Is this crazy (and yes, I know it's expensive). Princess tour in Rome after final docking

MudderBear

We will dock in Rome at 6:00am.  I really can't get a flight back to the USA later that day without it taking us a million hours, so I decided we should spend the night in Rome.  Since we've been to  Rome before and we have an early morning flight out of FCO, I would like to book a hotel at the Hilton at the airport.  This is where my question comes in.

Is it crazy to book a Rome excursion with Princess for that day (Saturday) that we dock?  They run about 8 hours and yes, they cost alot.  From reading the description, it seems as though the bus takes you back to the cruise port later that afternoon.  I figure I'd do the Princess Tour, get dropped off at the cruise terminal and then taxi up to the airport.  Is this nuts?  Or does Princess offer (and I couldn't find) any tour in Rome that actually takes you TO THE AIRPORT?  

At first I was thinking I'd get off the cruise ship and take their transfer up to the airport and hopefully check into my hotel.  If not that, at least I can hopefully have them store my luggage and then we'd travel back into the City.  But I'd rather NOT do that stuff on my own.  As I get older, (and just really new to traveling in Europe), I'd rather shell out the money instead of trying to do things on my own.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

We did a private excursion, dropping us at the airport Hilton. No, its not crazy to do a Princess tour, but I think, as you can customize a private tour, the better option would be a private tour. That will help you perhaps see something you haven't seen before. Rome in Limo is wonderful for this.

Now taking a tour that drops you back at Civi, and THEN a taxi to the airport, does sound a little crazy to me.

Almost all of the cruise ships offer a combination tour/transfer to the airport on disembarkation day. I've seen many offered for Rome in the past. Sometimes they are not posted in advance of travel but can only be booked once onboard the ship.

If you have a travel agent, perhaps you could get them to enquire with Princess whether this is the case for your cruise. Even if you can't book it now, you should be able to do it onboard.

However, CruiserBruce raises a good point. If you've been to Rome before as you indicate, it's likely that the tours offered are going to retrace a lot of ground, and will already be fairly pricey. If you are traveling solo, the cost will still be cheaper than a private tour though. If you are a couple or family, it would be a no-brainer to look at a private tour -- will probably cost no more and you can see what YOU. want to see...

Check out romecabs.com.  They offer this kind of tour-transfer. You have many options since you are not limited by time.

Also consider staying in the town of Fiumicino instead of the airport hotel. It is a pleasant seaside town with good restaurants.   It is only a 10 minute taxi ride from the airport.

• Like 1

A private tour seems like a good option here.   Plus, you don't need to worry about returning in time to the ship, which is one of the selling points of a Ship's excursion.  

My Princess cruise that is ending in Rome in February is showing a debark tour that would drop you off at Fiumcino.  The tour is St. Peter’s Basilica and the Colosseum, only you don’t actually tour the Collosseum:

Disembarkation day offers a wonderful opportunity to explore Rome on a guided walking tour, highlighting key sights. A scenic 90-minute motorcoach drive from the port of Civitavecchia includes such exciting landmarks as Castel S. Angelo, Circus Maximus, Arch of Constantine and the Colosseum. A stroll brings you to spectacular St. Peter's Basilica, regarded as one of the holiest and the greatest of all churches of Christendom. Michelangelo's famous "Pieta" masterpiece is located inside. Following your tour of the Basilica, enjoy free time to shop for souvenirs at St. Peter's Square. 
The tour concludes at Ostiense Train Station or conveniently at Leonardo da Vinci airport (FCO) for flights departing after 5:00 p.m.  This one is showing $179.95 for adults.

There is one other debark tour available for $229.95 focused on the Vatican, the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter’s only that tour would drop you at Ostiense train station and not at FCO at the end. Disembarkation day offers a wonderful opportunity to explore Rome on a guided walking tour, highlighting key cultural and historical sights. Your tour's first stop is the spectacular Vatican Museum, a complex that houses one of the most impressive and varied collections of art in the world. Visit the famed Sistine Chapel, home to the masterpieces of the great artist Michelangelo. Step outside into the fresh air and stroll through St. Peter's Square, a striking plaza that frames the entrance to St. Peter's Basilica. Located on the site where St. Peter was martyred and buried, the basilica holds 60,000 people and is regarded as one of the holiest and the greatest of all churches of Christendom. Enjoy the majesty of the Basilica from outside, as your Guide provides a thorough explanation. The tour concludes at the Ostiense Train Station.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2023 at 7:40 PM, katmu said:

