  It’s a significantly smaller and easier to navigate airport than MIA.

While I really prefer flying into FLL, yes it is possible to use a taxi or rideshare to go between Port Everglades and MIA. We have done the opposite (MIA to Ft. Lauderdale pre-cruise), due to much cheaper flights into MIA than we could get into FLL (even after factoring in the $100 ride). Just be sure you have enough time.

Appreciate all the advice.  I have always used FLL, but flights after this cruise just weren't working out.  My TA suggested using MIA.  It will be a Sunday with a 12:50 flight.  I was told that Princess does transfers for flights after 1:00.  Will look into Uber.  Any other past experiences with MIA would be helpful.

Be careful with the taxis in FLL - from the port, they often do not put the meter on - it is a really short ride..less than $20, then they will try to rip you off with a much higher rate. If we take a taxi, first thing we do is check to see he put the meter "on".

2 hours ago, Likes2cruise said:

Appreciate all the advice.  I have always used FLL, but flights after this cruise just weren't working out.  My TA suggested using MIA.  It will be a Sunday with a 12:50 flight.  I was told that Princess does transfers for flights after 1:00.  Will look into Uber.  Any other past experiences with MIA would be helpful.

Uber's definitely going to be the way.  You can pre-schedule a pickup.  You'll want to be confident in your pickup time, though.  The driver is only required to sit and wait for you for a limited amount of time, so if you undershoot how long it will take to disembark and get through luggage/customs, they may cancel your ride and you'll be left to look for one on the spot.  I assume you'll have wifi on the ship and can schedule up your pickup once you know your disembark time.  Having said that, I'd be surprised if you weren't able to snag an Uber on the spot without much trouble. Plenty of them circle the cruise port looking for fares.  Still, the peace of mind of a scheduled pickup is nice.

Are you comfortable using uber? It is the best bet .....but....there can be issues with snarls of cars, taxis, busses and everything else at your disembark area.

I would use the "Early Walk Off" feature for this morning and you get put into the fist group to leave the ship. This means you take your own bags...if you are OK with that it usually happens 6:30 to 7:00.

If you have Global ID you can get through customs pretty quickly and then disembark.

The easiest thing is to get into a cab as there is always scores of them entering the area...but...this is not the cheapest choice...only you can decide which choice you are comfortable with

Good luck!

4 hours ago, Likes2cruise said:

You'll be just fine. 

Uber or Lyft.

Or taxi/Uber or Lyft to Tri-Rail station and take the trian for $5 directly to MIA airport itself. Cheapest option. Trains run hourly, and it's about a 40 minutes ride. 

If you're off the ship by 7:30, you can make the 8:03 train and you're to the airport before 9am.

Off by 8:15 or so you can make the 9:03 train, and you're to the airport before 10. 

And so forth..

Uber/Lyft will run around $100, give or take (surge pricing with cruise pickup), and take about an hour. There's multiple routes to get to Miami, and traffic isn't awful on Sunday mornings. You're good. 

Enjoy 

Do the early self walk off. Customs is usually no problem for the early walk off crowd. Get a cab or Uber and head to MIA. You should have no problem with Miami traffic at that time of day on a Sunday. You will have plenty of time. 

Once you’re at MIA and you clear TSA, look to see if there is a La Carreta Cuban Restaurant near your gate.  Order a cafe con leche (Cuban coffee and milk) and a guava pastelito. 

14 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Check your airline to see if they have a no change fee policy.  Then cancel your flight and rebook it for FLL to LAX.  FLL airport is minutes away.  You will save transfer costs for any rise in airfare.  Same for EZ Air.

JetBlue, Delta, American will all fly to LAX.  There may not be a direct flight going West.  

Our flight leaves Miami at 12 noon. It's a Saturday shouldn't I be able to make it to the Airport if I get off the ship at 8am and take a taxi?

52 minutes ago, gvre said:

Our flight leaves Miami at 12 noon. It's a Saturday shouldn't I be able to make it to the Airport if I get off the ship at 8am and take a taxi?

100%.

It's an hour from Port Everglades to MIA, even with traffic, there's loads of different side routes. 

Assuming you're off the ship by 8 at the latest, you have no problem. 

A taxi is going to be crazy expensive, as it's metered - and you end up paying for the time you're sitting at red lights or in traffic, etc.

Uber or Lyft for door to door. 

Uber or Lyft, or taxi to Tri-Rail station and catch the 8:03 train to MIA and skip traffic completely. 

Edited by reedprincess
  • Like 1

Just now, reedprincess said:

100%.

It's an hour from Port Everglades to MIA, even with traffic, there's loads of different side routes. 

Assuming you're off the ship by 8 at the latest, you have no problem. 

Thanks!!