Lobster thermidore?

LadyBerard

Although I grew up in RI and have lived in MA now and have had lobster saute', steamed lobster, baked stuffed lobster, I have never had lobster thermidore.  We will be celebrating my 60th birthday in LeBistro this August on the Pearl.  Can someone explain to me how lobster thermidore is different and is it worth the upcharge of $25 in your opinion?  Thanks.

47 minutes ago, LadyBerard said:

Although I grew up in RI and have lived in MA now and have had lobster saute', steamed lobster, baked stuffed lobster, I have never had lobster thermidore.  We will be celebrating my 60th birthday in LeBistro this August on the Pearl.  Can someone explain to me how lobster thermidore is different and is it worth the upcharge of $25 in your opinion?  Thanks.

47 minutes ago, LadyBerard said:

Aloha.  You should google the recipe but generally and there are slight differences in preparation it is cream based with the lobster meat removed from the shell and then after sautéed placed back in. It is very rich and absolutely delicious.  Given the mass market of preparation on a ship, it may not be as good as a land restaurant but in my opinion worth ordering if it is available. Please keep us posted!

3 hours ago, LadyBerard said:Can someone explain to me how lobster thermidore is different and is it worth the upcharge of $25 in your opinion?  Thanks.

The Lobster Thermidor on the N Dawn was ‘hit and miss’. Mine was a ‘miss’. Still, worth a try. Cheers…

p.s. Lived not far away near 123 and 24.

3 hours ago, LadyBerard said:

Although I grew up in RI and have lived in MA now and have had lobster saute', steamed lobster, baked stuffed lobster, I have never had lobster thermidore.  

Lobster thermidor is a dish you can make when the boiled lobster is left over and no longer fresh. The heavy sauce will hid any off flavor of the lobster meat.

It is also a good recipe to extend the left over meat to feed more people as the chopped chunks of lobster meat an be spread among more people.

As you live in a part of the  country where fresh cold water lobster is available, you may find not find the overprocessed lobster meat in this dish appealing.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Carpe-Diem said:

This is from the Gem in December 2021. Not sure if it has changed since then. It was very good. 

IMG_4589.jpeg

What are the dark chunks and gray pieces in this presentation? Did they use mushrooms and other fish to extend the filling?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

What are the dark chunks and gray pieces in this presentation? Did they use mushrooms and other fish to extend the filling?

I don’t remember. Might have been mushrooms but don’t hold me to it. 

Going against the grain. but the Lobster Thermador I had at LeBistro twice was the worst meal I had on two of my cruises.  It was like they tried to mask the toughness of the Lobster with gobs and gobs of sauce.  And, the sauce wasn't that good to begin with.

Steaks in LeBistro are a much better bet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Going against the grain. but the Lobster Thermador I had at LeBistro twice was the worst meal I had on two of my cruises.  It was like they tried to mask the toughness of the Lobster with gobs and gobs of sauce.  And, the sauce wasn't that good to begin with.

Steaks in LeBistro are a much better bet.

We loved the thermadore.  I wouldn't order the steaks since they have foie gras on top.  (I hate liver.)

9 hours ago, LadyBerard said:

We have had it a couple of times in Le Bistro when the surcharge was considerably less.  Ours turned out to be very tasty, although as others have said, NCL uses warm water lobster.  The cream, mushrooms, onions, cheese, and other ingredients tend to hide the flavor of the lobster, but we still found it to be worth the price.  For a $25 surcharge, though, and particularly since you come from an area where fresh cold water lobster is readily available, it may not be the best choice.  You might also consider the lemon Sole or a steak.  I used to really love the Le Bistro version of pepper steak, Boeuf au Cinque Poivre.  They took it off the menu a couple of years ago, darn it.

11 hours ago, LadyBerard said:

The surcharge is because it is lobster. No other reason. We’ll order either the lobster Thermidor or Filet with Foie Gras or both. 

Dark items are mushrooms. 

It is lovely!  

IMG_3890.thumb.jpeg.ae1f79414f96c6dfd273e501d0e60f6a.jpeg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Dark items are mushrooms. 

It is lovely!  

IMG_3890.thumb.jpeg.ae1f79414f96c6dfd273e501d0e60f6a.jpeg

What is the gray colored chunks of meat (definitely not lobster)?

Is it monkfish or another fish left over from the day before?

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

We loved the thermadore.  I wouldn't order the steaks since they have foie gras on top.  (I hate liver.)

I’m in the minority, but I’ll forego LeBistro if given a choice of the other Specialty Restaurants.  

I had Coq au Van there, also.  It was so salty I literally couldn’t eat it.

I did have the Sea Bass which was pretty good.  French Onion soup is good.  

But, getting a good meal there is literally a 50-50 proposition in my experiences.

• Like 1

I've also found Le Bistro hit and miss.  I used to love their Fruits de Mer and the chocolate fondue, but those we taken off the menu along with the steak au pourve (sp?) which was DH's favorite.  I keep trying different things to find my new favorite.  I did try the lobster thermidore and thought it was okay but not worth the upcharge.  I did find both of the other 2 fish dishes excellent though, so I now have a new favorite in the sole.

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

I’m in the minority, but I’ll forego LeBistro if given a choice of the other Specialty Restaurants.  

I've always found the service in Le Bistro to be better than the other restaurants, which is why I always go.  Cagney's is usually my favorite meal, though there have been "misses" on some ships.  But usually the service at Cagney's is a bit less attentive in my experience. 

My niece is vegetarian and I know she's looking forward to the cauliflower steak (hard pass from me) so we'll go back to Le Bistro on my upcoming cruise.

Edited by phillygwm

5 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

I've always found the service in Le Bistro to be better than the other restaurants, which is why I always go.  Cagney's is usually my favorite meal, though there have been "misses" on some ships.  But usually the service at Cagney's is a bit less attentive in my experience. 

My niece is vegetarian and I know she's looking forward to the cauliflower steak (hard pass from me) so we'll go back to Le Bistro on my upcoming cruise.

I totally understand the pass on cauliflower steak.  Cauliflower is not meat.  LOL!

Service in Ocean Blue has been the best from my experience.

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I had Coq au Van there, also.  It was so salty I literally couldn’t eat it.

I did have the Sea Bass which was pretty good.  French Onion soup is good.  

But, getting a good meal there is literally a 50-50 proposition in my experiences.

Well, tastes vary.  Chef's vary.

Wife liked Coq au vin.  It's made from dark meat chicken which I won't touch.

We both liked the thermador and I liked the sole.

I can't find anything at the other specialty restaurants.  I can get good BBQ, seafood, and italian food at home.  My wife veto's Cagney's because she believes my steaks are much better.  I do a reverse sear which can take well over an hour cooking time but it makes for an incredible tender steak.  So, therefore, it's Le Bistro or the Haven for us.   

• Like 1