Gratuities

SailorJack

On 7/25/2023 at 3:53 PM, WayneLaR said:

My issue with the auto-grats  and some lines not divulging information about the program is that I am not confident the entirety of the money goes to the crew.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are many lines that are taking 10%?-20%? or more off the top as an administration/accounting/payroll burden.   The "vig" if you will.

If lines would come out and unequivocally state the entirety of the grats collected are returned to the crew, I think most people would have no issues with this type of program.

Keep in mind that NCLH, RCL, and CCL  all list on US stock exchanges.  As a result they must follow US accounting rules.  Under those rules gratuities are treated off books, not a revenue when they are received, nor as Expenses when they are paid out.  However to get that status certain rules must be followed.  1.  They must be optional (can be removed or the amount changed  and 2. All funds received must go to the employees that are part of the pool.

Under those rules the only legal charges that a company can make on those funds is the actual expense for credit card charges when those fees are paid by credit card.  No other administration fees are allowed.

Pretty clear that if a company decided not to follow the rules and not give the funds received to employees you would see 2 things.  1. the ability to change or remove gratuities would go away since it is the major  reason to allow it  and 2. You would see an impact in the 10Q and 10K filings that would make it pretty clear that gratuities were on the books.

Edited by ldtr

2 hours ago, mamaclark said:

You are doing all this on TOP of the amount charged for gratuities by O?

They were discussing tips at land-based restaurants.  People do not typically tip in the restaurants on O, although there are exceptions for say, Privee (private rented room) or some other exceptional service.

Just now, AMHuntFerry said:

They were discussing tips at land-based restaurants.  People do not typically tip in the restaurants on O, although there are exceptions for say, Privee (private rented room) or some other exceptional service.

Most of it regarded the bar. I appreciated the tip on using cash rather than just signing to the cabin. Thought I had better check...thanks so much!

11 minutes ago, mamaclark said:

Most of it regarded the bar. I appreciated the tip on using cash rather than just signing to the cabin. Thought I had better check...thanks so much!

Just to be clear, the only tip that is discretionary is the cabin-based gratuity ($18 or $23 per person per day which can be increased or decreased). The gratuities for drinks and spa services are mandatory and will be charged to your account.

5 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

Just to be clear, the only tip that is discretionary is the cabin-based gratuity ($18 or $23 per person per day which can be increased or decreased). The gratuities for drinks and spa services are mandatory and will be charged to your account.

Yes, got it, thanks for reinforcing. The cabin service is always so outstanding, I can't imagine anyone not giving AT LEAST what they suggest.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2023 at 4:14 PM, mamaclark said:

You are doing all this on TOP of the amount charged for gratuities by O?

Yes. Some of us know how to be more generous than others. We're in the hospitality industry. We always tip over and above.We're talking about our attendant(and assistant)For the rest. we tip over & above if we have fixed seating. Otherwise we just leave the auto tip alone. If one removes the auto tip, they should not be cruising. To say I don't have enough is hogwash.

Edited by rbtan
additions

12 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Yes. Some of us know how to be more generous than others. We're in the hospitality industry. We always tip over and above. If one can't/won't, perhaps they should not be cruising. To say I don't have enough is hogwash.

You should not judge people by your standards

You do not know what their circumstances  are

It may be  a once in a lifetime trip 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rbtan said:

Yes. Some of us know how to be more generous than others. We're in the hospitality industry. We always tip over and above.We're talking about our attendant(and assistant)For the rest. we tip over & above if we have fixed seating. Otherwise we just leave the auto tip alone. If one removes the auto tip, they should not be cruising. To say I don't have enough is hogwash.

Wow! I should have been more specific about trying to clarify the bar tab with auto tip vs. cash. Having said that, we are keenly aware of how hard people in the hospitality industry work and, if anything, are a little over the top. We can and do "know how" to do that; for some though this is the trip of a lifetime and they cannot do "over and above." You know what they say...walk a mile in my shoes and those would not be Ferragamos. Have a blessed day.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, mamaclark said:

Wow! I should have been more specific about trying to clarify the bar tab with auto tip vs. cash. Having said that, we are keenly aware of how hard people in the hospitality industry work and, if anything, are a little over the top. We can and do "know how" to do that; for some though this is the trip of a lifetime and they cannot do "over and above." You know what they say...walk a mile in my shoes and those would not be Ferragamos. Have a blessed day.

It's ok to just ignore some posters. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

How about this? I don’t care what you tip. You should likewise care less about how or how much I tip. Please tip as YOU feel appropriate and in your conscience correct. You don’t know how Oceania distributes paid gratuities and they aren’t going to tell you. Get over it.

• Like 7

On 8/7/2023 at 11:38 PM, rbtan said:

Wow, I haven’t cruised with O for quite some time and I thought I’d just look at a few threads and having seen similar judgemental posts on other cruise line forums, I shouldn’t be surprised.

The original question was how much gratuities are and there are six pages all about the ins and outs of gratuities.

I think that cruise lines are now trying to make things as confusing as possible in order to make maximum revenue from innocent customers. 

We originally booked cruise only with $300 per person OBC. We thought we would try having a cruise without a drinks package and only drinking alcohol in our suite, and at the various included cocktail parties. We would no doubt drink a few cocktails ashore when the prices were more reasonable.

We have now been given the opportunity to change our booking to the simply more promotion, losing the $300 credit and gaining a basic drinks promotion and $400 per person excursion credit. The whole business is extremely confusing, but being fortunate enough to travel on many cruise lines. We have got used to this situation or one like it.

I look forward to many replies, giving good advice from many seasoned O customers.

We are from the UK.

7 minutes ago, English Tim said:

Wow, I haven’t cruised with O for quite some time and I thought I’d just look at a few threads and having seen similar judgemental posts on other cruise line forums, I shouldn’t be surprised.

Tips and clothing always seem to bring out the strong opinions; just please don't ask about cookies! 🙂

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

Tips and clothing always seem to bring out the strong opinions; just please don't ask about cookies! 🙂

Or start thread # 5000 on whether you can bring beer, wine, or alcohol aboard! Google , and/or the search function, can be your friend! 🥂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, English Tim said:

have now been given the opportunity to change our booking to the simply more promotion, losing the $300 credit and gaining a basic drinks promotion and $400 per person excursion credit. The whole business is extremely confusing, but being fortunate enough to travel on many cruise lines. We have got used to this situation or one like it.

I look forward to many replies, giving good advice from many seasoned O customers.

We are from the UK.

Just remember the basic drink package is  Wine by the glass & beer  with lunch & dinner  ONLY

The excursion credit is for Excursions ONLY

then you can decide if the new SM works for you  or just stick with the perk you have

3 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Just remember the basic drink package is  Wine by the glass & beer  with lunch & dinner  ONLY

The excursion credit is for Excursions ONLY

then you can decide if the new SM works for you  or just stick with the perk you have

It should work for us, as we like champagne or wine with our dinner, but probably not lunch, and it will encourage us to drink less, due to the high prices of the cocktails.

We might upgrade our drinks package for the last two sea days.

What  they give with one hand, they take with the other!

Just now, English Tim said:

It should work for us, as we like champagne or wine with our dinner, but probably not lunch, and it will encourage us to drink less, due to the high prices of the cocktails.

We might upgrade our drinks package for the last two sea days.

What  they give with one hand, they take with the other!

Well so far you can upgrade  for $30 PP PD  so that is like 2 cocktails PP  😉