With Apologies - Extra Tipping for us regular/lower class passengers

Dreamscaper

I personally do not witness a lot of tipping on cruises. If people do then it is pretty subtle. I agree that mentioning great service by name on the survey seems to be very much appreciated by the staff. 

We cruise like you, an interior or window and occasional balcony, and it is just the two of us and we are not high maintenance. We will tip extra for service above and beyond, otherwise just the auto-tip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

It’s easy, really.  Leave on the auto tips and let Princess distribute them as they and the crew have contracted.  Give extra cash to those who have gone above your expectations and you feel deserve the recognition.  Perhaps, offer a little something to the people who deliver your room service orders, even if only a couple of dollars.

It’s completely up to you and you won’t be judged if you just leave the auto tips in place and choose not to give extra cash.  It’s your vacation and your money, so enjoy yourself.

If you should decide to remove the auto tips, then we’re gonna have a problem.  Please don’t do that.

Very well said!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There really is no way for anybody here to know whether tipping is common or not. I only know what I personally do with my money and I assume most people are the same. I've never gone on a cruise and felt like any of the staff was expecting a tip.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thrak said:

You are already automagically charged an 18% gratuity on every drink you order...

Unless you have a drink plan. I can guarantee you that on our 8-10 drinks a day ran the included tip could not be very much

• Like 1

After a quick read of the Princess gratuity policy, I wonder why anyone would think there is a need to double tip.  From the Princess website:

"The "Crew Appreciation" is a daily amount for each guest that will be automatically added to your onboard account for your convenience, to recognize the efforts of a wide variety of crewmembers who contribute to the experiences of all our guests.  The crewmembers eligible to receive these funds work in various departments, many of whom rotate among different ships, throughout our fleet of ships. The amount of the Crew Appreciation will be based on stateroom category, as set out below:

Stateroom Category Daily amount per guest
Interior, Oceanview and Balcony US $16
Mini-Suite and Reserve Collection US $17
Suites US $18

We pride ourselves on excellent guest satisfaction and our onboard team is available to immediately address any concerns you may have about your cruise. In the unlikely event you remain dissatisfied for any reason, the Crew Appreciation is subject to adjustment, at your discretion, at any time during the cruise up to the time you settle your onboard account prior to disembarkation. If you do not choose to adjust this daily charge while on board, your payment becomes final and nonrefundable.

A nonrefundable Service Charge of 17% - 18% of purchase will be automatically added to optional purchases of beverage packages, drinks, dining room and specialty dining, private group functions, and other elected products, services or amenities provided to guests that are not included in the Cruise Fare.  The Service Charge amount is based upon the service/product purchased and is applied as follows:

Service/Product Service Charge
Specialty Dining 17% (included in total cover charge)
Specialty Food Items 17% (included in total item charge)
Drink Packages 18%
Drinks 18%
Corkage Fee 18% (included in total charge)
Private Group Functions 18% (of total cost)
Spa Services* 18%

* Service Charge payments for spa services are not pooled for the fleet.

If you pre-paid the Crew Appreciation and/or Service Charge as part of an all-inclusive or other applicable package: (i) the payments are bundled into your fare; (ii) the payments are nonrefundable from the time of purchase, except as part of the cruise fare, which refund shall be provided in accordance with our cancelation policy; and (iii) no additional amount will be added to your onboard account for the Crew Appreciation or for those Service Charges covered by such package.

All of the Crew Appreciation and Service Charge payments made by all guests on all ships in our fleet are pooled, net of credit card transaction fees. The pooled funds are distributed throughout the year in the form of compensation, including bonuses, to crewmembers fleetwide who interact directly with guests and/or behind the scenes throughout every cruise, including those in the Bar, Dining, Entertainment, Housekeeping, Guest Services, Galley and Onboard Revenue areas.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, mnocket said:

No you will not see people leaving tips on the table left and right.  For instance, I would estimate that when I'm sitting in a bar I only notice 5-10% of the patrons leave a tip.  A small minority. It's totally a personal choice.