My Princess cruise that is ending in Rome in February is showing a debark tour that would drop you off at Fiumcino.  The tour is St. Peter’s Basilica and the Colosseum, only you don’t actually tour the Collosseum:

Disembarkation day offers a wonderful opportunity to explore Rome on a guided walking tour, highlighting key sights. A scenic 90-minute motorcoach drive from the port of Civitavecchia includes such exciting landmarks as Castel S. Angelo, Circus Maximus, Arch of Constantine and the Colosseum. A stroll brings you to spectacular St. Peter's Basilica, regarded as one of the holiest and the greatest of all churches of Christendom. Michelangelo's famous "Pieta" masterpiece is located inside. Following your tour of the Basilica, enjoy free time to shop for souvenirs at St. Peter's Square. 
The tour concludes at Ostiense Train Station or conveniently at Leonardo da Vinci airport (FCO) for flights departing after 5:00 p.m.  This one is showing $179.95 for adults.

There is one other debark tour available for $229.95 focused on the Vatican, the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter’s only that tour would drop you at Ostiense train station and not at FCO at the end. Disembarkation day offers a wonderful opportunity to explore Rome on a guided walking tour, highlighting key cultural and historical sights. Your tour's first stop is the spectacular Vatican Museum, a complex that houses one of the most impressive and varied collections of art in the world. Visit the famed Sistine Chapel, home to the masterpieces of the great artist Michelangelo. Step outside into the fresh air and stroll through St. Peter's Square, a striking plaza that frames the entrance to St. Peter's Basilica. Located on the site where St. Peter was martyred and buried, the basilica holds 60,000 people and is regarded as one of the holiest and the greatest of all churches of Christendom. Enjoy the majesty of the Basilica from outside, as your Guide provides a thorough explanation. The tour concludes at the Ostiense Train Station.

I took the disembarkation post cruise excursion for $179.95. I had wanted the other excursion but it was cancelled.  We saw what was posted on the excursion description.  It was a great way to see Rome on the way to FCO.  The bus let people off at the train station then the rest were dropped off at FCO.  We arrived at FCO mid afternoon.

I got off at FCO, walked through the airport to Hilton Rome Airport (covered walkway to the hotel).  We had a flight the next morning.

Edited by phabric

9 hours ago, phabric said:

I took the disembarkation post cruise excursion for $179.95. I had wanted the other excursion but it was cancelled.  We saw what was posted on the excursion description.  It was a great way to see Rome on the way to FCO.  The bus let people off at the train station then the rest were dropped off at FCO.  We arrived at FCO mid afternoon.

I got off at FCO, walked through the airport to Hilton Rome Airport (covered walkway to the hotel).  We had a flight the next morning.

I looked into this, but it seems as though the whole thing ends at 12:30.  I'm also booked at the Hilton for the next morning flight.  It makes more sense to me to take the princess shuttle up to the FCO airport for $79 each, and then take The Hilton's free shuttle into Rome and back.  Do you remember around what time you ended up at the FCO/Hilton Hotel area?

1 hour ago, MudderBear said:

I looked into this, but it seems as though the whole thing ends at 12:30.  I'm also booked at the Hilton for the next morning flight.  It makes more sense to me to take the princess shuttle up to the FCO airport for $79 each, and then take The Hilton's free shuttle into Rome and back.  Do you remember around what time you ended up at the FCO/Hilton Hotel area?

I wrote to the Hilton Rome Airport about their shuttle into Rome, they no longer offer the shuttle.  They mention that the train station is close to the airport.  This is what they send me.

We had not been to Rome before, so I thought it was a great way to see some of Rome sites before getting to the hotel.

I am not sure of the since it was 2019, in was mid afternoon, we walked through the airport, checked in, rested a bite, then dinner.

IMG_0997.jpeg

Edited by phabric

Ok, hum.  Well, I guess I'll wait till next year right before my cruise and I'll reach out to the hotel.  I guess it won't matter if I use their shuttle (if it exists) or the train.  Thanks for the heads up.