Gratuities

SailorJack

On 7/3/2023 at 8:43 AM, pinotlover said:

Excellent point! Most sophisticated diners at fine dining establishments tip a certain amount on the food price ( excluding taxes) and then a set amount per bottle of wine regardless of cost. While the food service might garnish a 20% tip, both a $100 bottle of wine or a $750 bottle will bring an additional $20-$25. Only the Whales tip $20-25% on the total bill amount! 😂. The well greased even tip on the tax amount! 🤪

We're in the hospitality field. We leave on the auto tip but also tip over and above to our attendant and asst.We normally tip about $100 p/p. We do not tip on the tax.

• Thanks 1

On 7/6/2023 at 3:11 AM, grifdoglover said:

@ORV an expensive country to live in where people are the happiest…maybe US could learn a few things.

US could learn a lot of things.

Bit as far as tipping - Why Oceania mandates tipping of alcohol on board instead of just pricing drinks to include that is beyond me TBH. 

Just now, Vineyard View said:

US could learn a lot of things.

Bit as far as tipping - Why Oceania mandates tipping of alcohol on board instead of just pricing drinks to include that is beyond me TBH. 

The bar staff do NOT share in the tipping pool.

So, I have a Prestige Unlimited Drink Package.  I hesitate to even ask this question because even as I am writing it, it sound stupid.  Am I to understand when I order a drink with this package, I will still be paying tax on every drink.  Wow, I feel like an idiot asking this. Be kind with your answers.  I feel vulnerable today. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

So, I have a Prestige Unlimited Drink Package.  I hesitate to even ask this question because even as I am writing it, it sound stupid.  Am I to understand when I order a drink with this package, I will still be paying tax on every drink.  Wow, I feel like an idiot asking this. Be kind with your answers.  I feel vulnerable today. 

I thought I saw somewhere that tips are included with the packages. I am an Oceania Newbie also. Just reading a lot of posts.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Tips are included with drink package qualifying drinks (i.e., there is no additional charge). There will be tips to pay if you order outside of the package - bottles of wine (although in past you receive 15% off bottles), high end scotch, etc.20230622_005825.thumb.jpg.36fbe41121a4cf0cb3c7a988fe79b72c.jpg

Edited by AMHuntFerry
added fuzzy (sorry) scan
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

NO  The gratuity is included in Beverage packages

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

So the 20% just goes to Oceania’s bottom line? Nothing goes to the staff from the tips?

They are talking about the automatic daily gratuities...the tip on beverages goes to the bar staff

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, basor said:

They are talking about the automatic daily gratuities...the tip on beverages goes to the bar staff

Thank you. It  wasn’t clear. I was asking specifically about alcohol tips, and why they can’t make it simple and include them in the prices per drink/glass. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you. It  wasn’t clear. I was asking specifically about alcohol tips, and why they can’t make it simple and include them in the prices per drink/glass. 

Maybe some (mostly American) folks would think they should add an additional tip if it wasn't explicit?

Edited by 1985rz1

4 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Maybe some (mostly American) folks would think they should add an additional tip if it wasn't explicit?

Maybe. But when we are on the other Premium/Lux  lines we have settled with, we don’t feel that way. I also don’t read that others do either. IDK. I just find it less simple when O is trying to be simply more. 

2 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Their cruise line  their rules 😉

2 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Maybe. But when we are on the other Premium/Lux  lines we have settled with, we don’t feel that way. I also don’t read that others do either. IDK. I just find it less simple when O is trying to be simply more. 

Do you pay for drinks on Luxury lines  I thought  they were included  in the fare??

All onboard ship staff have a rank and corresponding pay grade. Tips are primarily used for rewards and employee recognition and motivation programs.

Let’s get serious for one minute. If you’re a twenty or thirty something waitstaff person working where tips represent even a noticeable portion of your income, would you rather work on:

1.  A large ship, with lots of people drinking volumes watching belly flop contests and dancing into the night; or

2.  A small ship with a large number of Teatotallers and geriatrics that are in bed by 9:00?

It’d be interesting to see how some vote! 😂

• Haha 2

The gratuity and TAX is included in the packages.  Some countries will charge a tax (like Brazil) on these packages so best be warned buy these ahead of time.

@Sthrngary  Enjoying my Jamaican Blue Mountain which we freshly roasted yesterday   🙂

2 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

The gratuity and TAX is included in the packages.  Some countries will charge a tax (like Brazil) on these packages so best be warned buy these ahead of time.

@Sthrngary  Enjoying my Jamaican Blue Mountain which we freshly roasted yesterday   🙂

@PaulMCO That sound lovely.  Nothing is as good as a relaxing morning and a hot cup of really good coffee.  In REAL life, I have two cups of coffee.  Really one, but drink it half at a time.  First half is when I wake up, then my dog cries for a walk and I have to let the coffee sit, then it is a cold cup of coffee.  The Only reason I go on cruises is to get a full hot cup of coffee.  Worth the fare, LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Do you pay for drinks on Luxury lines  I thought  they were included  in the fare??

True on “luxury”, at least on SB. On Viking (premium) if you don’t purchase the package, and you purchase drinks we were not taxed - that was before we started buying the package. 
And as you said, their company, their rules, simply more or not, it is what it is

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pinotlover said:

A small ship with a large number of Teatotallers

I'd be curious to learn the proportion.

On our recent Nautica cruise, we went on two ship's excursions where alcohol was available (to accompany tapas). In both cases, I was the only person not drinking (I am teetotal).

13 hours ago, pinotlover said:

All onboard ship staff have a rank and corresponding pay grade. Tips are primarily used for rewards and employee recognition and motivation programs.

Let’s get serious for one minute. If you’re a twenty or thirty something waitstaff person working where tips represent even a noticeable portion of your income, would you rather work on:

1.  A large ship, with lots of people drinking volumes watching belly flop contests and dancing into the night; or

2.  A small ship with a large number of Teatotallers and geriatrics that are in bed by 9:00?

It’d be interesting to see how some vote! 😂

No.2.Plenty of geriatrics on large ships as well.OnOceania the ships have a 1 to 1.5 staff ratio.Not a lot of teetotalers on Oceania as well. The line has high priced quality drinks & pax buy them.Try to get a huge ship into a small port.

• Like 1