Thanks!  I was just worried that that percentage was a lot higher and that I should bring even more cash for tips than what I had been originally planning on.

8 hours ago, dides said:

We also try and make a note of any crew members names if we received great service and mention them in the post-cruise survey in the hope that it helps in their performance reviews (and chance of being promoted).Just another form of gratitude. 

Excellent idea!  Thanks!

6 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Do not feel as though you have to tip extra.  I don’t see a lot of extra tipping. 

That is the whole reason for the daily gratuities added to your bill.

We always tip room service a couple

of dollars each time, because they are not part of the tipping pool. 

There are so many threads on this subject, that you’re going to get a lot of opinions, but it’s really a very personal decision.  No worries, enjoy your cruise.

This was my thought as well, I was just worried that it was different on Princess and extra tipping was more expected than not.

I didn't know that room service wasn't part of the tipping pool.  That seems unfair to them.  We'd normally tip them anyway but I'll be sure to give a bit more seeing as it's their only tip!

3 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

It’s easy, really.  Leave on the auto tips and let Princess distribute them as they and the crew have contracted.  Give extra cash to those who have gone above your expectations and you feel deserve the recognition.  Perhaps, offer a little something to the people who deliver your room service orders, even if only a couple of dollars.

It’s completely up to you and you won’t be judged if you just leave the auto tips in place and choose not to give extra cash.  It’s your vacation and your money, so enjoy yourself.

If you should decide to remove the auto tips, then we’re gonna have a problem.  Please don’t do that.

Thank you, this is exactly what I had planned (and still plan) on doing.  Again, I was just concerned that it wouldn't be enough if most the other passengers were handing over extras for every little (standard) thing.

I'll definitely still give extra for outstanding service or if I frequent them a lot, and no I would never take off the auto tips (the thought that people do this and don't give equivalent or better cash tips in lieu) really ticks me off too!)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Plus was purchased so tips cannot be reduced or removed.

Actually, I wasn’t directing my comments to the OP,  just generally speaking.  Of course, you are correct about the packages.

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

After a quick read of the Princess gratuity policy, I wonder why anyone would think there is a need to double tip.  From the Princess website:

"The "Crew Appreciation" is a daily amount for each guest that will be automatically added to your onboard account for your convenience, to recognize the efforts of a wide variety of crewmembers who contribute to the experiences of all our guests.  The crewmembers eligible to receive these funds work in various departments, many of whom rotate among different ships, throughout our fleet of ships. The amount of the Crew Appreciation will be based on stateroom category, as set out below:

Stateroom Category Daily amount per guest
Interior, Oceanview and Balcony US $16
Mini-Suite and Reserve Collection US $17
Suites US $18

We pride ourselves on excellent guest satisfaction and our onboard team is available to immediately address any concerns you may have about your cruise. In the unlikely event you remain dissatisfied for any reason, the Crew Appreciation is subject to adjustment, at your discretion, at any time during the cruise up to the time you settle your onboard account prior to disembarkation. If you do not choose to adjust this daily charge while on board, your payment becomes final and nonrefundable.

A nonrefundable Service Charge of 17% - 18% of purchase will be automatically added to optional purchases of beverage packages, drinks, dining room and specialty dining, private group functions, and other elected products, services or amenities provided to guests that are not included in the Cruise Fare.  The Service Charge amount is based upon the service/product purchased and is applied as follows:

Service/Product Service Charge
Specialty Dining 17% (included in total cover charge)
Specialty Food Items 17% (included in total item charge)
Drink Packages 18%
Drinks 18%
Corkage Fee 18% (included in total charge)
Private Group Functions 18% (of total cost)
Spa Services* 18%

* Service Charge payments for spa services are not pooled for the fleet.

If you pre-paid the Crew Appreciation and/or Service Charge as part of an all-inclusive or other applicable package: (i) the payments are bundled into your fare; (ii) the payments are nonrefundable from the time of purchase, except as part of the cruise fare, which refund shall be provided in accordance with our cancelation policy; and (iii) no additional amount will be added to your onboard account for the Crew Appreciation or for those Service Charges covered by such package.

