Looking for a sleuth

klfrodo

Specifically BA288 and BA289

These are British Airways flights to and from PHX/LHR

Daily R/T scheduled flights of which I'm booked on in Sept.

However, according to FlightAware and Flightradar24, these flights have not flown since June 19th.

I'm trying to figure out why. Just looking for a heads-up on any potential issues that I may need to be aware of and maybe get ahead of.

Thanks for any help and/or understanding of flight operations.

Could not find anything more specific, but will continue to help you out...

According to FlightAware, as of June 28, 2023, BA288 has been on time 50% of the time since June 19, 2023, and BA289 has been on time 40% of the time in the same time period.

This is per my AI...

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

34 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

I'd put a little money on it being a recurring problem at the moment: a shortage of aircraft.

Any suggestions?

I'm the type of person who easily rolls with what life hands you. But, I am the person who usually has back-up plans in place should the unforeseen happen. As of right now, should this flight be canceled, BA and AS will get me to London, but, will they get me to London in Club World? Is there something I should be doing to be proactive? Where do I fall in the priority list of accommodations when rebooking a passenger who is using Award tickets?

Or, am I totally overthinking this seeing as we are 90 days out from actual travel dates?

32 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Or, am I totally overthinking this seeing as we are 90 days out from actual travel dates?

It's not unreasonable to think about managing your downside risk.  However, it looks like service is returning starting on the 1st of July according to Flight Radar 24.   I flew on this flight not too long ago and I can attest that the flight in both directions was quite busy, so it seems that the route is at least somewhat successful and will be maintained.

I personally like the theory of airplane availability put forward by @Globaliser as driver behind this service interruption.  My guess is that something happened during an aircraft maintenance check either in terms of an unexpected problem or perhaps even parts/labor availability.  Maybe the yield on this route is lower than some others and that is why it was sacrificed by BA for a couple of weeks?

• Thanks 1

BA cancelled my LHR-EWR leg (VCE-LHR-EWR) last month, probably since my flight was not particularly full per Expert Flyer (not 100% sure if that is the reason it cancelled but it cancelled the night before my flight)

I was booked, via cruise air, in Club World and they kept me in Club World, albeit in a not yet updated aircraft with front and rear facing seats.  Aside from zero privacy, not much room and really no little spots to stash stuff except a stupid, hard to access drawer, I didn't have any issues with the change or being rebooked.  (It all happened automatically).

48 minutes ago, megr1125 said:

BA cancelled my LHR-EWR leg (VCE-LHR-EWR) last month, probably since my flight was not particularly full per Expert Flyer (not 100% sure if that is the reason it cancelled but it cancelled the night before my flight)

I was booked, via cruise air, in Club World and they kept me in Club World, albeit in a not yet updated aircraft with front and rear facing seats.  Aside from zero privacy, not much room and really no little spots to stash stuff except a stupid, hard to access drawer, I didn't have any issues with the change or being rebooked.  (It all happened automatically).

Unlikely it was cancelled due to lack of sales. Remember, that plane may take you from A to B, but people were also counting on being taken from B to A (assuming the airline uses the hub and spoke system).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Unlikely it was cancelled due to lack of sales. Remember, that plane may take you from A to B, but people were also counting on being taken from B to A (assuming the airline uses the hub and spoke system).

And cargo. Often times, passengers are only a (sometimes surprisingly small) portion of the money being made on the flight. There are some flights I've heard exist just because of cargo, and the passengers up top are practically just a bonus. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1