All of the Crew Appreciation and Service Charge payments made by all guests on all ships in our fleet are pooled, net of credit card transaction fees. The pooled funds are distributed throughout the year in the form of compensation, including bonuses, to crewmembers fleetwide who interact directly with guests and/or behind the scenes throughout every cruise, including those in the Bar, Dining, Entertainment, Housekeeping, Guest Services, Galley and Onboard Revenue areas.

I'm in a balcony, so my crew appreciation amounts to $16 per day, which seems a bit low considering how many people will be serving us. Though I won't be handing over a cash tip for each and every interaction.

I assume the service charges aren't applied to the Princess Plus portion of my cruise fare, but would be applied to things like specialty dining (I'll have to remember this when we go for our dinner at the Crown Grill) or other add ons.    

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dreamscaper said:

Thank you, this is exactly what I had planned (and still plan) on doing.  Again, I was just concerned that it wouldn't be enough if most the other passengers were handing over extras for every little (standard) thing.

I'll definitely still give extra for outstanding service or if I frequent them a lot, and no I would never take off the auto tips (the thought that people do this and don't give equivalent or better cash tips in lieu) really ticks me off too!)

This makes me smile.  We’re such typical Canadians, always wanting to do the right thing and not offend anyone.  Don’t worry, you’ll be just fine, just do what your gut tells you.  I can tell your heart is in the right place and you will have a wonderful time!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Dreamscaper said:

I didn't know that room service wasn't part of the tipping pool.  That seems unfair to them.  We'd normally tip them anyway but I'll be sure to give a bit more seeing as it's their only tip!

Here is what Princess says:

2 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

This makes me smile.  We’re such typical Canadians, always wanting to do the right thing and not offend anyone.  Don’t worry, you’ll be just fine, just do what your gut tells you.  I can tell your heart is in the right place and you will have a wonderful time!

Exactly this *laughs*.  Thank you so much!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mtnesterz said:

Here is what Princess says:

I think housekeeping would be your stateroom attendants (cleaners), but by room service I think they meant the ones that would deliver food ordered to your stateroom.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Do not feel as though you have to tip extra.  I don’t see a lot of extra tipping. 

That is the whole reason for the daily gratuities added to your bill.

We always tip room service a couple

of dollars each time, because they are not part of the tipping pool. 

There are so many threads on this subject, that you’re going to get a lot of opinions, but it’s really a very personal decision.  No worries, enjoy your cruise.

I didn't realize they weren't part of the tipping pool.   Where did you learn this? 

• Like 1

It runs the gamut from the cheapskates who remove the automatic tips on their final night to those who throw money at every crew member who crosses their path.  The only extra money I spend (above the std included in the Plus package) is a little extra cash to bartenders and servers in bars. I like them to remember me and maybe a few bucks upfront helps with that.

I am not watching what other people are doing.  I would suggest that anyone who can tell you what “everyone else is doing” aren’t enjoying themselves on their cruise the way you’re supposed to.  Or possibly have a serious OCD issue.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dreamscaper said:

I think housekeeping would be your stateroom attendants (cleaners), but by room service I think they meant the ones that would deliver food ordered to your stateroom.

Oops, my bad on the bold text. That said, wouldn't it be either bar staff that deliver drinks, dining staff that deliver food or generally covered by, "staff who interact directly with guests?"  Like TN-Mountains, curious to know the exception. Don't get me wrong, please do tip as you feel inclined.

• Like 1

I know a couple of crew who work bar, buffet and room service.  They are all part of the tipping pool.  I've run into the same gentleman in 3 different capacities in the same day, several days in a row, especially on a B2B

So I KNOW room service is part of the tipping pool. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

OP please don't put yourself down by referring to yourself as cattle class.  Honestly everyone who takes a mass market cruise is cattle class.  Do not tip out of guilt.  You are already tipping the suggested amount that is set up by the company to make everyone happy.   That's all you have to do.  You're done.  Worrying about what others do will drive you crazy.  You are on vacation.   Worry is not part of it.  Bon Voyage. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2